The Official UNLV Dental Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Has anyone heard anything about the scholarships?
Haven't heard a thing... I wonder if they wait for a deposit before they notify those who get them. I know on last year's thread someone said they got a call in January about receiving one totally unexpectedly. Gotta love the waiting game

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't heard a thing... I wonder if they wait for a deposit before they notify those who get them. I know on last year's thread someone said they got a call in January about receiving one totally unexpectedly. Gotta love the waiting game
Thank you for the info!! Are you going to UNLV officially? :)

Thank you for the info!! Are you going to UNLV officially? :)
Yeah I think so! It would take something crazy for me to go elsewhere. I mean, never say never, but I'm 98% sure that's where I'll end up

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I think so! It would take something crazy for me to go elsewhere. I mean, never say never, but I'm 98% sure that's where I'll end up
Why did you decide on UNLV? I'm happy for you, congrats!! I think I will be too :)

Just got a call from Dr. Ancajas about a scholarship award. She is making the calls for those that have been wondering about it.

For those who deposited, did you receive a confirmation email letting you know your seat is secured or they got your documents?

Oh and if getting your deposit post marked before the January 4th is okay. I sent it in three days ago priority mail and been tracking but my package has not been delivered. A bit anxious.

Oh and if getting your deposit post marked before the January 4th is okay. I sent it in three days ago priority mail and been tracking but my package has not been delivered. A bit anxious.
same here :( mine was sent on 22nd

Mine was mailed several weeks ago. I didn't receive an email or anything. I called to confirm and they said it's received! I suggest you do the same. Dawn is so sweet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your bank account. If your missing $750 then your probably good.

Thank you, everyone! For your responses ^-^.

For those of you that interviewed what was the interview day like? And the personal interviews? Although I did hear that they rarely accept oos students but better than nothing I guess, super excited nonetheless!

Last edited:
For those of you that interviewed what was the interview day like? And the personal interviews? I have mine feb 5th! Although I did hear that they rarely accept oos students but better than nothing I guess, super excited nonetheless!
Half of the class is OOS

For those of you that interviewed what was the interview day like? And the personal interviews? I have mine feb 5th! Although I did hear that they rarely accept oos students but better than nothing I guess, super excited nonetheless!
Be yourself, find the excitement to talk about the progress that you have made so far. Make sure to take pride in everything you do, it will be a really relaxing experience. Know the answers to those typical questions and pray to have an easy interviewer :p.

anyone that recently had an interview know how full the class for OOS is??

I have my interview here on Jan. 22nd! For everyone that has interviewed here, what was the interview day like? How many interviews were there (and about how long)? Were the interviews with professors only or with D3/D4 students as well? Were the interview questions pretty typical? Sorry, for the overload of questions haha. Starting to get a pretty nervous :nailbiting: I would love to hear any advice/tips from those that have already interviewed :) Thanks in advance!

I have my interview here on Jan. 22nd! For everyone that has interviewed here, what was the interview day like? How many interviews were there (and about how long)? Were the interviews with professors only or with D3/D4 students as well? Were the interview questions pretty typical? Sorry, for the overload of questions haha. Starting to get a pretty nervous :nailbiting: I would love to hear any advice/tips from those that have already interviewed :) Thanks in advance!

The interview starts around 9am. They basically lecture you about the school, financial aid, curriculum, etc until about 11am-12pm. Then they take you on a tour of the campus and after that you come back for lunch were there are a hand full of students from each year eating with you and talking to you about the school. After that you will be interviews by a D3/D4 for 30 mins and a professor for 30 mins. The interview is really chill and nothing to worry about what so ever. After that they have some closing remarks and your done.

i got the called yesterday Jan12 from Dr. Ancajas. I interviewed in October and obviously got waitlisted/in the pool on Dec 1st.

Stats: OOS from california
GPA: cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.90
DAT: 21, 22, 23, 19 (AA,TS,PAT,Reading)
EC: 146hr dental shadowing, 2 years of undergrad research with a coauthorship publication, double major in biology and chem.

anyone else in the pool, keep ur hopes up. the price of this school is definitely worth it

Last edited:

Last edited:
i interviewed on january 8th. very chill. very conversational between both student and faculty. got a call tuesday around 3pm saying i am accepted so i heard back pretty fast. first acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
Do they extend scholarships to OOS?
Dr. Ancajas said not this year but they're gonna meet as a committee sometime in the near future to discuss whether or not we can get scholarships as OOS while we're in school the next 3 years. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Dr. Ancajas said not this year but they're gonna meet as a committee sometime in the near future to discuss whether or not we can get scholarships as OOS while we're in school the next 3 years. :)

you are not an OOS anymore after the 1st year. so probably second year and beyond, its possible for everyone.

i got the called yesterday Jan12 from Dr. Ancajas. I interviewed in October and obviously got waitlisted/in the pool on Dec 1st.

