The Real Rush Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triple AAA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting this thread to expose Rush University for what it truly is. There has been much talk over the years about how Rush is a 'malignant' program, without any elaboration or rationale. For the sake of full disclosure, I have been gone from Rush for several years, but still recent enough to remember the last gory details. I absolutely could not stand my residency. With that said, I am making an effort to be as objective as possible. Therefore, you will not hear me complain about 'mean attendings', 'long hours', or anything else that would be inherent to the majority of residency programs. Without further ado, an insider look as to why Rush is a malignant program:

1. The System. Unbeknownst to many, the Rush Anesthesia group is a private group. Ie, the majority of attendings that enroll haven't the slightest interest in teaching to begin with. The group is extremely profitable, given the daily volume of cases, and yet the attendings are paid disproportionately low salaries (private practice workload, academic salary). This results in a particularly embittered attending staff, bitterness which then gets transmitted to the residents in the form of berating, yelling, condescension, etc. This, of course, then transmitted to senior residence in the way they treated their junior residents. Many problems that could easily be solved by group funds continue to go unresolved, showing a perceived lack of care on the part of the owners. This leads to low morale all around.

2. The Scheduler. The OR scheduler is an out of practice CRNA who is terrible at their job. This person confuses people with similar sounding names, and often places CA-1s in CA-3 level cases. They approve vacation days and then schedule residents to do open hearts on those days. They assign people who are scheduled to be off-site to come to Rush without any prior notification. They would announce to us that we were placed on call 'last minute' the moment we walked in. All this person does is create chaos, and yet they refuse to have an assistant, and their wishes somehow are granted due to unknown political power. At one point, several attendings threatened to resign unless this person was also relieved. That person is still at Rush, in case you're wondering how that went...

3. The Techs. These people are not only short staffed, but completely useless. Our rooms were almost never stocked in the mornings, even though there was supposedly someone there 24 hours/day. When I come in to work in the morning, the last thing I want to worry about is having to stock a room with 10 cc syringes. To make matters worse, they come into our rooms between cases and throw out our clean supplies, leaving us to re-set up our rooms between turnover. Good luck to anybody who happens to have a lazy attending that does nothing to help with the turnover process (other than yelling at us for being 'too slow', of course...)

4. The 'PD'. I made a promise that I would not complain about attendings, and I stand by that. If this were an issue of any other terrible attending, it would be ok. But it's not any attending, it's our PD. Our PD was the department chair, who was a legitimately good person. Unfortunately, due to administrative constraints, the PD spent very little time actually directing us. Instead, we were primarily under the direction of a different attending, one whose name sends chills down my spine to this day. This person was the definition of narcissistic personality disorder. Arrogant, condescending, childish, and completely unapproachable. Aside from overseeing our education, the job of the PD is to be able to serve as a conduit between residents and attendings, to be an advocate and voice concerns. This person only called us to their office to yell at us about 'bad' test scores. They would hold case conferences and yell at/mock the person presenting, and then they would wonder why nobody would want to present cases in the morning. They would hold periodic meetings for the residents to voice concerns, and then shout us down when we would voice concerns as if we had the stupidest ideas out there. They would throw temper tantrums like a child whenever they didn't get their way. They thought they had the best ideas in the world, and then would wonder why morale was low. This is not the type of person who should be in charge of resident education.

5. The coordinator. The original coordinator was very good. However, some time after I left, I heard a new coordinator took over, one who is completely disorganized. They do not notify anybody about anything important (exams included), until literally a day before the test, after some people have approved vacations and other plans. In fact, I heard from a friend that they completely forgot to schedule an exam one year so that none of the residents could take it.

6. Interview dinners. There was a time when I used to enjoy meeting candidates and hyping up the program. Eventually, I could no longer look anybody in the eye and honestly tell them that they would be happy here. Everybody talked this program up, saying how we were 'well trained' and all this other BS, even though they never stopped complaining about the program after the candidates left. Even though they were advertised as 'relaxed' social gatherings with the opportunity to ask questions, we were secretly asked to pick a candidate or 2 and fill out an evaluation without them knowing. Shady.

