The Republic of Texas XXVI: Big Trucks, Big Guns, Big Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone-was wondering if I could get a general opinion on something.

I got waitlisted at UTH and all I have done so far is sent Dr. Kellaway a very short e-mail like 3 days after match saying I loved the school and am still interested, etc. and to contact me with any questions about my app. Now I want to write a "formal" letter of interest/intent (although I still don't know what to say). Better done through e-mail or snail mail? Any opinions? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just talked to a friend who just called the admissions office-said they have an unranked alternate list and that every time a spot opens up they reevaluate the list and pick a person. Don't know about the update letters.
thanks for the info.

Hi everyone-was wondering if I could get a general opinion on something.

I got waitlisted at UTH and all I have done so far is sent Dr. Kellaway a very short e-mail like 3 days after match saying I loved the school and am still interested, etc. and to contact me with any questions about my app. Now I want to write a "formal" letter of interest/intent (although I still don't know what to say). Better done through e-mail or snail mail? Any opinions? Thanks!!
i'd like to hear some tips about this as well. i really haven't done many "concrete" stuff since my app was in (been working and doing some research with a paper in the preliminary stages of completion, but i dont know if that's something i can use since it isn't published yet).

I'm a long time lurker...
When people are saying they are waitlisted at UT-H did you get some kind of email or letter? I have a friend that's a 1st year there and he said last year it was just a given you were on the waitlist unless you got a rejection letter. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info.

i'd like to hear some tips about this as well. i really haven't done many "concrete" stuff since my app was in (been working and doing some research with a paper in the preliminary stages of completion, but i dont know if that's something i can use since it isn't published yet).

just thought i'd offer my 2 cents here. i matched to UT-H and sent in an update letter of interest in december (interviewed back in october). i'm still in school and hadn't really done many new things at the time of writing the letter, but i wrote about how i was continuing with X, Y, Z, elaborating on how each tied to a characteristic or aspect of the physician i hope to become and the connection i felt with UT-H in each aspect. i really empasized why i wanted to go to UT-H (and not because of personal reasons, but specific things about the school, the TMC, and faculty that i absolutely loved). good luck!

I'm a long time lurker...
When people are saying they are waitlisted at UT-H did you get some kind of email or letter? I have a friend that's a 1st year there and he said last year it was just a given you were on the waitlist unless you got a rejection letter. Thanks!

No e-mail or letter-they don't send those out. All those that interviewed are put on the waitlist, supposedly unranked, and the list is reevaluated every time a spot opens up.

oh also i sent the letter as a pdf attachment through email and made a note that a hard copy was following in the mail. dr. kellaway wrote back that she really enjoyed and appreciated my letter! who knows if she does that for everyone, but it made me feel better right before christmas :)

just thought i'd offer my 2 cents here. i matched to UT-H and sent in an update letter of interest in december (interviewed back in october). i'm still in school and hadn't really done many new things at the time of writing the letter, but i wrote about how i was continuing with X, Y, Z, elaborating on how each tied to a characteristic or aspect of the physician i hope to become and the connection i felt with UT-H in each aspect. i really empasized why i wanted to go to UT-H (and not because of personal reasons, but specific things about the school, the TMC, and faculty that i absolutely loved). good luck!

those 2 cents are worth more! thank you so much - I was having a hard time trying to figure out what I should write in the letter because I haven't done anything quite so new-but talking about continuing old things sounds great!! One more question- e-mail or typed out letter sent through snail mail?

I just talked to a friend who just called the admissions office-said they have an unranked alternate list and that every time a spot opens up they reevaluate the list and pick a person. Don't know about the update letters.

Yeah, I called them about an hour ago and heard the same thing. Made the wait list too :)

those 2 cents are worth more! thank you so much - I was having a hard time trying to figure out what I should write in the letter because I haven't done anything quite so new-but talking about continuing old things sounds great!! One more question- e-mail or typed out letter sent through snail mail?

yeah, honestly they know that you're busy and 6 months isn't a huge amount of time to save the world. plus, they want to see dedication and committment. i personally had a well-rounded application in terms of extracurriculars/activities so that wasn't an issue. i suppose if one was lacking in an area it would be worthwhile to address any amends made. i thought of the letters as another place to say those things and make those connections that you didn't have a chance to put forward in your personal statement and/or interview. of course, i am just someone who enjoys writing those types of flowery, metaphor-infused, english major-esque big picture statements on the meaning of medicine and life ;)

as far as the email or snail mail, i did both; i mean, if anything is worth a click of a button AND $0.42, this is! i honestly don't think it hurts to send it both ways. if anything it shows how much you want it. i am personally a fan of handwritten cards, letters, etc. so i always love mailing things when the opportunity presents itself. good luck, and glad i could help a bit!

