The prescription opioid epidemic in a nutshell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am very upfront with both referring physicians and patients that I have a 100MED limit for CNP because of the risks associated with higher doses(1-4). However, even knowing my policy some PMD's and patients will still request a consultation with me. Under most circumstances my recommendations will be a wean < 100MED or detoxification with a 12 step & Suboxone. If the patient consents to - or the PMD insists upon it - the wean then I will take them on. However, if the patient refuses and the PMD is still going to prescribe then I am going to recommend intranasal narcan training for the patient and a loved one or family member given the risks of continued treatment.

We - especially us - need to adopt evidence-based strategies to reduce the health burdeon of opioids on our patients and the community. Two strategies that work are dose limits (5) and Project Lazarus. Project Lazarus is comprehensive but a part of it is the routine prescription of rescue medications(6).

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20837827
2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20083827
3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21467284
4. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21482846
5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22213274
6. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=historysearch&querykey=18

That makes a lot more sense.

I have a few questions:

1-When did you start this and did you have an "legacy" patients on higher doses that have been stable for a long times?

2-If so, did you insist they drop to 100MED or leave them alone and set it as a policy on new patients only moving forward?

3-I would assume quite a few patients that agree to the wean start complaining of worsening pain in the process and in this legal day and age might consider suing for pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of function, etc. Of the patients that come to you on higher doses that agree to wean to 100 MED, do you have them sign a consent form, stating they agree to it and that there is some risk of worsening pain, worsening functional status, loss of work, etc?

4-How many Pain docs that you know of are setting this as a policy? Is it a significant percentage, nationally?

5-Are there any Pain Societies making this as a statement or guideline (other than Washington State, I don't know of any, and correct me if I'm wrong, even with them it's a "guideline" not an absolute dose limit)?

6-You state under "most circumstances" you recommend wean to 100 MED, detox or 12 step. That's implies you have exceptions. If so, what are they?

7-Do you feel that having a 100 MED limit inhibits you from effectively treating people's pain as much as you could?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That makes a lot more sense.

I have a few questions:

1-When did you start this and did you have an "legacy" patients on higher doses that have been stable for a long times?

I really started buying into the MED argument about 2 years ago. Personal discussions with folks @ UW - I trained there - and PROP convinced me. I had no patients on higher doses at that time but since then I've consulted my share. Most I refuse to refill unless they wean.

2-If so, did you insist they drop to 100MED or leave them alone and set it as a policy on new patients only moving forward?

All of those I've taken on were close to 100MED and I insisted on getting down to it. This wasn't so hard because the folks I chose were already close to it. The 400 & 500MEDs that I've been referred have all been 'precontemplative' about weaning. There are other guys in my area that prescribe these levels, and patients know it.

3-I would assume quite a few patients that agree to the wean start complaining of worsening pain in the process and in this legal day and age might consider suing for pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of function, etc. Of the patients that come to you on higher doses that agree to wean to 100 MED, do you have them sign a consent form, stating they agree to it and that there is some risk of worsening pain, worsening functional status, loss of work, etc?

BS, wean or go somewhere else. This isn't life-saving therapy I'm withholding. Four independent studies have now shown that the risks of ODD are dose related and the inflection point appears to be around 100-120MED. Conversely there is no data to show long-term benefit for CNP. Ergo, risks clearly outweigh the benefit for high dose opioids for CNP.

4-How many Pain docs that you know of are setting this as a policy? Is it a significant percentage, nationally?

I can't answer this. However, the Lazarus Project's & WA State's data are compelling. I think a variation of both will become standandard of care on the west coast where I practice.

5-Are there any Pain Societies making this as a statement or guideline (other than Washington State, I don't know of any, and correct me if I'm wrong, even with them it's a "guideline" not an absolute dose limit)?

Not to my knowledge. But I don't look to pain societies for guidance any more. I tend to follow the recommendations out of UW, the Lazarus Project, and the Addiction folks as I think they are far more ethical people than the pain societies.

6-You state under "most circumstances" you recommend wean to 100 MED, detox or 12 step. That's implies you have exceptions. If so, what are they?

