The practicality of TBR for 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yestomeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is a topic that's been discussed ad nauseam and I'm sorry if it has been (and you are welcome to direct me to threads that have already done a good job of discussing the below), but how practical or useful is it to use The Berkeley Review for chemistry (and I guess for any other subject, for that matter), for this new 2015 test?

TBR has often gone into more depth than have most other books
. I guess as chem, ochem, and physics have been reduced (breadth has been reduced), then the greater depth and breadth covered TBR books make them = still useful, learn everything, or redundant, as you now have to cross check every topic/section with AAMC topics/sections.

I mean take the chapter on gases for instance. AAMC says we should know barometers. (This is just an example). TBR goes in depth on manometers. I didn't see "manometer" in the AAMC section. Do I delve into the few pages TBR does on the manometers? Do I not? Please help. :(

Members don't see this ad.

The usefulness of TBR's old books for the new exam felt to me, as follows: bio >>>> gen chem > physics/orgo. They do go extremely in-depth; some find that helpful, others don't. But their practice passages are very valuable.

I have more test-taker commentary on the old TBR books in my signature.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I have visited your links before, I remember :). I'll do so with a keener eye again this time.

By the by, have you either a) compiled which sections for orgo that TBR or TPR are most helpful for the new exam, or b) perhaps seen others who've made threads on them? Hope that makes sense. Basically, orgo is a new topic for me so I find it a bit hard to try and "match" AAMC topic list stuff to the headings in the prep books :(. I am hoping you or others who are more knowledgeable have or are doing so, because I trust this work done by others way more.

Thank you! I have visited your links before, I remember :). I'll do so with a keener eye again this time.

By the by, have you either a) compiled which sections for orgo that TBR or TPR are most helpful for the new exam, or b) perhaps seen others who've made threads on them? Hope that makes sense. Basically, orgo is a new topic for me so I find it a bit hard to try and "match" AAMC topic list stuff to the headings in the prep books :(. I am hoping you or others who are more knowledgeable have or are doing so, because I trust this work done by others way more.

I don't know of any resources like that, sorry. The only thing I can think of is that I matched TBR orgo chapters to EK and Kaplan chapters? But I would think that carbonyl reactions and those involving nitrogen would be the most high yield.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of any resources like that, sorry. The only thing I can think of is that I matched TBR orgo chapters to EK and Kaplan chapters?

It's alright! And thanks.

By having matched TBR orgo with EK/Kaplan, do you think I can ask you for that list? :)
Sorry all this is pretty new to me; sometimes I have like 60 tabs related to this stuff open, trying to make sense of it all.

It's alright! And thanks.

By having matched TBR orgo with EK/Kaplan, do you think I can ask you for that list? :)
Sorry all this is pretty new to me; sometimes I have like 60 tabs related to this stuff open, trying to make sense of it all.

Links are in the signature of my first post in this thread. :) Both my study schedule and the TBR matchup links.

imo, TBR Bio I and II and Orgo II are requisite. also, not THAT many topics have been reduced from physics and gen chem (even though % contribution in the overall test is lesser), so all the physics and gen chem ones are still good (recommended but not requisite); forget orgo I

imo, TBR Bio I and II and Orgo II are requisite. also, not THAT many topics have been reduced from physics and gen chem (even though % contribution in the overall test is lesser), so all the physics and gen chem ones are still good (recommended but not requisite); forget orgo I

TBR I is [still] good for the non-biochem aspects of Bio, yes?
Ah ok, TBR Bio II is very good for biochem right. But it doesn't substitute for a current (2015, non-TBR resource on biochem right).

So, if I am getting you correctly, basically all TBR sections on physics and ten chem are still a go.

Would one not need orgo I to "get" or have orgo II make sense?
OR are you suggesting that the basics covered in the 1st book - one should know these anyway so just skip how TBR teaches it in that book, and jump ahead to book II (so do the content review with some other resource)
Sorry I haven't delved into orgo with TBR yet so my question is a bit rudimentary.

Thank you basophilic!! :)

Why is TBR orgo II a requisite? I thought a lot of the orgo reactions have been removed, aren't most of the orgo content removed found in TBR orgo II, not I?

TBR I is [still] good for the non-biochem aspects of Bio, yes?
Ah ok, TBR Bio II is very good for biochem right. But it doesn't substitute for a current (2015, non-TBR resource on biochem right).

So, if I am getting you correctly, basically all TBR sections on physics and ten chem are still a go.

Would one not need orgo I to "get" or have orgo II make sense?
OR are you suggesting that the basics covered in the 1st book - one should know these anyway so just skip how TBR teaches it in that book, and jump ahead to book II (so do the content review with some other resource)
Sorry I haven't delved into orgo with TBR yet so my question is a bit rudimentary.

