The over 28 (years old) club. But everyone is welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently there was a poll on this site about what age you will be when you enter dental school. What is interesting about it is the number of people who marked that they will be 28 years or older. Being a 29 y/o man and changing my career for one in dentistry, I must say that I found this poll to be particularly interesting. So I figured why not start a thread for us "old people" :)

So I'll throw out the first topic.

Do you feel that we have any decided advantage over the traditional applicants?

I for one feel that we do. I do not think that age makes you any smarter but it definitely makes you more mature and disciplined. Additionally, I think we have an advantage at the interview. I first noticed this during my first interview last week where I was slightly surprised with how the other male applicants were dressed and how they seemed to present themselves.

And now an apology to all the young people out there that will probably hate me. I have tremendous respect for all of you. I only wish I had the same drive as you do now when I was an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

I just turned 28 last week! I am proud to be a non-traditional student. =)

I'm 30...so you'd think that I'd know better by now. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I may be the oldest in this place yet. I just turned 33 and will probably be close to 38 when I graduate, so... don't be discouraged. Look who's really feeling old.... :rolleyes:

I also had an interview and I was set up with students that were close to my age. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's folks as old as I am making it and doing well in dental school. There was a girl who was DS-4 and she was going to turn 38, so I was happy to see that. I'm excited and looking forward to 4 years of hard work in school and the rest of my life to be an awesome dentist!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The age thing was a big deal for me when I decided to go back to school. I have since come to realize that it really doesn?t make much of a difference. We should just do what makes us happy. Better to be 10 years older in a new profession that another 10 years into a profession you can't stand.

TGFTT... thank goodness for this thread... hahhahahha can I join... I was feeling kinda weird about it... I thought everyone on here was under 24 or so... just turned 30 this past summer... took the DAT afterwards... did ok... now i'm in the thick of things with apps... I hope all your aspirations fall thru... GOOD LUCK!!!

There are quite a few people over 27 at my school. Honestly, age doesnt matter, these "old" people fit in nicely with our class, and once you start hanging out with your class, age really doesnt play into the equation in how you interact with each other. I'm 24. :cool:

DMD_hopeful said:

I for one feel that we do. I do not think that age makes you any smarter but it definitely makes you more mature and disciplined. Additionally, I think we have an advantage at the interview. I first noticed this during my first interview last week where I was slightly surprised with how the other male applicants were dressed and how they seemed to present themselves.

Can one join the club if you know you won't get in until then? At the absolute earliest, I'll be in at age 26. Even though I'm only 23 right now, I feel like such a nontrad, even though I've only been out of college for 15 months. For me, it wasn't the drive, it was not knowing where to apply the drive, and will be forever ticked that I didn't max out my time there.

You're right about the interview. I've been through countless interviews in the 'real world' already, and am always shocked at how insulating the academic world can make people. Even when I was interviewing at jobs right after college, I was stunned how unprepared some people in my situation were. I'd be willing to bet some of your traditional applicants have never had to legitimately interview for anything in their lives.

On the other hand, we're at a disadvantage because we have so much other BS to worry about. In college, I had all day to worry solely about any job interview, and didn't need to worry about the rent check, cooking dinner, how work is going, etc. Now, it's 'oh yeah, I have this app, and then 5 other things right after that, and if I don't do all of them, I'm screwed.' Far more distracting.

Another advantage is that we've had more time to put serious experiences on our resume. We can then use these to present ourselves as more complete applicants both on paper and in the interview.

sidewalkman said:
Can one join the club if you know you won't get in until then? At the absolute earliest, I'll be in at age 26. Even though I'm only 23 right now, I feel like such a nontrad, even though I've only been out of college for 15 months. For me, it wasn't the drive, it was not knowing where to apply the drive, and will be forever ticked that I didn't max out my time there.

You're right about the interview. I've been through countless interviews in the 'real world' already, and am always shocked at how insulating the academic world can make people. Even when I was interviewing at jobs right after college, I was stunned how unprepared some people in my situation were. I'd be willing to bet some of your traditional applicants have never had to legitimately interview for anything in their lives.

On the other hand, we're at a disadvantage because we have so much other BS to worry about. In college, I had all day to worry solely about any job interview, and didn't need to worry about the rent check, cooking dinner, how work is going, etc. Now, it's 'oh yeah, I have this app, and then 5 other things right after that, and if I don't do all of them, I'm screwed.' Far more distracting.

Another advantage is that we've had more time to put serious experiences on our resume. We can then use these to present ourselves as more complete applicants both on paper and in the interview.

DONT any school ever ask you why u changed?

I have a friend who is 26..turning 27 and this is his fourth career change..what do u guys think?

Well I will be 36 next month :eek: and will be applying next cycle --age is just a number

Dinene RDH, BA

A good friend of mine in the NYUCD '07 is 39

If I get in somewhere this cycle, I'll be 30 when I matriculate. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 31 and looking to finish up orgo and Biology this year, which will complete my predent requirements this academic year.

I am in the club, too! I am 31 years old now and applied for 2005 cycle.

I knew there were a lot of us out there!