One possible exception. The addiction folks I know and respect think the right thing for me to do is use my Suboxone waiver. I am not confident enough yet to do that but I will in the future. So the exception may be that I will refer some folks to a mandatory 12 step and
prescribe the Suboxone myself. This is probably the most ethical thing to do given that I work in rural areas and have knowledge that doesn't exist in those communities at present.

Interesting things are happening in addiction medicine now. There is a movement toward destigmatizing addiction and focusing instead upon harm reduction. I buy that and I think that pain medicine can learn from it. A lot of our patients behaviors make more sense when viewed from the addiction lens, rather than the chronic pain lens. If there were less stigma about 'addiction' probably a lot of our patients would self-select suboxone maintenace rather than continued risky opioid dosages.

7-Do you feel that having a 100 MED limit inhibits you from effectively treating people's pain as much as you could?

Not at all. Remember, we trained in, are living in, and practicing in an era when opioids were over sold to everyone: doctors, patients, pain societies, medical boards, etc. PHARMA influence, COI's, and just bad medicine got us here. I don't think any pills work very well for chronic pain. I tell patients that 30% pain relief with any intervention - including medication - is about all they can expect. I am trying to strike a balance, I still prescribe, but modest amounts, and I will insist upon other therapies as well.

http://prescribetoprevent.org/stockingpaying-for-naloxone-billing/

Inclusion criteria for patients who should receive overdose prevention education and a prescription for a naloxone rescue kit:

1. Received emergency medical care involving opioid intoxication or poisoning
2. Suspected history of substance abuse or nonmedical opioid use
3. Prescribed methadone or buprenorphine
4. Higher-dose (>50 mg morphine equivalent/day) opioid prescription
5. Receiving any opioid prescription for pain plus:
a. Rotated from one opioid to another because of possible incomplete cross tolerance
b. Smoking, COPD, emphysema, asthma, sleep apnea, respiratory infection, or other respiratory illness or potential obstruction.
c. Renal dysfunction, hepatic disease, cardiac illness, HIV/AIDS
d. Known or suspected concurrent alcohol use
e. Concurrent benzodiazepine or other sedative prescription
f. Concurrent antidepressant prescription
6. Patients who may have difficulty accessing emergency medical services (distance, remoteness)
7. Voluntary request from patient or caregiver

Bibliography
1.Dasgupta N, Sanford C, Albert S, Brason F. “Opioid Drug Overdoses: A Prescription for Harm and Potential for Prevention.” American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, Oct 2009; 4(1):32-37.
2.Leavitt S. “Intranasal Naloxone for At-Home Opioid Rescue.” Practical Pain Management, Oct 2010:42-46.
3.Wermeling D. “Opioid Harm Reduction Strategies: Focus on Expanded Access to Intranasal Naloxone.” Pharmacotherapy, Jul 2010; 30(7):627-63.

Members don't see this ad :)
[/COLOR]

Not at all. Remember, we trained in, are living in, and practicing in an era when opioids were over sold to everyone: doctors, patients, pain societies, medical boards, etc. PHARMA influence, COI's, and just bad medicine got us here. I don't think any pills work very well for chronic pain. I tell patients that 30% pain relief with any intervention - including medication - is about all they can expect. I am trying to strike a balance, I still prescribe, but modest amounts, and I will insist upon other therapies as well.

Thanks for the detailed response.

its a position paper.

im not sure there are any benefits for me, in pure pain management. if i have a patient that has an addiction, im not going to prescribe opioids and im going to have the patient seen by a substance abuse counsellor.

Same for me. Anyone with an addiction history past or present, is not a candidate for opioids

I don't trust our ability to tell the difference between a substance abuser and a chronic pain
patient. They look the same and often times their ORT scores are the same. Time will tell, but perhaps in that time we provided the exposure to facilitate the phenotype.

If you really want to know how well you can distinguish a substance a user vs a patient
with chronic pain - and no dual Dx- call a few addictiongists in your area and ask them.

If we haven't any trust in our skills to diagnose and differentiate between the two groups then we should not provide opioid prescribing to any patient, period.

I don't trust our ability to tell the difference between a substance abuser and a chronic pain
patient. They look the same and often times their ORT scores are the same. Time will tell, but perhaps in that time we provided the exposure to facilitate the phenotype.