UTHSCSA waitlist as well. I heard around 50 are waitlisted and 10-15 are offered spots...not sure on the validity of that.

:luck: everyone
so UTHSCSA doesn't automatically place everyone who interviewed but didn't get in onto the waitlist? seems like a lot of SDNers are well-qualified and got on it then!

Ok so my mom called me and I'm on the UTHSCSA waitlist too :oops:. Are we sure that not everyone makes it or is everyone that's on it an SDN member??

Ok so my mom called me and I'm on the UTHSCSA waitlist too :oops:. Are we sure that not everyone makes it or is everyone that's on it an SDN member??

yea...my Mom called too and they told her even she was on the waitlist...didn't even have to fill out the TMDSAS.:)

But really...I know folks that didn't make it on there. If everyone was automatically on it, would they have gone through the trouble?:thumbdown:

No, I explicitly asked that question when I called the admissions office. They told me there's about 200 people on the list and about 15 normally get pulled off it. Pretty much the same thing as Galveston come to think of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I explicitly asked that question when I called the admissions office. They told me there's about 200 people on the list and about 15 normally get pulled off it. Pretty much the same thing as Galveston come to think of it.

Ah, ok. I don't like those odds, I wish it was 50 like someone said earlier.

yeah, honestly they know that you're busy and 6 months isn't a huge amount of time to save the world. plus, they want to see dedication and committment. i personally had a well-rounded application in terms of extracurriculars/activities so that wasn't an issue. i suppose if one was lacking in an area it would be worthwhile to address any amends made. i thought of the letters as another place to say those things and make those connections that you didn't have a chance to put forward in your personal statement and/or interview. of course, i am just someone who enjoys writing those types of flowery, metaphor-infused, english major-esque big picture statements on the meaning of medicine and life ;)

as far as the email or snail mail, i did both; i mean, if anything is worth a click of a button AND $0.42, this is! i honestly don't think it hurts to send it both ways. if anything it shows how much you want it. i am personally a fan of handwritten cards, letters, etc. so i always love mailing things when the opportunity presents itself. good luck, and glad i could help a bit!

thank you thank you thank you! and good luck to you at UTH!!!

did anyone else get that 'why i didn't choose unthsc'* email survey from tcom? :eek:

...and fill it out?

*my paraphrase...can't remember the actual survey title.

did anyone else get that 'why i didn't choose unthsc'* email survey from tcom? :eek:

...and fill it out?

If e-mails like that are being sent out, I urge you folks to consider taking the time to fill them out. The MD research task force would surely benefit from your info. All these people on campus are screaming their opinion, but very few people on campus are actual applicants.

If e-mails like that are being sent out, I urge you folks to consider taking the time to fill them out. The MD research task force would surely benefit from your info. All these people on campus are screaming their opinion, but very few people on campus are actual applicants.

Agreed.

...and fill it out?

Yup, they were nice enough to interview me. Why not?

I'm on the waitlist at Tech. :)

Not sure if it means much though. Does anyone know if they put everyone who interviewed and wasn't accepted on the list?

Hey guys, just wanted to post a bit of great news for patients and health care providers alike.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29430737/

Well, I sure hope that last part about them writing a clear-cut conscience law is true - I would not perform abortions as a doctor and I sure hope the government would protect my right to decline to violate my own beliefs.

If it really covered pharmacists refusing to sell B/C, then yeah it should have been changed. However, there needs to be some protection for physicians having particular beliefs and I don't see how completely taking that off the table would be helpful to anyone.

Hey guys, just wanted to post a bit of great news for patients and health care providers alike.

That doesn't really seem to help anyone.

Well, I sure hope that last part about them writing a clear-cut conscience law is true - I would not perform abortions as a doctor and I sure hope the government would protect my right to decline to violate my own beliefs.

