The PUBLIC'S opinion of DDS vs DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentchick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
True story: I have worked as an assistant for quite a long time now. The other day a woman said that she chose my Dr. over another one was because he has a DMD and the other had a DDS. Out of curiosity I asked her why she thought one was better. Her reply: I just want to go to a dentist that can write me a RX!!! I was just dying! The reason I was dying is because this was the THIRD time I have heard this. Wow! I can't believe this isn't made more clear out there in the public. Oh well. I am just glad I will have a DMD;) .

Members don't see this ad.

How funny! Although, I believe in general public, more people are aware what a DDS is than a DMD. I'm proud to be a DMD!

Remember, DMD can and are more capable of doing more than a DDS. DDS aren't even real dentists!

:laugh:

Strictly speaking, DMD refers to a dental program incorporated with medical curriculum. Some schools adopt DMD even though there is no or just a little incorporation. Others continue with DDS, even though their dental programs are indeed extensively combined with the medical program.

So, basically, DDS and DMD are different, but since some schools misuse the terminology, they're the same thing.

They're just terms. It's a personal preference. I like DDS more, because it has the word "Surgery". :p

If you go to dental schools in UK, there is no such a thing as DMD or DDS for undergrad dentists. They call it something else. Again, it's a personal preference.

I think DMD appears because some people think that by combining dental and medical programs together, dental students will spend less time in dental techniques and more time in medical theory, leading to inferior competency. In order to track those students, DMD is created to "tag" that category.

Members don't see this ad :)
ummm.... nice of you to share your daydreams with us, BW. But that is not even close. ;)

Originally posted by the big wand
Strictly speaking, DMD refers to a dental program incorporated with medical curriculum. Some schools adopt DMD even though there is no or just a little incorporation. Others continue with DDS, even though their dental programs are indeed extensively combined with the medical program.

So, basically, DDS and DMD are different, but since some schools misuse the terminology, they're the same thing.

They're just terms. It's a personal preference. I like DDS more, because it has the word "Surgery". :p

If you go to dental schools in UK, there is no such a thing as DMD or DDS for undergrad dentists. They call it something else. Again, it's a personal preference.

I think DMD appears because some people think that by combining dental and medical programs together, dental students will spend less time in dental techniques and more time in medical theory, leading to inferior competency. In order to track those students, DMD is created to "tag" that category.
Nice story, but completely wrong. The DDS/DMD thing has been beaten to death; just do a search.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
I have a 3.8 and 25 on my DAT. Do I have a chance, or should I apply in two years?
I'm not sure you're a qualified applicant, Gavin. After all, you're trying for the degree that lets you write for drugs. You should go for a DDS like me, so we can just pull teeth with needlenose pliers all day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ItsGavinC
I have a 3.8 and 25 on my DAT. Do I have a chance, or should I apply in two years?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure you're a qualified applicant, Gavin. After all, you're trying for the degree that lets you write for drugs. You should go for a DDS like me, so we can just pull teeth with needlenose pliers all day.

:laugh:

Originally posted by aphistis
Nice story, but completely wrong. The DDS/DMD thing has been beaten to death; just do a search.

Yes, it has. But I do not recall any of them having to do with the public and statements they have made. I am sure they are out there, but I just wanted to share a situation I was in. This "do a search" stuff is just totally unnecessary! It's not the end of the world if someone posts something twice. Geesh!

Nobody was criticising (sp?) your post, predentchick. It's an interesting topic. ;) What Bill and I were responding to was the giant whopper The Big Wand was feeding us.

Originally posted by Dr.SpongeBobDDS
Nobody was criticising (sp?) your post, predentchick. It's an interesting topic. ;) What Bill and I were responding to was the giant whopper The Big Wand was feeding us.
Correct as usual, Dr. Bob. :D

Oh. I see. Sorry. I was really confused about this one!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD vs DDS.

If my reasoning is wrong, what else will that be? My common sense tells me it's simply a tracking/labeling device to differentiate these two groups. Originally all dental schools give DDS, but some schools feel that they need to emphasize medical aspect of dentistry and thus change their programs and award the DMD degree. Over time some schools decide to adopt both approaches (one approach in certain areas and the other in the remaining), and this is where the confusion kicks in.

If this isn't simple enough, then could anyone write a big essay to explain these terms? Enlighten me.

Originally posted by the big wand
DMD vs DDS.

If my reasoning is wrong, what else will that be? My common sense tells me it's simply a tracking/labeling device to differentiate these two groups. Originally all dental schools give DDS, but some schools feel that they need to emphasize medical aspect of dentistry and thus change their programs and award the DMD degree. Over time some schools decide to adopt both approaches (one approach in certain areas and the other in the remaining), and this is where the confusion kicks in.