If you really want to know how well you can distinguish a substance a user vs a patient
with chronic pain - and no dual Dx- call a few addictiongists in your area and ask them.

i dont trust yours. i worry about mine, but trust it enough to be willing to take a calculated risk from time to time and prescribe opioids.

there is a reason we do urines, ORT, DIRE, SOAPP, GPS, PMP, etc, and they sure arent foolproof. i have NCADD.org bookmarked on my computers.

we do the best we can. opioid therapy is optional, not mandatory, as you point out.

If we haven't any trust in our skills to diagnose and differentiate between the two groups then we should not provide opioid prescribing to any patient, period.

Agree, but surely you must have been burned at some point. Has a patient never lied to you, despite due diligence?

That's what we are talking about here. Nobody reads minds, and none of use have lie detector machines. Depite the toughest due diligence, some people will try to lie, manipulate and malinger. That's not an excuse for not practicing due diligence, it's just a very unfortunate reality.

Numerous studies have shown physician intuition to be less than 100% sensitive and specific. That's a fact.

I take the position that patients are lying until verification occurs. That is why I never accept records presented by patients and require all records from all controlled substance providers from the year prior to their referral to me. Secondly, I do not accept patients without physician referral. Thirdly, I prescreen the past medical records, PMP, and drug screens prior to scheduling an initial appointment. If there is smoke, there is fire, and I do not accept those with a prior substance abuse/diversion history. Substances abusers have a tendency to repeat their substance abuse over and over again, so screening by past medical record review is very useful. Fourthly, I do not rely on tacitly erroneous patient self assessment of drug abuse questionnaires. Any drug abuser/diverter will have enough knowledge to thwart the intent of the tool by simply fabricating responses. The only patients that show up positive are those that are addicted and crying for help or those that are too callous or naive to know the difference.

Verification continues after acceptance into my program through frequent follow ups (at a small fraction of the cost of most primary care and nearly all other pain physicians), urine or saliva toxicology testing, behavioral observation, pill counts, biannual or more often if there is suspicion PMP queries, assessment of pain level, functional capabilities, depression, anxiety, and responses to a variety of treatments.

I trust no patient completely and have been burned, but it is uncommon in my practice given the yearly signed opioid agreement with very clearly defined rules that are enforced 100% of the time.

If you have a narrow window for entry into your pain practice, do not advertise at all anywhere, are referral only directly from physicians (not a records transfer request, but an actual referral for pain control), are not financially dependent on doing unnecessary or borderline injections/SCS/RF/Pumps, and hold every patient in the practice equally accountable regardless of how long they have been in the practice, then the rate of addiction, substance abuse, and drug diversion will be very low. The risk of OD is also very low. But I realize my practice is a very mature practice that would not work in most situations. But it does work, and screens out substance abusers in an effective manner.

Members don't see this ad :)
I take the position that patients are lying until verification occurs. That is why I never accept records presented by patients and require all records from all controlled substance providers from the year prior to their referral to me. Secondly, I do not accept patients without physician referral. Thirdly, I prescreen the past medical records, PMP, and drug screens prior to scheduling an initial appointment. If there is smoke, there is fire, and I do not accept those with a prior substance abuse/diversion history. Substances abusers have a tendency to repeat their substance abuse over and over again, so screening by past medical record review is very useful. Fourthly, I do not rely on tacitly erroneous patient self assessment of drug abuse questionnaires. Any drug abuser/diverter will have enough knowledge to thwart the intent of the tool by simply fabricating responses. The only patients that show up positive are those that are addicted and crying for help or those that are too callous or naive to know the difference.

Verification continues after acceptance into my program through frequent follow ups (at a small fraction of the cost of most primary care and nearly all other pain physicians), urine or saliva toxicology testing, behavioral observation, pill counts, biannual or more often if there is suspicion PMP queries, assessment of pain level, functional capabilities, depression, anxiety, and responses to a variety of treatments.

I trust no patient completely and have been burned, but it is uncommon in my practice given the yearly signed opioid agreement with very clearly defined rules that are enforced 100% of the time.