If it really covered pharmacists refusing to sell B/C, then yeah it should have been changed. However, there needs to be some protection for physicians having particular beliefs and I don't see how completely taking that off the table would be helpful to anyone.
Oh boy! It's been awhile since we've had one of these. Just when I was getting bored.:corny:

I am not sure who that is good for- the women who will have to live their whole life knowing they killed their child- I have seen too many of these women who 15 years later realize what they did...

Also, I won't be performing selective abortions... I understand that if the women's life is at risk that is one thing but won't perform one for ANY other reason... and no government can change that...basically I want to be a doctor more than words can express but I would lay it all down in a heartbeat if it meant killing a baby (and to me life begins at conception!)

For those of us Pro-Life you might be more interested in this article
http://www.poe-news.com/stories.php?poeurlid=79978

Listen, I have a 19 year old friend with an amazing and very tight body. Her stomach is perfect and her breasts defy gravity. She accidentally got pregnant about 8 months ago and when I heard that it was devastating to me. The thought of that stomach being full of stretch marks and loose skin and her breasts sagging was very sad to think about. Luckily she made the right decision and had an abortion. She is very happy with her decision and said that the abortion procedure really was not uncomfortable. It would have been far worse if she had ruined her body at such a young age and severely lowered her mating status.

Listen, I have a 19 year old friend with an amazing and very tight body. Her stomach is perfect and her breasts defy gravity. She accidentally got pregnant about 8 months ago and when I heard that it was devastating to me. The thought of that stomach being full of stretch marks and loose skin and her breasts sagging was very sad to think about. Luckily she made the right decision and had an abortion. She is very happy with her decision and said that the abortion procedure really was not uncomfortable. It would have been far worse if she had ruined her body at such a young age and severely lowered her mating status.

I feel like you're just trying to get a rise out of people. Regardless of whether you think a fetus is a human being or not, getting an abortion for looks is obviously just awful. I think I will disregard your comments in the future.

you're not being serious are you? I'm def. for the women's right to choose, but not for anything remotely dealing with looks

:troll:

I feel like you're just trying to get a rise out of people. Regardless of whether you think a fetus is a human being or not, getting an abortion for looks is obviously just awful. I think I will disregard your comments in the future.
Emu, if the best thing I had to do with my time was to make postings "to get a rise out of people" who I don't even know, I would seriously need to examine whether my life was worth it. That's not the case however.
Feel free to disregard my comments, but that obviously doesn't mean they don't have merit.

Wow... Just... wow.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

coudn't find anything better to do on a saturday, sno?

personally, i'm off to finally see Push... i'm kinda surprised that the movie hasn't created more commotion (maybe that's a sign it's no good?)... but oh well, there's not much else out.

Haha, I am a bit slow but I just realized that next year there will be an aggie08 and a (M)aggie08 at TTU:laugh::laugh::laugh:

personally, i'm off to finally see Push... i'm kinda surprised that the movie hasn't created more commotion (maybe that's a sign it's no good?)... but oh well, there's not much else out.

The trailers kinda have that not-gonna-be-great smell to them, but tell us how it goes!

EDIT: Funky, what the heck is up with that avatar. Are you microwaving fruits and vegetables? I don't know which going to seize up first...my brain or my computer.:laugh:

Last edited:
...but that obviously doesn't mean they don't have merit.

"Merit". Absolutely hysterical.

But you're right, Emu ignoring your posts does not deny merit in what you say; I dare say that you're able to do that quite successfully all on your own.

I find myself wondering what value you believe rests in humanity, if you believe it does at all. And if it doesn't, I wonder to myself, "why on earth does this guy want to be a doctor?"

You sadden me, DrSno. It's not an expression of pity, and not one of superiority; it's one of a genuine sadness that a person who is as bright as you seem to be could waste himself like he has.

I just have to share with everyone my realization: this is one instance where plastic surgery would have actually SAVED A LIFE!!

EDIT: Funky, what the heck is up with that avatar. Are you microwaving fruits and vegetables? I don't know which going to seize up first...my brain or my computer.:laugh:

I like it... I saw it on a really old thread, did some googling and found it...:D

I find myself wondering what value you believe rests in humanity, if you believe it does at all. And if it doesn't,

You sadden me, DrSno. It's not an expression of pity, and not one of superiority; it's one of a genuine sadness that a person who is as bright as you seem to be could waste himself like he has.
So those of us who are pro-choice believe humanity has no value?
Those of us who are pro-choice have wasted ourselves?
Really?
Do you realize that the majority of the country and the majority of people here on SDN are pro-choice?

