***the official unlv class of 2019 interview/acceptance thread***

Interviewing on 10/10, planning to stay two nights from 10/9-10/11. If any females are interested in splitting a room PM me! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They move quick, already filling up interview slots in the middle of November.

Last edited:
Just got my interview invite. I sent my application pretty late. Interviewing on November 21st!!

Reactions: 1 user
Would you mind sharing when you received the "app complete" email?

Thanks!
July 3rd is when I got the app complete and under review

"We have received all of the information and data that you have submitted and your application/file is complete. Your file will now be sent to the admissions committee for review. We will contact you as soon as the committee makes its decision."

Just got my interview invite. I sent my application pretty late. Interviewing on November 21st!!

Just got an interview invite an hour ago...scheduled for Nov 21 as well!

Notification date: 9/15
Method of notification: Email
Residency: WA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/7/2014
Application complete date: 8/8/2014
GPA (science, overall): 3.2, 3.3
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/21/21/28/no

Just a heads up pre-dec slots are full.
Really?? Noooo! :( i was really hoping on hearing from them pre December since I am in state and according to their "formula" I should be pretty safe.. Just goes to show you never know. I guess they must have not liked my PS.

Edit: just out of curiousity, did anyone's AADSAS status change from "app complete" to "under review"? Esp those of you with interviews. Mine still says "app complete"

Last edited:
Mine still says app complete as well. I thought the same thing, that formula made it seem like I'd definitely get an interview. I called them a couple weeks back just to check my status and she said she'd expedite my app into review......still crickets though.

Mine still says app complete as well. I thought the same thing, that formula made it seem like I'd definitely get an interview. I called them a couple weeks back just to check my status and she said she'd expedite my app into review......still crickets though.
Maybe they looked at the other schools we applied to and figured we probably wouldn't go there..? That would be a terrible assumption though because I would love to go to my state school

Members don't see this ad :)
Suddenly the Nov. 14th interview date got cancelled...WHAT THE HECK??!?! THAT'S SO NOT FAIR! Now I'm left with a Dec date even though I could've had Nov. 21st?

Suddenly the Nov. 14th interview date got cancelled...WHAT THE HECK??!?! THAT'S SO NOT FAIR! Now I'm left with a Dec date even though I could've had Nov. 21st?
what??? that can happen?? that is really unfair....did you try to reason with them and see if you can get an pre-december date? Because that is not your fault at all

Just got Interview Invitation (scheduled for Dec 5 attachFull185593). GPA 3.9+, DAT: 21/21/19. Apps mail out 09/12 (took DAT on 09/11, so official score is not even in yet, but I faxed unofficial score over). I was surprised they are amazingly fast, perhaps because I am in State and is going to their undergraduate.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-18_11-7-55.png
    upload_2014-9-18_11-7-55.png
    95 bytes · Views: 77
How did you find out? On the schedule it still shows that it is full.

I called and was told it was just a glitch in their system. I received another confirmation email a few hours after I called so all is well.

I am really disappointed. I don't know why I would get something like this from the admissions office. I even talked to them this morning and they said that they will not review my file until my new DAT scores have been received. My sGPA is 3.06, masters sGPA 3.8, DAT AA-19, TS-19, PAT-19. I am re-taking the DAT in a few weeks and I know that I'll definitely get 20+. The only question I have is why I would get this email from them (see below) right now. Did they not see I did a masters (smp) in a top medical school where the course curriculum is similar to M1s and M2s. These are also the same courses that D1s and D2s take in dental school. I have 3000+ hours of volunteering, I have work experience, 500+ hours shadowing, research experience, amongst the top in my masters, I have taken several upper level courses (a&p, pharm, physio, biochem, molec and cell biology, histology, etc), and I have a strong upwards trend in last 2 years of undergrad and my 1 year masters. There has to be a mistake! Here is the message I received yesterday:

Thank you for your interest in the UNLV School of Dental Medicine. This year we anticipate over twenty-three hundred applications for the seventy-five positions available. This large number of highly qualified applicants makes admission to the School of Dental Medicine extremely competitive. While this is a positive situation for the school, it does necessitate numerous difficult decisions for the Admissions Committee. After careful review of your application, the Admissions committee has arrived at the decision to not consider your application further.

If you are interested in applying for Fall 2016 admission, you must reapply through AADSAS.

The following information is included to give you an understanding of what the Admissions Committee considers when selecting candidates. Likewise, it is intended to assist you in determining the areas in which you need improvement and/or additional experiences. Please keep in mind these are general recommendations. Not all of the suggestions will pertain to your specific application.