I admit, several things may have changed since I left. There is a new PD now. There is a new hospital that has opened. Some new attendings have come in. I'm not sure how different things are, but from what I hear, most residents are still miserable. Many warned against this place, and I did not find out why until it was too late. Some people do legitimately like it there, but they did not seem to be a majority. I do think I learned a lot here and was trained well. However, there are plenty of well trained anesthesiologists who probably didn't have to deal with the BS at Rush. I would not have ranked them nearly as high if I knew back then what I know now.

This, of course, is the opinion of one person, as many people will continue to say. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck with the match process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Man... I have my share of rough days in residency. Especially this time of year.

All of a sudden my program seems a lot more tolerable

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a shame.
#2 would be an absolute deal breaker for me. My wife is also a professional and you can't just change the schedule on people with little or no notice.
#3 is easy to fix. They need to fire the tech supervisor and hire a new one that holds the techs to higher standards. Do it right or don't do it.
It's good that they have a new PD. A chair doesn't have time to do both collateral duties. PD is a lot of work. In fact I looked at one job where they wanted me to transition to PD over 4 years. No thanks. That was actually a negative not a positive. Lol.

At my Rush interview dinner a few years back, there were no residents, only applicants.
I took that as a bad sign.

This is a terrible sign. I can't imagine how dysfunctional a program would have to be for no residents to show up to a preinterview dinner.

At my Rush interview dinner a few years back, there were no residents, only applicants.
I took that as a bad sign.

This is a terrible sign. I can't imagine how dysfunctional a program would have to be for no residents to show up to a preinterview dinner.

I wasn't the only one who got sick of endorsing our program. Our chiefs would literally have to email and/or mass page us and BEG us to come to these dinners. It says a lot when a resident, especially myself, says no to free food.

I interviewed at Rush 5 years ago and it was evident then that the residents weren't happy. It was the only program I interviewed at that I didn't rank. Completely miserable program and happy I didn't rank them.

Dang, sorry you had to go through that. Reading this definitely makes me appreciate my program even more.

]
It's good that they have a new PD. A chair doesn't have time to do both collateral duties. PD is a lot of work. In fact I looked at one job where they wanted me to transition to PD over 4 years. No thanks. That was actually a negative not a positive. Lol.

Yeah, about that...

According to my friend, the 'new' PD is the same jerkhole who made our lives miserable for 3 years. The only difference is now, he officially has the title of PD. Not only did he talk down to us clinically, but he also seemed to think it appropriate to tell us how to dress and groom ourselves, as if we were his kids. I'm sure as hell glad that's over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern 2.0

With one notable exception.

When the Northwestern thread came out, there were suddenly posts from brand new users, presumably current residents and possibly the PD, singing their praises of the program. Here, after a week and nearly 1400 views, notice how nobody has come to the defense of this program. Not a single person. The silence here is deafening, and speaks volumes.

With one notable exception.

When the Northwestern thread came out, there were suddenly posts from brand new users, presumably current residents and possibly the PD, singing their praises of the program. Here, after a week and nearly 1400 views, notice how nobody has come to the defense of this program. Not a single person. The silence here is deafening, and speaks volumes.

I'm not here to defend or promote NW. But not sure what the deafening silence is meant to speak volumes about? Can't silence cut either way? After all, the absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence.

I'm not here to defend or promote NW. But not sure what the deafening silence is meant to speak volumes about? Can't silence cut either way? After all, the absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence.

I also do not have any personal bias either towards or against NW. However, when all the posters came out to defend their program in the NW thread, I took that as a sign that there are many residents there who are quite happy with their program and felt it necessary to share their positive experiences. Nobody felt that need about Rush.

