** The Official UPenn Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread **

Anyone who interviewed Jan 16/17 heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on Jan 17th but haven't heard anything yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview! Anyone have any advice??

Just go and be yourself. I have never had so much fun at an interview. The whole process is incredibly relaxed and enjoyable. Every person that does interviews is positive and not intimidating at all. They like to have a conversation so again just be yourself! And if they like you, most likely you will get in.

If anyone has questions for a current D1 at Penn feel free to inbox me... I love distractions lol :)

Good luck to you all!

For those curious about the timeline after an interview at Penn, it takes about 2-4 weeks for the adcom to release interview results to the candidates.
My interview was on Dec 12, and I heard the good news via phone call on Jan 10th with the package delivered to my Canadian address on Jan 14th. It took more than a usual amount of time because Corky (the admission director who finalizes on the admission decisions), was on her vacation for 2 weeks. Interviews are held twice a week (Thursday and Friday) with 15 people on each date. Then, the admission committee meets in the following week to holistically review your application, and notification happens the week after via "snail mail". Penn does not use electronic means to make notifications so do not panic!Also, if my memory is correct, interviews will be held until the end of April with all the interviewers considered equally. However, I highly doubt that the chances will be the same for late interviewers as UPenn fb members are already close to 100.

Alot of members are comprised of D1,D2, etc...

When I called them a few weeks ago, they supposedly had numerous seats to fill still. UPenn historically has had a high rate of withdrawals because of its high CoA, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were still quite a lot of seats available.

Reactions: 2 users
actually there's only a handful of upperclassmen in there (about 5-8). the rest are part of the 2018 class.

actually there's only a handful of upperclassmen in there (about 5-8). the rest are part of the 2018 class.

I got an interview next thursday lol. Applied in November. I just hope that I get in!

I got an interview next thursday lol. Applied in November. I just hope that I get in!

Can you share your stats? When did you receive the interview invite?

When I called them a few weeks ago, they supposedly had numerous seats to fill still. UPenn historically has had a high rate of withdrawals because of its high CoA, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were still quite a lot of seats available.

What does CoA stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the school is closed today due to weather... By the way, does anyone know what day of the week the committee usually meets?

I think the school is closed today due to weather... By the way, does anyone know what day of the week the committee usually meets?

I'm pretty sure they usually give out calls on Monday. But that's just going off of posts from here and when 2 kids from my interview heard back. Those who got accepted in feb only have 15 days to deposit and this Monday will make it 18 days into Feb so hopefully a few of us get a call !

I'm pretty sure they usually give out calls on Monday. But that's just going off of posts from here and when 2 kids from my interview heard back. Those who got accepted in feb only have 15 days to deposit and this Monday will make it 18 days into Feb so hopefully a few of us get a call !
Lets hope so! When was your interview date?

Lets hope so! When was your interview date?

Jan 17. Kids heard back after just a week later tho. The lady said all apps are still being reviewed so its just that they take the strongest applicants first.

If I remember correctly... Tuesdays? Maybe thursdays too... But i'm not entirely sure about that.

I feel like UPenn gets beat too heavily on SDN on the costs. Once you exclude living expenses (which is highly variable) and health insurance, UPenn, comes out to $315k in tuition, which although it is still expensive, is still much cheaper than MWU-AZ/IL, USC, UOP, NYU, Tufts.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, it's not that much more than the majority of OOS costs for most schools

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of schools are trumped up to be "sooooo expensive" on SDN, but really expensive schools like NYU, Tufts, and MWU-AZ/IL are given a free pass. WesternU, UPenn, and ASDOH/MOSDOH are a few that are over exaggerated in terms of cost.

Can you share your stats? When did you receive the interview invite?

I don't think you're asking the right question when you're asking for stats... knowing that won't do you any good, really.

But to be honest, rather than relying on your stats, you should more focus on the Essays. To strengthen your arguments for the essays, just develop extensive hours shadowing and chair-side assisting a dentist (preferably an alumni), research experiences, and huge community involvement (shows that you're initiative, committed to your work, and can embrace a busy life style). If you're over 3.5 really, just try to get DAT scores at their competitive range. DAT isn't very hard when prepared with the right tools, anyways.

And to finish answering your original question, I got my invite end of January :)

So even though we were told that decisions will come "no earlier than two weeks," we could actually hear back at any time...

Has anyone from Jan. 30th gotten a call?

So even though we were told that decisions will come "no earlier than two weeks," we could actually hear back at any time...

I informed them that I had another deposit that I would have to send in the mail by tomorrow so I guess they were kind enough to save me some money!

From who I have talked to and from what I've seen on sdn it looks like they give out acceptances within a two week window for ur interview date. I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted after 2 weeks from their post-dec interview :/ I lnow 2 kids from my interview (jan 17) who got in 3 days later.

So it seems that they announce acceptances on every Monday.

From who I have talked to and from what I've seen on sdn it looks like they give out acceptances within a two week window for ur interview date. I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted after 2 weeks from their post-dec interview :/ I lnow 2 kids from my interview (jan 17) who got in 3 days later.

If that's true, then it's pretty depressing news. :( I don't know why they'd give a different timeline than the one they're actually following.

I interviewed post dec but didn't get accepted until over a month later

Just interviewed this past week! Anyone know around when I should hear back? LOVED the school.
usually within the next two weeks. I believe that is what corky said.

Ask why they are so damn expensive!!! and then ask about the cheesesteaks.
There are many schools that are much more expensive and are located in much higher cost-of-living areas.

There are many schools that are much more expensive and are located in much higher cost-of-living areas.

You can do a simple google search and find out the cost of attendance at other more expensive schools, but not everyone is applying to those schools. Last I remember, this is a UPenn thread and the fact that there are more expensive schools doesn't make UPenn any cheaper. It's still considered quite expensive.

Besides, if you didn't get the gist of it, I was only joking anyway. You probably don't want to ask this at your interview or about the cheesesteaks. Point is the applicant/interviewer should make a list of questions based on what he/she wants to get out of school. The school's website is a good place to start.

You can do a simple google search and find out the cost of attendance at other more expensive schools, but not everyone is applying to those schools. Last I remember, this is a UPenn thread and the fact that there are more expensive schools doesn't make UPenn any cheaper. It's still considered quite expensive.

Besides, if you didn't get the gist of it, I was only joking anyway. You probably don't want to ask this at your interview or about the cheesesteaks. Point is the applicant/interviewer should make a list of questions based on what he/she wants to get out of school. The school's website is a good place to start.

lol What idiot would actually ask those questions?

Agreed, I asked about the student / teacher dynamics And how student feedback is collected / what improvements or changes have been student driven at the school.

This waiting game suckssssssssssssssssssss It's been 5 days already D:

Did anyone hear from Penn today? It's 4:20pm EST now so I'm assuming they're done with calls for the day.