The Republic of Texas XXVI: Big Trucks, Big Guns, Big Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of him:oops:

seriously? ...for real?!?!?!

ok that's it: you can't come to texas... better yet, come here but forever wear an "A" on your chest for "anti-american"... you might as well have just damned granny's apple pie or hot dogs at a baseball game! :smuggrin: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

EDIT: Funky, what the heck is up with that avatar. Are you microwaving fruits and vegetables? I don't know which going to seize up first...my brain or my computer.:laugh:

omg. i am in love with funky's avatar :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
55 degrees with snow left on the ground. :D I was thinking it would be way nicer down in Texas but Houston is 54 on weather.com :eek:

Sigh.

So how 'bout the weather, folks?

Haha, I loved this transition

Currently in Phoenix and it's about 84 right now. First week in March and we will hit the 90s this week :) But seriously, the weather is not worth it! TX is home and one of a kind

Last edited:
Today was a wonderful day in South Texas. Nice and cool at about 73 all day; clear sky, bright sun, nice breeze, clean sunset. A great day to be witness to. :D

We're gonna get almost 10 inches of snow tonight in the NYC area :( I can't wait to be back in TX!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Most of you guys are having some splendid weather right now. We're on the tail end of a cold front today. This morning it was 33, with a 20s windchill. I was all ready to bust out my signature jorts, but it appears God had other plans.

why did Slumdog Millionaire win so many awards? I didn't think it was very good. I liked Benjamin Button and Batman a lot more.

The weather in Atlanta is crazy- it was snowing/icing today and a lot of schools are canceled tomorrow... I really hope mine does so soon!

I just got back from Gatlinburg TN though and it was amazing nice snow today and the skiing was awesome...it was my first time to ski in years and I loved it!

Oh and I haven't seen Slumdog yet but a lot of people I know really liked it... I thought Kate W. was amazing in "The Reader" the book is still better than the movie but the movie was phenomenal! ~ does that tell you my stance on the book???

The weather in Atlanta is crazy- it was snowing/icing today and a lot of schools are canceled tomorrow... I really hope mine does so soon!

Word. The weather in Atlanta was ridiculous today. I've never seen snow fall that hard before, though I am from Houston. I don't think Emory's classes are canceled for tomorrow :(

Listen, I have a 19 year old friend with an amazing and very tight body. Her stomach is perfect and her breasts defy gravity. She accidentally got pregnant about 8 months ago and when I heard that it was devastating to me. The thought of that stomach being full of stretch marks and loose skin and her breasts sagging was very sad to think about. Luckily she made the right decision and had an abortion. She is very happy with her decision and said that the abortion procedure really was not uncomfortable. It would have been far worse if she had ruined her body at such a young age and severely lowered her mating status.

This is the best thing I've read all week. Girls should make themselves as hot as possible! That's the best thing to do in life.......time to go look at more hot girls....like Natalie Portman...I'd be A-OK if she got an abortion

Edit: don't drink so much next time

Last edited:
Ok, I am sorry for the offending post. I wrote it while very angry as a response to justdoit, a poster who really gets under my skin (few people can). My posting didn't tell the whole story. I apologize to those who it offended and hopefully there won't need to be any more hostile replies to it.

why did Slumdog Millionaire win so many awards? I didn't think it was very good. I liked Benjamin Button and Batman a lot more.

I liked Benjamin Button - good artistic makeup, etc. but it wasn't my favorite movie. I wouldn't see it again (that takes a lot for me anyway).

I LOVED Slumdog. It instantly became one of my favorites. I don't know why, it just seemed like one of the most original movies I'd seen in a while. And, whether or not it actually was I don't know, but it seemed very genuinely representative of life in Mumbai.

Ok, I am sorry for the offending post. I wrote it while very angry as a response to justdoit, a poster who really gets under my skin (few people can). My posting didn't tell the whole story. I apologize to those who it offended and hopefully there won't need to be any more hostile replies to it.

I am sorry if I get under your skin but my response to your original post was to just say that your statement that everyone will benefit from this resending was an exaggeration and not truthful. I would also like to say that 2-3 other people said the same basic opinion I did before I was commented but if you want to call me out so be it. I would like to say sorry again for making you upset.

As an individual I am pro-life. However, I don't have an overwhelming issue with Roe V. Wade (ie- I will not be the one fighting to overturn it; thought I would vote to get rid of it if opportunity came )... I do however have an issue with anyone attempting to take away my autonomy to decide that I won't perform an abortion. In those polls you posted I would be in the category of wanting a list of exceptions for abortion- I feel there are situations that a women should be able to have an abortion- such as rape and incest.... But I believe if a women decides to have sex she should realize pregnancy is a possibility and be ready to take the consequences.

Again- sorry if I get to you.... I simply state my opinion and I know there are people on this forum who agree with me and some who agree with you- that is one of the amazing benefits we have from living in the United States! Life would be so boring if we all the same thoughts and opinions- I found in my bioethics class that by listening to the opinions of others you will be even more able to determine why you have your opinion.

Last edited:
I must say I honestly see nothing wrong with the situation he proposed (real or imagined), and that is coming from an expectant father (next week!!!). If a woman honestly thinks that way, in this overpopulating world, I really don't want that child entering this world under her rule. The situation is much better than the drug addicts who go through with the pregnancy to literally throw the baby away (if its not a still born anyway), because an abortion procedure would cost them a few more hits.

