The over 28 (years old) club. But everyone is welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
llchen said:
I have few questions, hope you could help me to solve them.
1. A particular cell steadily secretes protein into the surrounding fluid. The secretion is released from the cell by exocytosis from membranous vesicles derived from the Golgi Apparatus. The cell also functions as a storage site for glycogen. The cell can be identified as ...
a. a bacterium
b. a cyanobacterium
c. a cell from a terrestrial plant
d. a cell from an animal
( I chose C and answer is D, but why?)

Do both plant and animal has vacuole? I thought only plant has...

Matching:Organelle Function
Golgi apparatus - sorts and packages membrane and secreted protein
Smooth ER - cellular transport system.
(I had switch them)
Could anyone explain the answers? Thanks in advance!

yeah, because animals have glycogen as energy storage while plants have starch. so it can't be a plant cell.

Members don't see this ad.

captaintripps said:
I started dental school at age 30 and have been perpetually annoyed by groups of incredibly immature students. Just some warning of what you may be in for.

I guess I have already accepted that having to deal with some immature behavior is just part of the game. As older students, we are kind of like visitors in an unholy land, that is unless you never really matured much to begin with.

Some of the best people I have met doing my post-bac work are under the age of 23. I enjoy their unweathered and optimistic approach and have found that their seemingless endless levels of energy keep me working just that much harder.

bpenly said:
I guess I have already accepted that having to deal with some immature behavior is just part of the game. As older students, we are kind of like visitors in an unholy land, that is unless you never really matured much to begin with.

Some of the best people I have met doing my post-bac work are under the age of 23. I enjoy their unweathered and optimistic approach and have found that their seemingless endless levels of energy keep me working just that much harder.
Personally, all that optimism drives me NUTS. It's one of those things where they have to learn on their own the way the world works and it's nothing that can be explained, so (for me, at least) most of those conversations end up in polite disagreements.

However, I do like it when someone younger asks my advice and I've actually been through something similar so I can suggest something meaningful to help. It's kinda like I'm "paying back into the system" for all the help offered to me when I was their age, and I enjoy that feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
trypmo said:
Personally, all that optimism drives me NUTS. It's one of those things where they have to learn on their own the way the world works and it's nothing that can be explained, so (for me, at least) most of those conversations end up in polite disagreements.

However, I do like it when someone younger asks my advice and I've actually been through something similar so I can suggest something meaningful to help. It's kinda like I'm "paying back into the system" for all the help offered to me when I was their age, and I enjoy that feeling.

I was a lot happier before I had a better idea of how the world works. I am more than pleased to let somebody be a little ignorant about certain topics because we all know that they will find out sooner or later what it is really like out in the world. Though it is a little frustrating to bring up politics to classmates and be met with a blank stare.

Hi!
I'll be 28 when I start dental school at UNC next August. I feel that now I am more organized and can better manage my time than when I was in undergrad. I am married and have a 3-month old daughter so I hope I am right:)
Take care!

Congrats Maria! I started dental school when I was 27 and I have 2 children. Now, I'm almost 30 and I still can't see the the end of the tunnel. I'm so excited for my years in 30s. I'm looking forward to following:

1) Age 31, I'll earn my DMD
2) Age 30, I'll find out if I match into a Post-doc residency
3) I'll make my first dollar from my 1st career in my 30s
4) hopefully I'll purchase my first home during my 30s
5) hopefully I'll find "the one" and get married in my 30s
6) Age 38, my daughter will start HS as freshman

I just feel that my 30s years will have so much more to look forward to.

My 20s years were a lot of fun, but I'm so looking forward and excited about all that in store for my years in the 30s! :thumbup:

20s - my fun years
30s - my established years (and fun too)

Yah-E said:
I just feel that my 30s years will have so much more to look forward to.