If you have a narrow window for entry into your pain practice, do not advertise at all anywhere, are referral only directly from physicians (not a records transfer request, but an actual referral for pain control), are not financially dependent on doing unnecessary or borderline injections/SCS/RF/Pumps, and hold every patient in the practice equally accountable regardless of how long they have been in the practice, then the rate of addiction, substance abuse, and drug diversion will be very low. The risk of OD is also very low. But I realize my practice is a very mature practice that would not work in most situations. But it does work, and screens out substance abusers in an effective manner.

This is what I do also, with the addition of checking past arrest records on all new patients and prn. Anyone with a history of drug diversion or substance abuse/drug crimes is not an opiate candidate. Where I'm at, these records are public and online.

If law enforcement is serious about stopping diversion, they need to stop worrying about the private rights of past drug diverters and give us access to this info in all jurisdictions.

Otherwise a drug dealer who happens to have a bad back, could bail out of jail and walk right into a doctors office and the doctor has no way of ever knowing. He can take 1/2 of a pill the morning of the appointment and a UDS will show meds.

We need to demand access.

Last edited:
In our state, we can access online those that have served time in prison but apparently not jail. It takes around 10 seconds to check.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23915328

Pain Med. 2013 Aug 5. doi: 10.1111/pme.12201. [Epub ahead of print]
Opioid Use 12 Months Following Interdisciplinary Pain Rehabilitation with Weaning.
Huffman KL, Sweis GW, Gase A, Scheman J, Covington EC.
Source
Cleveland Clinic Neurological Center for Pain, Cleveland, Ohio; Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
To examine the frequency of and factors predicting opioid resumption among patients with chronic non-cancer pain (CNCP) and therapeutic opioid addiction (TOA) treated in an interdisciplinary chronic pain rehabilitation program (CPRP) incorporating opioid weaning.
DESIGN:
Longitudinal retrospective treatment outcome study. Only those with addiction were counseled to avoid opioids for non-acute pain.
SETTING:
Large academic medical center.
PARTICIPANTS:
One hundred twenty patients, 32.5% with TOA. Participants were predominately married (77.5%), females (66.7%). Mean age was 49.5 (±13.7). 29.2% had lifetime histories of non-opioid substance use disorders.
METHODS:
TOA was diagnosed using consensus definitions developed by American Academy of Pain Medicine, American Pain Society and American Society of Addiction Medicine to supplement Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition, text revision (DSM-IV-TR) criteria. Non-opioid substance use disorders were diagnosed using DSM-IV-TR. Data, including pain severity, depression and anxiety, were collected at admission, discharge and 12 months. Opioid use during treatment was based on medical records and use at 12 months was based on self-report.
RESULTS:
Only 22.5% reported resuming use at 12 months. Neither patients with TOA nor patients with non-opioid substance use disorders were more likely to resume use than those without substance use disorders. Only posttreatment depression increased the probability of resumption.
CONCLUSIONS:
CNCP and co-occurring TOA can be successfully treated within a CPRP. Patients report low rates of resumption regardless of addiction status. This is in marked contrast to reported outcomes of non-medically induced opioid addictions. Prolonged abstinence may depend upon the successful treatment of depression.
Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

In our state, we can access online those that have served time in prison but apparently not jail. It takes around 10 seconds to check.

That's not very helpful or adequate. Most drug possessions, diversion of small quantities, drug paraphernalia arrests, DUIs, drunk/disorderly conduct, or schedule 1 possession/distribution will not land someone in "prison" but instead a few days in jail, probation, community service or something less severe.

http://journals.lww.com/em-news/Ful...xymorphone___Opioid_Abuse_Flying_Under.4.aspx

Oxymorphone has a unique relationship to ethanol, unlike other opioids, and this pharmacologic quirk is not well known to clinicians. Taken with alcohol, the extended-release formulation will exhibit up to an amazing 100 percent increase in blood levels.

Neat stuff but unsure how accurate. I think all LAO had to submit data on etoh plus drug in 2005-06 after the Pallidone mistakes. If what this guy is saying is true...opana would be recalled overnight.

How many pain fellowships teach this critical skill: how to save a life with naloxone.

Interesting how pain medicine gives lots of print to TRT, Constipation, and Pharmacogenics, but neglects how to save a patient's life with naloxone.

This will be the new standard of care, it's more important than treating our patient's constipation, low T, or rapid metabolism: http://www.prescribetoprevent.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/one-pager_12.pdf

Completely agree. I am working with police here to equip them with narcan and have done so for several high risk patients.

