*** The Official UTHSC-Memphis Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

DentVols17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to all applying this cycle! I will be starting at UTHSC this fall so I'm familiar with the application process as it applies to UT, so if anybody has school specific questions relating to the application cycle or the institution itself, I will try my best to be a helpful resource. Go Vols!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying here this cycle. What made you choose Memphis?

I would say my main reason for choosing Memphis was because it's my state school and the fact that I'd like to practice in Tennessee after graduation. It's significantly less expensive for me to go there versus somewhere OOS (~ $75-100k less). Also, UT has a great reputation for producing clinically sound dentists by virtue of their private practice education model; not really the place to be for extensive research, yet it seems like there are plenty of opportunities to be involved in campus/community programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply

So besides Arkansas residents how many OOS students does Tennessee actually take? like 10?

I would say the average class has around 7-10 OOS students per year. The class size has increased over the last few years mainly for Arkansas students but possibly for another OOS student or two.

Interview invites should have already gone out for the first 2 interview dates: 7/19 and 8/2.

Just took my DAT...So I guess they won't look at my application until first week of August

Interview invites should have already gone out for the first 2 interview dates: 7/19 and 8/2.
How do you know this? I am in state and applied the day after the application came out. I have everything completed and this is the only school from which I am yet to hear anything.

How do you know this? I am in state and applied the day after the application came out. I have everything completed and this is the only school from which I am yet to hear anything.

I saw the July calendar for the school the other day.

I still haven't heard anything since the "application is complete and is being reviewed" email. And that email said not to contact them to ask about the status, so I'm just waiting patiently and anxiously...

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard anything since the "application is complete and is being reviewed" email. And that email said not to contact them to ask about the status, so I'm just waiting patiently and anxiously...

yep. same here. Just waiting patiently.

Check your emails. Interview invite today. They give you different days to schedule. I scheduled mine for August 2nd. Almost scheduled for the 9th, but decided to be bold and do it as early as possible. Stats in signature. Arkansas resident.

Recieved Interview Invite this afternoon. I think I'm going to schedule for the 23rd. Lower GPA/DAT but strong upward trend, good ECs, great Lors. Good Lucl guys!

I got an invite today as well. Think I'm going to schedule for the 23. Excited!

I keep getting screwed with these OOS %s saved for Ark residents. Happened when I applied to LSU last cycle. Do they take non-Ark students?

I keep getting screwed with these OOS %s saved for Ark residents. Happened when I applied to LSU last cycle. Do they take non-Ark students?

they take 10 or so non-arkansas oos students.

If UT and LSU didn't save those seats for Arkansas residents they would all be (mostly) for in state students, so who do you think is really getting screwed?

I think you're taking it the wrong way. I meant I saw that they accept a certain % of OOS and applied there; however it turns out that the OOS spots are even fewer because there are a certain amount reserved for Ark applicants. I was short sighted when I applied to LSU because they stated that they save spots for Ark residents; however, I don't see anything on the UTHSC site that says they do the same. I have no problem with them saving seats for Ark students. It would be nice if they listed it so people don't waste their money with little to no shot at getting a spot.

Just came back from my interview, It was very laid back. No tricky questions or anything. The girls I interviewed with were very cool. He said they only save 10 true oos spots. The rest of the class is Tennessee and Arkansas residents.Building looks shady on the outside, but once inside, the clinic looks nice. Nice fancy new chairs. I was wowed. Ran into 1st years doing orientation stuff and 2nd years in sim lab. It was nice. Really nice facilities on the inside.

Just came back from my interview, It was very laid back. No tricky questions or anything. The girls I interviewed with were very cool. He said they only save 10 true oos spots. The rest of the class is Tennessee and Arkansas residents.Building looks shady on the outside, but once inside, the clinic looks nice. Nice fancy new chairs. I was wowed. Ran into 1st years doing orientation stuff and 2nd years in sim lab. It was nice. Really nice facilities on the inside.

What kind of questions were you asked? I scheduled my interview for next Friday, and I am worried about it.