So those of us who are pro-choice believe humanity has no value?
Those of us who are pro-choice have wasted ourselves?
Really?
Do you realize that the majority of the country and the majority of people here on SDN are pro-choice?

Oh no friend, I don't believe what those who are pro-choice believe humanity has no value. However, the least congruent set of ideas are those belonging to those who are outright, no-holds-barred "pro-choice" and those who value human dignity and life.

You have wasted yourself not because you are pro-choice, but because you can say exactly what you said (assuming you weren't joking) and still claim to believe in "human value".

Then again, I'd have to ask you what human value is to you in the first place. I can venture a guess, but I'd like to know what you sincerely and honestly think.

I'd also have to call in to question your statistics, by the way, and what purpose you think they should be serving. Even if a majority of U.S. citizens were pro-choice (which is an extremely suspect statement to begin with), the whole world can believe something and still be wrong.

Last edited:

:thumbdown: I can maybe think of worse things than the bolded part. In my opinion, it's the underlined part. Pretty selfish if you ask me. But that's just me.

:thumbdown:

I bet Sno will not be near as outspoken or opinionated in medical school. But give him a computer and internet anonymity and look at him go!

Jonhasaheart, you'll have to keep us informed of Sno's behavior in med school. I bet 100 bucks you'll never even know who Sno is as he hides in the masses of the class.

Jonhasaheart, you'll have to keep us informed of Sno's behavior in med school. I bet 100 bucks you'll never even know who Sno is as he hides in the masses of the class.

:laugh::claps::laugh:

that is exactly what went through my mind when i kept pestering him about posting an mdapps...:rolleyes:

chicken! :D

in other more depressing news, i'm sure everyone's already heard this by now--but just in case there's anyone that checks only sdn (hey, we're pre-med-ers afterall)...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29447376/

:laugh::claps::laugh:

that is exactly what went through my mind when i kept pestering him about posting an mdapps...:rolleyes:

chicken! :D

in other more depressing news, i'm sure everyone's already heard this by now--but just in case there's anyone that checks only sdn (hey, we're pre-med-ers afterall)...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29447376/

Never heard of him:oops:

I bet Sno will not be near as outspoken or opinionated in medical school.
Hahaha, guys, listen and try to understand. Nothing I have said on here is radical in any way. Most abortion polls (look them up) show that around 25% of the country say that abortion should be legal under any circumstance. An additional 20-25% usually respond that abortions should be legal with some restrictions. If it comes up in med school I would say that I am pro-choice. I'm not going to randomly turn to the student next to me and start talking abortion though.

Edit: Ok I went ahead and found some of the polls.
http://www.pollingreport.com/abortion.htm

I just wanted to add that DrSno's views are not representative of everyone who is pro-choice. I am pro-choice; however, I personally would never condone an abortion solely to avoid stretch marks. (And, while unimportant to this conversation, I also believe that a mother's body is beautiful; it's not like women lose appeal after giving birth.)

I am surprised how flippantly you discuss abortions, DrSno. In my opinion, being pro-choice does not mean being pro-abortion. An abortion is never a good or "happy" thing, but I do not want to get into the specifics considering this thread has already had the abortion debate.

While you may be with the majority of the country by being pro-choice, I do not believe that a majority of pro-choice people would find the insensitive attitude with which you discuss abortions to be appropriate.

Sorry if this post seemed really random. I just feel the need to clarify why I think the post was so offensive to pro-choice people as well.

If it comes up in med school I would say that I am pro-choice. I'm not going to randomly turn to the student next to me and start talking abortion though.

Just like I thought, a message board tough guy that is quiet as a mouse in person. When it comes up in med school why don't you man up and spew out what you have been saying here rather than taking the cowardly way out and simply saying you are pro-choice?

I am pro-choice and have no problem saying it so don't try and turn this into a pro-life vs. pro-choice issue. People, regardless of their stance, will take issue with your immature, insensitive comments on abortion and I think we'd all be better served taking Aggie08's advice and not feeding this troll any longer whenever he posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.