The real meaning behind "strongly recommended"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I currently have 20 schools I am thinking of applying to. 12 of them either do not require the subject test and 2 do not mention it at all. Of the remaining 6, they "strongly recommend" taking it. Would it be worth it to take it if it's only recommended, especially for only 6 schools? I majored in psychology with a 4.0 psychology GPA and 2 years of experience in clinical labs. I will also be completing an honors thesis. I understand that a good score can only help me, but there are also downsides to taking it such as preparation and studying/traveling (it's offered 1.5 hours away from me)/and cost is a big one too. **My #1 school of choice is ASU, so anything specific to that is also helpful in terms of what they would want for the subject test!!**

Amanda

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.

I currently have 20 schools I am thinking of applying to. 12 of them either do not require the subject test and 2 do not mention it at all. Of the remaining 6, they "strongly recommend" taking it. Would it be worth it to take it if it's only recommended, especially for only 6 schools? I majored in psychology with a 4.0 psychology GPA and 2 years of experience in clinical labs. I will also be completing an honors thesis. I understand that a good score can only help me, but there are also downsides to taking it such as preparation and studying/traveling (it's offered 1.5 hours away from me)/and cost is a big one too. **My #1 school of choice is ASU, so anything specific to that is also helpful in terms of what they would want for the subject test!!**

Amanda

I'd say go ahead and take it. If you are a psych major, you should do well with very minimal or no studying. I took it without having taken either cognitive or social psych and without studying and still got a good score (750, IIRC).

When schools say it isn't required, does that mean they don't want you to send the scores at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
It means required unless you have already been told you are a shoe in from undergrad

Reactions: 1 user
It is worth taking if those last 6 programs recommend it. They basically mean that it is required, and during the application process it's better to be safe than sorry.

Okay you have convinced me to take it. I just have 2 questions, October 24th is the only available date. Is that too late to take it when applications are due December 1st? It says it takes 6 weeks...that would be December 5th. I don't want to waste my money if they aren't going to re-review my application just to see scores that come in later. Also, if a school says "subject test is not required" do I send them my score anyway? ASU says it is not required but if I do really well and send it to them, is that something they would look at?

Thanks for all of your help!

Question 1: If all the deadlines for the 6 schools that strongly recommend it are December 1st, then you may be out of luck. But this depends on how badly you want to get in and if you're willing to fork the cash for the chance. Some schools need a week or two after the deadline to even compile the last minute swarm of application materials (they won't tell you this). If they receive the scores a week late, but saw you took it on the last day the exam is held nationally, then they may budge too. I'd email admissions to gauge how they'd handle it, or select to send scores to only the schools that can get it in 6 weeks.

Question 2: I would not send it to schools that do not explicitly ask for it. You'd waste more money and even if you do well. For these schools, your GPA and research experience carry all they need to know about your understanding of the field.

Thanks! I wish there was a quick way to find out if schools accept some test scores a week or so late. The seats for the subject test are selling out FAST.

My only idea about sending schools my score that don't ask for it is if I did exceptionally well and thought it would help me get a boost. I just wasn't sure if they would look at them at all.

My only idea about sending schools my score that don't ask for it is if I did exceptionally well and thought it would help me get a boost. I just wasn't sure if they would look at them at all.
IMO, its sadly unlikely that will help. It would be common sense for them to be flexible enough to see that you did exceptionally well at something they didnt ask of you. Sadly, my experience is contrary to that- and doing well on the Psych GRE when they didnt ask for it is akin to getting an A in a physics class- nice, but we dont care. A number of schools even have a "formula" (even if they tell you they dont, they might) that they use to pre-rank people before interviews. I was told my school did not do that, then when I was a grad student there and on the other side, lo and behold, I saw exactly how the system worked. Pre-Rank. Interview. Re-rank with factors in from pre-ranking. Match with labs, make offers. Top 6ish get offers, go from there.

If I have no intention to take the subject test, should I just cross schools off my list now that recommend it even for psychology majors?

Q1: I would just take it then. Sometimes materials come late outside of your control and a lot of programs review materials a little later than the deadline. I don't think a couple days is a big deal and most likely it will come on time.

Q2: They automatically send all your GRE scores so when you send your regular GRE to the other schools they will send the subject one too. But keep in mind you get to send a few scores free when you take it (I forget how many). So try to do it strategically - send to programs that don't want the subject test when you take the regular GRE, then send the ones that DO want it with your subject test and they will receive your regular scores at the same time. I did this a couple years ago so may want to double check with ETS but I remember being really annoyed because I didn't plan ahead my sending of scores and ending up wasting money :p

Thanks! I wish there was a quick way to find out if schools accept some test scores a week or so late. The seats for the subject test are selling out FAST.

Email the programs and ask about the Oct. 24 date!