****The Official VCU Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

For in-state applicants, you have a 65% chance of acceptance.
325 in state applicants
124 interviewed
81 accepted
(Stats pulled from doc toothache)

As of now, I interviewed just once (VCU) out of 15 schools. For some reason, I'm 99% confident of getting accepted here. Anyone feel that way too?
Not about VCU, but about a different school. Then again, you never really know haha. I hope your instinct is right, though!

Members don't see this ad.

Offer made 0530 this morning via email. No AADSAS update!!!!! Guys check your email!!! Yes!!!!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Offer made 0530 this morning via email. No AADSAS update!!!!! Guys check your email!!! Yes!!!!!!:soexcited:

CONGRATS!!! VCU ACCEPTANCE AT 5:29 AM!!!!! Jolly 'ol me joggin off to my NYU interview in an hour

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED I AM STILL HALF ASLEEP SO IM SO GLAD IT'S AN EMAIL AND NOT A PHONE CALL HAHA :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted via email this morning!!!

Woot woot! In stater over here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
So my interview is December 11th. Does anyone know how long after I'm going to have to wait to find out If I got accepted or not? I really appreciate the feedback!

Anyone remember if VCU does scholarships soon, if at all? I feel like I remember them saying it'd be way later, but not sure

So, no phone call, no email, no change to portal, nothing by snail mail yet. Thought interview went fantastic.

Waitlist? Rejection?

Anyone remember if VCU does scholarships soon, if at all? I feel like I remember them saying it'd be way later, but not sure
I've had a call about scholarships... I guess it depends on your situation... I am not sure how they determine it

I've had a call about scholarships... I guess it depends on your situation... I am not sure how they determine it

So my interview is December 11th. Does anyone know how long after I'm going to have to wait to find out If I got accepted or not? I really appreciate the feedback!

That is a question I am sure will be asked and answered at your interview day....if not, there is no reason not to ask it yourself.

I think most of my classmates that got substantial scholarship offers were told the day they were admitted. But there are many more modest scholarships given out when the school year starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay I got my 5th interview here at my state school!!! Interviewing on the 11th (Thank you for whoever dropped the spot!) Any tips from those who were accepted?

Yay I got my 5th interview here at my state school!!! Interviewing on the 11th (Thank you for whoever dropped the spot!) Any tips from those who were accepted?
It's a loooong day. Just be ready and keep a smile on the whole time haha. The interview is 2 faculty members and mine were both very nice!

Received interview invite today, I'm IS. Does anyone know the % of acceptance for post-dec interviews?

interview invite for Jan 8th!! yay!!

Received interview invite today, I'm IS. Does anyone know the % of acceptance for post-dec interviews?

I don't know the official percentage but I would say that at least 40% of my classmates didn't get in until after the new year. However, the interview format changed drastically this year so there really is no way to tell at this point. The good news for you is that many of the candidates who have received acceptances from VCU already most likely have multiple acceptances.

Any ideas on when decisions will be made after the January 8th interview? I think it's one of the last interview dates, if not the last, so I would assume it would be soon thereafter that we would know.

Any advice for this interview? I'm OS- this school is definitely my top choice. Anyone know the chances to get in as an OS student who has a december interview?

How accurate areDoc Toothache spreadsheets on percent interviewed vs percent accepted?

I'm kinda curious who you interviewed with. It sounds like the same guy I interviewed with when I was applying. But don't lose, I didn't think I'd hear back after my interview with him but here I am -- a D2.
T

Last edited:
I received by email a happy holidays and celebrate connections ecard. Otherwise nothing from VCU yet

Reactions: 4 users
Just got invited to Jan 8th interview..

To those that interviewed already, did the day really last till 5:30?

Also, how long did it take to get to the airport right after?

Just got invited to Jan 8th interview..

To those that interviewed already, did the day really last till 5:30?

