The Rejection Thread - PsyD/PhD 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicstory

Clinical Psychology PhD Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As they start rolling in and out, I thought I'd start a rejection thread.

While there are often negative thoughts/feelings about rejection, I've started to realize that it may be for the better. And I wanted to pull some traffic away from the interview invite thread since a lot of people are starting to get anxious. So I'll start...

Rejected from University of Nebraska-Lincoln. They drew out the rejection, and originally they were in my top 2. But then I realized... do I really want to spend 6 or more years of my life in Nebraska, USA? Now that I think of it, not really. So they kind of did me a favor.

On to brighter thoughts and cheers to you all - don't let a few rejections define and discredit your hard work!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good idea. I have not been formally rejected yet, but I assume they will come in soon. Just curious - how did you find out about your status?

Good idea. I have not been formally rejected yet, but I assume they will come in soon. Just curious - how did you find out about your status?

I was sent an e-mail. The typical "we received many qualified applicants, and cannot admit you" type of e-mail. They kept sending up dates that my application went under review, a decision was made, and then got a follow-up written by my POI, but sent through the graduate coordinator.

That also brings me to a point. Let's only post official rejections. It'd be sad to see people posting "soft" rejections and then showing up on the interview thread saying they received an interview. Don't wanna rub salt in any wounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from University of Nebraska-Lincoln. They drew out the rejection, and originally they were in my top 2. But then I realized... do I really want to spend 6 or more years of my life in Nebraska, USA? Now that I think of it, not really. So they kind of did me a favor.
Some of the top training for certain specialties happens to be in places not exactly known to be "happening" places. Just remember that that location may be someone's dream landing spot.

Some of the top training for certain specialties happens to be in places not exactly known to be "happening" places. Just remember that that location may be someone's dream landing spot.

I completely agree with that. However, once I started looking into it more, I realized it may not be a place for me. For example, the closest family member I would have if I went there would be in New York, so I'd be stuck somewhere without even the inkling of a friendly face. I'm in no way discounting it, obviously I applied there so I understand it's a top program, but upon closer examination, if I did get accepted there is a high possibility I would have been very unhappy.

Rejected from UCSB clinical/counseling tracks

Unofficial rejections from UNC and Temple so far (all interviews have been extended)

So far I've been officially rejected by UNL, but am expecting more rejections to come since I've heard that some of the schools I've applied to have extended their interview invitations. This is for Clinical Psychology.

I just received my first official rejection from the University of Iowa.

Super nervous about my other schools though!!!

Unofficial rejections from Emory, UNLV, and Rutgers (all interviews extend). Sadness.

Boston College Counseling PhD is done extending invites

Official rejections from University of Vermont (e-mail from POI) and UCSD/SDSU JDP (mass e-mail).

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially rejected from Arizona State University

My official rejections are: Indiana State University (psyd), University of Kansas (child clinical), and University of Nebraska - Lincoln (clinical).

Mass email rejection from University of Louisville

I've seen a couple of official rejections from the University of Minnesota on TGC. I went to check the website, but my application status is still "awaiting program decision". Anyone still got that? I'm expecting a rejection since they didn't interview me.

I've seen a couple of official rejections from the University of Minnesota on TGC. I went to check the website, but my application status is still "awaiting program decision". Anyone still got that? I'm expecting a rejection since they didn't interview me.

I also wasn't offered an interview, but I say the post as well on TGC. Mine also says "awaiting program decision". I did hear they work more on the POI's schedules, so maybe there's a delay?

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my rejection from Wayne State. Which was a surprise because I didn't apply there? Then I remembered that I had made an account to apply before I heard back that the two people I wanted to study with weren't accepting any students, and I didn't think to delete my account because the only info was my name and the program. Whoops.

Can anyone on here claim the Southern Miss Clinical rejection on TGC? If so, was it a mass-email? I applied there but haven't heard anything either way, so was just wondering if that indicated I may have been waitlisted. Thanks!

Mass rejection for University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Clinical Psychology

Official Rejection from Marquette University's PhD in clinical psychology program

One thing I don't get- some of the schools I haven't heard from have sent out invites AND rejection emails and letters (based on TGC and here) but I haven't gotten anything at all. I'd almost rather have the concrete rejection. It seems like some schools have 3 groups of people- ones they invite to interview, ones they send a clear rejection to, and ones they don't communicate with at all. Don't quite get it...