The absence of evidence isn't necessarily the evidence of absence, but it's a pretty damn powerful indicator.

im from the program... its fine u work ur butt off but i got a good fellowship so did most of us especially in pain. as for the whiny people im sorry your lazy. they wont spoonfeed u anything.. i read on my own, but im prepared for anything. it doesn't have fellowship other then pain so its either a plus or negative. plus because u get to do most advanced peds including hearts if u dont want to which im sure this poster will complain about. Our tech support does suck but makes u appreciate it when u get out into private practice. yes theres scut work but whatever its residency suck it up.
Its up to you, if ur lazy dont come to it;
you can pm me if u have any other questions/ concerns.

the "jerkhole" asks us to come dressed professionally to work; to you know convey were not crnas but physicians and so other members of the hospitals see us as different. I guess other jobs wont ask you to do that, so ur right hes a "jerk"

im from the program... its fine u work ur butt off but i got a good fellowship so did most of us especially in pain. as for the whiny people im sorry your lazy. they wont spoonfeed u anything.. i read on my own, but im prepared for anything. it doesn't have fellowship other then pain so its either a plus or negative. plus because u get to do most advanced peds including hearts if u dont want to which im sure this poster will complain about. Our tech support does suck but makes u appreciate it when u get out into private practice. yes theres scut work but whatever its residency suck it up.

I read some of these posts and I'm just... disappointed. What you're describing sounds like a lower-tier program - one that I'm glad I didn't apply to. What's crazy is that it's in your best interests to address the initial comments in a rational manner. As a member of the program you should want it to improve, and to attract stronger applicants - it makes you look better down the road.

Whenever a resident starts throwing around the word "lazy" on an interview day I just mentally roll my eyes and start shuffling the program to the bottom of my rank list. I'm sure there are some applicants out there somewhere who are looking to dog it during residency, but I would submit that the bulk of them have a robust work ethic, and any implication that someone who doesn't enjoy a mountain of scut is "lazy" is just absurd.

Reactions: 3 users
Just look at the fellowship placement in the last three years and tell me it's lower tier. Quit expecting to learn anesthesia in a place that relieves u by crnas at 3.

And I already got my fellowship I could care less about my "best interest" it's hard work, the op even said he's well trained!

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. One of the first things I mentioned is that this post was not a complaint on having to work hard, and I stand by that. There is a difference between being worked hard and being abused. Does expecting to be talked to like an adult make me 'lazy'? Does expecting not to be actively sabotaged by OR nurses/anesthesia techs make me 'lazy'? Does expecting our secretary to do her job and register us for our Inservice exam on time make me 'lazy'? Does expecting to have reasonable advanced notice prior to exams so that I don't schedule my vacation and have to change plans at the last minute make me 'lazy'? Does expecting not to be placed in an open heart room on a pre-approved vacation day make me 'lazy'? If so, I'll gladly take the 'lazy' label any day of the week.

It's probably not what he says/does, but how.

This.

the "jerkhole" asks us to come dressed professionally to work; to you know convey were not crnas but physicians and so other members of the hospitals see us as different. I guess other jobs wont ask you to do that, so ur right hes a "jerk"

There is a much simpler way to differentiate between us and CRNAs. It's called an ID badge. If they REALLY wanted us to look different in front of staff/patients, they would have given us different color scrubs, head covers, or ANYTHING more obvious than our attire in the parking lot at 6 am. Just saying.

If it were simply an issue of us having to dress up, it would be a minor inconvenience at most. The fact is, this person, a self proclaimed 'obsessive compulsive neurotic', tries to control every facet of our lives. Yes, as an adult, I personally do find it insulting to be told how to dress to work.

And I already got my fellowship I could care less about my "best interest" it's hard work, the op even said he's well trained!

And?

I never understood how people could use the fact that we're 'well trained' as the ONLY defense of this program. Somehow all the hypocrites spout that out at the interview dinners (the few that attend anyway), and yet they all seem to forget that fact when they come in to work the next morning complaining about how miserable they all are, day after day. People argue this as if it's a reasonable excuse to overlook the countless flaws of this program, as if the training over at NW, U of C, or any other program in the country is crap.

News Flash: You will get GREAT training at alot of places, not just Rush. I worked with plenty of attendings who did not train at Rush, and I certainly don't see them struggling for air simply because they are not Rush grads. If a program wants to make itself desirable, they need more than 'strong training' to sell themselves.

David Rothenberg is the man! One who I admire greatly.

David M. Rothenberg, M.D., FCCM.