Stats: OOS from california
GPA: cGPA 3.89, sGPA 3.90
DAT: 21, 22, 23, 19 (AA,TS,PAT,Reading)
EC: 146hr dental shadowing, 2 years of undergrad research with a coauthorship publication, double major in biology and chem.

anyone else in the pool, keep ur hopes up. the price of this school is definitely worth it
Congrats darknightzzz! Have you decided on which school to attend yet?

see you on Dec 5 :)

i interviewed on january 8th. very chill. very conversational between both student and faculty. got a call tuesday around 3pm saying i am accepted so i heard back pretty fast. first acceptance!

same here! interviewed on the 8th and got the call tuesday afternoon. congrats!

Hartmann101h and silverbmw congrats!! Hope to be joining you guys. Interview Feb 12th.
Are you guys IS or OOS?

For potential OOS interviewees, just be prepared to answer persuasively how you will spend your "entire" life practicing general dentistry in Nevada and how you will never come back to your home state after graduation. Just keep proving them with facts and you will be good. how can you handle the hot and dry weather (if you come from california with moderated and good weather). This is for faculty interview. For student interview, try to get to know why/how he/she chose UNLV, how she/he enjoys her/his time here at UNLV, how he/she cooperates with his/her classmates. You can ask about the competitive environment at UNLV and if you think this is a weakness for the school. This school focuses on audio visual learning (which basically means you see you learn you remember) so if you learn by reading and reading over again, try to make it sound like you are an audio visual learner by drawing from your own experiences. Also the lunch before interview is super important, there are so many current dental students there for you to interact. They all know how your faculty and student interviewers are (cuz you will be given a list before the lunch of whom you will have for interview and the faculties are all their didactic or clinical professors). Please don't focus on the food (they will give you super super good food). Use this time to ask around multiple dental students how your faculty and student interviewers are. You can also meet your student interviewer at lunch. Many dental students there will be very straightforward in telling you how the faculty interviewer is, any personal interests and qualities in students the faculty prefers (this is considered a tip-off that i received from multiple students)

Also, the weaknesses of the school, as my interviewer told me, which I never knew, were that the school lacks a library (you want to use a library, drive to UNLV undergrad to use it which is 30 min away and located in congested traffic) and the school lacks a campus field (just some buildings for dental students and future MD students).

There is an admission formulas. So if you gather above 30 points from stats alone, for interview, you need at least 3/5 and 4/5 from each interviewer to jump into acceptance range (If I remember correctly). I remember I have around 32 points from the formula. If you have high 20 points, you need 4/5 and 5/5 probably to jump into acceptance range. Don't freak out if you only have 2-smth or 3-smth out of 100 because the average will have around low 20.

I hope this post is useful somewhat to you guys in your upcoming interviews at UNLV. I wish you guys the best of luck in your coming interviews at UNLV and hope you guys will be my classmates as the cycle draws near. My cycle reaches an end already and I am very happy with my admission to UNLV. I hope my post will not antagonize other potential haters, for some reasons, for tipping off confidential information on UNLV SDN sub forum. And then they private message me how I should delete this post because they "just watch my back for me"

For potential OOS interviewees, just be prepared to answer persuasively how you will spend your "entire" life practicing general dentistry in Nevada and how you will never come back to your home state after graduation. Just keep proving them with facts and you will be good. how can you handle the hot and dry weather (if you come from california with moderated and good weather). ....This is for faculty interview. For student interview, try to get to know why/how he/she chose UNLV,

message me how I should delete this post because they "just watch my back for me"

Current D1 here,

I am the one who pm'd you and suggested you delete it because I think that it can potentially reflect negatively in terms of your comment about the faculty member. I apologize if you took it the wrong way, since this is a public forum. I do need to clear a few misunderstandings about the school.

No one cares you stay in Nevada or not, let me explain it a little better: half of the class is from OSS, during interview, a good friend of mine answered she plan to practice in TX or CA where her relatives located and accepted on Dec 01. In UNLV, we care about more who you really are rather than answering the "right" answer.