It's like that silly Blind Melon music video.. I have found the Bee People!

blankguy said:
I am 31 and looking to finish up orgo and Biology this year, which will complete my predent requirements this academic year.

Did you apply for 2005?

This is awesome! I didn't think there were so many of us. I will be 30 this December and plan on applying next year.

Yet another "old" person, even though I don't feel that way. Where did all the time go? Oh yeah, I've taken the time to enjoy my life (travel, party, relax, etc.) and I have the grades to prove it :rolleyes: . I believe it's made me a well rounded person, maybe my interviewers will pick up on that.

I turn 29 on November 6, and I am applying this cycle. That'll make me 33 when I graduate and who knows if I'll specialize :eek: .

I'm 31 and a very non traditional student.

Matriculated dental school: 27
Currently: 29.5
February 2005: I'll be 30
Earned DMD (anticipated graduation): at 31
If specialize in OMFS (4 year residency): I'll be a surgeon at 35
If specialize in OMFS (6 year residency): I'll be a surgeon at 37

You are only as old as you act and as young as you feel. Personally, I'm very excited to turn 30, I believe that in my 30s, I will have more excitment! Making my first dollar as a dental medical doctor, perhaps find that "one", buy my first property, and finally get a new ride! My 20s were fun, but it was all in academics, but in my 30s, I will be more established.

Looking forward to it, most definitely! :thumbup: ;)

I smell old people on this forum. steanky old people! holy crapp some of you are old of enough to be my father and or mother. heeheee :laugh:

I guess that answers your question...Maturity :smuggrin: .

hockeydentist said:
I smell old people on this forum. steanky old people! holy crapp some of you are old of enough to be my father and or mother. heeheee :laugh:

Darn young Wippersnappers!!! When I was Your age...........

DMD_hopeful said:
Darn young Wippersnappers!!! When I was Your age...........

Wow! You actually remember after all the booze??? :D

I'm 27, should be no older than 30 when I matriculate. I'm mixed on whether it's an asset to be an non-trad. I definitely don't think it hurts your chances. It's value would largely depend on what you've made of yourself in other endeavors. I think you would have to prove that you distinguished yourself in some other profession for it to give you an advantage. However this is somewhat unfair because traditional applicants only have to prove their academics and EC credentials, which by itself is a very shallow way to discern the "quality" of a future professional. What's there to say that they aren't horrible business people who couldn't manage a lemonade stand or they have personality issues and don't know how to cooperate?

I am 26. When I was 24 I decided that I was going to pursue Dentistry. I felt old. Now, I am back in school and although I am older than most, I feel great. I look younger than most 22 year olds too so that does not hurt. I will be 32 when I graduate and I am okay with that. For the person who is 38, be glad that you made a move now, and that you took decisive action. I am sure D-school will be filled with mature people that won't give a damn what age you are. **** man, what are 4,5,6, or even 10 years anyways if this is your goal. Barry Bonds having his best years in baseball and he is now 41. 25 years from now, when we will be in the thick of the profession or at the end of it, what's it going to matter? Not a damn thing because we will be established dentists. If you are feeling old, get some exercise and change your habits, put your cane in the closet, pop some blue pills, and get to it.

If I get in this cycle, I'll be 28...It's coming up in just a few months. I think the age brings a maturity and experience that youthful enthusiasm can't match. No matter the age, best of luck to everyone.

I'll be 31 close to 32 when entering school next year. I went to college for 1 1/2 years in 91/92 and then did a four year tour in the Army. I was married to my wife in 1996, the last year I was in the Army. After release from the Army I was an electrician for 5 years during which my wife returned to school and got degree in dental hygiene. We had our first child, a daughter, 1 year ago with more to follow :D .

Personally being older has given me the oppurtunity to be in many types of leadership roles and I have also had the oppurtunity to learn how to work with people from all walks of life, both of which I believe will be a great help when starting a practice. Also it has given me a chance to grow and learn what qualities are important to me in a career and also just mature as a person overall. It has been a great advantage to me having a wife that knows what it is like to be a student and what is required of me time-wise to get above average grades. Having her support has been a great source of strength for me during my under-grad work and I feel that it will also be a great asset in D-school. I know that at the end of the day I can come home to a wonderful spouse and daughter that support my goals 110%.

Reactions: 1 user
And yet another wise person to the club. I'm 32 and feel physically and mentally stable to take on the challenge and responsibilities ahead! :D Oh and by the way also a hygienist!!

I am turning 29 next month ;) . So, I am definitely in this club.

This will be my first career change. I have been a respiratory therapist since 1996. Now, I want to be a dentist. I want a taste of the good life. I want to be a professional who works family friendly hours (no more 12-hour night shifts), and a professional who gets instant gratification from her procedures (no more take this medication and call me in 1-2 weeks to see if it is working). Yes, dentistry is a good career change for me.

We definitely have an advantage because we have the experience of life. Most patients will probably prefer us "older folks" providing care for them because we have that look of "this is not my first time doing this procedure". Don't you agree? At the hospital where I work, it seems the medical residents who are older have more confidence, and the patients seem to trust them.