The Max S. Sadove, MD Professor of Anesthesiology,
Residency Program Director, Department of Anesthesiology
Associate Dean, Academic Affiliations,
Rush University Medical Center

Senior Attending, Department of Anesthesiology

M.D.
University of Illinois, Abraham Lincoln School of Medicine

Residency
Internal Medicine, Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center
Anesthesiology, Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center

Fellowship
Critical Care-Anesthesia, Department of Anesthesiology
Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center

Certifications
American Board of Anesthesiology - Critical Care Medicine
American Board of Anesthesiology
American Board of Internal Medicine
Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy

Special Interests
Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Spirituality in Patients Undergoing Surgery
Effects of Melatonin in Critically Ill Patients
Perioperative Medical Ethics
Acid-Base Interpretation
Renal Physiology

img3_2009_small.jpg

i interviewed at rush this past year and I'm 99% sure i know who you are by this paragraph alone. yea, everyone knows residency is hard, dude. that doesn't mean we want to join a group of angry individuals for 4 years. its the feel that i got from the program that is conveyed in your statement here that made me rank rush dead f*cking last - and probably the reason why your program faired so miserably in the match. because someone wants to go to a program where people are happy and supportive, they're lazy?

Reactions: 1 users
I was trying not to name any names. So much for anonymity... but now that the cat is out of the bag:

He is certainly very bright, I will give you that. Now if only he weren't a childish, condescending egomaniac who threw temper tantrums all day, I'd probably respect him more...

Reactions: 2 users
The market place has spoken.

In the 2014 NRMP match advanced positions across the country filled at a rate of 93.6%. At Rush the match rate was 38.4%. Of the 13 regular advanced positions Rush offered only 5 filled. This is all anyone needs to know.

If that PD really is an egomaniac he probably only ranked the superstars that interviewed there as a safety program and all went to MHG, Stanford, Penn, etc. and he was probably surprised they didn't love him and chose Rush. I'm sure they're not the best program/location in Chicago.
They won't make that mistake again.
We heavily screen applicants for the fellowship and only interview about 1/3, but most get ranked as we would rather have a full class then rely on getting a good unmatched candidate. You can't be too confident. There are too many variables in the ranking process.

This thread is a powerful proof of how helpful this forum can be to the new guys.
There are no secrets anymore and if a program is abusive sooner or later someone will talk.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone,

I wanted to offer a current perspective of how things are going at Rush. I am currently an anesthesia resident at Rush and I can honestly say that I am happy with my choice. I think these threads can be very helpful for prospective applicants, however, it's also easy to put too much emphasis and weight on someone's view. I would encourage you to do your own investigating about the current state of the program and gather information from as many sources as you can. What I find disappointing about this original post is that it's a misleading characterization of "the real rush anesthesiology." I can not speak to how things were when "Triple AAA" did their residency at Rush but to portray their experience as an accurate depiction of Rush under the guise of "The Real Rush Anesthesiology" is deceptive reporting. It's easy to take the opinion of a former resident with a particularly bad experience and blow it out of proportion. I found out about this thread 2 days ago and its distressing to see how the initial malicious feelings have led to a snowball effect against the program at a very suspicious timing of the post.

So here are my two cents. Many of the points that "Triple AAA" touched upon have actually been addressed within our residency. The reality is that there is a large volume of cases at Rush but I do not agree that we have a group of "particularly embittered attending staff." For the most part, I would say the relationship between the attendings and the residents are collegial and respectful, not "berating, yelling, condescension, etc." As with all programs, you will find some attendings are more interested in teaching than others. It is no different at Rush. Most of the attendings are easily approachable and offer unprompted valuable knowledge. We have attendings that will go the extra mile for the residents in the form of stopping everything and getting on their hands and knees to look for a resident's missing wedding band (on her wedding anniversary no less) to unexpectedly paying for the residents' party bus for the holiday party (trust me not cheap).

One of my favorite aspects about this program is the camaraderie among the residents. As a CA-1, I have never experienced maltreatment from a senior resident. In fact, I would argue the opposite is true. The learning that occurs through my interactions with my co-residents (especially on call) are indispensable. These are people that are not only colleagues but friends that I will continue to keep in touch with long after residency. This is an understated importance when choosing a residency as the people you are working with will ultimately shape your experience.

