***The Official Western Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the call! I'll see everyone there on October 1st!

Notification date: 9/1/16
Method of notification: Phone, then email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/15/2016
Application complete date: Submitted 6/25/16, Verified 7/11/16
Supplemental: Completed 7/14/16
"Sent for review" email: 7/29/16
GPA (science, overall) sGPA: 3.95 oGPA: 3.96
DAT: 22AA/21TS/20PAT/21RC/none below 17

@DSNCSUN Your call is next!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview invite today for 10/1. Unfortunately I decided to accept my offer at Temple 2 weeks ago for the class of 2020.. I submitted my reapplication 6/27 and mailed 7/15

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I also got the "Continuing Email." Submitted my secondary in early Aug. I have a 24AA so I just find it hard to believe that Western would deny me an interview this early. I'm international though, maybe that's why? :(

Edited: My email is a bit different though...

"This email is to let you know that your application is still with the College of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee. It is possible that the Committee hasn't reviewed your application yet or they have made a decision and haven't informed us yet.

Once reviewed, some applications receive a quick decision while others may be held for review again at a later time. I'm sure you can understand that due to the volume of applications, it may take some time to receive the Committee's decision. We will certainly notify you when there is any change in your application status."

Received email saying my application was "continuing review. This means that your application received a partial review but has been placed on hold. Applications placed in this category are generally considered less competitive academically but will receive periodic review by the Admissions Committee. We will certainly notify you if there is any change in your application status."

Sad :(

Submitted in mid July and finish secondary in early August. Attended undergrad in CA (transferred from CC to UC) and international student. I got pretty high AA and TS but pretty low RC (15). My gpa is 3.7ish, have ECs and research and work experience. Guess the CC and international background as well as low RC will hurt my application.

Any ideas?

Do you have a lot of volunteer work as your EC? They are very big on that. They aren't really huge on DAT as I met with Dr. Turchi. Those with interviews right now with 3.6+ GPa probably have done tons of volunteering

Probably that's why. I didn't have that much, about 390 in total. :(

That's plenty. I have maybe around 200 so way less than you. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll hear good news eventually!

Probably that's why. I didn't have that much, about 390 in total. :(
Hmnnn, that is a lot actually. I am not sure why they said you were not competitive enough :/ But, stay positive! We are still early in the game!

to me it seems like those who are getting invites are Cali residents...
Received email saying my application was "continuing review. This means that your application received a partial review but has been placed on hold. Applications placed in this category are generally considered less competitive academically but will receive periodic review by the Admissions Committee. We will certainly notify you if there is any change in your application status."

Sad :(

Submitted in mid July and finish secondary in early August. Attended undergrad in CA (transferred from CC to UC) and international student. I got pretty high AA and TS but pretty low RC (15). My gpa is 3.7ish, have ECs and research and work experience. Guess the CC and international background as well as low RC will hurt my application.

Any ideas?
so you got a different email from everyone else? You should call them up and ask specifically why it's on hold.

Members don't see this ad :)
to me it seems like those who are getting invites are Cali residents...

so you got a different email from everyone else? You should call them up and ask specifically why it's on hold.

Same. I think there are two emails going out right now...

1.) Mostly to non-residents whose app they just have not gotten to yet, but who are above the statistical thresholds for potential interview upon further review. Based on last year's thread most of these people get interviews within 2 weeks of receiving this email.

2.) The "continued review" which they have reviewed the app and just not sending an interview at this time. Let's call it a waitlist... or maybe even soft rejection.

Again, just based on my research on last year and looking at who is getting what.

How long after sending the secondary did you guys receive the "App complete/ready for review/sent to committee" email?

I sent mine on 8/22 and have yet to get that email. I'll probably call on Tuesday if I don't receive an email by then.

Mmm I wouldn't really call the "continued review" email a soft rejection.. I got that email last year and interviewed, albeit late in Feb haha. Don't wanna discourage anyone who got the email (I got it again this year, womp lol!)

Mmm I wouldn't really call the "continued review" email a soft rejection.. I got that email last year and interviewed, albeit late in Feb haha. Don't wanna discourage anyone who got the email (I got it again this year, womp lol!)

no i think it is more of a waitlist tbh...

Just trying to analyze the two emails going out.

You are looking into this email way too much. All they are doing is keeping you updated with the status of your application. And it means exactly what they said. They either 1. Haven't reviewed your application yet or 2. The decision isn't 100% finalized and the people who sent out the emails don't know. Where does this email say you were rejected or put on hold or even a waiting list?
I also got the "Continuing Email." Submitted my secondary in early Aug. I have a 24AA so I just find it hard to believe that Western would deny me an interview this early. I'm international though, maybe that's why? :(

Edited: My email is a bit different though...

"This email is to let you know that your application is still with the College of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee. It is possible that the Committee hasn't reviewed your application yet or they have made a decision and haven't informed us yet.

Once reviewed, some applications receive a quick decision while others may be held for review again at a later time. I'm sure you can understand that due to the volume of applications, it may take some time to receive the Committee's decision. We will certainly notify you when there is any change in your application status."
you are

You are looking into this email way too much. All they are doing is keeping you updated with the status of your application. And it means exactly what they said. They either 1. Haven't reviewed your application yet or 2. The decision isn't 100% finalized and the people who sent out the emails don't know. Where does this email say you were rejected or put on hold or even a waiting list?

Yeah you're right, I should stop panic. Plenty of people here get the same email. Anyways, if I get a post-Dec interview I probably won't attend...

i want an interview here so i can visit cali.

Last edited:
Can I ask you when your mail-out date was and when you received your under review email!

School: Western
Notification date: 09/2/16
Method of notificaton: Missed call, then email
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/22/16
Application complete date: Under review email received 08/5/16
GPA (science, overall): 3.97, 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/26/20/20/none

Notification date: 09/2/16
Method of notificaton: Phone Call then Email
Application Ready to Review Date: 08/09
Application complete date: Under review email received 08/5/16
GPA (science, overall): 3.65, 3.65
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/25/22/23/none

Has anyone non Cali/west coast got an interview yet?

Congrats btw guys!

Last edited:
Got the invite a couple days ago. I'm an out of state applicant.

Notification date: 08/31/16
Residency: MI
GPA (science, overall): 3.40, 3.45
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/24/20/24/none

Dang it looks like they love the high DAT scores. Congrats!

All of you have incredible DAT scores!! I'm so jealous haha. I'm so grateful to have gotten an interview here with my stats, be patient everyone and best of luck!! :happy:

These scores are way above the competitive class stats for Western

Reactions: 2 users
What if these are the new competitive stats for 2016?!
Absolutely possible! However these majority of the scores I am seeing are on the level of UCLA, UCSF, etc.. I assumed that's where we would see the 23+ AA students heading and some more average students at other colleges

How many acceptances above their usual class size do most schools hand out?

I've been told they received 3000+ applications, it's gonna take a while for them to sift through them all.

Also interviews are on "equal footing" meaning if you're invited, acceptance decisions are no longer based on your numbers i.e. whether you 4.8 oGPA 33 AA or 3.1 oGPA 18 AA doesn't matter.

S

Last edited:
Notification date: 09/01/16
Residency: NC
GPA (overall): 3.27
DAT (overall): 22

Good luck to everyone! Also, does anyone know if the interviews actually end at 1:00pm? I'm trying to determine if a 2:30pm flight is too risky

Good luck to everyone! Also, does anyone know if the interviews actually end at 1:00pm? I'm trying to determine if a 2:30pm flight is too risky

Gives me hope. I have similar stats.

I got an interview at WesternU I got contacted on sept 2,but my interview is nov 4 not October 1 like some of you here.do you know why?Thanks
3.8 overall gpa 3.85 science gpa AA 21 Total science 23

Congrats! When did you guys receive the "App Ready for Review" email if you don't mind me asking?

I just got the call! I'll see everyone there on October 1st!

Notification date: 9/1/16
Method of notification: Phone, then email
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/15/2016
Application complete date: Submitted 6/25/16, Verified 7/11/16
Supplemental: Completed 7/14/16
"Sent for review" email: 7/29/16
GPA (science, overall) sGPA: 3.95 oGPA: 3.96
DAT: 22AA/21TS/20PAT/21RC/none below 17

@DSNCSUN Your call is next!
So ur interview date for westernu is oct 1,that's interest in mine is nov 4 lol?do u know why

They only do one interview a month?
They do 6 interview dates for pre-December interviews..so about three weekends (Fridays +Saturdays).

Looks like October 1st is the first date given out so far...

So I just got an email saying I am missing 3 semester units of English. They want a total of 6 semester units of English? Not semester hours?

How long after sending the secondary did you guys receive the "App complete/ready for review/sent to committee" email?

I sent mine on 8/22 and have yet to get that email. I'll probably call on Tuesday if I don't receive an email by then.

I sent mine out on 8/22 too. Got the ready to review email 9/6.

Here is another quote from last years thread to ease some more nerves.

Hey guys, to ease your mind a little more... I got accepted to western dec. 1 so it's definitely in no way a soft rejection or a "not really interested in you" email! Hope that helps!

Does anyone know how long it for took their application to go from "Ready for Review" to "Under Review"? Or is the next time they notify you when they tell you your file is "Continuing Review" or when you get an interview?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long it for took their application to go from "Ready for Review" to "Under Review"? Or is the next time they notify you when they tell you your file is "Continuing Review" or when you get an interview?
My Banweb status still says Application Received, not Under Review or anything. App was complete mid August. Have you guys had any updates on status from Application Received?

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.