What kind of questions were you asked? I scheduled my interview for next Friday, and I am worried about it.

really nothing hard. The hardest question I got was "tell me about yourself". In fact most of the time, they are trying to convince you to pick dentistry and to pick their school. They didn't ask me why do I want to come to their school or anything like that. It's really just a conversation about your extra-curriculars. He said he doesn't want to admit 90 nerds in the class, so the interview is to find out what else you can give them personality wise. Things you do for fun. Just want to see if you had a life and if you can get along with others in the class. They pride themselves on having camaraderie in all the classes. It's really just to know you. I know it's hard to relax because it's an interview. Everyone was telling me to relax and that it was no big deal. I was very nervous until I walked into the room. Not bad at all. You will do fine.

really nothing hard. The hardest question I got was "tell me about yourself". In fact most of the time, they are trying to convince you to pick dentistry and to pick their school. They didn't ask me why do I want to come to their school or anything like that. It's really just a conversation about your extra-curriculars. He said he doesn't want to admit 90 nerds in the class, so the interview is to find out what else you can give them personality wise. Things you do for fun. Just want to see if you had a life and if you can get along with others in the class. They pride themselves on having camaraderie in all the classes. It's really just to know you. I know it's hard to relax because it's an interview. Everyone was telling me to relax and that it was no big deal. I was very nervous until I walked into the room. Not bad at all. You will do fine.

Thanks for your fast response !!!

Last edited:
I was wondering as well! Good to know it's laid back. Does anybody know how many people get interviews? Or roughly what percentage of interviewees get accepted?

I believe they said that close to 50% of everyone who interviews gets accepted

Does this school have supplemental apps?? Or do they just email you to send a app fee??

Does this school have supplemental apps?? Or do they just email you to send a app fee??

Tennessee does not have a supplementary application fee (I think they might be the only one).

Question for others: I know that so far Tennessee has only offered interviews to in-state residents and Arkansas residents, based on what has been said on SDN. Do you know when they are going to extend interviews to other out of state applicants?

Got my interview invite this afternoon! I am in state resident

Tennessee does not have a supplementary application fee (I think they might be the only one).

Question for others: I know that so far Tennessee has only offered interviews to in-state residents and Arkansas residents, based on what has been said on SDN. Do you know when they are going to extend interviews to other out of state applicants?

At my interview, they said they hadn't started handing interview invites to the true oos yet. They said September is usually when they start that

I got my interview invite yesterday, and I scheduled it for September 27th this morning! Hopefully that's not too late of an interview. I really wish I could just go now haha

Good luck to all of you

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Hey,

So.. UT is the only school I have not heard back from..I never received an email saying that they got all my stuff and my application is in review like I have from other schools. I applied and was first batch...

Have other OOS students received any emails? I am getting worried... Also what is this thing about then reserving spots for Arkansas residents?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

Yeah almost all their OOS spots are for Arkansas residents. They do not contact you unless they want to interview you. You only do a supplemental after you interview. Most likely, you won't hear from them unless it is about an interview.

Yeah almost all their OOS spots are for Arkansas residents. They do not contact you unless they want to interview you. You only do a supplemental after you interview. Most likely, you won't hear from them unless it is about an interview.

yea...they have 10 true oos spots

Just for the record, any pre-Dec interview is not considered "late". I interviewed later in the semester and 5/10 people on my interview day still got accepted. UT likes to fill their class ASAP and they will try to fill a large % of the class on Dec. 1.

Just got my interview invite today! I'm a true OOS student (from Mississippi). I chose to go on October 18th.

Hey guys, if any out of towners need a place to stay for an interview, you can stay at my place for cheap. I am here in Memphis only about 7 mi (15 minutes) from UTHSC. I'm an applicant this year too, but I interviewed last year so I don't have to interview this year again. Anyways, my wife and I have our place up on airbnb.com for a place to stay. Contact us through that if you need a place to crash!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1578531

Also, I might be able to pick you up from the airport if you're flying in for a few extra bucks (gas money of course!)

Last edited:
Yall, Im OOS and got an interview email 9/3
Im pretty pumped because this is first interview of many to come :)

Hey guys, if any out of towners need a place to stay for an interview, you can stay at my place for cheap. I am here in Memphis only about 7 mi (15 minutes) from UTHSC. I'm an applicant this year too, but I interviewed last year so I don't have to interview this year again. Anyways, my wife and I have our place up on airbnb.com for a place to stay. Contact us through that if you need a place to crash!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1578531

Also, I might be able to pick you up from the airport if you're flying in for a few extra bucks (gas money of course!)
Email me more info! [email protected]

Is the supplemental just to sign the 4th page of the documents? I just received the interview invite today and that was all that was said in the email.

So.. what is their interview like?
group interview? or individual interviews?
any questions that surprised you.??

Individual interviews. Most of the interviews were straight forward. Didn't have any questions that came out of nowhere. The other interviewees seemed really nice

Individual interviews. Most of the interviews were straight forward. Didn't have any questions that came out of nowhere. The other interviewees seemed really nice
I agree. Most of the questions were about expanding on things from your personal statement or ec's listed on your application. Very low stress day, I had a good group too.

I have a interview as well, OOS from Mississippi, Nov. 1st Interview