Can anyone on here claim the Southern Miss Clinical rejection on TGC? If so, was it a mass-email? I applied there but haven't heard anything either way, so was just wondering if that indicated I may have been waitlisted. Thanks!

I applied to Southern Miss and haven't received a rejection email. So I"m assuming that I'm wait-listed (Hopefully).

Still mourning my University of Denver clinical PsyD rejection... it was such a perfect program for me in so many ways... I thought. Every time I see an unrelated Denver post on GradCafé, I feel sad all over again.

Post-interview rejection from Pennsylvania State University Clinical. Not a surprise. It's a great program with some amazing research and training opportunities, but wow, kind of glad I'm not going there in a lot of ways.

Post-interview reject from PSU clinical! Bummed but not surprised.

Just got my rejection from Wayne State. Which was a surprise because I didn't apply there? Then I remembered that I had made an account to apply before I heard back that the two people I wanted to study with weren't accepting any students, and I didn't think to delete my account because the only info was my name and the program. Whoops.

That actually made me laugh! You should have emailed them back telling them that the feeling was mural to begin with.

Clark University Sent out Update Email to check student account

Letter from Director of Clinical Training

Official Rejection

I have a question about the rejections process, if anyone has an answer:
I've heard many many times that the first step in the admissions process for most schools is to cut the applicant pool in half by some cutoff number for GPA/GRE. So why do those applicants not hear back like, right away that they're rejected? Why do most schools wait until March/April to send out rejections? I get that you don't wanna reject one of your top 50 choices because maybe you bring in 10 applicants for interview and they're all weirdos, and you want to keep your options open, but why wait so long to reject the applicants who are definitely not getting in?

I'm not angry about this, just curious

Last edited:

Official Rejection
Was this a mass-email? I haven't heard back from Clark in any way, but I assume I am rejected.

Official Rejection

I'm also wondering about this. I've seen a few people post rejections but I also haven't heard back from them. Was it a mass email or something sent individually?

Bre333, I can't comment on all schools. The program I know does not really do that (use cutoffs). This is how they usually evaluate applications. The pool is divided up by alphabet with a couple of faculty members and a student evaluating each applicant file. Each Faculty member can use their own criteria to generate a rating (say 1-4 with 1 best). A list is made and checked off when students mention interest in a particular faculty member. That faculty member reviews the file also even if it wasn't originally assigned--since the faculty member was mentioned, he or she will have a major influence on whether or not the person is invited to interview and later if he or she is extended an offer. Once there are a few ratings for most applicants, a list of the top rated applicants is made-to invite for an interview. Sometimes a student with low scores has strengths in other areas. Those invited to interview with deficits in one area usually have other strengths that more than compensate for the deficit or that at least make the deficit less of a concern. For instance, a very low math score would be less of a concern if the student has gotten good grades in rigorous math/science classes. A lousy stats grade may be offset by a strong math GRE score and good lab experience. It really is holistic and while there is no formula or cutoff, faculty are looking for candidates they think can balance the demands of the program.

I'm also wondering about this. I've seen a few people post rejections but I also haven't heard back from them. Was it a mass email or something sent individually?
Mass email to check your account

I've heard many many times that the first step in the admissions process for most schools is to cut the applicant pool in half by some cutoff number for GPA/GRE. So why do those applicants not hear back like, right away that they're rejected? Why do most schools wait until March/April to send out rejections? I get that you don't wanna reject one of your top 50 choices because maybe you bring in 10 applicants for interview and they're all weirdos, and you want to keep your options open, but why wait so long to reject the applicants who are definitely not getting in?

I'm not angry about this, just curious

There is sometimes a hard cutoff imposed by the grad school about GPA, GRE, or TOEFL scores, and people under those cutoffs would not be allowed in by the graduate school. I'm sure the process varies, but nowhere I've been have faculty not been given the freedom to look at all the people who wanted to apply to them. I don't know about fresnal's report about grad students being involved in rating the files. That feels like questionable FERPA practice to me, and runs into other potential problems (e.g., if the grad students are actively involved in the admissions process, they better be being briefed by HR about appropriate and inappropriate questions).

