***The Official UPenn Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

when you called columbia (or any school) to ask about the status of your app, how much info do they give you? is it just something like "yeah we received it and you'll hear back in the next few months"?
they said that it is actively under review, that's it..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what's the difference between an Advanced Educational General Dentistry (AEGD) and General Practice Residency (GPR)? 33% of PennDent graduates go through these routes (source: info booklet)

Just called to schedule my interview and they are all full until post December

has anyone gotten an email confirmation after scheduling penn interview?
i didn't get anything after calling them to schedule and wanted to make sure thats the norm

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn said in the app complete email that they don't use the portal to notify us of changes, but my portal status was "app complete" for 2 full months and on 10/26 it changed to "app under review." Kind of confused by that if they really don't use the portal for anything.

Last edited:
Penn said in the app complete email that they don't use the portal to notify us of changes, but my portal status was "app complete" since early september and on 10/26 it changed to "app under review." Kind of confused by that if they really don't use the portal for anything.
Mine also got changed but haven't heard back from them since.. I guess they are sort of using it??

Is it too to send the supplemental essay portion now and hope to get an interview? or no chance?

Is it too to send the supplemental essay portion now and hope to get an interview? or no chance?
I'd say go ahead and mail it out; you never know until you try! Maybe for a post-Dec interview!

has anyone gotten an email confirmation after scheduling penn interview?
i didn't get anything after calling them to schedule and wanted to make sure thats the norm

They send you a lunch order form and interview confirmation form in the mail which you have to send back to them via email or mail (this is after calling them to schedule your interview)

anyone know if more waves have gone out yet?

I don't know about waves, but I got an interview invite on 11/4. My app was complete 9/4. The earliest date was Dec 10th and they had a few early/mid January dates. Good luck everyone :)

D2 @ Penn dental here. I know that hotel fees can be quite high around here so if anyone needs a place, you guys are welcome to crash. just paying it forward from the times my friends and colleagues offered me a place. interviews can get really expensive. just shoot me a PM. best wishes everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
haven't heard back from them yet. what are the chances of me hearing back post december now?

Last edited:
Anyone know what's the difference between an Advanced Educational General Dentistry (AEGD) and General Practice Residency (GPR)? 33% of PennDent graduates go through these routes (source: info booklet)
GPR is further training for one or two years in hospital-based dentistry mainly. AEGD is learning more advanced procedures for general dentists. Penn graduates do these programs typically because: 1. they may not feel ready to practice dentistry in the "real world" upon graduation, 2. completing a GPR or AEGD give you a higher chance to get into a speciality program, or 3. They want to practice in New York, Delaware, or California which require that dentists completed these training programs in order to get licensed.

GPR is further training for one or two years in hospital-based dentistry mainly. AEGD is learning more advanced procedures for general dentists. Penn graduates do these programs typically because: 1. they may not feel ready to practice dentistry in the "real world" upon graduation, 2. completing a GPR or AEGD give you a higher chance to get into a speciality program, or 3. They want to practice in New York, Delaware, or California which require that dentists completed these training programs in order to get licensed.
Thanks for a succinct answer! If so many dental students become general dentists, why doesn't every dental student, who wants to become a general dentist, pursue an AEGD to gain knowledge of complex procedures? Surely, they learn more and can profit from the ability to perform a procedure that another dentist cannot perform.

anyone know when penn fill most of its incoming class? this way I know when to bring my expectations down...

From previous years and people I know, it's post-december. Current students might be able to provide better insight

Anyone interviewing Friday 11/20 want to split a hotel on campus the evening before?

Anyone on their interview day went over pre-requisites with an admissions officer? Got a call today to do such (interviewed laat friday). Just curious if anyone had a similar experience

Hi everyone! Has anyone from 13th bath (or later) heard back from UPenn? Canadian applicant here and am getting really anxious, haha. Wishing you all the best! :)

Hi everyone! Has anyone from 13th bath (or later) heard back from UPenn? Canadian applicant here and am getting really anxious, haha. Wishing you all the best! :)
You may not hear from them for a while... I'm in state and batch 8 and still waiting

You may not hear from them for a while... I'm in state and batch 8 and still waiting
Thanks for your reply! I just noticed that it changed to 'under review'...:/ but I guess it doesn't mean much based on what others have said:( hope you hear back soon!

Got the interview invite by email on Friday 11/13 ill call them Monday. 5th or 6th batch?

Edit: Jan 7th interview scheduled.

I believe there is only jan7/8 available! Good luck everyone and hang in there!

Last edited:
Thanks for a succinct answer! If so many dental students become general dentists, why doesn't every dental student, who wants to become a general dentist, pursue an AEGD to gain knowledge of complex procedures? Surely, they learn more and can profit from the ability to perform a procedure that another dentist cannot perform.
I can answer this from my perspective only: but, after spending a good 21 years of my life in school, I am certainly ready to start my life and begin practicing upon graduation. I don't want to have to move anywhere for an extra year of education, and then have to move again to where I am going to be practicing. I want to have kids before I'm 35, buy a house, get settled, etc.

Interview...

Notification date: 11/19/15
Method of notification: Email
Interview Date: 1/14/15
Residency: PA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/31/15
Application complete date: 8/7/15
GPA: 3.73 science/3.70 BCP/3.82 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23 AA/22 TS/19 PAT/23 RC/none

Edit: Added interview date

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Interview...

Notification date: 11/19/15
Method of notification: Email
Interview Date: TBD
Residency: PA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/31/15
Application complete date: 8/7/15
GPA: 3.73 science/3.70 BCP/3.82 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23 AA/22 TS/19 PAT/23 RC/none

Congrats!

Rejected by mail today. Probably due to my lower gpa and very little volunteer experience. Good luck to to the rest of you!

Interview invite my postal mail yesterday
Letter dated November 13th, but received no email

D1 here! I know you are all anxiously awaiting Dec 1st decision day or interview invites still. Just want to send some encouragement your way b/c I would say a good chunk if not the majority of my classmates were accepted later/interviewed later. A lot of people that get into Penn on Dec 1st get multiple acceptances, and naturally they're not all going to choose to come to penn b/c of money, getting into state schools, other factors, etc. So just saying, take heart no matter if you get your early Christmas gift or not :) Let me know if you guys have any questions about life at Penn! I had a roller coaster decision process, and I can say that I am beyond happy with my decision so far.

Reactions: 2 users