• In addition to completing the prerequisite courses, anatomy, physiology, histology, sculpture, public speaking, psychology, business and computer classes will be helpful.
  • Not only does the Admissions Committee value academic success but we consider practical experience to be enormously beneficial as well. This may include working as a paid employee, as a volunteer, or merely observing or shadowing in a dental or other health related practice.
  • Over 90% of our matriculated students have a 4 year degree or higher. Many of our strongest candidates are enrolled in or have completed graduate level studies in the sciences, an experience that has provided them with a broader, more comprehensive foundation for the rigors of a dental curriculum.
  • A supplemental essay is often valuable in explaining vague, inconsistent, or unique areas of a candidate’s application or curriculum vitae. Candidates may discuss their participation in activities that demonstrate their manual dexterity - sculpting, painting, dental lab work, etc.
On the whole, the Admissions Committee at UNLV seeks to enroll well-rounded students. Those students exhibiting strong communication skills, maturity, community participation, a knowledge of and a strong commitment to Dental Medicine, in addition to academic strength, will be considered most competitive. We thank you for the time and effort you put into the application process and offer our best wishes for your success.

the application cycle is a crap shoot lol, I saw this other guy with 3.9 cgpa and 24 aa dat, applied to 12 schools, not a single interview yet lol

Hi all,

Just finished my interview on Friday (19/9), meet with some great people and had a really good time at the dental school.

Here is some info that I think some of you maybe interested:

So far UNLV have send 157 denials, ~1700 applications, they are planning to interview ~350 this year (the number is flexible)

They will be interviewing for the next 6 months and ~25 applicants each time (every Friday).

The interviews itself are with 1 student and 1 faculty, very relax, they really just trying to talk to you and get to know you better.

-side note, from the people who choose to take the taxi, all seems quite expensive, one person told me a taxi charge him $40 from hotel to the school (which only 3-4 miles). I guess my point is try to rent a car if your situation allows.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed with me and the one will be interviewing in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

Just finished my interview on Friday (19/9), meet with some great people and had a really good time at the dental school.

So far UNLV have send 157 denials, ~1700 applications, they are planning to interview ~350 this year (the number is flexible)

They will be interviewing for the next 6 months and ~25 applicants each time (every Friday).

The interviews itself are with 1 student and 1 faculty, very relax, they really just trying to talk to you and get to know you better.

-side note, from the people who choose to take the taxi, all seems quite expensive, one person told me a taxi charge him $40 from hotel to the school (which only 3-4 miles). I guess my point is try to rent a car if your situation allows.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed with me and the one will be interviewing in the future.

Congrats on completing your interview! Was sept 19th the first set of interviews?

Okay, great. I am interviewing on Oct 3rd. It currently says that the interview date is "full", does this imply that there will be 25 students interviewing that day?

Hi all,

I am curious that are there any activities included in the interview, like writing essays or hand skill exercise? The interview is about 6 hours, right!?

Thanks for this. I still haven't received a rejection from any school, so I'm trying to stay positive and patient. Best of luck to anyone that has had or will have an interview soon.

I am curious that are there any activities included in the interview, like writing essays or hand skill exercise? The interview is about 6 hours, right!?

The interview day is pack with different informative briefings, lunch included. You should able to see a schedule in the interview invitation email. A 10 mins writing exercise (nothing to worry) included, no hand skills.

Really?? Noooo! :( i was really hoping on hearing from them pre December since I am in state and according to their "formula" I should be pretty safe.. Just goes to show you never know. I guess they must have not liked my PS.

Edit: just out of curiousity, did anyone's AADSAS status change from "app complete" to "under review"? Esp those of you with interviews. Mine still says "app complete"

I was on another thread (Case, perhaps) with an admin running the show and answering questions and what I understand from him is that "under review" means they're looking to see if it's complete THEN it moves to "app complete" aka it's headed to adcom. Can someone confirm. Thanks!

Anyone staying at Stratosphere for Oct 3rd interview want to share a taxi ?

Anyone staying at palace station? My interview is on October 17th. Wouldn't mind sharing a cab if your in the area. Also open to exploring or getting dinner on October 16th :)

Anyone staying at palace station? My interview is on October 17th. Wouldn't mind sharing a cab if your in the area. Also open to exploring or getting dinner on October 16th :)
I highly recommended Monta Ramen in China town, it's a must try!

I havent looked at hotels yet, was there a good recommendation for a nearby cheaper hotel? Or should I just stay at the Venetian and gamble my cab fair money??

I will also be there on thur night! 4hours of driving should be exciting! :D
I am wondering whether we shoud bring anything to the interview?!. Any advice? ?
-

Last edited:
I will see all of you guys there too! I'm staying a bit further at the Circus Circus hotel but I'll be checking out the school Thursday evening.

Ppl staying at Palace station on 10/2 thursday night want to meet up and chill? msg me!

Anyone interviewing on 10/10? I'm at Palace Station and am looking for people to split a taxi to/from school or walking buddies!

If anyone is interviewing on November 7th and wants to split a hotel room let me know. I'm renting a car too so can give a ride to the campus.

Anyone calculated their pre interview scores yet? Is it true that the average acceptance score is 50?

Anyone calculated their pre interview scores yet? Is it true that the average acceptance score is 50?

i think they're actually looking for high 50s (57+), and then they work their way down… thats the
understanding i got from one of the current students (not the admissions office directly)

Last edited:
For those of you who have received interviews, did your AADSAS status ever change from "application complete" to "under review"? Thanks!

No 55+ is super competitive but 50 and above is considered pretty likely to get an offer at some point (perhaps post-December).

No 55+ is super competitive but 50 and above is considered pretty likely to get an offer at some point (perhaps post-December).
Can someone that is interviewing this friday ask about this and maybe get it directly from them? Thanks