Thank you basophilic!! :)

In terms of content review go with ANY prep book - just supplement it with khan academy videos AND school textbooks - and fill out the AAMC outline yourself
If you have the time, then definitely considering doing all TBR passages - they are great in nailing down content; but many of them are experimental in nature with long/convoluted passages, so you can still practice comprehension/passage info extraction skills with them

Why is TBR orgo II a requisite? I thought a lot of the orgo reactions have been removed, aren't most of the orgo content removed found in TBR orgo II, not I?

The carbohydrates and nitrogen chemistry chapters give the biochem-relevant organic chemistry; also, their lab techniques chapter is also pretty helpful
and of course carbonyls/alcohols is still huge in foundational concept 5

Reactions: 1 user

About half of the passages in the lipids, carbonyls/alcohols, carbohydrates, and nitrogen compounds chapters are biochemistry passages. Those four chapters make up book II in the new BR organic chemistry for the biological sciences book set.

I mean take the chapter on gases for instance. AAMC says we should know barometers. (This is just an example). TBR goes in depth on manometers. I didn't see "manometer" in the AAMC section. Do I delve into the few pages TBR does on the manometers? Do I not? Please help. :(

This is such a great question you've posted. It seems people fall into two camps with BR books. (1) People who like the mixing of topics and the wide variety of passages or (2) People who feel it's more material than they wish to work through. Admittedly, the books are aimed at student (1), and that's because the books are written by long time teachers who have experienced the difference between the "MCAT list" and the exam. The best way to learn material is through a combination of knowing the basics and then applying the material to different situations, which is what makes the text thick. If you embrace it, then you'll find this method of review is the best.

The barometer/manometer topic is a very good example, where a barometer is shown in Figure 6-12 and a manometer is shown in Figure 6-13. Both work on the same principle, which is summarized in Figure 6-14. It is followed by a question on the function of a barometer. So a BR student has learned the barometer, but is also prepared for a passage where the writer discusses a barometer in lab and the idea of height difference relating to pressure difference. They are less apt to be caught off guard by a seemingly new application, because they've been exposed to minor spin-offs.

It really comes down to style of learning, but if you are okay with learning through applications and passages, you really should stick with the BR books you have.

About half of the passages in the lipids, carbonyls/alcohols, carbohydrates, and nitrogen compounds chapters are biochemistry passages. Those four chapters make up book II in the new BR organic chemistry for the biological sciences book set.

Are the current UPDATED FOR 2015 BIO1+2 books worth getting then if I own both BIO1+2 and Orgo1+2 from the old MCAT?

Sorry, you're saying that 1/2 of those chapters (those you listed) within the 2nd of the organic chemistry books are biochemistry based. Is this what you are saying?
Also, is this about the old TBR (like I have an old version from a few years ago), or are you referring to the new 2015 set? (Are the 2015 ones out?)

Sorry, you're saying that 1/2 of those chapters (those you listed) within the 2nd of the organic chemistry books are biochemistry based. Is this what you are saying?
Also, is this about the old TBR (like I have an old version from a few years ago), or are you referring to the new 2015 set? (Are the 2015 ones out?)
Hi! After comparing my 2013 TBR bio book to the table of contents for their updated book, everything appears to be the same. I emailed TBR <[email protected]> a couple days ago regarding the same question and they got back to me really quick. I'll paste the contents of the very long email they sent below, hope it helps:

COMPARISON of MCAT STUDENT MANUALS
If you were to compare the MCAT student manuals from the 1990s, the 2000s, and the current one released in late 2014 (i.e., the one mentioned in the first paragraph above), you will see that the vast majority of the materials for the first three sections of the new exam has not changed. For example, one still needs to know physics and general chemistry in Section I. The equations F = ma in physics and pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA] in general chemistry have not changed. In Section 2, the "old" Verbal Reasoning section will still be applicable to the new section of the exam. In Section 3 they are supposed to remove a little Organic Chemistry, but not much. (When the exam changed from a paper-and-pencil exam to the Computer-Based Test (CBT) in 2006/2007, they said they would eliminate Alkenes, Benzenes, and Phenols. However, they still showed up on the exam!) The only noticeable change in Section 3 is that the AAMC has now said that one needs to have a minimum of a semester of biochemistry at the college/university level. We anticipated this change many (many) years ago and incorporated the necessary biochemistry into Book II of the Biology series.

BIOCHEMISTRY
The Biochemistry topics listed below are incorporated into our books and lectures.

Biology: Cell Structure & Function
Biology: Metabolic Components
Biology: Metabolism
Biology Genetic Information
Biology: Genetic Expression
Biology: Molecular Genetics
Organic Chemistry: Amino Acids & Proteins

All of the lecture topics listed above are Biochemistry topics. If you've completed at least a minimum of a semester of Biochemistry, and you have used a Biochemistry book by either Zubay, Rawn, Stryer, Voet & Voet, Garrett & Grisham, Mathews & van Holde, or Lehninger, Nelson, & Cox, you will see that this material is covered in those books.

