***The Official UWSoD Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

postpitadh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For UWSoD discussion. Go dawgs!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an incoming D1 (CO 2020) who was in your position last year. We start in 10 days, and right now the administrators are all actively preparing for our orientation week.

Because I know a lot of you motivators are anxiously awaiting word on your early applications, I'll provide some info from my experience that I hope will be helpful.

Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.8
DAT AA: 19
Other: Non-resident, non-traditional, military veteran, bilingual applicant

AADSAS Application Submitted: June 26
UWSOD E-mail Notification of Application Receipt: July 23
UWSOD E-mail Invitation to Complete Supplemental Application: August 17
UWSOD E-mail Invitation to Interview: September 22 (two-day reservation made without applicant input)
UWSOD E-mail Regarding Interview Details: October 6
UWSOD E-mail Regarding Interview Reminder: October 16
UWSOD AADSAS Status Update: December 1 ("Offer Made" followed by a personal phone call)

It's worth noting that I interacted with numerous schools during the 2015-2016 application cycle, and in my opinion UWSOD had by far the most organized, methodical approach in screening and communicating with the thousands of applicants they review in a given cycle.

Rest assured you'll be hearing from admissions soon enough. In the meantime, you may find the SDN Overview/Interview Feedback page useful in preparing for a potential interview.

I'll check back routinely for follow-up questions. Best wishes to all. Good luck!

Great info thanks!

...would a gpa of 3.46 cgpa and 3.38 sgpa be too low for UW? Resident, haven't taken the DAT yet, but not sure if a high score would even make up for my gpa.

I was reading the posts of last years thread and the stats of the people who were rejected scared me.

and @karanja is there a specific reason you chose UW despite being a nonresident and the tuition? Genuinely curious, hope I don't sound rude asking. It seems the UW tuition for OOS students is pretty steep (understatement). Do you have good scholarships lined up?

Sorry for prying. I've just been really stressed about the impending debt load if I ever get into dental school so hearing about how others are planning on tackling their debt is mildly soothing.

Last edited:
@karanja Could I PM you to ask some questions about the school/curriculum?

Seeing a new post in this thread got my hopes up about supplementals haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Shoot I hope I get it soon too. IS.

Is it a long secondary application with lots of essays?

Not very long, no. Short essay questions (3-5 sentences per question).

Members don't see this ad :)
Put a lot of effort into those secondaries!! I strongly believe my secondaries got me an interview last year.

Secondary received today! IS, submitted everything 6/7, notified everything was complete 7/18. :)

Secondary received today as well. Submitted 7/7, 7/18 app received. Gotta crank this one out within a week and pay that hefty supp fee.

Reactions: 1 user
Also got it today. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if supplemental requests are automatically mailed out if you're in state?

Not very long, no. Short essay questions (3-5 sentences per question).
That seems really short?! Do you think 3-5 sentences is really enough to answer the questions thoroughly (especially with the size of the boxes they provide for the response)

That seems really short?! Do you think 3-5 sentences is really enough to answer the questions thoroughly (especially with the size of the boxes they provide for the response)

I have found myself writing 1000-1500 characters or so per questions. The shortest character count any school has given me thus far is 1000, so I can't imagine it would be ridiculous to have responses that hover around there or a bit more. 3-5 sentences would be woefully inadequate to answer these questions, IMO. How much are you planning to write?

I have found myself writing 1000-1500 characters or so per questions. The shortest character count any school has given me thus far is 1000, so I can't imagine it would be ridiculous to have responses that hover around there or a bit more. 3-5 sentences would be woefully inadequate to answer these questions, IMO. How much are you planning to write?
Same for me, my responses are slightly over 1000 characters. The shortest one I have is for question 6 :)

I ran out of space on question 6...

Woah. Well, different strokes for different folks, haha. I felt like I was sort of pushing the "one paragraph" as is, but as long as you're concise in what you are saying I'm sure you're fine too!