My 20s years were a lot of fun, but I'm so looking forward and excited about all that in store for my years in the 30s! :thumbup:

20s - my fun years
30s - my established years (and fun too)

Nice post, Yah-E, and I share many of the same outlooks as you do (I'll be starting dental school at the tender age of 27 as well). I know that one reason I am looking forward to my 30's is that my career will bring greater stability to my life. Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far!

So where are some of my fellow 'old foggies' going to d-school?

I for one have no idea. Probably Uconn or UMDNJ.

DMD_hopeful said:
So where are some of my fellow 'old foggies' going to d-school?

I for one have no idea. Probably Uconn or UMDNJ.

LOL,

I was really hoping for an AZ invite but alas.... I think I will go to OHSU.

:p

I'm 29 so I guess I fall into this group of 'old foggies.' Anyway, just wanted to tell Darksunshine that Dr. S at AZ told us that he was only sending out 15 invites on Dec 1st b/c as of Dec 1st they will only have interviewed about 170 to 200 people and they want to interview a total of 350 to 400 before filling all of their spots. They told us not to worry if you don't get an acceptance on the 1st just as long as you do not get a rejection letter.

Hey, just wanna say hi to the club members~

I'm 27 now, but that's close enough, let me in!

It's good see people in our age group who are detemined enough to start a new/second career. It's very encouraging.

Good luck all~

foh said:
It's good see people in our age group who are detemined enough to start a new/second career. It's very encouraging.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Have you applied for 2005?

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the old timers club here. I am 34 yrs old. Just quit my career for the past nine years and have been working as a dental assistant since May. I interviewed at UF the third week in November and got an acceptance call on Dec. 1st. I will be 38 when I graduate. I think that gives me plenty of time to practice Dentistry.

hona

DMD_hopeful said:

Have you applied for 2005?

Yup yup!

And I got into 3 schools so far (plus 1 waitlisted), very excited!

I havn't decided which school I'll go to raise their "average-age" yet. :smuggrin:

I am 24 and finishing my sophmore year and wil probably be 30 when i finish. That's excluding if I specialize. I am in the same boat as some of you in respect to immaturity. I wish I could be more positive. I see a lot of young kids who think life is a piece of cake and think they are gonna make great money as a social worker or with a liberal arts degree. Now I am not talking about "It's not about money" type of people. I mean they really think they will make money in these professions and are not doing it because they love it. I think that people who are older and have been through some hard knox of life are a little more realistic and focused. Sometimes I have been referred to as negative but, I am just realistic. I am as positive as anyone I think, I just don't act like I am on crack and think that life is filled with bubble gum and puppies, lol. Should I be honest and crush their little worlds? MUAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sprgrover said:
Which ones? And yes, I think 27 qualifies you for the club.

Yay, I'm in the club!!! haha :)

So far, I got into BU, Temple, NYU, and Columbia (just got Temple today), and wait-listed at Buffalo. All so very good schools; I'll have to make a careful decision this week and reply them, so I can open up few spots for other people. :thumbup:

Sprgrover said:
Which ones? And yes, I think 27 qualifies you for the club.

Sprgrover,

Have you decided on which school yet?

I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide...

foh said:
Yay, I'm in the club!!! haha :)

So far, I got into BU, Temple, NYU, and Columbia (just got Temple today), and wait-listed at Buffalo. All so very good schools; I'll have to make a careful decision this week and reply them, so I can open up few spots for other people. :thumbup:

Congrats! And welcome to the Club

I am a newbie, and yes, I'm 28 and an "old head". :) Question: For schools that accept applications in March, why are they still encouraging us to take the test by the end of this year (December 2004)? Honestly, I was planning on taking the test in late January 2005. If there is something that I should know, let me know, please! I know that I'm pushing the deadlines for the fall 05-06 year, but if it doesn't work, I'll start applying again for the fall 06-07 year.

Ninette said:
I am a newbie, and yes, I'm 28 and an "old head". :) Question: For schools that accept applications in March, why are they still encouraging us to take the test by the end of this year (December 2004)? Honestly, I was planning on taking the test in late January 2005. If there is something that I should know, let me know, please! I know that I'm pushing the deadlines for the fall 05-06 year, but if it doesn't work, I'll start applying again for the fall 06-07 year.

