zoey1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Here you got VCU class of 2020 !!!
good luck all of you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those wondering about whether they accept unofficial DAT scores, I just called admissions and the rep. said they no longer accept unofficial scores. Lame, because I was hoping to be complete here earlier than other places..

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm assuming we won't hear anything for a while right?

Just accepted my interview for 9/11 at VCU! Hope to see y'all there.

Reactions: 4 users
Just accepted my interview for 9/11 at VCU! Hope to see y'all there.
Congrats! How did the school notify you? I'm really crossing my fingers I get an interview to VCU since it's my state school.

Congrats! How did the school notify you? I'm really crossing my fingers I get an interview to VCU since it's my state school.

I received an email. I hope you get it as well!

Congrats!! It's my state school, I'm counting on it. I hope I get that interview soon

Members don't see this ad :)
[Q

Last edited:
Ahhh our stats are pretty similar and I was the same mail out date. Are you in state? This makes me excited yet also nervous hahah

Haha hopefully you hear back soon! :) And nope, I'm OOS lol

OOOH interviews! I was 7th batch, so it'll probably be a while before I hear back.. VCU sends out their supplemental only to those who are invited to interview, right? Also, congrats @Kulfi on your invite~

For people who've heard back, did your AADSAS status change to under review or did it just stay as application complete the whole time?

VCU show some love to your state!!!

For those doing the supplemental, what's on the fourth page? It doesn't allow me to skip pages..
1st page = personal info
2nd page = course prereqs
3rd page = hept b record, osha, hipaa...I don't have a passport photo yet and can't continue so that's why I'm asking.

In the interview invitation email, there's a link to the supplemental. I got that email 21 days after receiving the application complete email.

Whats up everyone? Congrats to those with interviews! VCU is a great school....I am currently a D1 so let me know if you have any specific questions about the school or the interview process and I will see if I can help you out.

Reactions: 1 users
Whats up everyone? Congrats to those with interviews! VCU is a great school....I am currently a D1 so let me know if you have any specific questions about the school or the interview process and I will see if I can help you out.

Hey Pro-Dentite! Thanks for giving your time.

I have some questions for you:

1) How did you adjust to DS from college in the first month? (Steep learning curve for preclinics/classes?)
2) How do you feel DentSim prepares you for understanding basic dental procedures?
3) What do you do so far in "Self-paced learning/DENTSIM rotations?"
4) How's that brother-sister mentor program working for you in the first month?
5) What happens during interview day?
6) Describe the interview. One on one? Is there an essay?
7) Congrats on finishing your second Anatomy exam this morning! How difficult is Anatomy (Dental and Gross) and Immunology, esp. for those who never took them in college?
8) I heard there's no note-taking service. Are lectures recorded?
9) Outside of classes, what do you do for fun, by yourself or with friends?
10? How's the food scene? Do you eat at the undergrad campus' cafeteria (food was pretty good there)? I don't recall many restaurants in the graduate/professional campus.
11) What's MCV stand for? I assume you live there. How are your dorm rooms? Two people per room?
12) Have you joined clubs/frats yet? What orgs are there?

Hey Pro-Dentite! Thanks for giving your time.

I have some questions for you:

Hi! Happy to help.

1) How did you adjust to DS from college in the first month? (Steep learning curve for preclinics/classes?)
It's difficult in the sense that you now need to treat school like a job. You are at "work" from 8-5 most days and then you need to study after that. They start you off pretty easy in the sense that we are only taking 4 courses while Gross is in session. It is brutal the first week but then you adapt pretty quickly. Its no walk in the park but it is nothing to be scared of...especially because you are now only studying things pertaining to Dentistry which is actually interesting as opposed to garbage like Physics and Ochem (no offense if you like that stuff haha!).
2) How do you feel DentSim prepares you for understanding basic dental procedures?
DentSim is great because you are using a handpiece within your first week. It definitely helps you grasp the concepts of cavity preps much more quickly than studying or watching videos. The manual dexterity and indirect vision skills it helps to develop make it worth it in my opinion.
3) What do you do so far in "Self-paced learning/DENTSIM rotations?"
So far we have done a class I prep on 19, a class II on 18, and a Class I on 5.
4) How's that brother-sister mentor program working for you in the first month?
There is really only one official meeting between you and your mentor. However, students at VCU are easily approachable and are always willing to help you out so you can pretty much ask any upperclassmen for help.
5) What happens during interview day?
My interview day was great, and relatively low-stress. We (group of about 8 candidates) met with Admissions staff first thing in the morning and went over the agenda and were given a presentation on the school. We had two short (30 min) 1 on 1 interviews with faculty and 1 small group interview with a student (cleverly disguised as a casual lunch!). In the afternoon we were given a tour of the entire facility, which included observing in the clinic and trying out a prep on DentSim. Finally at the end of the day there was an essay and then a group discussion.
6) Describe the interview. One on one? Is there an essay?
7) Congrats on finishing your second Anatomy exam this morning! How difficult is Anatomy (Dental and Gross) and Immunology, esp. for those who never took them in college?
Thanks! Gross is only hard because of the pace. I'd say it is fair to say that one week is equivalent to 3-4 weeks of undergrad material. However, remember that you are doing this every single day so you learn much faster as well. All in all, if you prepare properly you should be able to do very well. I can't speak to immunology because we haven't taken it yet.
8) I heard there's no note-taking service. Are lectures recorded?
Yes the lectures are recorded and the video is synched up with the power point slides. This is done at the Instructor's discretion however and some choose not to participate.
9) Outside of classes, what do you do for fun, by yourself or with friends?
I am married so I spend most of my free time with my wife and kid, but believe it or not there is still time to go out with your friends and classmates on the weekends.
10? How's the food scene? Do you eat at the undergrad campus' cafeteria (food was pretty good there)? I don't recall many restaurants in the graduate/professional campus.
On the MCV campus there isn't much, most of the class either brings their lunch or goes to the food carts outside. There is a very nice medical campus student center that has a nice cafeteria. There is also a food court in the hospital.
11) What's MCV stand for? I assume you live there. How are your dorm rooms? Two people per room?
Medical College of Virginia. It was a separate school before it became part of VCU. In fact when it started it was part of Hampton-Sydney College. I don't know about dorms, I live in the 'burbs with my family and most of my classmates live in apartments very close to the school.
12) Have you joined clubs/frats yet? What orgs are there?
Not yet, but there is a club for just about anything related to Dentistry!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for answering all those questions! That really makes me excited about the school! Now I just gotta get an interview...
No problem, and good luck! And don't get caught up too much in the SDN forum environment. Tons of my classmates didn't get accepted until well after the new year. One of them got accepted in June of this year! Everyone on these boards makes it seem like if you didn't submit your app on June 3rd or have a 25 AA on the DAT you have no shot....nothing could be further from the truth! Hang in there, hopefully I will see you in Richmond next summer!