Woah. Well, different strokes for different folks, haha. I felt like I was sort of pushing the "one paragraph" as is, but as long as you're concise in what you are saying I'm sure you're fine too!
I'm only kidding, my joke didn't translate well through words haha.

1000 characters is a solid paragraph. I think 8-10 sentences is enough to answer the questions without going overboard or repeating yourself.

Put a lot of effort into those secondaries!! I strongly believe my secondaries got me an interview last year.
I just received mine on the 9th, I am an instate applicant, graduated from UW with a not too stellar GPA (3.46 overall, 3.2 science) DAT: 20 TS 20 AA 21 RC 18 QR and 22PAT, so I feel like my application is definitely riding on this! Mind if I PM you for some advice?

I just received mine on the 9th, I am an instate applicant, graduated from UW with a not too stellar GPA (3.46 overall, 3.2 science) DAT: 20 TS 20 AA 21 RC 18 QR and 22PAT, so I feel like my application is definitely riding on this! Mind if I PM you for some advice?
Your stats are similar to mine. PM me! ^This guy actually got in. His advice may be more helpful ha

For the Future Courses section, what are people doing? Are you guys just writing your AUT 2016 courses or all your courses for next year (WIN 2017, SPR 2017)?

Has any OOS gotten the supplemental?

3.8 sGPA, 3.75 tGPA
21 TS, 20 AA, 20 PAT

I heard they are not OOS friendly so I'm starting to think I have no chance...

3.8 sGPA, 3.75 tGPA
21 TS, 20 AA, 20 PAT

I'm wondering the same thing!
3.73 total gpa
23AA 22TS 19PAT

Then again, I didn't put all the microbiology stuff in my planned courses. That may be a drawback in my case. This is the only school that I applied to that requires microbio, so I'm not going to take those classes unless I get accepted and plan to attend here.

3.8 sGPA, 3.75 tGPA
21 TS, 20 AA, 20 PAT

I think they have 5 seats for OOS? (not including WICHE states)

Hey did anyone get a confirmation that their secondary fee was received?

Has everyone gotten a confirmation for their fee? I submitted mine last Monday and it still hasn't been cashed + no email. Also, do we get a confirmation for submitting our supplemental? I submitted that last week, but still no word from UW!

Has everyone gotten a confirmation for their fee? I submitted mine last Monday and it still hasn't been cashed + no email. Also, do we get a confirmation for submitting our supplemental? I submitted that last week, but still no word from UW!

I'm in the same boat. Do you think it's worth it to call? I tracked my check and it got there on Friday so I'm still giving it some time before I start stressing out haha

I just called today because I was worried that the check didn't make its way there. Supposedly the person handling the check has been on vacation. I was told I would hear back from them today about it. About an hour later I actually received an interview invite.

I'm in the same boat. Do you think it's worth it to call? I tracked my check and it got there on Friday so I'm still giving it some time before I start stressing out haha

I called to verify if mine made it and they said the person handling the checks was on vacation the last couple weeks. They should be catching up on it soon.

I called to verify if mine made it and they said the person handling the checks was on vacation the last couple weeks. They should be catching up on it soon.

Wow that's awesome! Congrats! When's the interview? And if you don't mind what were your stats?

Wow that's awesome! Congrats! When's the interview? And if you don't mind what were your stats?

I don't mind at all and I am honestly surprised about the invite. I'm a Washington resident so UW was my #1 school, however, I was not very confident in myself even getting opportunity for a interview (which I am super grateful for). I even applied to more schools than I would like to admit. I guess I could consider myself a URM and non-traditional applicant. According to the AADSAS my cGPA= 3.05 and sGPA=3.02. I spent 7 years getting a bachelors degree with an upward trend in GPA, while also working. I graduated in 2012 with a BS in chemistry from UW. I didn't even consider dentistry as a career until 2 years ago. My DAT (AA/TS/OC/GC/BIO/RC/QR/PA): 22/22/26/21/22/21/18/20. My interview is for September 23rd and 24th.

