****The Official UNLV Dental Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Submitted my 4th LOR on 10/7.
Got the "app complete" today.
Then I received a call for an interview right after. I'm super happy right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Never heard of them calling applicants.. But congrats! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow they must really want you! It took them more than 2 months from the time my app is complete to send me an interview invite :(

Wow they must really want you! It took them more than 2 months from the time my app is complete to send me an interview invite :(

I'm not sure but all that matters is you have an interview as well so don't worry! Best of luck on your interview :)

So who knows anything about how the interviews are conducted at UNLV?
You have a series of presentations, a tour of the campus, and and interview with a faculty and student. Oh, and a pretty good lunch.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get the chopping block yesterday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected by UNLV!
So confused, I got interviewed and waitlisted there last time and now have a 4.0 grad GPA and tons of other EC's, letters etc and I didn't even get an interview this year.

Rejected by UNLV!
So confused, I got interviewed and waitlisted there last time and now have a 4.0 grad GPA and tons of other EC's, letters etc and I didn't even get an interview this year.

Just call them and ask if u're curious aha. U got nothing to lose now!

Rejected by UNLV!

Strange. Definitely call and ask why.

Is the grad rebel gateway login same as myunlv
It says a decision has been made and posted on Grad Rebel gateway

Rejected by UNLV!

As everyone else already said, you should call and ask, even if it's just for peace of mind. Your situation is definitely strange considering how much you've improved your application from last year.

Rejected!!
But I called (thanks to you guys for the advice) and they might look at my application again since I retook my DAT after they reviewed my application and the lady on the phone, Vicky, said my DAT is strong. We shall see :X

EDIT: Vicky called & told me that the committee said my GPA is just too low & I should do a post-bac. *sigh* I feel like I made a mistake applying this cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just got my rejection :(
Ws told that 19 for both RC and QR wasn't competitive enough this cycle... (I also applied late, so maybe that's an added reason)

Just got my rejection :(
Ws told that 19 for both RC and QR wasn't competitive enough this cycle... (I also applied late, so maybe that's an added reason)
IDK why they still have not rejected me yet lol (15RC, everything else 20+). do you mind sharing your stats?

IDK why they still have not rejected me yet lol (15RC, everything else 20+). do you mind sharing your stats?
20AA/21TS/22PAT/22BIO/22GC/20OC/19RC/19QR
4.00GPA
about 200hrs shadowing.
about 1000 hrs volunteering at different places.

You can always call and ask them what is your status (for me they told me to call today and after a few hours I received the decision made email)

There's no way they rejected you with a 4.0 and 20AA, with that many volunteering hours. Other EC's? 19 RC/QR can't be the reason for rejection if you had a 4.0. Gotta be something else.

20AA/21TS/22PAT/22BIO/22GC/20OC/19RC/19QR
4.00GPA
about 200hrs shadowing.
about 1000 hrs volunteering at different places.

You can always call and ask them what is your status (for me they told me to call today and after a few hours I received the decision made email)

There's no way they rejected you with a 4.0 and 20AA, with that many volunteering hours. Other EC's? 19 RC/QR can't be the reason for rejection if you had a 4.0. Gotta be something else.

I will admit this is extremely scary for me to hear, and I am sorry TLV-TUS :/. I have a 3.7 with a 21AA and a 19 for Bio, but almost all of the other scores above at a 21 or over. Your stats should be quite competetive, regardless of the one the 2 scores being a 19. I don't know how it is possible I got an interview. Have you looked at their acceptance formula? I don't remember it by heart but I do recall RC being a big factor with QR being a little less significant. But both scores do factor into their equation unfortunately.. And I am guessing maybe that is why they didn't extemd and interview invite?

Either way I don't think you should worry for other schools. You have great stats and you seem like a great applicant. I am sure you will get many other invites.

I will admit this is extremely scary for me to hear, and I am sorry TLV-TUS :/. I have a 3.7 with a 21AA and a 19 for Bio, but almost all of the other scores above at a 21 or over. Your stats should be quite competetive, regardless of the one the 2 scores being a 19. I don't know how it is possible I got an interview. Have you looked at their acceptance formula? I don't remember it by heart but I do recall RC being a big factor with QR being a little less significant. But both scores do factor into their equation unfortunately.. And I am guessing maybe that is why they didn't extemd and interview invite?

Either way I don't think you should worry for other schools. You have great stats and you seem like a great applicant. I am sure you will get many other invites.

Exactly, I'm sure he has other invites so focus on those!

I will admit this is extremely scary for me to hear, and I am sorry TLV-TUS :/. I have a 3.7 with a 21AA and a 19 for Bio, but almost all of the other scores above at a 21 or over. Your stats should be quite competetive, regardless of the one the 2 scores being a 19. I don't know how it is possible I got an interview. Have you looked at their acceptance formula? I don't remember it by heart but I do recall RC being a big factor with QR being a little less significant. But both scores do factor into their equation unfortunately.. And I am guessing maybe that is why they didn't extend and interview invite?

I think you are right, but I saw someone on this post with lower scores, so maybe applying somewhat late was added to the equation some how...

Exactly, I'm sure he has other invites so focus on those!
Thank you guys for your support! They are supposed to email me back next week about what I could improve on my application for next cycle if I need to apply again...
Still waiting to hear back from other schools... only 1 interview invite so far...