The remaining Biology topics you see on the schedule are all Human Physiology topics.

What this means is that the only real (extensive) change in topics comes down to the addition of the new Psychology / Sociology section on the exam.

RECENTLY RELEASED PRACTICE EXAM and NEW FORMAT
The AAMC has recently released a new practice exam for the MCAT that is scheduled to begin in April of 2015. They said that this is the only practice exam they will release for the 2015 exam dates. I think they know that one exam is not enough to practice with, so hopefully they will release a few more practice exams as the year progresses. However, we are not expecting that as this is the same transitional pattern that they used when the exam radically changed in 1991. Back then it took years for them to release new material.

We have seen the newly released practice exam and the only thing that sticks out is the format change to the exam (e.g., the sciences are now 95 minutes and 9-10 passages instead of 70 minutes and 7 passages) and the addition of the new Psychology / Sociology component. The materials in the first three sections of the exam are pretty much the same as it has always been. The new section will require one to be familiar with Psychology and Sociology.

Because there were no radical announcements after the AAMC's annual meeting in Chicago this past November, we think the exam format is pretty much set at this time. However, they have said that their evaluation of the new exam will be ongoing and that if they need to make adjustments, they will. (Please reread that last sentence.) And as an interesting aside, at their San Francisco conference they even said that they would consider reintroducing the Writing Sample in a few years if they felt it was necessary.

MATERIAL UPDATE (BOOKS / EXAMS)
Since the first three sections of the exam are almost identical in content to the current exam, we have decided to use the same materials we currently have for our lecture-based review program and for the current set of Home Study books. The content and the passages in the current books will be fine for the new exam. As updated information about the transition into the new exam format is made available, we will adjust our materials accordingly.

At the moment, the only new addition will be the Psychology / Sociology component, which should be out by late July of 2015.

And, we just released three (3) practice CBTs for the new MCAT. Shortly after the AAMC released their one and only practice exam for this year, they changed its format (once again). Originally their practice exam had multiple questions that one could scroll through on the right side of the displayed practice passage. This is the format that our new exams were set to. They have since changed that format to being able to see only one question at a time. One can no longer scroll through the questions; instead, they are viewed individually. This meant we had to change the format of our practice exams. Our programmers are currently making this adjustment and expect to have it completed by late July of 2015.

In the meantime, if you are taking a June or July MCAT, and you do not mind the original format of multiple questions next to a passage (instead of viewing one question at a time), our exams in that format are available. If you are taking an MCAT offered in August or September, we would recommend waiting until the formatting change is complete.​

Maybe I missed it but the emai
Hi! After comparing my 2013 TBR bio book to the table of contents for their updated book, everything appears to be the same. I emailed TBR <[email protected]> a couple days ago regarding the same question and they got back to me really quick. I'll paste the contents of the very long email they sent below, hope it helps:

COMPARISON of MCAT STUDENT MANUALS
If you were to compare the MCAT student manuals from the 1990s, the 2000s, and the current one released in late 2014 (i.e., the one mentioned in the first paragraph above), you will see that the vast majority of the materials for the first three sections of the new exam has not changed. For example, one still needs to know physics and general chemistry in Section I. The equations F = ma in physics and pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA] in general chemistry have not changed. In Section 2, the "old" Verbal Reasoning section will still be applicable to the new section of the exam. In Section 3 they are supposed to remove a little Organic Chemistry, but not much. (When the exam changed from a paper-and-pencil exam to the Computer-Based Test (CBT) in 2006/2007, they said they would eliminate Alkenes, Benzenes, and Phenols. However, they still showed up on the exam!) The only noticeable change in Section 3 is that the AAMC has now said that one needs to have a minimum of a semester of biochemistry at the college/university level. We anticipated this change many (many) years ago and incorporated the necessary biochemistry into Book II of the Biology series.

BIOCHEMISTRY
The Biochemistry topics listed below are incorporated into our books and lectures.

Biology: Cell Structure & Function
Biology: Metabolic Components
Biology: Metabolism
Biology Genetic Information
Biology: Genetic Expression
Biology: Molecular Genetics
Organic Chemistry: Amino Acids & Proteins

All of the lecture topics listed above are Biochemistry topics. If you've completed at least a minimum of a semester of Biochemistry, and you have used a Biochemistry book by either Zubay, Rawn, Stryer, Voet & Voet, Garrett & Grisham, Mathews & van Holde, or Lehninger, Nelson, & Cox, you will see that this material is covered in those books.

The remaining Biology topics you see on the schedule are all Human Physiology topics.

What this means is that the only real (extensive) change in topics comes down to the addition of the new Psychology / Sociology section on the exam.