I turned 27 yesterday and the thing is I don't feel older than 21, although I am getting more and more gray hair. As 2thDk stated, I think an *advantage* is maturity, although that is a relative term and it is applied differently to different people. I suppose that it is a personal advatage (and not used against another person) in the sense that I took my sweet time graduating and exploring my options. With all of my experiences under my belt I have been able to dispel a lot of 'what if's' and I feel that I have a much clearer picture of who I am and where I am going than, say, when I was 20.

I started dental school at age 30 and was not alone there were a few people over 30 in my class which was definitely a plus. Immature students are a real drag, particularly if they're certain they have got it all figured out already. Disappointments will be on the horizon for them, this I am sure of.

ManzRDH said:
Well I will be 36 next month :eek: and will be applying next cycle --age is just a number

Dinene RDH, BA

Yes but you are already in the field. You are a dental hygienist. My father is a dentist and my mother is a dental hygienist. My dad wanted her to become a dentist but she wanted to spend more time at home. She went to NYU and they told her that she would have no problem getting accepted to dental schools. Although she did get somewhere in the high 90s on her boards.

33 but feel like 23. If I am fortunate to be accepted I will be 38 when I graduate. The way I look at it is: I can either be 38 and happy or 38 and miserable. Remember, today is the first day of the rest of your life-- make it count.
SE

Sprgrover said:
I turned 27 yesterday and the thing is I don't feel older than 21, although I am getting more and more gray hair. As 2thDk stated, I think an *advantage* is maturity, although that is a relative term and it is applied differently to different people. I suppose that it is a personal advatage (and not used against another person) in the sense that I took my sweet time graduating and exploring my options. With all of my experiences under my belt I have been able to dispel a lot of 'what if's' and I feel that I have a much clearer picture of who I am and where I am going than, say, when I was 20.

Sprgrover...you are wise in your old age. :thumbup:

Some pre-med/pre-dent students that I know seem like they pick medicine/dentistry out of the hat as a career when they are 18 then duck their head and plow through school. They may be intelligent, and dedicated, but I think some that I have met locked themselves into a career without ever really exploring what else was out there.

As an older student myself I have explored a variety of career options from selling cars to fighting forest fires. Now, with the perspective of experience, I choose dentistry with great confidence that it will meet my wants and needs.

I will be 27 IF I end up somewhere... I strongly concur with Sprgrover, maturirty is something that you gain with time, and I don't think you can rush maturity at a younger age (unless your parents were really hard-core conservatives :D), it will just come to you. So, in a sense, being older has serious benefits that plays imprtant roles in life as well as in school - you will just have to keep the younger folks jelous of these qualities.

Maybe life will start at 30 afterall... :rolleyes:

It's funny...as in, odd funny...to see a late 20-something, even 30 something referring to themselves as "old." :rolleyes: These ages are just stepping stones. Both the older and the younger have things they can take from one another...all have something to contribute :p There are early 20somethings with more maturity than their older counterparts, and vis versa...number doesn't necessarily mean a dang thing. Age, like life...is what you make of it

BeachLuvr said:
It's funny...as in, odd funny...to see a late 20-something, even 30 something referring to themselves as "old." :rolleyes: These ages are just stepping stones. Both the older and the younger have things they can take from one another...all have something to contribute :p There are early 20somethings with more maturity than their older counterparts, and vis versa...number doesn't necessarily mean a dang thing. Age, like life...is what you make of it

I totally agree with you about age just being number, I may be 29 but I feel (and sometimes act) 21.

About us being old.. Well I don't think we mean it literally, or at least I don't. It's just that we are about 7-12 years older than the standard applicant.

Yeah, it's that those young'uns make me FEEL so old!! :oops:

trypmo said:
Yeah, it's that those young'uns make me FEEL so old!! :oops:

I know I am getting old because about two years ago all of the new music really started to get on my nerves and I began to refer to it as 'racket'. That and phrases such as "Do their parents really let them dress that way?" start falling from my mouth.....next stop...the raisin ranch where, if I'm lucky, I'll get changed twice a day..... :laugh:

I will be 31 when I enter Dental School! Its good to know there are more out there....Has anyone been interviewed? I wonder if the questions are modified for the "returning students"?

I am 31 and hope to matriculate in 06 or 07. I am so psyched I could burst! :D

Im 27, but turning 28 in November... Ouch, I just felt my hip crack... :D
Also a coworker has a daughter (14yrs old), and when I told her that I still listen to Tupac and SoundGarden, she said "Oh I listen to the oldies too..."

when I told her that I still listen to Tupac and SoundGarden, she said "Oh I listen to the oldies too..."

That hurts! :laugh:

So you mean to tell me that Tupac and SoundGarden aren't cool anymore? :confused:

I hate getting old......

if you have been out of school for a while (say over 2 years), who would be the best people to ask for recommendations if you apply for dental school?

Are you applying this cycle? Teachers are your best bet, if you can sign up for at least one biology class, one class with a lab and one other class and prepare to ask for letters. However, if you can't do this, maybe employers? I don't know how adcoms would look at this.

I know it's been 2 years, but have you tried to contact your old profs? Maybe they remember you!