I'm BAFFLED you aren't getting tons of interviews. Honestly, it must be applying late if you don't have any black clouds on your application. I have lower stats for my oGPA (3.16) and QR (18) but applied super early, 25RC, and straight As in all science courses the last 2 years for informal post bac.

All in all, I think (on the surface) your stats should get you anywhere. A 19 QR and RC should NOT be a limiting factor.. I'd agree with above posters that they know you will accept somewhere else.

I'm BAFFLED you aren't getting tons of interviews. Honestly, it must be applying late if you don't have any black clouds on your application. I have lower stats for my oGPA (3.16) and QR (18) but applied super early, 25RC, and straight As in all science courses the last 2 years for informal post bac.

All in all, I think (on the surface) your stats should get you anywhere. A 19 QR and RC should NOT be a limiting factor.. I'd agree with above posters that they know you will accept somewhere else.
Thank you very much, I think takin my DAT end of AUG had something to do with it ... I don't think I have anything crazy on my application other than having a degree from outside the US (my degree was evaluated and is equal to a US degree and I took all the prereqs in the US to make sure...)

for those that interviewed, did anyone write down the statistics as to how many they interview from in state, oos, acceptances, etc? I just wanted to look at that information again. aha. thanks

As everyone else already said, you should call and ask, even if it's just for peace of mind. Your situation is definitely strange considering how much you've improved your application from last year.

Just curious since I have been seeing you on the forums a lot lately.. what are your top 5 choices of schools, assuming you got interviews at every school you applied to? I know we would all be extremely fortunate to be able to go to any dental school, but I just wanna have a little fun and ask out of curiosity.

Just curious since I have been seeing you on the forums a lot lately.. what are your top 5 choices of schools, assuming you got interviews at every school you applied to? I know we would all be extremely fortunate to be able to go to any dental school, but I just wanna have a little fun and ask out of curiosity.

Hey man! Yeah, my classes this semester are pretty boring so I've been browsing a lot.

In no particular order, my top 5 choices are:
UNLV, UMKC, UCLA, UCSF, Western U.

Does anyone have some more detailed info on how the interviews were? This is my top school and I really want to be ready!

Does anyone have some more detailed info on how the interviews were? This is my top school and I really want to be ready!

Dress well, plenty of sleep and ready for smiles and good food.

Ain't joking

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Dress well, plenty of sleep and ready for smiles and good food.

Ain't joking

I second this!

Thanks team! Definitely will be getting sleep and looking forward to that food haha. I was curious about whether the interviews were more question/answer style, or more conversational. And hugo, is that a doberman I see?

Thanks team! Definitely will be getting sleep and looking forward to that food haha. I was curious about whether the interviews were more question/answer style, or more conversational. And hugo, is that a doberman I see?

Just chatting basically, and it's my chocolate lab

Just out of curiosity, why is UNLV your number 1?

Haha, I could write a whole essay about that (technically I did) but in short:

- Curriculum
- Community service initiatives
- Mission statement
- Tuition

and a lot of other things all line up perfectly with what I want!

Haha, I could write a whole essay about that (technically I did) but in short:

- Curriculum
- Community service initiatives
- Mission statement
- Tuition

and a lot of other things all line up perfectly with what I want!

What specifically do you like about their curriculum?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The morning was very informative - introductions, lots of information about curriculum, financial aid, the school, etc., then a tour. Make sure you get to talk to some students during lunch and ask any questions you have. In the afternoon there were three interviews - two with faculty and one with a student. My faculty interviews felt super relaxed - they asked questions but more like they were trying to get to know me, not like they were grilling me. I felt like the student interviewer was trying to put me on the spot a little more, but it still wasn't too bad. Students, faculty, and staff were all very approachable and welcoming of any questions. It sounds like you've done your homework. It will be a great day. Just enjoy it and be yourself!

The morning was very informative - introductions, lots of information about curriculum, financial aid, the school, etc., then a tour. Make sure you get to talk to some students during lunch and ask any questions you have. In the afternoon there were three interviews - two with faculty and one with a student. My faculty interviews felt super relaxed - they asked questions but more like they were trying to get to know me, not like they were grilling me. I felt like the student interviewer was trying to put me on the spot a little more, but it still wasn't too bad. Students, faculty, and staff were all very approachable and welcoming of any questions. It sounds like you've done your homework. It will be a great day. Just enjoy it and be yourself!
Interesting... I only had two interviews, one with a faculty and a student.

Interesting... I only had two interviews, one with a faculty and a student.
Oh, that's right. The day I went was an IS-only day and they mentioned that with our group they were going to do one open-file faculty interview and one closed-file (they only had our PS) faculty interview. Student interviewer also just had access to our PS. They did mention that it was a deviation from their normal interview protocol.

Last edited:
Oh, that's right. The day I went was an IS-only day and they mentioned that with our group they were going to do one open-file faculty interview and one closed-file (they only had our PS) faculty interview. Student interviewer also just had access to our PS. They did mention that it was a deviation from there normal interview protocol.
Even more interesting...

Very helpful, thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I'm currently scheduled to interview on Dec. 2nd, but I'm unsure if I want to spend the $400 or so in travel costs for the weekend. Since it's the day after the Dec. 1 deadline, I may know where I want to go before I even attend my interview. (I've already had 3 interviews, two of which are cheaper and I felt very good about my interviews). Would it be worth it to push the interview back? Or just bite the bullet and go?