Also, how long did it take to get to the airport right after?
Ends around 5 or 5:30 (you can leave by 5, maaaaybe 4:30 if you absolutely need to, but talk to someone in the office before you do). Takes maybe 15-20 min to get to the airport I think

What's professional to wear over a man's suit if I'm cold for the interview?

Random out-of-curiosity question: For the simlab class I prep - is it on a manikin or just bench top typodont?

@Pro-Dentite19 @UCSFx2017, you might be able to answer these Qs. If anyone knows, pitch in:

1. VCUSD estimates room&board at 17k/yr, likely for on-campus university-owned apartments. What's the range/average rent on one bedroom non-university owned apartments near campus (max. 15 min walk from Lyons) ?

2. Is there a ranking system that ranks the 95 students based on GPA?

3. How many patients (min/max) could I see per day as a D3/D4?

4. I don't see Biochemistry (only Mammalian Physiology) or Microbiology in D1/D2 curriculum. Since 120 of 400 exam items in NBDE Part 1 covers Biochemistry-Physiology and Microbiology, did VCU prepare you in both topics or did you have to study them on your own?

5. What's VCU's first-attempt board pass rate?

6. When do students get their individual patient rosters?

7. My friend, a VCUDH grad, says they worked with dental students. Do students learn IPE with other healthcare students (pharm, med, etc)?

8. IMO, the number of clinical requirements is the best indicator of a strong clinical program. I can only know how to judge how good clinical experience is as a dental student. What are the official clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, bridge, implants, RPDs, CDs, RCTs, extractions, etc).

9. Has anyone had trouble with the "eServices/VCU Self Service" link for making the $800 deposit? I get error SSB101 and their offices are closed.

Anyone know the ACTUAL OOS tuition cost? Every resource seems to be giving different values.

Attachments

• VCU OOS.jpg
    VCU OOS.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 118
@Pro-Dentite19 @UCSFx2017, you might be able to answer these Qs. If anyone knows, pitch in:

1. VCUSD estimates room&board at 17k/yr, likely for on-campus university-owned apartments. What's the range/average rent on one bedroom non-university owned apartments near campus (max. 15 min walk from Lyons) ?

Probably $1000-$1200

2. Is there a ranking system that ranks the 95 students based on GPA?

Yes, the ranking starts immediately after the first grades are recorded. I believe the first time you learn your rank is after the D1 year.

3. How many patients (min/max) could I see per day as a D3/D4?

Not sure about this one. I have never heard any D3/D4 complaining about a lack of patients though. The clinic is huge and serves a very large geographical area that comprises a large under-served population

4. I don't see Biochemistry (only Mammalian Physiology) or Microbiology in D1/D2 curriculum. Since 120 of 400 exam items in NBDE Part 1 covers Biochemistry-Physiology and Microbiology, did VCU prepare you in both topics or did you have to study them on your own?

From what I understand the reason why Biochemistry was made a pre-req for admission was so that it could be taken out of the D1 curriculum. To me that tells me it is up to me to re-learn it for the boards.

5. What's VCU's first-attempt board pass rate?

It is very high 90's for part I. I don't know about part II.

6. When do students get their individual patient rosters?

Not sure. Probably Summer of D2 year.

7. My friend, a VCUDH grad, says they worked with dental students. Do students learn IPE with other healthcare students (pharm, med, etc)?

Yes, you will take a semester long IPE course during your D1 Fall. It is taken with Med Students, Nurses, PT/OT, Pharm, and Genetic Counselors. It is Pass/Fail

8. IMO, the number of clinical requirements is the best indicator of a strong clinical program. I can only know how to judge how good clinical experience is as a dental student. What are the official clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, bridge, implants, RPDs, CDs, RCTs, extractions, etc).ail

Not sure exactly. You would have to ask the admins this one! All I know is that VCU's focus is clinical skills. There is no requirement or pressure to do research here. You start working with a high speed your first week of school and begin operative lab in week 6 after gross is finished.

9. Has anyone had trouble with the "eServices/VCU Self Service" link for making the $800 deposit? I get error SSB101 and their offices are closed.