If this isn't simple enough, then could anyone write a big essay to explain these terms? Enlighten me.
Your reasoning *is* wrong. Sorry, but there's no way around it. Read the pre-dent board FAQ.

"D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree? "
Many people, including dentists, share your confusion over the use of the D.D.S. and D.M.D. degrees. Today, some dental schools grant a D.D.S. degree and others prefer to award the D.M.D. degree instead. The training the dentists receive is very similar but the degree granted is different. Here are the details:
Ancient medicine was divided into two groups:

the surgery group that dealt with treating diseases and injuries using instruments; and

the medicine group that dealt with healing diseases using internal remedies. Originally there was only the D.D.S. degree which stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery.
This all changed in 1867 when Harvard University, added a dental school. Harvard University only grants degrees in Latin. Harvard did not adopt the D.D.S. or "Doctor of Dental Surgery" degree because the Latin translation was "Chirurgae Dentium Doctoris" or C.D.D. The people at Harvard thought that C.D.D. was cumbersome. A Latin scholar was consulted. The scholar suggested the ancient "Medicinae Doctor" be prefixed with "Dentariae". This is how the D.M.D. or "Dentariae Medicinae Doctor" degree was started. (Congratulations! Now you probably know more Latin than most dentists!)

At the turn of the century, there were 57 dental schools in the U.S. but only Harvard and Oregon awarded the D.M.D. In 1989, 23 of the 66 North American dental schools awarded the D.M.D. I think about half the Canadian dental schools now award the D.M.D. degree.

The American Dental Association (A.D.A.) is aware of the public confusion surrounding these degrees. The A.D.A. has tried on several occasions to reduce this confusion. Several sample proposals include:

eliminate the D.M.D. degree;
eliminate the D.D.S. degree; or
eliminate both degrees and invent a brand new degree that every dental school will agree to use.
Unfortunately, this confusion may be with us for a long time. When emotional factors like "school pride" and "tradition" arise, it is difficult to find a compromise." -Dr. Kim Loos

So to sum up: it has nothing to do with curriculum or training and everything to do with the fact that Harvard was too snooty to offer a degree in English.

:D

For those of you going to the National ASDA meeting in New Orleans in August, this sounds like ASDA resolution material to me. If anyone is gung-ho enough to write a resolution, think about it when they mail you the materials on how to do it, or look up on the website how to write one b/c any member of ASDA can submit a resolution to be debated at the House of Delegates at the national meeting.

It doesn't mean it'll change anything, it would just be a very interesting discussion to see what dental students all across the country would think of proposing to eliminate one of the degrees or merge the current two. Ultimately, ASDA would be forced to come to a position on this issue, and I don't think there is a current one.

I think it's a pretty pertinent issue to bring up since Case just switched degrees and Arizona decided to go DMD rather than DDS.

Here are some examples of resolutions debated and voted upon in the 2003 House of Delegates.

http://www.asdanet.org/about/house/resolutionslist.asp

So, do we have any takers? More than one student can sponsor a resolution, and they can be from different dental schools too.

Hmmm....when i get some free time I might tackle this

I do not care if I am DDS or DMD. As long as you call me dentist I will be fine.

As a little side note:

Friday I was in an office assisting with a 6 maxillary implant procedure and when we were done this lady said " Oh my son is a real doctor" and the dentist replied "yeah I forgot we were the fake ones" I laughed my a$$ off!

DDS or DMD we will still be fake doctors so who cares about the title :laugh:

This question has been asked a thousand times during my interviews. All the deans said DMD and DDS are equal degrees, and they don't have any difference. DDS can do all DMD can, and DMD can't do anything that DDS can't.

Yes, we all know that. The purpose of this thread was to see who had experiences with THE PUBLIC not knowing the difference. WE KNOW ALREADY!:sleep:

That's great, in four years

Dr. Woodsy, Didn't Do ****. hahaha I like that.

I once had a 5 year old boy in the chair who asked me what the DMD behind my name meant, and my reply was Doctor of Men's Dentistry:D He then asked if that meant if I couldn't see his mom or his sister:laugh: The things kids say from time to time, absolutely priceless:clap:

Originally posted by DrJeff
I once had a 5 year old boy in the chair who asked me what the DMD behind my name meant, and my reply was Doctor of Men's Dentistry:D He then asked if that meant if I couldn't see his mom or his sister:laugh: The things kids say from time to time, absolutely priceless:clap:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Whatever happened to the attempted FAQ? Gavin??