Within the past year, the program has made significant strides in approving the efficiency of the workplace including the Techs. The techs and pre-op nurses have expanded their roles as rooms are getting turned over between cases, extra attention is paid to cardiac rooms being set-up properly, IV bags are pre-made, etc. In addition, the PD has discussed obtaining more techs through a new anesthesia tech program rotating through our ORs. Moreover, some attendings are more apt to helping the workflow and will see the next patient, start IVs, etc. These little things add up and are really helpful.

One of the strengths of the program is the PD and the chairman. The PD can be intimidating and he will even acknowledge this but his intentions are to prepare his residents to handle anything and everything when we are off on our own. He has repeatedly told us to come to him without hesitation with any issues or concerns. He will be your greatest advocate and I have heard from numerous people that have gone through the program that he will be the first to pick up the phone and make a recommendation for you. He will apply pressure to bring out the best in the residents as a good coach would to his players (i.e. Harbaugh) but don't mistake his style with not having a sincere investment in his residents. It is truly nice to see that our suggestions have been taken seriously and actual improvements have occurred.

As an aside, it is true that he expects us to dress professionally coming into the hospital but I know this is no different than my medical school's anesthesia department's expectations. I'm surprised that this is even a sore point in a residency experience. That's all.

I've already felt that I have written way too much and I'm definitely not one to post in threads. But I hope this helps clarify how things are at Rush. Be careful what you read on these threads and take it with a grain of salt. There are a lot of great people in Rush Anesthesia that will help you get to where you want to go. I'm not claiming that the program is perfect but it is definitely not as bad as how it sounded when "Triple AAA" was at Rush. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

he expects us to dress professionally coming into the hospital but I know this is no different than my medical school's anesthesia department's expectations. I'm surprised that this is even a sore point in a residency experience.

"Dress professionally" as in wearing a tie? Considering that in the words of one surgeon friend, "The best part of this job is that I get to wear pajamas [scrubs] at work," honestly, asking people to iron shirts and wear ties simply to walk from their cars to the locker room would annoy an awful lot of anesthesia - or surgery, or ER, or ... - folks I've met.[/QUOTE]

"Dress professionally" as in wearing a tie? Considering that in the words of one surgeon friend, "The best part of this job is that I get to wear pajamas [scrubs] at work," honestly, asking people to iron shirts and wear ties simply to walk from their cars to the locker room would annoy an awful lot of anesthesia - or surgery, or ER, or ... - folks I've met.
[/QUOTE]

Ages ago at a certain west coast program, a faculty member who was the editor of Anesthesiology made a comment about resident attire because we had several who would skateboard to work in shorts n flip flops. Nothing really changed though.

Ages ago at a certain west coast program, a faculty member who was the editor of Anesthesiology made a comment about resident attire because we had several who would skateboard to work in shorts n flip flops. Nothing really changed though.
I think this has been covered before. Many anesthesiologists dress very casually on their way in to work. Depending on your practice, this may be fine. However, if you are the only physicians in the hospital who have this lax dress code, you will stand out in a bad way and not be thought of as other physicians are. So, I would tailor your dress to your environment. If everybody else is dressing nicely, you probably should too if you wish to be thought of as an equal colleague. If all of the surgeons stroll into the dressing room in shorts and a t-shirt on OR days, it won't stick out if you do the same.
However, if you go to see a patient in their hospital room, you should likely be either dressed professionally or still in your scrubs with or without a white coat (There is an entire thread devoted to the pros and cons of the white coat).
Most of the old school "must wear a tie at all times and no scrubs outside the periop area" people are starting to retire and the younger generation does not seem to think it is that crucial. So, I say, do what others are doing. If I am dressed too casual, I try to see as few people as possible on my way in and out. I frequently wear a tie when I am doing admin stuff because it is the local culture for faculty docs and I frequently meet with people from other specialties.