Lets see if we can sort this out..

If you are applying for 2005 (class of 2009) the application opened in May 2004. While some schools continue to accept applications till March, the majority of their classes have already been filled with students who applied well before Dec 1 (the first day acceptances are officially released), therefore you are now competing for less available spots.

If you are applying for 2006 (class of 2010), then taking the exam in January isn't a bad idea since the application for '06 doesn't open till May '05. This way you'll have your complete application ready in May and be first in line when the schools start interviewing for c/o 2006.

If did file your AADSAS for 2005 already and aren't taking the DAT till late January, I strongly urge you to look at the schools you are applying to and see when their deadlines are. I imagine there is fierce competition for those last remaining coveted spots.

Best of luck to you

Well, after a huge fight, I was accepted to the Class of 2008 at OHSU.........at the ripe old age of 42. So, that will make me 46 when I graduate. I have been a dental hygienist for 12 years, the mother of two boys age 18 and 21. I have been married for longer than most of my classmates have been alive - 24 1/2 years!

Being older is a bonus - I stress a whole lot less than my classmates, and being a dental hygienist has provided me with a lot of advantages, too. Next term my hygienist classmates and I will be TA's in perio class for bookstore credit. We also have to pass a competency in Radiology, and then get out of the lab.

When my classmates were having a melt-down over waxing teeth, I just calmly sat there and had the realization that it is just a skill that has a learning curve...........stress less........ :)

I think she was half serious luder. She appears to be laughing at her self and her age and telling us that we should not worry about being older than 28 b/c we are still young (ie kids). I guess we have the best of both worlds. We have a bit of the experience that comes with age yet we most of us lack the grey hairs that often accompany such experience. Of course 4 yrs from now we will be singing a different tune.

I just turned 31 and will start my undergrad. classes this spring. I am not sure how long it will take, but I hope to apply to dental school within the next three years. I used to stress about my undergrad. classes when I was younger, but now after having a family, career, etc. it seems silly.

luder98 said:
To me, kids == immature. Most of people on this list (and on this forum) are mature and have experienced quite a lot in life. Calling us a bunch of kids is very immature and insulting, IMO.

Thanks for coming to my rescue J2AZ. Some people are way too serious. If I got defensive about every "old" joke my classmates have played on me this term - and over the next four years - I would be a mean and bitter "old" woman! Lighten-up and enjoy the ride! :D

Is there anybody out there who has been out of school (I mean to include post-bac, etc) for so long that they are having trouble finding science professors to write LORs? I have employers up the gazoo who are willing to write LORs, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding professors to write LORs since I haven't been in a classroom in 7 years.

Anybody else is this situation? What did you do? Thanks in advance.

TX Hopeful said:
Is there anybody out there who has been out of school (I mean to include post-bac, etc) for so long that they are having trouble finding science professors to write LORs? I have employers up the gazoo who are willing to write LORs, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding professors to write LORs since I haven't been in a classroom in 7 years.

Anybody else is this situation? What did you do? Thanks in advance.

Yo Tex,

I kinda was in your situation. I was out of school for only 3 yrs, but that is because I had spent 2 yrs doing a MS in CS. So I had not had any science courses for atleast 5 yrs. I thought that things would have been the same afer 5 yrs. Man was I wrong- Three of my professors had died; 4 of them had moved on to another university; and a couple had gone into retirement. To make matters worse was that the professors at our school normally taught both parts to a class (you would have the same professor for Orgo I and II, Bio I and II, etc).

What I ended up doing was a google search on some of the professors that moved on. And it worked. Some remembered me, and wrote letters for me. I also got letters from my MS professors, even though it wasnt science, but just to show that I can do grad stuff. And got letters from people i researched with. I DIDNT get in, but it was because... I HADNT TAKEN A SCIENCE CLASS IN 5 YEARS. That is what two schools told me, and told me to take some science classes to show that i can handle upper science.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Sag
(Damn im old..)