RECENTLY RELEASED PRACTICE EXAM and NEW FORMAT
The AAMC has recently released a new practice exam for the MCAT that is scheduled to begin in April of 2015. They said that this is the only practice exam they will release for the 2015 exam dates. I think they know that one exam is not enough to practice with, so hopefully they will release a few more practice exams as the year progresses. However, we are not expecting that as this is the same transitional pattern that they used when the exam radically changed in 1991. Back then it took years for them to release new material.

We have seen the newly released practice exam and the only thing that sticks out is the format change to the exam (e.g., the sciences are now 95 minutes and 9-10 passages instead of 70 minutes and 7 passages) and the addition of the new Psychology / Sociology component. The materials in the first three sections of the exam are pretty much the same as it has always been. The new section will require one to be familiar with Psychology and Sociology.

Because there were no radical announcements after the AAMC's annual meeting in Chicago this past November, we think the exam format is pretty much set at this time. However, they have said that their evaluation of the new exam will be ongoing and that if they need to make adjustments, they will. (Please reread that last sentence.) And as an interesting aside, at their San Francisco conference they even said that they would consider reintroducing the Writing Sample in a few years if they felt it was necessary.

MATERIAL UPDATE (BOOKS / EXAMS)
Since the first three sections of the exam are almost identical in content to the current exam, we have decided to use the same materials we currently have for our lecture-based review program and for the current set of Home Study books. The content and the passages in the current books will be fine for the new exam. As updated information about the transition into the new exam format is made available, we will adjust our materials accordingly.

At the moment, the only new addition will be the Psychology / Sociology component, which should be out by late July of 2015.

And, we just released three (3) practice CBTs for the new MCAT. Shortly after the AAMC released their one and only practice exam for this year, they changed its format (once again). Originally their practice exam had multiple questions that one could scroll through on the right side of the displayed practice passage. This is the format that our new exams were set to. They have since changed that format to being able to see only one question at a time. One can no longer scroll through the questions; instead, they are viewed individually. This meant we had to change the format of our practice exams. Our programmers are currently making this adjustment and expect to have it completed by late July of 2015.

In the meantime, if you are taking a June or July MCAT, and you do not mind the original format of multiple questions next to a passage (instead of viewing one question at a time), our exams in that format are available. If you are taking an MCAT offered in August or September, we would recommend waiting until the formatting change is complete.​
Maybe I missed it but the email doesn't seem to address the reason for releasing the new bio book or if it is same/different from earlier additions.

Maybe I missed it but the emai

Maybe I missed it but the email doesn't seem to address the reason for releasing the new bio book or if it is same/different from earlier additions.
The new MCAT has more Biochem in it, and the new TBR Bio books reflect that. When I ordered the new Bio 1 and 2, TBR sent one book that was from the last edition by mistake. They sent me a replacement and I get to keep the older version. I haven't even opened the older version, as the new one is more updated.

Has TBR ever considered offering classes out of California?

Back in the late 90s there was a BR in Seattle for a session, a BR in Chicago for one session, and one session in Ann Arbor. It became obvious that flying the best teachers around the country wasn't going to work well which would mean having to settle for some average teachers. The class depends heavily on superb teaching, so it was next to impossible to expand while maintaining quality.

I doubt they'll ever expand, because the powers that be at BR like being teachers more than business people.

Back in the late 90s there was a BR in Seattle for a session, a BR in Chicago for one session, and one session in Ann Arbor. It became obvious that flying the best teachers around the country wasn't going to work well which would mean having to settle for some average teachers. The class depends heavily on superb teaching, so it was next to impossible to expand while maintaining quality.

I doubt they'll ever expand, because the powers that be at BR like being teachers more than business people.

Has anyone ever discussed creating an online version of the class? Lectures can be recorded or streamed live, and all notes and homework assignments can be available online as well. It seems that that would be a great source of revenue, avoid the problem of having to lower quality, and possibly get more people to buy your products.

Has anyone ever discussed creating an online version of the class? Lectures can be recorded or streamed live, and all notes and homework assignments can be available online as well. It seems that that would be a great source of revenue, avoid the problem of having to lower quality, and possibly get more people to buy your products.

I'm curious about this too. Berkeley Review is highly regarded across the country.

Also I might know 2 people who may have taken the TBR course about 5-10 years ago. Both got into solid MD school without a gap year and were pre-meds in the So Cal area.

The thought of an on-line course has been tossed around at different times, but the lack of face-to-face class interaction substantially takes away from the learning and teaching experiences. Even though it's just a second or two, the unnatural silent moments (awkward pauses) can make the lecture disjointed. The theory option is an-line courses made of videos and a pre-set logon time for Q&A, but that just doesn't seem very useful. I know that is industry standard, but it just doesn't seem as good as live instruction. Who knows though, maybe the idea will be revisited and with better streaming technology, it will be a go.