***The Official UPenn Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

iheartteeth7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I'd go ahead and start one of these. Good luck to everyone!
:highfive:

Oh, and how about that lovely supplemental application with 4 essays?
:eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you find the supplemental? I got an email from them, but I can't seem to find it on the website they gave me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck this year, guys! The supplemental isn't all that bad, I don't think they're looking for anything particularly long; mine was only about a page and a half combined for all the essays.

Good luck this year, guys! The supplemental isn't all that bad, I don't think they're looking for anything particularly long; mine was only about a page and a half combined for all the essays.
Was it Times New Roman, font 12, single space?

Hey everyone, I'm an incoming student to Penn Dental c/o 2018. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone applying to Penn this year for c/o 2019. Reading what the posts have been about so far, you should all try to focus on the content of you supplemental application, more than the quantity of it. Make sure you write something for each of the questions and that your answers are unique! Feel free to DM me if you've got any more questions about the application process and best of luck again to you all!

I mailed my supplementary application yesterday! I also received some info from Penn Dental via snail mail a couple days ago.

Good luck everybody!
I was debating between Penn and Columbia before I chose Penn. Incredible school with an awesome student body, great faculty, and some of the best opportunities available to dental students. Their yearly postgraduate residency placements is testament to their fabulous-ness.

Hope to see some of you next year :)

Reactions: 1 users
Can somebody let me know if applying here is a waste of my time? :(

GPA: 3.97

AA: 21
TS: 21

Ochem: 23
Gchem: 19
Bio: 22
PAT: 15
QR: 19
Reading: 21

Does Penn have a cutoff for any score? I know schools usually say 17, but I couldn't find it anywhere on there website. Advice?

Predentgirl I think you are fine, PAT is low but everything else is great.

Reactions: 1 user
Can somebody let me know if applying here is a waste of my time? :(

GPA: 3.97
AA: 21
TS: 21

Ochem: 23
Gchem: 19
Bio: 22
PAT: 15
QR: 19
Reading: 21

Does Penn have a cutoff for any score? I know schools usually say 17, but I couldn't find it anywhere on there website. Advice?
you can always call and ask them too

Did you guys have anything to write for #1 of the supplemental application ? I feel like all my predental experience was already included in my AADSAS application but leaving a question blank doesn't seem right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys have anything to write for #1 of the supplemental application ? I feel like all my predental experience was already included in my AADSAS application but leaving a question blank doesn't seem right.

If you have anything to expand upon with those experiences I think this is a good opportunity to do so. I'm currently working as a lab tech and simply didn't have the space on the AADSAS app to expand upon all of the work I do, so I used this space as an opportunity to do so. I also included shadowing opportunities I have planned for the rest of the summer and the fall.

If you have anything to expand upon with those experiences I think this is a good opportunity to do so. I'm currently working as a lab tech and simply didn't have the space on the AADSAS app to expand upon all of the work I do, so I used this space as an opportunity to do so. I also included shadowing opportunities I have planned for the rest of the summer and the fall.
This was my question too... because the prompt specifically says "predental experience not included in your AADSAS application." so wouldn't expanding on a experience going off the prompt?

This was my question too... because the prompt specifically says "predental experience not included in your AADSAS application." so wouldn't expanding on a experience going off the prompt?

No, just go more in-depth than what you put in the application. It's an odd/oddly worded question, but this is what they want (or at least in our experiences). As my fellow 2018 classmates have said above (look forward to meeting you next month), quality is more important than quantity here. My whole supplementary responses probably didn't surpass 2 pages total (12pt. Times New Roman, single spaced).

I'm actually pretty excited for this...live only 1 hour away from UPenn..from Jersey :)

Just don't leave it blank :)

Hi everyone. Quick question -- do we need to print and mail the supplemental app to the admissions office? I was wondering if there is a way that we can submit it electronically? Thank you!

Hi everyone. Quick question -- do we need to print and mail the supplemental app to the admissions office? I was wondering if there is a way that we can submit it electronically? Thank you!
I believe the instructions say to print out your responses, attach to that supplemental application, and mail it in. I don't think we were given an option to electronically submit it. Be sure to include everything the school requires.

Thank you both for your responses!!

I was wondering about their Dean's scholarship that's half tuition. I just want to know if I have a shot at all (since that would make it comparable to my state schools' tuition and much easier to decide). I've heard from some that it's up for grabs for anyone - strictly merit based and given to the top several students of the class that are accepted, but I've also heard that diversity/minority/background experience play a part. Anyone know the real answer?

