***The Official UPenn Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I'm not one to usually fall for advertising, but their brochure they sent really left an impression on me and bumped them far up my list. Already very anxious to get an invite!!

I loved it too... except my mom came into my room screaming that I got an interview from Penn without even opening the envelope

smh

They shouldn't send such large things in the mail without warning

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I loved it too... except my mom came into my room screaming that I got an interview from Penn without even opening the envelope

I told my mom that all rejections come in the mail so she had the total opposite reaction :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
Received an interview invite about an hour ago! So relieved/happy :clap:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like UPenn sends out invitations every Friday.

Reactions: 1 user
took the DAT today. AA: 21 PAT: 21, gpa 3.45

Any hope left for me at upenn? I do have stellar essays and come from a disadvantaged background.

took the DAT today. AA: 21 PAT: 21, gpa 3.45

Any hope left for me at upenn? I do have stellar essays and come from a disadvantaged background.

Probably not this late... have you submitted your app yet?

Just getting around to this supplemental now and I'm just wondering if you guys focused on academic stuff for the 2nd question or if it's really as open as they make it seem. I really, really don't want to blabber on about how I wish I would have been more focused as a freshman yadda yadda lol

Do you guys think it's too late to submit my supp? My app was received 7/30... I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to write any more essays lol I still have ucsf to do ._. I only added penn cause of family pressure :confused:

Do you guys think it's too late to submit my supp? My app was received 7/30... I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to write any more essays lol I still have ucsf to do ._. I only added penn cause of family pressure :confused:

If you only added them because of pressure, don't bother... if you aren't motivated enough to apply, I'm sure that'll come across in the essays in some form or another. If you think you actually do want to apply, though, go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait it's too late to submit the supplement? I thought it's still "early" in the process as long as your primary and dat were done, and gpa etc was verified...

Wait it's too late to submit the supplement? I thought it's still "early" in the process as long as your primary and dat were done, and gpa etc was verified...

Who said that?

Pulltheleverkronk out here trying to dissuade possible competition

Probably not this late... have you submitted your app yet?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1439931830.607640.jpg

You sly dog you

Reactions: 3 users
Not to be creepy but does anyone want to share a hotel for the 9/10 interview? Also thinking to self-tour the city the next day.

Pulltheleverkronk out here trying to dissuade possible competition

Haha I was asking if he had submitted his app yet... if his GPA hasn't been verified, then it'll be a while until they get to his application. Even with a 21AA, competitive people still have a hard time that submit in June. Not trying to nix competition... I told another person right before him that they should still do the supplemental if they wanted to (as long as it wasn't just his/her parents influencing them).

JUSSSSSSS SAYINNNNNN THOOOOOOOO

Haha I was asking if he had submitted his app yet... if his GPA hasn't been verified, then it'll be a while until they get to his application. Even with a 21AA, competitive people still have a hard time that submit in June. Not trying to nix competition... I told another person right before him that they should still do the supplemental if they wanted to (as long as it wasn't just his/her parents influencing them).

JUSSSSSSS SAYINNNNNN THOOOOOOOO

I suppose, however, we are building a new club in this thread. The 24AA and over club.

@whitepapertree it's only my opinion... if he hadn't e-submitted yet, his chances are significantly lower. I'm just being objective. If he JUST took his DAT and hadn't submitted his application, he would have a hard time. If you look at the thread right now and see who's getting interviews, his stats don't match anyone who's there. I also didn't even get a chance to reply to what he said before you got all butthurt... his first post made it sound like he didn't even have his application in yet.

Telling someone that their chances are slim / my opinion doesn't equate to trying to eliminate competition. I literally told @plumerias (21AA) that they should still apply. Same stats, different opinions. It can happen.

@pulltheleverkronk I decided not to apply after pondering about it and taking a quick glance at the tuition, haha... Pulled my ucsf and western apps too.. I think even if I got into those schools I wouldn't be able to afford em :eek:

Anyway, if any of you want a tour or any info about philly, I live in center city and I'd be more than delighted to give advice or even meet up! :) just send me a pm~

@plumerias yeah, the tuition makes me want to cry a little.

or a lot. I'll might take you up on the meet-up sometime, though. If I'm in Philly I'll shot you a DM for sure!

@pulltheleverkronk I decided not to apply after pondering about it and taking a quick glance at the tuition, haha... Pulled my ucsf and western apps too.. I think even if I got into those schools I wouldn't be able to afford em :eek:

Anyway, if any of you want a tour or any info about philly, I live in center city and I'd be more than delighted to give advice or even meet up! :) just send me a pm~

Sweet! Thanks buddy I was hoping someone would say this hehehe

How long did it take for the secondary fee to arrive at Penn for everyone?