Since we can't seem to police ourselves, we are being policed.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1308222

Abusive Prescribing of Controlled Substances — A Pharmacy View
Mitch Betses, R.Ph., and Troyen Brennan, M.D., M.P.H
August 21, 2013DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp1308222

ArticleReferences
Public health advocates are increasingly focused on illness and deaths caused by inappropriate use of controlled substances — in particular, opioid analgesics. Opioid prescriptions have increased dramatically, by more than 300% between 1999 and 2010.1 This increase has led to substantial iatrogenic disease. Most strikingly, the number of deaths due to overdose in the United States increased from 4000 in 1999 to 16,600 in 2010.2 Indeed, overdose is now the second-leading cause of accidental death in this country, where more than 2.4 million people were considered opioid abusers in 2010.3
The causes of increases in prescriptions and the prevalence of abuse are manifold. In the mid-1990s, advocates for treatment of chronic pain began arguing that pain was largely undertreated and appropriately exhorted clinicians to be more liberal in their treatment. In addition, a number of new formulations of opioid agents became available, with purported advantages in analgesia.
But perhaps just as important, inappropriate prescribing has grown. The worst form of such prescribing occurs in so-called pill mills, wherein fully licensed physicians with valid Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) numbers write prescriptions that provide large quantities of powerful analgesics to individual patients. Such bogus pain clinics cater to younger patients, operate on a cash basis, and draw clients from a broad geographic area. States and the DEA have attempted to curb pill-mill activities — the best example being Florida's closure of 254 “pain clinics” — but the efficacy of such regulation is unclear.4
Pharmacies have a role to play in the oversight of prescriptions for controlled substances, and opioid analgesics in particular. Under the Controlled Substances Act, pharmacists must evaluate patients to ensure the appropriateness of any controlled-substance prescription. In addition, state boards of pharmacy regulate the distribution of opioid analgesics and other controlled substances through the discretion of pharmacists. Yet in the majority of cases of potential abuse, pharmacists face a patient who has a legal prescription from a licensed physician, and they have access to very little other background information. That makes it difficult for individual pharmacists to use their own partially informed judgment to identify prescriptions that have come from a pill-mill doctor.
Chain pharmacies, however, have the advantage of aggregated information on all prescriptions filled at the chain. At CVS, we recently instituted a program of analysis and actions to limit inappropriate prescribing. Our program was intended to identify and take action against physicians and other prescribers who exhibited extreme patterns of use of “high-risk drugs” relative to other prescribers. We aimed to minimize the potential for falsely identifying legitimate prescribers (false positives), accepting that doing so might result in a failure to identify some suspicious prescribers.
We identified high-risk prescribers by benchmarking them against others on several parameters. We used data from submitted prescriptions from March 2010 through January 2012 for hydrocodone, oxycodone, alprazolam, methadone, and carisoprodol. Prescribers were compared with others in the same geographic region who had the same listed specialty. The first parameters were the volume of prescriptions for high-risk drugs and the proportion of the prescriber's prescriptions that were for such drugs, as compared with the volume and proportion for others in the same specialty and region; the thresholds for suspicion were set at the 98th percentile for volume and the 95th percentile for proportion. Next, prescribers were evaluated with regard to the number of their patients who paid cash for high-risk–drug prescriptions and the percentage of their patients receiving high-risk drugs who were 18 to 35 years of age. In both cases, the thresholds for suspicion were set at the 90th percentile among clinicians in the same region and specialty. Finally, we compared the prescriptions for noncontrolled substances with the prescriptions for controlled substances within the prescriber's practice on the same parameters. To minimize the possibility that we would suspend dispensing privileges for clinicians who were appropriately treating patients, we attempted to interview physicians whom we'd identified as outliers to ascertain the nature of their practice and their use of controlled substances.
We initially identified 42 outliers from our database of nearly 1 million prescribers; 17 of the 42 failed to respond to our three letters requesting an interview, despite our indication in the second and third letters that we would stop filling the clinician's controlled-substance prescriptions if he or she would not speak with us. Eight prescribers sent a written response, and one response was sufficiently detailed to convince us that the prescribing was appropriate. The other seven responses were inadequate, and the prescribers refused to engage in a telephone discussion. Two prescribers retained an attorney, and future conversation occurred through legal channels. We considered these 26 clinicians nonresponsive.
The remaining 15 were contacted by phone, and 5 gave us legitimate reasons why their practice had the identified characteristics — in particular, that each was the only practitioner in a given geographic area caring for patients with chronic pain. The remaining 10 either maintained that their approach was legitimate but that they didn't have to explain why or averred that they planned to curb their prescribing of narcotics. For all 10 of these clinicians, we decided not to fill their controlled-substance prescriptions through our pharmacy. The same approach was taken for the 26 nonresponsive clinicians. Surprisingly, now 9 months after we stopped filling controlled-substance prescriptions for these clinicians' patients, we've had contact from only 3 of them requesting reinstatement in our pharmacy chain. The table provides details on the 42 outliers' practices, as compared with those of the average prescriber in our database. There was no clear regional concentration of outliers.
Our program is certainly not a comprehensive solution, but it provides some sense of the kind of inappropriate prescribing that is going on in our health care system. We believe that some of these clinicians may be part of pill mills, doing cursory examinations in high volumes of patients, all of whom then receive opioid analgesics. People seeking to abuse these medications will travel long distances to obtain them and often deal in cash only. These patients are generally younger than the average patient with chronic disease. A comprehensive solution would involve the use of a national prescription-drug–monitoring database that would be used by clinicians at the point of prescribing and by all pharmacies at the point of dispensing. This enhanced view of a patient's controlled-substance history and behaviors would support both prescribers and pharmacists in applying their professional judgment regarding the appropriateness of dispensing a controlled substance.
As we noted, pharmacists have an ethical duty, backed by both federal and state law, to ensure that a prescription for a controlled substance is appropriate. A young person traveling a good distance to fill a prescription and paying cash should raise some concerns for a pharmacist. If the prescription is valid, the pharmacist might have limited grounds on which to deny medication to someone who might be in pain. Yet the DEA has now identified both pharmaceutical distributors and chain pharmacies as part of the problem,5 encouraging our industry to develop new programs to reduce inappropriate use.
Our findings provide a lens into the problem we face as a country. Programs providing greater transparency regarding controlled-substance prescribing, such as mandatory use of e-prescribing for all controlled substances and a national, uniform program of prescription-drug monitoring, would help pharmacists and clinicians target interventions more accurately to help patients who are abusing medications. Some state solutions, such as the Massachusetts database that allows clinicians to look up their own patients' prescriptions, also have merit. Analyses of aggregated data like ours can also target patterns of abuse by both prescribers and patients. Given the growing use of controlled substances and the resulting illness and deaths, more innovative use of transparent data is only prudent.