dear Triple AAA,

I am a current resident at Rush. The first thing that came to mind when I heard about this thread was why after being gone from a residency program for "several years" did you decide to post something now about a program that you obviously are not up to date on any longer. (So I apologize but I have to question your motives.) I would like to make a point that it seems as though you were very unhappy with your experience here and therefore you have decided to generalize your experience to that of every resident at Rush. I can guarantee that your experience does not speak for the majority here. Yes, we now know about your post and this thread. At first, no one took it seriously because of the things I have already mentioned. I will attempt to address each point here:

1. The anesthesia group is privately owned and profitable. There was an influx of new patients when the new tower was built and the program had to meet those demands as far as staffing. They are currently in the process of hiring new attendings (and have already added a few who are pretty awesome) and CRNAs. As far as their salaries...they seem to not really be suffering. It's also pretty nice when we get a Christmas bonus every year which goes against your point of a "lack of care" attitude here. Also, I have never been "yelled at" in the OR...and if any attending displayed any type of said behavior we are encouraged to report these issues.

2. The scheduler is a good person who does the best he can. He is very approachable. It
shouldn't matter in this instance if he is a CRNA. This program is big and you cannot please everyone all the time. That being said if there is a scheduling mishap (uncommon in my experience) there are multiple ways you can address it including calling or texting him on his cell phone. Not a big deal. He has someone helping now with vacation approval. If there was a time I needed off or had to leave early everyone (including attendings) was very willing to help out. We are a team here. Also, we are not put on call last minute...the call schedule comes out now 2 months in advance.

3. The techs are very helpful. There is no "sabotage" going on here. There is also talk about an anesthesia tech training program coming here. The rooms are stocked every night. They now turn over our rooms in between cases and bring us items or scopes if we need them in a case. Nurses make our IV bags in the morning and we even help out and set up rooms for each other for the next day if we are on call. That's just because the other residents I work with are awesome.

4. The PD is NOT the terrible person you make him out to be. You must have been on his radar for something or he must have been different when you were here. He is very intelligent and expects the best from his residents. He wants us to be professional in every way and asks that we basically don't come to the hospital in our pjs...not a deal breaker. He pours his heart into this job and patient care. I have seen him become passionate about a few things...mostly if someone screws up. This is because he takes our training very seriously and works hard to improve it any chance he can. If we have an issue he is responsive to our concerns. He is also an oral board examiner. That means some of you going into Anesthesiology will possibly have him (or someone just like him) when you walk into that hotel room for your board exam- good luck. We have trained with him...enough said.

5. No such issues with the coordinator on my end. All of our tests are on our online calendar for the year. We also receive email reminders about them. I'm not going to respond to the " I heard from a friend" comment.

6. I'm glad you stopped going to interview dinners because your view is incredibly pessimistic. I have been on interview dinners and have NEVER been asked or heard of any resident being asked to fill out a form on an applicant. I'm sure there are residents in every program who could say the same negative things about their own program (ie NW thread). All this shows is that the program was not a good fit....

Our fellowship placements are evidence enough that our program is top tier. We are one of the three in Chicago in my opinion.

To those of you who are interviewing-in the end residency is what you make it. Go to a program that is a good fit for you and your family. I do not regret my decision of coming here. I have made lifelong friends here. I am learning my profession and will be well trained with awesome fellowship options.

keyser-soze and cobra30,

Your posts are terribly interesting but neither of you responded to the match data I posted. Can you please explain why the match rate at Rush for advanced positions in anesthesiology was below 40% while the rate for the rest of the country exceeded 93%? Thanks loads.

As someone who did his residency at Rush, I can GUARANTEE you that cobra30's post is closer to reality than the first one.

Dear keyser_soze and cobra30,

Thank you both for your contribution to this thread. I appreciate you sharing what I have already shared: an honest opinion on your experiences in the program. Unlike the 2 of you, however, I will not dismiss your opinion simply because they disagree with my own. They are, after all, opinions and experiences.

I find it laughable that you both accuse me of 'generalizing' my experience to all residents at Rush, even though you both did exactly the same thing: generalized on the overall opinion of your class based on your personal opinions. Who are you to say that nobody feels unhappy at the program, or that the majority agree with you? The reality, more likely, is they are afraid of the stigmatization that comes with having a voice.

