The Power of Lobbying Groups and Politics in Health Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVS Rph 1980

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/HB01483I.htm

I have heard of this bill for a while now in different variants. While I won't discuss each section, I'll pinpoint the highlight of this act, namely:
"A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to the dispensing of aesthetic pharmaceuticals by physicians and therapeutic optometrists; imposing fees"

This would affect the Lone Star state for now. I have an inkling of a feeling that the political groups lobbying for physicians are quite influential. Any Rph's from TX here that wish to share their thoughts? I imagine the thoughts are not very positive.

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess that the lobbying groups for insurance companies, chain retail stores, and hospitals trumps everyone else. I hear a lot about how physicians are being squeezed by insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid with decreased reimbursements and increasing paperwork.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone is looking to make a buck. Aesthetic pharmaceuticals are generally purchased by people with high disposable incomes. This is nothing but a money grab by the physicians. I can hardly blame them though. It's getting darn near impossible to make a living with the government involved in health care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would guess that the lobbying groups for insurance companies, chain retail stores, and hospitals trumps everyone else. I hear a lot about how physicians are being squeezed by insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid with decreased reimbursements and increasing paperwork.

Phrma trumps all (except maybe large health insurers).

Phrma would be pro this bill as it serves as a way to get more drug purchased in the marketplace. Chains would be against this... Less money

Reactions: 1 user
Thats a shame. Pharmacists deserve a lot more respect in health care. It's a shame how this profession is getting destroyed from within and outside.

I am a family practitioner practicing in Fremont CA since 1992. I serve a huge indigent population of mixed ethnic groups. I have to warn the new student that are planing to get to primary care medicine. Talking good about serving people is one thing but delivering it is different. The new health care system does not leave any room for me to practice the passion of medicine. The essence of helping patients for us is time and peace of mind. With the new changes in health care both are lacking and is getting more and more crunched. Medi-cal of California pays $21.00 for a 15 min office visit. This is only for face to face management and half of it gets wasted looking at computer monitor instead of patient. With the new requirement of EMR it takes another 5-10 min charting and satisfying many elements in the notes that have no meaningful benefit for patients well being. With spending 25 min on the patients management for only $21.00 there would be no peace of mind nor time time to deliver world class medicine to the patients. Dr Ebrahim Ahmadi.

I am a family practitioner practicing in Fremont CA since 1992. I serve a huge indigent population of mixed ethnic groups. I have to warn the new student that are planing to get to primary care medicine. Talking good about serving people is one thing but delivering it is different. The new health care system does not leave any room for me to practice the passion of medicine. The essence of helping patients for us is time and peace of mind. With the new changes in health care both are lacking and is getting more and more crunched. Medi-cal of California pays $21.00 for a 15 min office visit. This is only for face to face management and half of it gets wasted looking at computer monitor instead of patient. With the new requirement of EMR it takes another 5-10 min charting and satisfying many elements in the notes that have no meaningful benefit for patients well being. With spending 25 min on the patients management for only $21.00 there would be no peace of mind nor time time to deliver world class medicine to the patients. Dr Ebrahim Ahmadi.
stop taking the medi-cal.... why take anything that costs you so much money

Big Pharma just lobbyed California senators millions to get the mandatory vaccine law passed. I'm certain it's for the good of the children though.