I think some schools probably prolong the rejection process for the convenience of the admin person who has to send all the rejection emails, honestly. I think it's much better practice to reject as you go so people are clear on their positions but maybe that's unfeasible at some schools.

I've heard many many times that the first step in the admissions process for most schools is to cut the applicant pool in half by some cutoff number for GPA/GRE. So why do those applicants not hear back like, right away that they're rejected? Why do most schools wait until March/April to send out rejections?

At my school, GPA and GRE scores are used to create general categories of rankings, but we review all of the applications and have to fill out a form for the graduate school on every applicant. I'm not sure why it takes so long for schools to send out rejections -- my memory from applying was that most of my rejections came from the graduate school rather than the program I applied to, and graduate schools are often on a different (later) schedule than clinical psychology programs due to the April 15 deadline. One program did give out interview acceptances, interview waitlists, and rejections all at once and it seemed a much more logical and humane way of doing things. Honestly, I often think the lack of transparency in this process makes it much more stressful than it needs to be for applicants.

I don't know about fresnal's report about grad students being involved in rating the files. That feels like questionable FERPA practice to me, and runs into other potential problems (e.g., if the grad students are actively involved in the admissions process, they better be being briefed by HR about appropriate and inappropriate questions).

Grad students are involved in reviewing and rating applications and interviewing at my school, and I thought this was a relatively common practice. I was curious about whether FERPA applies here, and did a little research. It looks like most application materials aren't covered because they're not records of current students; however, records from prior schools (i.e., transcripts) submitted as part of an application would be covered (but we don't see these in the application materials that we review).

Grad students are involved in reviewing and rating applications and interviewing at my school, and I thought this was a relatively common practice. I was curious about whether FERPA applies here, and did a little research. It looks like most application materials aren't covered because they're not records of current students; however, records from prior schools (i.e., transcripts) submitted as part of an application would be covered (but we don't see these in the application materials that we review).
That's good then. The bigger concern I'd have is, if students are officially involved in the process, if they are being briefed by HR on what not to ask during interviews. It's unlikely that an applicant would sue, of course, but HR at your university would probably go crazy if students were involved in admissions but not going through a hiring class.

Wow thanks guys, that's been really helpful, thank you!

MC parent, You are correct in theory but this particular school could care less--It endorses a "win at any cost" mentality and has had many recent scandals related to administrators and faculty doing outrageous things with out a care-and being allowed to do so as long as the result gets them what they want. There are plenty of internal "ism" officers charged with the task of delaying any complainers ("let's have an informal process instead of a formal grievance" called "we chat and I take any evidence you have and I refute it") until any statute of limitations has run out. They can easily handle complaints about violating hiring laws even when egregious. They are experts at that. The AA officer sat on one formal written grievance for months-later claiming she did not know there was a formal process and a time line. Oooops! So, I don't think they need to worry too much about laws or ethics regarding these issues. But, you are correct about the concerns. It would be desirable if they cared. They don't.

Okay, thank you. Maybe they're doing it in waves or something.

See, I got the rejection email from UVa today. Oh well! It was kind of a long shot for me anyway (the research interests didn't quite mesh, even though it was something I was interested in).

Official rejection from University of Maryland College Park's Counseling Psychology PhD.

No surprise since I was not invited to interview!

Rejection!!
SUNY Albany: Clinical Ph. D program

Email from Assistant to the Chair :
"Yes, all interview invitations have been extended already. "
"We have 176 applications vying for 6 open spots."

Oh well, Plan B isn't so bad. Take a year off from my school psych position to stay home with my kids, then return to my job until I retire in 2030 .........

That's good then. The bigger concern I'd have is, if students are officially involved in the process, if they are being briefed by HR on what not to ask during interviews. It's unlikely that an applicant would sue, of course, but HR at your university would probably go crazy if students were involved in admissions but not going through a hiring class.

I totally agree -- don't think we do a good job with this where I am, and the nature of a lot of grad school interviews (staying with current students, social events, etc.) facilitates some boundary blurring in which some questions that couldn't be asked in a formal job interview might come up.

School: University of South Dakota
Notified: Email from Graduate Coordinator with attached admission decision letter

School: University of North Texas, Counseling Psychology
Notified: Email, post-interview

Not surprised. It was such a poor fit and it became obvious to them and me during the interview.