After speaking to many of my classmates and colleagues, it became apparent that my views were clearly shared by most of my co-residents. However, most of them were coerced/intimidated out of expressing their true feelings at dinner, out of fear of administrative repercussions. It is for this reason that there was such a poor showing at our interview dinners.

My main reason for posting this thread is because candidates deserve to know the full picture behind any program. This includes the positives as well as the negatives. I also do this for the sake of the current residents who may be so-called 'outliers', who also fear sharing their true views of the program at the risk of punishment. I was once in your shoes. For the reasons I mentioned earlier, most candidates do not ever see the negative side to the program. Also, it baffles me that an honest opinion, albeit negative, is looked upon as 'unprofessional', or as an outlier. I suppose it's much more professional on the part of program administration to force us into lying to the faces of unsuspecting candidates for the sake of maintaining a good image. Of course, from what I gather from several of the candidates who have posted, most of them saw right through the BS. This is also reflected in the match results.

It is difficult for me to imagine many of the changes that you have both described. Nonetheless, if true, I am truly happy for you both, as they are DRASTICALLY different from the program in my day. I can only hope that they felt some semblance of remorse for the years of abuse they incurred and actually made the changes you speak of.

Thank you both again for your contributions.

Triple AAA

Last edited:
I think this has been covered before. Many anesthesiologists dress very casually on their way in to work. Depending on your practice, this may be fine.

Yeah, good point. We have surgeons who dress like they're going to a wedding and surgeons who dress like they're going skateboarding, so I'm just used to wearing something comfortable.

keyser-soze and cobra30,

Your posts are terribly interesting but neither of you responded to the match data I posted. Can you please explain why the match rate at Rush for advanced positions in anesthesiology was below 40% while the rate for the rest of the country exceeded 93%? Thanks loads.

I am not going to check your stats on this one so I'll just trust you are not misrepresenting anything.... All I can say is last year was likely an off year probably because of threads like these. Most residents are unlikely to rank any program when the term "malignant" is thrown around no matter how accurate (or in the past) it was present in a program. I still ranked Rush high because I new someone who was at the program and loved it. I also had a good interview experience. That's really all I can say. Feel free to email me about any other questions you have.

keyser-soze and cobra30,

Someone else replied with the most likely simple explanation - the program probably misjudged how many people they needed to rank to fill. The top X programs are all interviewing and ranking the same Y people, for the most part.

keyser-soze and cobra30,

Current rush resident, I know it would be more valuable to use my normal handle, but it would be incredibly easy to identify me based on my post history, so heres a throwaway, take it for what you will

First off, I believe the previous 5 cycles had a match rate around 97-98%, so last year was definitely an outlier. But my theory is that much it if stemmed to some bad online press. Scutwork.com had a SCATHING review and there were also a couple others on SDN that weren't very favorable. In fact, the scutwork poster copied and pasted their post here to SDN, they were intent on doing everything they could to hurt rush for whatever reason. I think a couple of these posts spread by word of mouth through the applicants and rush just didn't do a good enough job addressing the complaints of the posts. Most of them commented on tech support/turnover, work load, attendings (specifically the PD), and a few other issues.

The program is definitely responding to the complaints now, and I'm sure the 8 unfilled spots had an effect too. There are many changes coming into effect now and I think the program is definitely working to fix some of the resident issues, many of which were detailed above. Someone above called rush a "low-tier" program which is absolutely laughable. Take a look at the fellowship match lists, its up on our website, it easily compares with any program in the country. The program also features 3 oral board examiners, i cant think of a program that i interviewed at that had more. Facilities are 10/10 and we're located in one of the coolest cities in the country. The PD is intense, but protective of his residents and does everything he can to make sure we get the fellowships we want. I love it here, and am extremely happy with my training.

I urge applicants to go with their gut, take EVERYTHING, good or bad, that you read on the internet with a massive grain of salt. If you interviewed at rush and hated it, rank it last. If you interviewed here and loved it, dont let some posts on the internet change your mind.