I was wondering about their Dean's scholarship that's half tuition. I just want to know if I have a shot at all (since that would make it comparable to my state schools' tuition and much easier to decide). I've heard from some that it's up for grabs for anyone - strictly merit based and given to the top several students of the class that are accepted, but I've also heard that diversity/minority/background experience play a part. Anyone know the real answer?

I didn't receive one, and wasn't expected to, but I believe it's mostly merit based (read stats). However, Penn puts a lot of emphasis on well rounded applicants with high stats. Having a compelling background coupled with high stats would probably be the formula for snagging one of the Dean's scholarship. How do your stats/background look?

I didn't receive one, and wasn't expected to, but I believe it's mostly merit based (read stats). However, Penn puts a lot of emphasis on well rounded applicants with high stats. Having a compelling background coupled with high stats would probably be the formula for snagging one of the Dean's scholarship. How do your stats/background look?

I messaged you. Thanks!

I second this. I did receive one, just wanted to add that the interview can play a make or break part in it.
Trust me, by the time December rolls around, you'll just be hoping to get an acceptance, you won't have your eyes so set on the scholarship. And who knows, then maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise.

One of my friends that goes to Penn has the Dean's scholarship and I believe he had a 26 AA and >3.9 GPA or something.

Does anyone know the turn-around time on Penn processing apps for interviews?
I think I'm competitive? It's so hard to know with the underwhelming amount of info on dentistry down here in little ole Arkansas since we are OOS everywhere and my university lacks a pre-dental advisor/club.

Good luck to everyone applying!

AA:22
TS:20
Bio:19
Chem:20
Org:23
PAT:21
QC:24
RC:25

oGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.73

Last edited:
I think I'm competitive? It's so hard to know with the underwhelming amount of info on dentistry down here in little ole Arkansas since we are OOS everywhere and my university lacks a pre-dental advisor/club.

Well I know they like to snail mail. When did your completed app get mailed? You should receive an email confirmation from Penn saying they have everything or if you're lacking anything (the supplemental, etc.). I think my friend (TX resident like me) found out last year about his interview maybe in late August/early Sept, interviewed late Sept..I'd say your stats definitely look good enough to get an interview as long as you have good shadowing/volunteer/leadership activities. Good luck!

Just got my email from Penn updating me about my application status (what they've received/haven't, etc.) so I guess not everything runs through the USPS. Mailed the supplemental application two weeks ago, so be patient!

Also got the app complete email today :D

My application last year was complete (with confirmation email from Penn) on July 18th and I received an interview offer August 13th (via email). I'm also OOS

Also got the app complete email today :D
how long did it take for you to get that email? They cashed my check about a month ago but I never received the "app complete" email. idk if I should call..

I mailed my supplemental around the 11th. I never looked to see when they cashed my check.

how long did it take for you to get that email? They cashed my check about a month ago but I never received the "app complete" email. idk if I should call..

I think you should call if you have sent in everything they need (including recommendation letters, supplemental app and fee). I called today and got the "app complete" email right after that.

So....my application was complete on June 24th. Still no word from them yet. On the email it says that they extend interview invites from late July to whenever, but it's August already :/

I think you should call if you have sent in everything they need (including recommendation letters, supplemental app and fee). I called today and got the "app complete" email right after that.
I ended up calling the other day and they apologized that an email was never sent. My app was complete the end of June but the system never sent the notice! Thanks though :)

I just received a Thank You Letter from Upenn for applying via snail mail. Also a packet filled with information about the school. That was nice of them.

Just got an interview!! Scheduled for the 19th! hope to see some of you guys there.

Got an invite as well!!! Haven't scheduled mine yet though :):)

first OOS interview!!! I'm going the 25th! So pumped :)

Wow congrats to everyone getting interviews!

wow congrats guys! for those of you who received interviews, when did you complete your application?

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS GOTTEN AN INTERVIEW!

Would you guys mind filling this out?

School:
Notification date:
Method of notification:
Residency:
AADSAS mail-out date:
Application complete date:
GPA (science, overall)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):

Interview invite! :happy: haven't scheduled it yet though..

School: UPenn
Notification date: 08/05/14
Method of notification: email
Residency: FL
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/07/14
Application complete date: 06/26/14
GPA (science, overall): 4.0, 3.98
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23AA/23TS/28PAT/23RC/none

School: UPenn
Notification date: 08/05/14
Method of notification: email
Residency: NY
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/20/14
Application complete date: 06/30/14
GPA (science, overall): 3.94, 3.99
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21AA/21TS/22PAT/24RC/none

Congrats to everyone who got an interview. Now I'm a bit worried considering I was first batch with competitive stats. Didn't get an email or notification :(