****The Official VCU class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Accepted. Will attend if I don't get into number 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats ladies and gents. Are you IS or OOS? I am waiting to hear any response whatsoever. Please post if you have the opportunity to attend a cheaper institution, as I would love to have the opportunity to attend! Congratulations again!

Congrats ladies and gents. Are you IS or OOS? I am waiting to hear any response whatsoever. Please post if you have the opportunity to attend a cheaper institution, as I would love to have the opportunity to attend! Congratulations again!
I'm OOS.

did anyone get on alternative ( wait ) list or offered a D.5 from VCU yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, D.5 here, good luck for the rest of the cycle! Just wanted to shed some light on things in case people are wondering how things go.

I got offered a D.5 spot the 3rd week of March last year; not sure whether it'll be the same this year, or how big the group will be, though it should be sometime around then I'd expect. One of the quirks of the program is that you must NOT have been accepted/going to another school to be offered a D.5 spot. If you're offered a D.5 spot and you accept it, you will take 4 classes throughout the year with the current D1s (so the Class of 2018; you would be in the Class of 2019 eventually). As long as you get B's or better, you'll be able to matriculate into the Class of 2019. It's really not too tough, though sometimes a person doesn't meet the criteria during the year and has to leave. Some of us work in the different graduate department clinics or at the faculty practice when we're not in class; this is useful for meeting faculty members and such. It's a pretty good deal overall; it's better than waiting around for a year for the next cycle, that's for sure. I'm really glad I got this chance. Also, it allows you to get used to how difficult the classes are, because they are a lot tougher than undergrad classes.

Also, people got accepted for the next few months AFTER D.5 spots were offered. I have a friend in the Class of 2017 who interviewed in late February, heard nothing, got put on the alternate list in May I believe, and then got in a few weeks later. So even if you don't hear anything, there IS still hope. But honestly, if you're in that situation start gearing up for next year because it's not worth the effect on your psyche of waiting to hear from people who may never call. If you get the lucky call, then it'll be a pleasant surprise. Good luck to everyone, looking forward to meeting the Class of 2018 in August.

Did anyone from the interview group on 2/10 get accepted?

Hello all, D.5 here, good luck for the rest of the cycle! Just wanted to shed some light on things in case people are wondering how things go.

I got offered a D.5 spot the 3rd week of March last year; not sure whether it'll be the same this year, or how big the group will be, though it should be sometime around then I'd expect. One of the quirks of the program is that you must NOT have been accepted/going to another school to be offered a D.5 spot. If you're offered a D.5 spot and you accept it, you will take 4 classes throughout the year with the current D1s (so the Class of 2018; you would be in the Class of 2019 eventually). As long as you get B's or better, you'll be able to matriculate into the Class of 2019. It's really not too tough, though sometimes a person doesn't meet the criteria during the year and has to leave. Some of us work in the different graduate department clinics or at the faculty practice when we're not in class; this is useful for meeting faculty members and such. It's a pretty good deal overall; it's better than waiting around for a year for the next cycle, that's for sure. I'm really glad I got this chance. Also, it allows you to get used to how difficult the classes are, because they are a lot tougher than undergrad classes.

Also, people got accepted for the next few months AFTER D.5 spots were offered. I have a friend in the Class of 2017 who interviewed in late February, heard nothing, got put on the alternate list in May I believe, and then got in a few weeks later. So even if you don't hear anything, there IS still hope. But honestly, if you're in that situation start gearing up for next year because it's not worth the effect on your psyche of waiting to hear from people who may never call. If you get the lucky call, then it'll be a pleasant surprise. Good luck to everyone, looking forward to meeting the Class of 2018 in August.

Is the tuition for a D.5 spot the same as regular tuition ?

Is the tuition for a D.5 spot the same as regular tuition ?

No, for the fall semester you are considered a half-time graduate student (only 5 or so credits fall semester)...so you pay about $3500 or 4000? Something like that. The spring semester costs a little bit more because you are considered a full-time graduate student, taking 10 credits I believe; it's a little more than $5000.

Hey Guys!!
I received an acceptance email from VCU on March 4th! I interviewed on February 17th. I will be attending! As of now, I am pretty sure they have ended their interview cycle. For those of you who are wait listed, don't lose hope. I am a Georgia resident and didn't get into GRU, but ended up getting into VCU. Stay positive!!