I will be starting my prereqs. this Fall and I am 31 and it should take me 3-4 years to do all of my science work. Will I be at a disadvantage and should I even bother? Thanks.

nomorelaw
i am 33 an was just accepted to NSU. I worked on prereqs for the last three years and it finally payed off. I say if it is what you want then go for it. if you are not serious dont bother, but your age shouldnt matter...

Older applicants definitely have an advantage as long as thier science courses do not have too much dust on them. If you haven't had a science course in a while retake some of the core requirements. Get good grades and you will likely get interviews.

There is probably an upper limit to age where it may hurt your application but that is well above 30 & 40. I know a women that was a nurse for 10 years then practiced dentistry for 15 years then at age 43 went to medschool. She is now an anesthesiologist she's 50 something now and has likely another15-20 years ahead of her unless she decides to retire.

Anybody here who has a sub 3.0 GPA?

DMD_hopeful said:
Recently there was a poll on this site about what age you will be when you enter dental school. What is interesting about it is the number of people who marked that they will be 28 years or older. Being a 29 y/o man and changing my career for one in dentistry, I must say that I found this poll to be particularly interesting. So I figured why not start a thread for us "old people" :)

So I'll throw out the first topic.

Do you feel that we have any decided advantage over the traditional applicants?

I for one feel that we do. I do not think that age makes you any smarter but it definitely makes you more mature and disciplined. Additionally, I think we have an advantage at the interview. I first noticed this during my first interview last week where I was slightly surprised with how the other male applicants were dressed and how they seemed to present themselves.

And now an apology to all the young people out there that will probably hate me. I have tremendous respect for all of you. I only wish I had the same drive as you do now when I was an undergrad.

Hey I am 29 yrs old and will be 30 when I apply.

I think I have a strong advantage to applying to dental schools as I have greatly matured over the last 6 years.

My big problem was that although I really wanted to be a dentist in college I just couldnt find the time to take the classes b/c I played NCAA basketball. Life was tough. Was like all I did was practice and sleep.

Now I am an accountant. A CPA to be more precise. Just finished up my masters degree at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and am not taking the pre-reqs. So far I have a 4.00. Only need to take Org Chem II then I can apply to dental in June. Its exciting. Theres no way I would have gotten grades like that in my undergrad years back in 94'. So I am a hopeful!!!

Only problem is that I have no idea what to study for concerning the DAT. Could someone please help me !!!!

Thanks !

Eddie [email protected]

eddiescott said:
Hey I am 29 yrs old and will be 30 when I apply.

I think I have a strong advantage to applying to dental schools as I have greatly matured over the last 6 years.

My big problem was that although I really wanted to be a dentist in college I just couldnt find the time to take the classes b/c I played NCAA basketball. Life was tough. Was like all I did was practice and sleep.

Now I am an accountant. A CPA to be more precise. Just finished up my masters degree at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and am not taking the pre-reqs. So far I have a 4.00. Only need to take Org Chem II then I can apply to dental in June. Its exciting. Theres no way I would have gotten grades like that in my undergrad years back in 94'. So I am a hopeful!!!

Only problem is that I have no idea what to study for concerning the DAT. Could someone please help me !!!!

Thanks !

Eddie [email protected]

Eddie,

The DAT covers six subjects - Bio, Gen Chem, Org Chem, Perceptual ability, Reading and Math.

My advice is to either take a review class (Kaplan) or pick up some DAT study guides (kaplan, Barrons, Exam crackers) or some books on applying to dental school (The Pred-dental Guide).