Current Rush resident here; I would have to concur with my colleagues Keyser_soze and cobra30 above in terms of what the program is like now. I don't doubt that it was a more trying place to train some years ago, but things really have changed over the past 5 years and continue to do so. This is a very large program, and has continually had the maximum ACGME accreditation cycle length for the last 30 years...they must be doing something right I would think. Are there aspects of the program which could improve? Yes. Are there things I find annoying? Sure. Just as a large ship has difficulty changing course on a dime, so is the case here; but things are definitely changing for the better.

That being said, by and large it is a solid place to train in a great city with plenty of job and fellowship prospects for afterwards. The posters above who say things like "wow my program seems so much better after reading this" make me chuckle, because I thought the exact same thing after reading both of the previous Northwestern bashing posts and others like it. Look people, the grass is always greener on the other side and every program has its flaws and things that will become your pet peeves. That's just human nature, and this is residency after all!

I don't think Rush is malignant at all. It's busy as heck, and yeah could probably run a bit more efficiently (but that is a fairly common trait among large, high volume institutions). I've never been berated by any attendings or abused in any way. Hell, I've had almost every weekend off so far this year: a far cry from my intern year.

To applicants, I would say do not let a bitter poster or two ruin it for you. Come here and check it out yourself, and ask/express any legitimate question or concern you may have. If you feel it's worth it for you to train here, rank it accordingly. If not, it's your life; better you end up where you will be happy or at least content.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

To all current Rush residents who have responded,

Thank you all for contributing to this thread and giving your honest impressions of the program. I am not sure what your current levels of training are, and I will not ask you to risk identifying yourselves by stating it. I will say this: when I was a CA-1, I very well may have written the same things that you are all writing now. Early on, I did go to interview dinners. I did have very positive things to say about my experiences, even though I had my share of bad days. I was very optimistic.

Unfortunately, through my personal experiences that I will not share here, I felt that the program had failed me somewhere in my CA-2 year. Each year did get better than the last, with CA-3 year being the best. This was likely because CA-3 year was the year where I spent the most time AWAY from the Rush ORs. Things got better, but it was too little and too late. The damage had already been done.

Again, if the changes you describe are indeed taking place, then Rush is already light years ahead of what I remember. I am glad you are enjoying your time there. I only hope that you will be singing the same tune at the end of your residency as you are now.

Triple AAA

The original post is true. My roommate all through residency went to Rush for anesthesia and was completely miserable. He just finished this past year. The stories I heard were exactly like what were just posted.

The PD was horrible. The new coordinator was awful. Scheduling vacation was impossible. Attendings were incredibly malignant and education and didactics was laughable. At one of their meetings people were complaining about how bad things were and the PD was totally unreceptive.

There is a reason why it does not fill and people scramble to go there.

I hate to bad mouth a program but seriously save yourself and go to an organized program where you have a fair chance at having a good life during residency.

Reactions: 2 users
As the interview season comes to a close, I would like to wish everybody the best of luck in the Match. I remember what a nerve wracking time it was for everyone back when I did it, and I'm sure it's no different now.

I would like to advise everybody to make the most informed decision possible. I will not tell you who to rank highly, lowly, or at all. I will only say this: take all experiences and anecdotes, both positive and negative, into account, in the context of your personal experiences and your priorities. For those who do end up at Rush, I certainly hope that it is now the enriching haven portrayed by some of the previous posters, and not the life draining experience it was when I was there. No matter what happens, I can take solace knowing that I warned you all, and that you are able to make a much more informed decision than I was, without such a warning.

Good luck everyone.

Well, it looks like the results are in: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-soap-stats.1125970/#post-16394636

Rush finished the season with a total of 7 unfilled spots (6 adv + 1 res). They must have done something right, as this is actually an improvement from last year.

There you have it, the people have 'spoken'. Take note, future applicants. Don't let those gunners brainwash you, that place is hell.

Disclaimer: Yes, I am aware that these aren't 'official' results. I obviously did not take part in the match or SOAP and would not have access to this information, so I'm trusting that the results posted are accurate. Also, I would be surprised if anybody took the time or effort to fabricate results this extensive for any alterior motives whatsoever.

Last edited:
Further down you find proof that US grads who can't find a PGY-1 spot have problems of their own making...

(14 unfilled surgical prelim spots. not saying that anyone WANTS these spots, but for those who don't match, it's "any port in a storm")