@plumerias yeah, the tuition makes me want to cry a little.

or a lot. I'll might take you up on the meet-up sometime, though. If I'm in Philly I'll shot you a DM for sure!

just a note about the tuition costs to anyone that is scared away by that - YES they are INSANE! But keep in mind Penn gives probably the most substantial scholarships of anywhere in the country and it's honestly really not predictable as far as who gets them. You NEVER know what might happen, so I would just say to anyone that thinks they are signing their life away with the Penn tuition, still apply! I didn't get a scholarship upon acceptance in December, but I got one in mid January and it was boosted just last month so now I have the max dean's scholar amount of $30k/year.

Reactions: 2 users
just a note about the tuition costs to anyone that is scared away by that - YES they are INSANE! But keep in mind Penn gives probably the most substantial scholarships of anywhere in the country and it's honestly really not predictable as far as who gets them. You NEVER know what might happen, so I would just say to anyone that thinks they are signing their life away with the Penn tuition, still apply! I didn't get a scholarship upon acceptance in December, but I got one in mid January and it was boosted just last month so now I have the max dean's scholar amount of $30k/year.
That's amazing! What was unique/strong about your application?

26 on the DAT and perfect gpa...
I promise when they say it's "merit based" that is not all that they decide upon. Like I said I didn't get one in the first round of acceptances when a lot of others did so obviously there are other factors involved. A lot of times it goes to people with non traditional backgrounds or people who have really unique experiences before dental school. It's not need based necessarily but I'm sure they subconsciously think about that too. I've heard they really look at where you went to undergrad too and my school was far from Ivy-league. So like I said, you never know.

For current Penn students and people who got an interview this year, which hotel/inn are you staying at? I'm looking at Hilton inn, and it's quite pricey!

For current Penn students and people who got an interview this year, which hotel/inn are you staying at? I'm looking at Hilton inn, and it's quite pricey!

The double tree Hilton at the airport.

It was like 130 a night or something. I'm not getting in until like 1 am though so worth the short travel.

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport, Philadelphia about $110/night and good location

If you call the local hotels, they have special deals for students visiting universities!

which ones in particular do you know offer special deals for visiting students?

There's flyers in the packet that comes in. Most of them are close to or on campus and UPER expensive even with the discount lol.

Hey guys! I got an invite but am not sure when to schedule my interview. I have another interview on oct 2, so I can schedule mine for either the last week in sept or the second week in october. I would really like to go to the oct 2 interview first because I'm less nervous for that, but will mid october be too late? Should I go ahead with the september date instead?

What would you guys do? Schedule an earlier interview? Or get one interview experience out of the way to prep you for Penn?

Hey guys! I got an invite but am not sure when to schedule my interview. I have another interview on oct 2, so I can schedule mine for either the last week in sept or the second week in october. I would really like to go to the oct 2 interview first because I'm less nervous for that, but will mid october be too late? Should I go ahead with the september date instead?

What would you guys do? Schedule an earlier interview? Or get one interview experience out of the way to prep you for Penn?
2nd week of oct won't be too late at all. Even the difference between a sept and nov interview wouldn't be the factor that keeps you from getting an acceptance.

2nd week of oct won't be too late at all. Even the difference between a sept and nov interview wouldn't be the factor that keeps you from getting an acceptance.
Thanks, have you scheduled your interview yet? Did you receive the interview packet in the mail?

Last edited:
No I just sent my supplemental on friday, but my advice is true for all schools. The difference between time slots for pre-dec interviews won't make or break you. If you **** up the interview on Sept 1, you're not getting in. If you interview well on Nov 30th you have an infinitely better chance.

Oh also, when would be a good time to start buying plane tickets and hotel nights? I'm from California.. So I'm trying to not get too crazy.. haha

Now haha
I made my interviews for UPENN and Columbia back to back so I can just take a train between the two and save a ton of money.

Use southwest I just got a flight from New York to Salt lake for 147. Not too shabby

Well that would be nice.... if Columbia would just give me an invite already! Sheesh. Haha

But okay, right now it's saying ~$200 from San Diego to Philly. But roundtrip is $365. Never flew to the east coast before, so I have no idea what is outrageous and what is normal. haha

Haha I got you confused you have UoP you dog.

Just look up the same flights for Delta, United, Jet Blue etc.
You'll see

Ps: That sounds great for round trip

Last edited: