The one about the guy that looks like Lemmy.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just getting home. Typed up an e-mail to my buddy about this odd patient encounter (he's a non-medical person, so I had to use non-med terms for him). Figured I'd share it. After all; it kinda feels like something that Birdstrike would write.

I'm taking care of a guy with a rather wicked abscess near his left tonsil. Thing is so big that he really can't shut his mouth comfortably. For context - the guy looks like he belongs at a *Motorhead* concert, or is a member of our local "Sons of Anarchy" chapter; he clearly has lived a life of amphetamines and cigarettes - likely contributing to his present condition. At any rate, the guy is in need of help; he has a truly urgent/emergent condition. I got some antibiotics and steroids rolling in him and he begins to feel better in the manner expected after an hour or so. I tell him: "Hey, I have to keep you here in the hospital; this thing will likely need to be surgically drained tomorrow." He says that while he understands, that he has "to go back to his business and shut things down; shut down all the machines". He's very vague about just what these machines are and why he has no co-workers that can "shut the machines down"... but looking at his teeth and complexion, I'm pretty sure that he's got to shut down the meth cookery before it blows sky-high. After all; few legit things are going on at 1 AM. He says that he understands me, but "has to sign out AMA". I read him my speech, have him sign all the forms, etc. Before he leaves, he looks at me and shakes my hand - says; "Thanks for being kind to me - I'll be back in 1-2 hours. I promise. I'll bring you a cup of coffee." Guy walks out the front door. I know he's not coming back... they never do, after all.

2 hours later... guy comes back to the ER. Politely asks for me, and hands me the promised cup of coffee. Guy says; "I may not have much in this world; but I do have my word." He will be seen in the morning by the ENT docs for drainage of the abscess. Even meth-heads can return kindness, it seems.

No way was I drinking that coffee, though. Too freaking scared that I'll be up for DAYS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Aw. That does echo of Birdstrikeyness.

Good story. There are decent, grateful people out there. Sometimes they're just hard to see, but a nice reminder. Thanks for sharing. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just getting home. Typed up an e-mail to my buddy about this odd patient encounter (he's a non-medical person, so I had to use non-med terms for him). Figured I'd share it. After all; it kinda feels like something that Birdstrike would write.

I'm taking care of a guy with a rather wicked abscess near his left tonsil. Thing is so big that he really can't shut his mouth comfortably. For context - the guy looks like he belongs at a *Motorhead* concert, or is a member of our local "Sons of Anarchy" chapter; he clearly has lived a life of amphetamines and cigarettes - likely contributing to his present condition. At any rate, the guy is in need of help; he has a truly urgent/emergent condition. I got some antibiotics and steroids rolling in him and he begins to feel better in the manner expected after an hour or so. I tell him: "Hey, I have to keep you here in the hospital; this thing will likely need to be surgically drained tomorrow." He says that while he understands, that he has "to go back to his business and shut things down; shut down all the machines". He's very vague about just what these machines are and why he has no co-workers that can "shut the machines down"... but looking at his teeth and complexion, I'm pretty sure that he's got to shut down the meth cookery before it blows sky-high. After all; few legit things are going on at 1 AM. He says that he understands me, but "has to sign out AMA". I read him my speech, have him sign all the forms, etc. Before he leaves, he looks at me and shakes my hand - says; "Thanks for being kind to me - I'll be back in 1-2 hours. I promise. I'll bring you a cup of coffee." Guy walks out the front door. I know he's not coming back... they never do, after all.

2 hours later... guy comes back to the ER. Politely asks for me, and hands me the promised cup of coffee. Guy says; "I may not have much in this world; but I do have my word." He will be seen in the morning by the ENT docs for drainage of the abscess. Even meth-heads can return kindness, it seems.

No way was I drinking that coffee, though. Too freaking scared that I'll be up for DAYS.
Great story. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the shout-out.

Aw. That does echo of Birdstrikeyness.

Good story. There are decent, grateful people out there. Sometimes they're just hard to see, but a nice reminder. Thanks for sharing. :)
I have a really good one I wrote sometime in the past that White Coat (from EP monthly, White Coat's Call Room) told me "Do. Not. Publish," but that I saved, that I so totally want to publish. I was going to save it for "my book" than I've never gotten around to writing (yet.) I went back and read it the other day while on a tropical island, and almost hit the "Cut, past, publish" buttons. So tempting. With recent events being what they are, it would be

SO

SO

SO

apropos.

Lol