Where did you find the curriculum for this school? I couldn't find it online?

Ahh sorry so we can only see the spring schedule I assume? The fall required a username/password

Let me know if you all have specific questions about the 1st Semester of D1 year. In case anyone is wondering these are the courses that you will be taking:

Gross Anatomy
Neuroanatomy
Dental Anatomy
Clinical Skills I
Operative Dentistry Lecture
Operative Dentistry Lab (Class I, Class II, Class V Amalgam Restorations)
Microbiology/Immunology
Perio I
IPE
Behavioral Science

I think its about 24 credits

Let me know if you all have specific questions about the 1st Semester of D1 year. In case anyone is wondering these are the courses that you will be taking:

Gross Anatomy
Neuroanatomy
Dental Anatomy
Clinical Skills I
Operative Dentistry Lecture
Operative Dentistry Lab (Class I, Class II, Class V Amalgam Restorations)
Microbiology/Immunology
Perio I
IPE
Behavioral Science

I think its about 24 credits

Thank you for doing this!!

1. I've heard several times that Gross Anatomy is intense. Could you elaborate on that at all? How is the course structured? (How much time do you spend in lecture vs cadaver lab?)

2. How have you managed dealing with so many credits in one semester? What advice would you give on adjusting to the pace of dental school?

3. What has been the hardest class so far and why? Easiest?

4. In dental anatomy, I know that you carve teeth at VCU. What is that like? I (probably like most people) have never done anything like that before, so I am kind of nervous about that!

5. How have your and your classmates' handskills progressed? And once you get to Woolwine for operative lab, are you able to practice as much as youwould like to?

Thank you for doing this!!

No Problem!

1. I've heard several times that Gross Anatomy is intense. Could you elaborate on that at all? How is the course structured? (How much time do you spend in lecture vs cadaver lab?)

Gross is intense......but that is basically all you are doing for the first six weeks of school so it isn't nearly as bad as you are probably anticipating, especially because you will be excited about school starting and won't have any "burn out" : ) Gross is fun in the sense that you will have a great time getting to know your classmates....especially the ones in your lab group. You will have lab first thing in the morning for about 3 hours and then have lecture immediately after. The ratio of time spent in lab to lecture is approx. 3:1.

2. How have you managed dealing with so many credits in one semester? What advice would you give on adjusting to the pace of dental school?

It is a lot of work but to be honest the first semester is very doable and not nearly as taxing as the following three semesters. You will still have plenty of time to hang our with your classmates outside of school, especially during the first two months. You don't really have to worry about how to deal with taking the work because you kind of just find a way to get it done. I think its something that you just get used to.

My advice is to prepare yourself for the amount of time you are in class. I had worked full time for two years before starting school so I was used to working 50-60 hours per week. I think many of my classmates who came straight from undergrad had a difficult time being in school from 8-5 and then going home to study at night.

3. What has been the hardest class so far and why? Easiest?

Well here is the thing, none of the classes are hard on their own....they are only hard because they are happening at the same time. Its a convoluted way of saying that you will likely ace any test that you prepare properly for. For me, micro/immunology was the easiest because I had a strong background in it already. The hardest for me is operative lab because I am learning a completely new skillset.

4. In dental anatomy, I know that you carve teeth at VCU. What is that like? I (probably like most people) have never done anything like that before, so I am kind of nervous about that!

Carving teeth is great because it is fun and breaks up the tedium of taking so many hours of lecture. There is no need to be nervous because they know that almost no once has ever carved anything before so they start you off slowly. It is not easy, but its also not something you will fail at unless you have no hand eye coordination at all.

5. How have your and your classmates' handskills progressed? And once you get to Woolwine for operative lab, are you able to practice as much as youwould like to?

Your handskills progress rapidly. Exercises that seemed impossible in August are now basic and everyone gets better with each lab session. You are able to practice as much as you want. The problem is that you really don't have that much extra time to practice! Even if you want to come in on the weekends, you are sacrificing valuable study time.