Reactions: 2 users
No problem, and good luck! And don't get caught up too much in the SDN forum environment. Tons of my classmates didn't get accepted until well after the new year. One of them got accepted in June of this year! Everyone on these boards makes it seem like if you didn't submit your app on June 3rd or have a 25 AA on the DAT you have no shot....nothing could be further from the truth! Hang in there, hopefully I will see you in Richmond next summer!

Hey Pro-Dentite, thanks for answering all those questions. This is so helpful to me and others applying to VCU.

Are you able to practice on DentSim whenever you want, outside of DentSim rotations...say on the weekends?

Hi guys!

I just received an interview invite from VCU (9/11). However, due to family health, I am out of states. Are they flexible on rescheduling interviews?

Hey Pro-Dentite, thanks for answering all those questions. This is so helpful to me and others applying to VCU.

Are you able to practice on DentSim whenever you want, outside of DentSim rotations...say on the weekends?

No, the DentSim units require a lot of fine tuning....a member of the school's IT department needs to be in the lab while the machines are in use so we only have access to it during our rotations and scheduled practice sessions.

Hi guys!

I just received an interview invite from VCU (9/11). However, due to family health, I am out of states. Are they flexible on rescheduling interviews?

I would call them up and explain your situation. The admissions faculty are all great people so I am sure they will try to help you out.

Has vcu sent multiple interviews or just at one time?

has anyone who is interviewing this friday (9/11) received a follow up email about interview details?

has anyone who is interviewing this friday (9/11) received a follow up email about interview details?

No email yet. There were enough details about when/where to arrive in the interview invite email though.

@MRZ8 One of the faculty members told me there'd be an email sent out today with additional info so just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks tho!

@MRZ8 One of the faculty members told me there'd be an email sent out today with additional info so just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks tho!
Hmm. In that case, I'll let you know if I get one. Let me know if you do, too. Thanks.

They sent one out, but its pretty much just the same as the invitation email.

I'll be interviewing on Friday as well. Driving in from Ohio tomorrow, probably arrive 8 or 9 pm. Then driving back Friday evening. Gonna be rough, but worth it!

I'm interviewing on the 11th as well. Flying out tomorrow. Excited to meet some of you!

Why is Virginia being so quiet? :(

Question: for those of you with interviews, did you they give you a strict date, or are you allowed to change it?

They gave a specific date but I imagine you could call and switch if needed

[Q

Last edited:
From what I have heard they will only conduct 3 interviews this year! So each interview group is huge!
I counted about ~70 people in the first interview on 9/11.

I counted about ~70 people in the first interview on 9/11.

Yep, the interview process is completely different from last year. I know there were at least 60 candidates in the first interview. Last year the interview groups were 8-12 candidates.

Is anyone having trouble with accessing the supplemental application survey site? My link keeps loading and loading... and nothing is showing up.

Do you think they are doing interviews the second Friday of each month until December?

I checked my sked and the Dentsim Lab is blocked off two different Fridays in October so I am guessing those are the 2 other Pre-December interviews

I checked my sked and the Dentsim Lab is blocked off two different Fridays in October so I am guessing those are the 2 other Pre-December interviews
So..... if you haven't been invited by now OOS you probably aren't getting invited pre-December? Oh well. That's another one to cross off the list ¯\_(ツ)_/¯