the only one who didn't do very well on 3R verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just took 3R today to boost my confidence, since i know my nerves are all over the place.

i pulled a 13 in PS and a 12 in Bio which is nice, and taken with a grain of salt since it is 3R. but i received a 9 in verbal..which i'm not very happy about.

my verbal score has avaraged around 10, going as high as a 11 a few times, and as low as 7 once.

this 9, in what is said to be the easiest of the exams, frustrates/scares me. the whole point of me retaking the mcat was to walk into the exam feeling like i could get a 10 for sure. i'm honestly not so sure anymore.

do you think i should do a Verbal 101 on wed (in the hopes that i'll do well)? perhaps to ease my nerves a little? or should i just let it go and hope for the best on saturday. my verbal always seems to alternate between a disatisfying score and a 10+ ...i'm not sure why this happens. for example, one test i'll get a 9, the next 10. etc.

also another thing i noticed today...i had the right answer at first, but then i would change my mind and try to justify this. i did this for 6 questions, and this could have put me in the 11 range. how do i know when changin the answer is right, and when i should just go with my first instinct. i think i've made myself think that verbal is some big mind game and they are always out to get me, when sometimes, they aren't.

and the last thing i noticed is that i bombed one of the 10 question passages on confucius (4/10 correct).

any tips on how to work through these issues? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

bananaboat said:
i just took 3R today to boost my confidence, since i know my nerves are all over the place.

i pulled a 13 in PS and a 12 in Bio which is nice, and taken with a grain of salt since it is 3R. but i received a 9 in verbal..which i'm not very happy about.

my verbal score has avaraged around 10, going as high as a 11 a few times, and as low as 7 once.

this 9, in what is said to be the easiest of the exams, frustrates/scares me. the whole point of me retaking the mcat was to walk into the exam feeling like i could get a 10 for sure. i'm honestly not so sure anymore.

do you think i should do a Verbal 101 on wed (in the hopes that i'll do well)? perhaps to ease my nerves a little? or should i just let it go and hope for the best on saturday. my verbal always seems to alternate between a disatisfying score and a 10+ ...i'm not sure why this happens. for example, one test i'll get a 9, the next 10. etc.

also another thing i noticed today...i had the right answer at first, but then i would change my mind and try to justify this. i did this for 6 questions, and this could have put me in the 11 range. how do i know when changin the answer is right, and when i should just go with my first instinct. i think i've made myself think that verbal is some big mind game and they are always out to get me, when sometimes, they aren't.

and the last thing i noticed is that i bombed one of the 10 question passages on confucius (4/10 correct).

any tips on how to work through these issues? :confused:

I took the 3R test on saturday (silly me...taking aamc 8 and 9 early in the game and having to take 3R towards the end) and that confucius passage was AWFUL. I ended up with a 13 on the verbal, but 5/6 questions I got wrong were on that confuscius passage. Regarding your score, I'd chalk it up to that passage being awful and not your inability to do verbal.
Take another verbal tomorrow or wednesday, but make sure you're focused. Go to the library, sit in a quiet spot, maybe even do a warmup passage. I find that if I'm not focused (trying to do passages while at work or relaxing on my bed), my score can go as low as a 9...and I consistently get 12s on VR if I'm in the library and focusing.

[hope that helps...]

a part of me just wants to do a verbal test (EK) every day of this week and bash it into my head and somehow magically improve. and the other, more rational part of me knows that some magical improvement just isn't going to happen.

i suppose its better for me to maybe just focus on some strategy tomorrow, and then maybe wed i can do a section test. i just need it to go well, so that i can walk into the exam on saturday with confidence.

i know i can do this. i really hate the thought of rewriting this exam for the third time. its just not gonna happen! considering how very hard i've worked to improve my sciences....unfortuantley the hard work in verbal practice just didn't give the same rate of return. :(

i just hate the way that the difference between a 9 and a 10 can mean just one question. and here in ontario, where two (of only six) schools requires a 10 to even be considered.