Vegas weather is unique and people DO get sick, sorry you feel like the interviewer was using that against you.

Fact: half of the class is OOS, a large portion are from Cali, so OOS isn't too much of a problem.

Additionally, the library is 10 min away, maybe 15 min with traffic.

Last edited:
Current D1 here,

I am the one who pm'd you and suggested you delete it because I think that it can potentially reflect negatively in terms of your comment about the faculty member. I apologize if you took it the wrong way, since this is a public forum. I do need to clear a few misunderstandings about the school.

No one cares you stay in Nevada or not, Vegas weather is unique and people DO get sick, sorry you feel like the interviewer was using that against you.

Fact: half of the class is OOS, a large portion are from Cali, so oos isn't too much of a problem.

Additionally, the library is 10 min away, maybe 15 min with traffic.

Wow you are in DS already and you made such an absolute statement. Yes, they do care. or at least my interviewer did. As I said in thee deleted post, this point took 80% of my interview conversation. 10% about the library. another 10% of why I like the weather in Nevada................I am just saying this in my experience.

are you sure half is OOS? I remember correctly only around 40% (30 smth people are OOS).

Last edited:
Like I said: NO ONE CARE u as a graduate stay in Nevada or not. If your interviewer do, then in school no one care about where u want to practice.

I am in dental school and I can make that statement. Not a single faculty member has bought up that topic. UNLV is a state school, we care about our community and I personally would like to work in federal agency after graduate. I am very out spoken about my goal and no one ever gives me negative feedback on that aspect.

Fact: mandate by Nevada Board Of Regents, UNLV can take up to 50% of OSS student and we do, if it's not 50 then it would be like a 48-49%, pls pardon my poor math skills.

I am really not trying to be rude here but are you suggesting that I don't know my school well enough?

Or are you suggesting that a current dental student don't know the facts about the school as in someone (like an interviewer yourself) who came to school for a day and know more about my school.

I am sorry you take what I say very differently than what I intended. Feel free to contact me for any questions or concerns about the school. I just hope the correct information is out instead of rumors

well, chillax. I am just sharing my experience to help other interviewers about their interview expectation and some scenarios they may run into. LOL I am also going to be in dental school and because you are in dental school, it does not mean what you have said applies to the all faculty and student interviewers. All absolute statements like that are easily refuted.

funny, a faculty interviewer, who represents a school to choose future dental students cares about if I want to practice in Nevada. and you dare to say no one in school cares?

I am not just an interviewee anymore. Yes they can take up to 50% OOS but the presentation I receive showed 40%. Like I said, I just shared about my interview experience and what I saw. In nowhere did I mention you should get your facts checked.

I probably won't need to contact you for questions or concerns. Like I said, I was just sharing my experience. I did not share what I heard from hearsay.

Yeah, sorry for your experience about the weather, expectation to stay in "Nevada for whole life" interview.

In UNLV, I personally don't feel any pressure to stay in NV, like I said, feel really strange that being the case for you.

About the OSS, i am very sure we take half the class from OSS. Something doesn't add up, sorry for the confusion, I will edit what I said

My pre interview score from the formula is a 27......:( I need a miracle

Last edited:
My pre interview score from the formula is a 25......:( I need a miracle

keep your head up high. that is above average already. are you invited for interview?

What is the formula?

PART 1
((CUM GPA + SCI GPA)/8)x(RC/30)x((BIO+QR+OCHEM)/90)x75=A

PART 2
This is your interview performance: Student and faculty interview you and give you a 1-5 with 5 being the best applicant possible.

((Student interview)/5) x (Faculty interview/5) x 25 = B

Cited: from another poster on SDN.

Yea I got an interview in Feb.

Last edited:
Yea I got an interview on feb 5th.

just do well on the interview. a 4/5 and 5/5 will yield you 22.5 additional points and push you to have 47.5 points (i think 40 above stands a chance of acceptance)

even a 4/5 and 4/5 will yield you a 20 additional points and push you to have 45 points.

just do well on the interview. a 4/5 and 5/5 will yield you 22.5 additional points and push you to have 47.5 points (i think 40 above stands a chance of acceptance)

even a 4/5 and 4/5 will yield you a 20 additional points and push you to have 45 points.

Who told you a 40 is equivalent to an acceptance?! That would be cool lol

Who told you a 40 is equivalent to an acceptance?! That would be cool lol

i didn't say equivalent (this is not a fact). but that is the information I received from the presentation at unlv interview (just stands a chance, a possibility, of acceptance)