Best of luck to you!
-DMD_hopeful

I second what you say. Definitelly I have all the respect in the world for everybody in the SDN forum. They have shown us what we should've done when we were their age. Probably that is the reason why many of the young pre-dents have the same opportunity of getting into dental school. They have shown the necessary maturity to stand up in the DAT and kept good GPAs; hence, I think we all have the same opportunities for admission. Granted, we are more mature because we've had bumps along the road and have been forced to learn from many mistakes throughout our years; but, I don't think that necessarily should be an advantage over the young SDNers. Anyways, I hope everybody gets in and by the way, I am 31, happily married and...peace!!

Is it just me or does DMD hopeful's avatar look very ambiguous~???

boogaking said:

And what exactly are you implying??? :D :D

boogaking said:
No, not just you. It got me going at first too. :laugh:

Ok so I was riding the bus today to school (it was a pretty painful trip considering it was -30 degrees Celsius outside, that's like a -million degrees F.....burrrrrrrr) and I noticed this cute lady hop on the bus with her long puffy jacket and her hood on covering everything but her round face. She also had on her back a stuffed heavy backpack. I think she was around mid 30s. I kept staring at her thinking how much I respect her for going back to school. I'm 21 and I cannot imagine going back to school at that age, mainly because I would think it would be too hard especially when at that age you probably have everything set up in life, i.e. family, children, a career, a mortgage. To drop all that to pursue your dream would be the hardest thing for me to do. With that said I have the greatest respect for those of you who are non-traditional students, following your dreams, taking a chance, and hopefully all this will pay off for you. As for the little lady on the bus, I think she caught me smiling at her, for some reason I had the urge to go up to her and talk to her, but I think she might've gotten the wrong message from the smile I gave. :oops:

HuyetKiem said:
I'm 31 and a very non traditional student.

I am 29 and will be 30 when I apply. I am a certified public accountant and have a masters degree from UNCC>

I think I have a strong upper hand. I recently went back to take my pre-reqs and I have a 4.0 science GPA.

I say bring on the young competition !!!

Ive always heard that older students do better in the classes....

Makes sense. Were too damn old to have fun now!

Don't let looks fool you.... most at my company think im 23 and fresh out of college... you should of seen the look on their faces when they heard I was their new superviser... and that I was 31. booyah!!!! hhahahhahha I don't want to say I have knowledge and skillz cuz im older but I know I have mucho experience.... that allowed me gain that knowledge and skill.... it's more about the focus and realization of where you want to be in this world... being able to prioritize what matters most.... you have to realize that we have only one life to live... no time to be sitting around satisfied.... so much to do... so much to experience... I can't wait to start this next chapter in my life... over a decade after starting undergrad at UCD... here I go again.... hahhahaha CU here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS FUn??? I still hit up them clubs with vengence... there I don't mind ppl thinking im younger hahahhha

I too feel like a non-tradtional student. I am 23 and I am in my last year of undergrad. in the bio-pre-dent. dept. at VSU. But I have a 3.5 yr old son. I work 2 p/t jobs so there is nothing traditional about my life. But it keeps me strong and more focused i think on pursuing my goals. What do we think about UF or NOVA's dental programs?

Can I be part of the non-trad club? :D I am 28 and I still feel like a young chicken even though my age may not allow others to precieve me as such. I have a BA in Psychology w/ a GPA of 3.39. I plan on returning to school in Aug of 2005 to work on Dent pre reqs. I will be attending Nova in hopes to get a good footing in the Dental Dept there. Nova is a VERY expensive school for undergrad -$500 plus per credit. Financial aid will not alot me a grant b/c I already hold a degree. I partly won a Honors Scholarship from Nova for $3,500, but was denied it when they over looked the fact the
I already have a degree. I may only be able to afford a part time status (9 credits) w/ the loans that I will be granted.
I have been playing phone tag with the Adcoms form The DMD program @ Nova req any info on how competitive my app will be only attending on a part time bases.
I have tons of work experience in the dental field -5 years worth. I was in HOSA in High School to prepare myself for a future in Dentistry, but got sidetrack by fear of math. For example I was on the Deans list ever semester that I did not have a class dealing w/ math.
I am older now and realize that I will not be happy unless I pursue my dreams. I want to help people which is why I choose Psy(also the lack of math req didnt hurt either :laugh: )-but i still have a nagging desire to be able to have a more hands on experience in the healing process = Dentistry. :thumbup:
Can anyone give me advice on how I may be seen by adcoms in my situation. Is a Psy degree a strike against me? How about going part time due to financial reasons- how will this be seen? I am also Bi Racial (African American/White/ with a pitch of Cherokee Indian). I have concerns for the lack of Ethnicity I see in the Dental programs in Florida. Will my race be another strike against me? :confused:

I am sorry for the long post
so many questions so little time
Thank U in advance for your response(s) ;)

I need some help and thought you guys might be able to provide some insight . . . I was accepted last year to Tufts as deferred acceptance, and relatively recently I started a new job at which I was promoted. I'm now heading several projects and feel like I need a little more time to work things out at this new job, and so I dont seem like a complete ass by taking on all these responsibilities and leaving after having been with them less than a year and job half done in some way . . . so I'm considering trying to defer another year . . . is this a mistake? my original post is here
and I've already gone through defending myself to some of the other guys, but I'm really just looking for some genuine help in making a difficult decision. Any guidance you older wise men and women can help is greatly appreciated :)

iamwolverine said:
Ok I need help from you guys, I think the other young ones are giving me a lot of flack . . . I was accepted last year to Tufts as deferred acceptance, and relatively recently I started a new job at which I was promoted. I'm now heading several projects and feel like I need a little more time to work things out at this new job, and so I dont seem like a complete ass by taking on all these responsibilities and leaving after having been with them less than a year and job half done in some way . . . so I'm considering trying to defer another year . . . is this a mistake? my original post is here
and I've already gone through defending myself to some of the other guys, but I'm really just looking for some genuine help in making a difficult decision. Any guidance you older wise men and women can help is greatly appreciated :)

I am 35 y.o. myself and been where you are, know what you are feeling. You seem not to want to hear anything but what you want. good luck.

PanaRama said:
Can I be part of the non-trad club? :D I am 28 and I still feel like a young chicken even though my age may not allow others to precieve me as such. I have a BA in Psychology w/ a GPA of 3.39. I plan on returning to school in Aug of 2005 to work on Dent pre reqs. I will be attending Nova in hopes to get a good footing in the Dental Dept there. Nova is a VERY expensive school for undergrad -$500 plus per credit. Financial aid will not alot me a grant b/c I already hold a degree. I partly won a Honors Scholarship from Nova for $3,500, but was denied it when they over looked the fact the
I already have a degree. I may only be able to afford a part time status (9 credits) w/ the loans that I will be granted.
I have been playing phone tag with the Adcoms form The DMD program @ Nova req any info on how competitive my app will be only attending on a part time bases.
I have tons of work experience in the dental field -5 years worth. I was in HOSA in High School to prepare myself for a future in Dentistry, but got sidetrack by fear of math. For example I was on the Deans list ever semester that I did not have a class dealing w/ math.
I am older now and realize that I will not be happy unless I pursue my dreams. I want to help people which is why I choose Psy(also the lack of math req didnt hurt either :laugh: )-but i still have a nagging desire to be able to have a more hands on experience in the healing process = Dentistry. :thumbup:
Can anyone give me advice on how I may be seen by adcoms in my situation. Is a Psy degree a strike against me? How about going part time due to financial reasons- how will this be seen? I am also Bi Racial (African American/White/ with a pitch of Cherokee Indian). I have concerns for the lack of Ethnicity I see in the Dental programs in Florida. Will my race be another strike against me? :confused:

I am sorry for the long post
so many questions so little time
Thank U in advance for your response(s) ;)