How about they list the 42 providers names and addresses.

Then the rest of the folks here will not see the patients who are "above average" in their opiate needs.

Or the prescribers will be shamed or administratively dealt with.

How about they list the 42 providers names and addresses.

Then the rest of the folks here will not see the patients who are "above average" in their opiate needs.

Or the prescribers will be shamed or administratively dealt with.

or there will be a huge flock of "patients" going to these 42 prescribers as the next available pill mill :oops:

Reactions: 1 user
Recent talk by JB on the legal side of prescribing. 1hr, worth listening to.
Her go to expert - mentioned repeatedly - is Jane Ballantyne.

http://vimeo.com/71026538

Last edited:
http://www.slssdp.org/goodsam/Utah next-of-kin on OD deaths - Johnson 2012.pdf

CONCLUSIONS: The large majority of decedents were prescribed opioids for management of chronic pain and many exhibited behaviors indicative of prescribed medication misuse. Financial problems, unemployment,physical disability, depression, and substance use
(including illegal drugs) were also common.

Which reminds me of these prophetic words by Portenoy:

"Half of pain patients would have to stop taking their medicine if the rule went out that every so-called red-flag behavior meant you couldn't prescribe,"

Sounds about right.

Last edited:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...22281a-1a30-11e3-a628-7e6dde8f889d_story.html

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday announced that it would put in place broad new labeling requirements for certain narcotic painkillers, known as opioids, which have become among the most widely used drugs in America but also have been linked to an ongoing epidemic of addiction.

