The "ONE INTERVIEW" Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Idk about y'all but I see people with either 659 interview invites, or no invites at all. How about those of us with just one invite?

Call it confirmation bias or something, but I feel like we're a statistical anomaly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
me me me just had my only interview today from my dream school :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One interview here... impatiently waiting and hoping for more...:banana:

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think most schools have sent out interview invites

1 ≠ 2

LOL

Where two schools, I may ask?

Does NOVA have in-state preference? I think I was really close to applying there but for whatever reason I decided not to. My AADSAS cost was pushing $2500+ and I had to cut down some schools, sadly
I live in south florida but my residency is Maryland.

I don't think most schools have sent out interview invites
Eu entendo. Seems that most of us with one interview invites may have SOME redeeming qualities, but not sure if it's out of blind luck or something. If someone is URM and has 3.1 GPA 19 AA, that person may get 6 interviews, but a non URM with a 3.5 GPA 22 AA with no outstanding EC's may struggle to get interviews because he/she is a "generic" candidate.

Reactions: 3 users
Eu entendo. Seems that most of us with one interview invites may have SOME redeeming qualities, but not sure if it's out of blind luck or something. If someone is URM and has 3.1 GPA 19 AA, that person may get 6 interviews, but a non URM with a 3.5 GPA 22 AA with no outstanding EC's may struggle to get interviews because he/she is a "generic" candidate.
Sadly this is too true.

I really don't know anyone like this (yet) - a 3.1 is awefully low low

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't know anyone like this (yet) - a 3.1 is awefully low low

it happens, to maintain demographic diversity, schools try to accept some from every racial group as possible. thus, if you are white/asian (whose groups have the highest average GPA and test score compared to others), your 3.5 GPA is pretty just average and not impressive because it is probably below average compared to other students in this group. but if you are hispanic or african american, where most students dont have 3.5 or even 3.1 or dont even apply to dental school, the pool you are in is much much smaller. hence, this is why dental schools still interview and accept low GPA/low DAT because they are URM.

Do you happen to know if dental schools employ some sort of racial quota like med schools or do they just "eyeball" it based on the individual applicants circumstance? I hope it's the latter, since every applicant is gonna have their own story, regardless of race, but I haven't heard of some sort of quota before.

Not to pull the race card, but seems like Asians get the short end of the stick, no pun intended.

no one actually knows what goes on in the admission committee group. all schools must have complex algorithm to sort through massive application number with so few number of faculty members and limited time.

acceptance based on quota is illegal actually and no school admits this but they will diversify their classes by accepting underpresented/underserved students (Hispanics/African American/ so called URM) if the students prove worthwhile. These students have stories too and they get in with lower stats.

anyways, the admission process is very unpredictable but its just the general trend.

It's not even September yet lol. You have plenty of time.

Reactions: 7 users
Up until two weeks ago I only had one interview too but I got two more interview invites last week so hang in there!

Only one interview so far-Nova, had it yesterday!

Afaik having zero interviews is much worst than having one.

My class is literally almost 50% asian. I'm not even exaggerating.

I remember watching the white coat ceremony a couple years back on YouTube and noticing this! I think they had a class of like 20% North Korean students alone and I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or not. Lol. I think Penn draws in a ton of overseas researchers, some of which end up in dental school.

I get to join this club today:banana:

I remember watching the white coat ceremony a couple years back on YouTube and noticing this! I think they had a class of like 20% North Korean students alone and I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or not. Lol. I think Penn draws in a ton of overseas researchers, some of which end up in dental school.
I'm pretty sure they weren't North Korean....
Im on my phone, cant see the signature.
Turn your phone sideways, it shows the signature that way.

Lol, oh my gosh! I didn't mean North. South. They have internship programs in Seoul apparently.

The flu and interview season have seriously turned my brain to mush, I'm sorry. I'm going to stay off the internet for a while. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Well I hope I join this club next week, after ~2.5months my committee letter is finally uploaded!!!

Turn your phone sideways, it shows the signature that way.

Lol, oh my gosh! I didn't mean North. South. They have internship programs in Seoul apparently.

The flu and interview season have seriously turned my brain to mush, I'm sorry. I'm going to stay off the internet for a while. Hahaha.

Psh, nonesense. Acording to glorious leader Kim Jong-Un: North Korea, Best Korea. #1 students in the world.

Reactions: 6 users

Lol don't sweat it. Last week I stressed how important it was for a man's belt to match his socks while wearing a suit haha.

Like how we went from one interview to North Korea, awesome sauce!

be grateful for that one interview. it will only get tougher to get interview from here on out.

be grateful for that one interview. it will only get tougher to get interview from here on out.
Please explain, lol. Most schools haven't even sent out any invites yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Please explain, lol. Most schools haven't even sent out any invites yet.