If I was in your situation.... believe me I almost was.... I would apply for the Masters in Biomedical Science program over there at NOVA... from what I understand... if you qualify for the program... go thru the first year of graduate level science course... during the second year you actually can take classes with the dental school... and if you maintain a B average you're automatically accepted into the Nova Dental program... in addition ...if you get an A in any of the Dental school classes... you're exempt from taking them again when you are allowed (officially) into the dental program... but they have their requirements to get in.... but since you already have a degree... taking classes here and there...on a part time basis might not cut it... ADCOMM wants to see you complete a program successfully, with a challenging course load... on another note... the program cost about 25K a year but you qualify for loans and financial aid because it is a matriculating program... versus a part-time basis in a non-matriculating basis...where you're not qualified for any type of financial assistance...

rmpagnt said:
I am 35 y.o. myself and been where you are, know what you are feeling. You seem not to want to hear anything but what you want. good luck.

Would you be saying the same thing if I were in the middle of completing a masters or ph.d. degree? some opportunities only come once . . . i dont want to stay with this job forever, I dont want to stay for long at all, but I dont know if i should leave yet, and it's not because I question my committment to dentistry in any way, it's more a question of what I could do with this opportunity . . . I have no problem getting started with dentistry this year, I know it would probably be better for me, I would start making a lot more money as a dentist than in this job, I would probably end up paying a little less as tuition will surely rise next year . . . there are countless things that make it better for me to start dentistry right away . . . but at the same time I don't want to leave another job half finished.

By writing a letter requesting to defer another year do I lose my spot if I am denied? If it came down to the choice between going to dental school or the job, I would go to dental school, but if I am given the opportunity to defer another year then I would to finish what I started.

iamwolverine said:
I need some help and thought you guys might be able to provide some insight . . . I was accepted last year to Tufts as deferred acceptance, and relatively recently I started a new job at which I was promoted. I'm now heading several projects and feel like I need a little more time to work things out at this new job, and so I dont seem like a complete ass by taking on all these responsibilities and leaving after having been with them less than a year and job half done in some way . . . so I'm considering trying to defer another year . . . is this a mistake? my original post is here

Why are you looking for someone to justify your decision? If you want to continue working at this job -- then do so. It's not going to matter to anyone but you. If you are young and you don't mind putting d-school off for another year, then what's the big deal as long as Tufts lets you defer one more time.

If it were me.. well, that's another story. I would leave the job and pursue what I returned to school for -- dentistry! But it's not me. I've already had other careers and experienced that 'finding myself' part of life. I know I want to be a dentist and nothing is going to stand in my way.

If you want to take another year off, then go ahead. Just be sure that it is something you really want to do.

Best of luck

iamwolverine said:
Would you be saying the same thing if I were in the middle of completing a masters or ph.d. degree? some opportunities only come once . . . i dont want to stay with this job forever, I dont want to stay for long at all, but I dont know if i should leave yet, and it's not because I question my committment to dentistry in any way, it's more a question of what I could do with this opportunity . . . I have no problem getting started with dentistry this year, I know it would probably be better for me, I would start making a lot more money as a dentist than in this job, I would probably end up paying a little less as tuition will surely rise next year . . . there are countless things that make it better for me to start dentistry right away . . . but at the same time I don't want to leave another job half finished.

By writing a letter requesting to defer another year do I lose my spot if I am denied? If it came down to the choice between going to dental school or the job, I would go to dental school, but if I am given the opportunity to defer another year then I would to finish what I started.

Always another project, never ending. See many places wrap up a position and it's responsibility for a nice tidy ending? Good luck.

iamwolverine said:

If Tufts allows you to defer one more year... Kudos to you but do what you have to... spots in Dental school is scarce and should be given to people that have the highest desire to dive into the dental profession... Desire, Devotion, someone willing to sacrifice.... if you say you know you want to go into dentistry but yet you seem to want to delay it.... you just need to evaluate what you really want. Evaluate what matters most in your world and put them in a prioritized manner.... you're right! every year you delay your dental dreams you're losing out of money, experience, patients you could help, etc etc etc... well anyhow good luck with your decision!