Last edited:
I don't mind at all and I am honestly surprised about the invite. I'm a Washington resident so UW was my #1 school, however, I was not very confident in myself even getting opportunity for a interview (which I am super grateful for). I even applied to more schools than I care to admit. I guess I could consider myself a URM and non-traditional applicant. According to the AADSAS my cGPA= 3.05 and sGPA=3.02. I spent 7 years getting a bachelors degree with an upward trend in GPA, while also working. I graduated in 2012 with a BS in chemistry from UW. I didn't even consider dentistry as a career until 2 years ago. My DAT (AA/TS/OC/GC/BIO/RC/QR/PA): 22/22/26/21/22/21/18/20. My interview is for September 23rd and 24th.
Well that's great. Good luck with everything. I'm a Wa resident as well so I've got my fingers crossed for an interview invite. How long ago did you submit your secondary?

Well that's great. Good luck with everything. I'm a Wa resident as well so I've got my fingers crossed for an interview invite. How long ago did you submit your secondary?

I submitted my primary 7/26 and then my secondary 8/15. Good luck!

I gotta submit my supp tomorrow and then hope for the best! Hopefully I can catch you guys at interviews when we get them.

Congrats on your interview! Be confident! You've made it past the hard part.
Thank you! As somebody who has gone through the interview process already, what is the best way to prep for MMI? This will be my first interview offer out of all the schools I applied to and reading up on it seems intimidating.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Check your emails, looks like they're starting to send out interview invites. Got mines in the morning :)

Did you receive a confirmation email for the secondary application when you submitted it?
I didn't receive any notification for my secondary or receipt of my check I sent in.

I'm not sure how other schools do MMI, but UWSOD's process is anything but intimidating. In fact, most of us thought it was a lot of fun. Don't let the Internet freak you out.

With that said, there's no real method to "prepare" for MMI. This interview method is great because it allows 8-10 people to formally evaluate you as you come, without knowing anything about you. At the interview, your GPA, DAT score, and anything else in your application no longer matters. Your evaluators won't know who you are until you introduce yourself, and they won't know anything about you that you don't tell or show them yourself.

If I could compare it to anything, I'd compare it to speed dating. You'll have a set amount of time to chat with each evaluator, and once that time expires you'll move on to the next. Each of them will evaluate you based on a predetermined set of criteria. What that is remains a mystery, but here's what you can do to achieve the best outcome:

1. Be yourself. Don't rehearse one liners.
2. Wear professional attire. Tailor your suits/outfits. A folder with school info will be provided, but showing up with a professional portfolio and your own pen (so you don't have to ask for one) will set you apart from the rest.
3. Come prepared. Research significant faculty members, the curriculum, and community initiatives the school supports. Come with questions on info you can't find, and ask them when given the opportunity (you will be).
4. Maintain situation awareness. You're at an interview, and it starts the second you step on campus on the first day, and doesn't end till you leave campus the second day after MMI. We're watching you! ;)

Here's a few other tips you might find useful:

1. Ladies, avoid high heels. The school has elevators, but they're too small to fit entire groups as you tour and maneuver the school. Come prepared to trek up and down the stairs.
2. Bring a water bottle. Preferably one that is solid and somewhat professional looking. You'll be talking a lot. And even though bottled water is provided, it's nice to have your own.
3. Turn your phones off. Put them in airplane mode. Switch them into silent. Smash the speaker. Whatever you have to do. Just don't be that guy/girl. You may want your phone to snap photos of the tour, and if you're older with a family, you may need to have it on for emergencies... just be smart about it.
4. Have fun. Chat with your peers. But leave your summer frat/sorority party stories at the door. You can talk about how drunk you got at Bumbershoot after you're accepted in December.

That's the general spiel! Best of luck!
Thanks! I'll keep it all in mind and start my homework.