I mean it really common sense. I cant believe you need me to explain. But here we go. By now most applicants already send in their application. More applications mean each individual chances at an interview decreases because there are so many applicants fighting for those few interview spots.

Wouldnt you agree it easier to get an interview if only 100 people apply vs 2000? Same logic apply here.

I mean it really common sense. I cant believe you need me to explain. But here we go. By now most applicants already send in their application. More applications mean each individual chances at an interview decreases because there are so many applicants fighting for those few interview spots.

Wouldnt you agree it easier to get an interview if only 100 people apply vs 2000? Same logic apply here.
It's rolling admissions... They look at applications in the order which they receive them. Sure, if you applied late then you're at a disadvantage. If we applied back in June/July and our schools haven't sent out any invites yet then it doesn't matter how many people apply now... Your common sense seems a little backwards.

Reactions: 5 users
It's rolling admissions... They look at applications in the order which they receive them. Sure, if you applied late then you're at a disadvantage. If we applied back in June/July and our schools haven't sent out any invites yet then it doesn't matter how many people apply now... Your common sense seems a little backwards.

Just because they look at your application first because of rolling admission doesnt mean it wont affect your application. There is so much applications on their desk right now, the order at this point dont even mean anything anymore. Why do you think applicants with better stats get an interview before someone that applied a month before them. Rolling admission only give you an advantage at the beginning stages when there arent that many applicants to compare with.

Just because they look at your application first because of rolling admission doesnt mean it wont affect your application. There is so much applications on their desk right now, the order at this point dont even mean anything anymore. Why do you think applicants with better stats get an interview before someone that applied a month before them. Rolling admission only give you an advantage at the beginning stages when there arent that many applicants to compare with.
Sigh... The point is is that some schools have not even started looking through applications/issuing interviews, like I said earlier. We are still in August. We are still at the beginning stages and yes, the order does really matter lol. For example, on my list of 11 schools, only 3 have sent out invites. All the invites have been sent out to applicants who completed their applications/supplement before me and it looks like they're being sent out in order of app/supp completion.

You're talking about further down the road in the cycle. Not today, like your initial post stated. If your stats and extracurriculars are below average (in the eyes of the d-school) and you see someone get an interview who completed their application a month after you, then yes, you are at a disadvantage. You are technically thrown into a pool with all the other below average applicants and then it becomes survival of the fittest.

Sigh... The point is is that some schools have not even started looking through applications/issuing interviews, like I said earlier. We are still in August. We are still at the beginning stages and yes, the order does really matter lol. For example, on my list of 11 schools, only 3 have sent out invites. All the invites have been sent out to applicants who completed their applications/supplement before me and it looks like they're being sent out in order of app/supp completion.

You're talking about further down the road in the cycle. Not today, like your initial post stated. If your stats and extracurriculars are below average (in the eyes of the d-school) and you see someone get an interview who completed their application a month after you, then yes, you are at a disadvantage. You are technically thrown into a pool with all the other below average applicants and then it becomes survival of the fittest.

Order advantage is insufficient at this point. You think at this point your application will have an advantage against someone that apply 3 days before your? If schools are waiting till now to review applications, they are probably reviewing 200 to 300 in a given days. That mean you're competing with those 200 to 300 applicants for just a few interview spots. wouldnt that make it harder vs getting your application reviews earlier against fewer competition? Like most people on here say batches doesnt mean anything as long as you get everything in before aug. They probably dont even look in order of the applications they received. I seen people received the email their app was completed before mine when i send mine weeks before them. I also seen people that apply after me but received an interview before me. You think they look at my application first then skip over it and come back again a week later to offer me an interview? Highly doubt they got that much times to look over my application on a weekly basis.

But my initial post wasnt really clear. I should of stated that it was really meant for schools that started offering interview already.

Last edited:
Man, we need to lighten up. Last time I checked, no one is an all knowing ad com here... we are all in the same boat in the middle of no where waiting for an answer. Go to the gym, go for a walk, go read a book or go do some day drinking... something. :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
or be stuck in a lab like me and run western all day.. sigh
That was my summer life. Column Chromatography for days. I still have nightmares about it.

C'mon its not even September yet! 1 interview is plenty for August. I bet half the schools haven't even started sending interview invites yet.

C'mon its not even September yet! 1 interview is plenty for August. I bet half the schools haven't even started sending interview invites yet.
Everyone was saying in August we'll bombarded with interviews

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an interview invite at UNLV this morning, for a total of 2 interviews.

I shall banish myself from this thread.