Did anyone get wait listed ?
How do you know that u r on the wait lost ?
I haven't gotten any updates after my interview and my status for VCU is " invited for interview " as of today.

Good question...does anyone know when the wait list usually goes out?

Good question...does anyone know when the wait list usually goes out?

I spoke with Ms. Tweedy a while back and I have in my notes that D5/waitlists go out in "March". Anyone have more up-to -date information?

Got a call from Dr. Gottlieb not too long ago. Offered a position in the D5 program.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be a"dumb" question but what is a D5 program?

What is the D.5 program?

The D.5 program was initiated approximately 20 years ago for students who had made an application to dental school, but were not successful in gaining admission. Some of these applicants showed great potential toward being a dentist. However, certain factors, such as lower GPA, weaker DAT scores, many years without taking college courses and other factors, negated them from being a viable candidate. This program was created to have these applicants take certain selected science courses from the freshman curriculum to have them prove their ability to succeed in professional school courses. Four science courses – Mammalian Physiology, Neuroanatomy, Microscopic Anatomy and Infection and Immunology – were selected. The strict requirement for success is a mandatory minimum grade of B in each course. If this is achieved, the prospective student would have a greater potential of being accepted into the following year’s freshman class and they would also be exempt from these four courses. However, if a grade of lower than B was achieved in any of these courses, they would not be considered for entrance into the new freshman class. The students selected for the D.5 program usually have strong science backgrounds, excellent interpersonal skills and dental experiences.

The director of admissions and the admissions committee select a very limited number of D.5 candidates from the pool of interviewed applicants.

http://www.dentistry.vcu.edu/programs/dds/faqs/#d5

has anyone received a rejection from VCU ? I was told that some rejections were sent on Feb 15th , not sure if thats true or not.

not I... and we're waiting...Its looking more and more likely that it'll be a mass rejection sometime after the first? Obviously wait-lists have to go out (if they havent been already and D5 spots given out?).

Just fyi, I was told from the school's office that May 1st is the day that they will solidify their class roster.

did they indicate that waitlistts D5/ rejections were sent out? TIA

did they indicate that waitlistts D5/ rejections were sent out? TIA
Thats what we all need to know , I was told that some rejections were sent via email on Feb 15th . April first is the deadline for deposit of the last batch acceptance .

I did not ask. I was calling the financial aid office, and she told me they have not set the tuition cost, and they first have to wait until the class roster is set, which happens on May 1st

I got accepted! Waitlisted on 3/20/14 and accepted 3/31/14.

Reactions: 1 users
So it looks like they already sent waitlist decisions out. Judging by last years thread, if you weren't offered a spot on the waitlist you're basically rejected lol. Tough luck for us In-State folk.

At my interview in early September Dr Gottlieb told our group that since we were such early interviewees that no one should get rejected unless something went really bad during the interview... Lol. Either I'm completely oblivious and my interview was terrible even though I thought it went great... Orrrrr Dr. Gottlieb mislead us a bit.. Lol. Regardless I'm still thankful to have gotten in places but it would've been nice to have gotten into my state-school.

(Note that I could be wrong about the waitlist since Dr. Healy ran admissions last year. Dr. Gottlieb could be doing things differently.)

I got accepted! Waitlisted on 3/20/14 and accepted 3/31/14.
congratulations.
did you receive an email regarding being wait listed and your status on AADSAS was " wait listed " or Invited for interview. would you please share your stats. thank you .

congratulations.
did you receive an email regarding being wait listed and your status on AADSAS was " wait listed " or Invited for interview. would you please share your stats. thank you .
I was called and she asked me if I wanted to be on waitlist. I said "yes" and she sent me the email and later AADSAS status changed from "invited to interview" to "waitlisted". Also she called me again if I am still interested in Vcu , saying that there was a spot for me :) I will message you my stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I called earlier today to inquire about my status.... She stated that no decisions have been made, and there should be some decisions made later this week after things are finalized today. I'm taking it as a soft, soon to be hard, rejection.

Received the admissions scholarship a while back. Does anyone know if they send any acceptance/scholarship packet in the mail?

have you guys heard back from VCU? Any rejection/ Wait lists/ D5 or acceptance lately?