The agency said the labeling changes would apply to all extended-release and long-acting opioid painkillers. The most widely used, long-acting opioids include oxycodone, which is used in OxyContin and similar painkillers.

40 years after the last Apollo mission, a robot spacecraft will investigate an odd pre-sunrise glow.
“The FDA is invoking its authority to require safety labeling changes and postmarket studies to combat the crisis of misuse, abuse, addiction, overdose, and death from these potent drugs that have harmed too many patients and devastated too many families and communities,” FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg said in a statement. “Today’s action demonstrates the FDA’s resolve to reduce the serious risks of long-acting and extended release opioids while still seeking to preserve appropriate access for those patients who rely on these medications to manage their pain.”

The agency said that the new labeling language will indicate that the drugs are intended for the management of pain “severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term opioid treatment and for which alternative treatment options are inadequate.”

In addition, it will make clear that because of the risks of addiction, abuse and misuse — even for patients who use the drug as directed — opioids should be used only for people for whom other treatments aren’t sufficient.

“These labeling changes describe more clearly the risks and safety concerns associated with ER/LA opioids and will encourage better, more appropriate, prescribing, monitoring and patient counseling practices involving these drugs,” Douglas Throckmorton, deputy director for regulatory programs in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, said in a statement.

For years, doctors typically prescribed opioids only to patients in acute pain, such as cancer patients.

But over the past decade or longer, thanks in part to research generated by drug manufacturers and pain specialists, the prescription and use of narcotic painkillers has skyrocketed, promoted by doctors and drug companies for long-term treatment of everything from back pain to arthritis.

With that increased use has come an epidemic of addiction to the powerful painkillers. A 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that roughly 2 million Americans were hooked on or abusing prescription pain relievers, numbers that eclipsed those for cocaine or heroin.

In a report earlier this year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention noted that while deaths from drug overdoses had increased steadily in the decade ending in 2010, deaths attributable to opioid pain relievers increased fivefold for women between 1999 and 2010, and 3.6 times for men.

The agency noted that in 2010, enough opioid pain relievers were sold to medicate every adult in the United States with the typical dose of 5 mg of hydrocodone every four hours for a month. That represented a 300 percent increase from barely a decade earlier.

In 2012, a group of dozens of doctors and health officials implored the FDA to revisit its labeling requirements and advice on when doctors should prescribe the drugs.

The FDA said Tuesday it also intends to require drug companies to conduct more studies and clinical trials to further assess the risks of opioid painkillers. The agency also will require a new boxed warning on the drugs cautioning that chronic maternal use during pregnancy could result in neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome (NOWS), a life-threatening condition.

Understandable, but what the heck does the Apollo landing and a pre-sunrise glow have to do with opioid labeling???

edit: paragraph 3:
40 years after the last Apollo mission, a robot spacecraft will investigate an odd pre-sunrise glow.

Last edited:
Understandable, but what the heck does the Apollo landing and a pre-sunrise glow have to do with opioid labeling???

edit: paragraph 3:

I'm confident that that is because the article was a cut and paste, and that line was a link in the original article (which, when c/p'd, is changed to the default typeface).

http://www.drugfree.org/join-togeth...ives-to-long-term-opioid-use-for-chronic-pain

Alternatives to Long-Term Opioid Use for Chronic Pain

Barry Meier- The New York Times Reporter
In the second of a two-part series, Join Together speaks with Barry Meier, New York Times reporter and author of the new e-book, “A World of Hurt: Fixing Pain Medicine’s Biggest Mistake,” about the alternatives to long-term opioid use for treating pain.

What is and isn’t known about long-term use of opioids?

Barry Meier: One would expect that 15 years after powerful opioids began to be regularly used to treat chronic pain that this would be a relatively easy question to answer. Unfortunately, it is not, a fact that reflects both the difficulty in running clinical trials involving these drugs and the reality of what happens when medical practice runs ahead of science.

One of the principal characters in A World of Hurt is Dr. Jane Ballantyne, who was among the first pain specialists to raise a red flag about the long-term use of opioids. In 2003, Ballantyne, who was then working at Massachusetts General, started to get concerned about how patients were reacting to the drugs. She did some research and published a paper in The New England Journal of Medicine warning about serious side effects from the drugs, particularly when they were taken at high doses. She was largely ignored, but since then a number of studies have pointed to a wide range of side-effects from long-term opioid use.

How effective are opioids in treatment of long-term pain?

Barry Meier: Effectiveness in pain treatment is usually measured in two factors, reduction in pain and an improvement in physical function (i.e.; a patient can do more physically). And opioids can be very effective in the treatment of chronic pain.
But the big question – and it is a really big one – is how many patients benefit from long-term opioid use. The question exists because there is a dearth of data on long-term outcomes. However, several experts that I have interviewed put the number of patients who benefit at about 30 percent. The big problem is that another large group of patients – some studies put the number as high as 20 percent – may start abusing the drugs or develop other serious side effects.

What are the consequences for patients of long-term opioid use?

Barry Meier: Experts believe that patients fare best when opioids are used at low or moderate doses and when patients are monitored closely to make sure they are still benefiting from the drugs in terms of pain relief and physical function.
If a patient is not managed well there can serious consequences. And such problems often occur because well-meaning doctors, eager to make patients more comfortable, repeatedly increase a drug’s dose, inadvertently increasing risk. Several studies, for example, have shown a direct link between dose and overdose risk. And while fatal overdoses have dominated the public discussion about these drugs, their use, particularly at high doses, can have other significant health consequences as well. Studies have linked the drugs to severe psychological dependency, decreased hormone production, severe lethargy, sleep apnea and falls and fractures in the elderly. As dose increases, pain patients also become susceptible to a condition known as hyperalgesia, in which they feel more, not less pain.

What is the effect of long-term opioid use on worker disability rates?

Barry Meier: It appears to be pretty startling. A 2008 study by the California Workers Compensation Institute found that workers who received high doses of opioid painkillers to treat problems like back injuries stayed out of work three times longer than those with similar injuries who took lower doses. One insurer found that when medical care and disability payments are combined, the cost of a workplace injury is nine times higher when a strong narcotic like OxyContin is used than when a narcotic is not used.
Such findings are shaking up views of opioids because their use was driven by the belief that the drugs, by reducing pain, would help patients become physically active more quickly. However, such studies and others suggest that high opioid doses do not promote improved physical function and may impede it.

Is there a movement back toward a multidisciplinary approach to treating chronic pain? What could the advantages of this approach be?

Barry Meier: One of the reasons that I wrote A World of Hurt was to try to help stimulate a public discussion about alternatives to opioids. It was not to bash these drugs because they do play a valuable role. But the experience of the past decade has proven two things: The first is that opioids are not the cure-all that drug companies and their advocates claimed. The second thing is that patients, the public and doctors need to expand the conversation about pain treatment beyond how the drug industry has sought to define it.
In recent years, major studies involving the “multidisciplinary” approach were conducted by the Mayo Clinic (http://1.usa.gov/12bWYX3) and by the Veterans Administration (http://1.usa.gov/19TV4UJ). Both studies found that patients who were weaned off opioids and underwent such programs (which are now outpatient rather than inpatient) achieve significant gains both in pain reduction and in physical function.

Such programs also are not cure-all because they may not work for all patients. But these results suggest that non-pharmaceutical approaches to chronic pain can play a critical role. Also, while the programs do cost more in the short-run, their benefits both in terms of long-term savings and reductions in other opioid-related costs and problems such as abuse and addiction could prove enormous. Recently, I wrote an article in The New York Times that looked at this issue found here.

Barry Meier, a reporter for The New York Times, writes about the intersection of business, medicine and the public’s health. Mr. Meier is the author of an e-book, “A World of Hurt: Fixing Pain Medicine’s Biggest Mistake” (The New York Times, 2013), and Pain Killer: A “Wonder” Drug’s Trail of Addiction and Death (Rodale, 2003), recently made available as an e-book. Visit his website at www.barrymeier.com.
Read Part 1 of his interview here.

The thread title was "...in a nutshell"

We are way beyond fitting all 101's posts in one measly nutshell. I think we'd need an aircraft carrier to house them all at this point.

101n, please change thread title to

"Prescription opiod epidemic in incredibly large and growing storage vessel"