For the pro-lifers, you must at least recognize the fundamental difference between your crowd and the pro-choice crowd is the definition of life. As the majority of the pro-choice crowd defines the fetus (especially in the first weeks) as not yet alive, to say that the abortion was done in the name of beauty really is about the same as liposuction. The bottom line: let's remove living cells from the body to make sure the person looks pleasing to others. Now if you are fundamentally opposed to liposuction, I guess I can see your anger (I think its stupid, but see nothing morally offensive to it).

I guess I just don't see why his post was considered offensive?

What offended me was the insensitivity. From my experience as a pro-choice woman, I have learned that while every woman should have the right to choose to continue her pregnancy or terminate her pregnancy, the decision is never easy, and definitely not as easy as deciding to get cosmetic surgery.

There are a lot of women who have chosen to abort and are very happy with their decision years down the road. However, there is a reason there is counseling provided at abortion clinics and that a woman choosing to abort is advised to surround herself with supportive friends and family. I believe DrSnos post disrespected the VERY difficult NON-superficial decision many women make.

And, whether or not it actually was I don't know, but it seemed very genuinely representative of life in Mumbai.

I haven't seen Slumdog yet, but this is a criticism I read a long time ago: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rant...yous-Celebration-Of-Indian-Culture-11514.html

In addition, I have a friend who was born and lived for awhile in India, and he says this (although he has not seen the movie either):

the producer knew nothing about india... he took his preconceived notions, went to india, spent 6 months figuring out how he could fit those notions into the indian situation, and made a bs movie. Why is it that all movies based on india have to portray it as either vile and immoral or a mysterious f*cking jungle?

I personally can't say anything about the legitimacy of these arguments. However, it does seem, to me, there are a few grumblers about the 'representativeness'.

There is also a broad academic theory called 'Orientalism' by Edward Sa'id about how the ability to represent others in the way you choose is a form of power: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism

Oh, and I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this weekend.

So good :D
Haven't seen a movie that made me so fuzzily happy in such a long time!

/recommend

What offended me was the insensitivity. From my experience as a pro-choice woman, I have learned that while every woman should have the right to choose to continue her pregnancy or terminate her pregnancy, the decision is never easy, and definitely not as easy as deciding to get cosmetic surgery.

There are a lot of women who have chosen to abort and are very happy with their decision years down the road. However, there is a reason there is counseling provided at abortion clinics and that a woman choosing to abort is advised to surround herself with supportive friends and family. I believe DrSnos post disrespected the VERY difficult NON-superficial decision many women make.
I already apologized for the posting. But you need to realize that it's not a big and difficult decision for all females who choose abortion. The friend I posted about didn't have a hard time making the decision. She's 19, single, and not financially stable so the decision was obvious to her. Plus she doesn't believe in god or souls or anything else magical so that didn't add unnecessary pain for her. Her cousin (also a friend of mine) also recently had an abortion and said that the decision was not difficult for her. But I do understand that for many females it would be a tough decision (mainly because of how Americans think about humans, unlike most first world countries) so that's why I apologized for coming off as insensitive.

Well, so long Texas thread.

Just got a call today that I've been accepted to the University of Washington! I'll be getting scholarships my first year to bring my tuition down to in-state level and will qualify for in-state tuition starting second year. I'll be giving up my seat at UTSW. Good luck to everyone.

With all respect, just because the decision wasn't easy for you doesn't make it "never easy." There are many women out there who have had countless abortions, and do not struggle with the moral ramifications much like yourself. I personally know women who have found out they were pregnant and followed suit with abortion faster than I struggled with the concept/risk of laser eye surgery. Before you attack, yes I recognize that abortions are on an expedited processing time, as there is only so long of a window to follow through, and yes, I recognize you cannot quantitatively compare 'difficulty of choice,' but I would be willing to say that in this case, on a personal level, I honestly worried more about the eye surgery than she did over the abortion without question.

I am not saying it is right or wrong - simply that it does, in fact, happen; just because your case wasn't superficial, I don't see how you can take offense to his post.

Example: I had a friend who "became Jewish" in the military to get out of Friday evening formations (Jewish sabath). Just because one may spend years of dedicated study to adopt a religion for spiritual reasons, how can s/he become offended at my observation that this action occurs. It doesn't undermine her/his decision, but simply states that it happens.

Just got a call today that I've been accepted to the University of Washington! I'll be getting scholarships my first year to bring my tuition down to in-state level and will qualify for in-state tuition starting second year. I'll be giving up my seat at UTSW. Good luck to everyone.

Wow, congratulations! Guess the waitlist movement is about to start heating up.

I wasn't offended or being hostile, I was 100% serious...my sweet sweet Natalie-chan

With all respect, just because the decision wasn't easy for you doesn't make it "never easy." There are many women out there who have had countless abortions, and do not struggle with the moral ramifications much like yourself. I personally know women who have found out they were pregnant and followed suit with abortion faster than I struggled with the concept/risk of laser eye surgery. Before you attack, yes I recognize that abortions are on an expedited processing time, as there is only so long of a window to follow through, and yes, I recognize you cannot quantitatively compare 'difficulty of choice,' but I would be willing to say that in this case, on a personal level, I honestly worried more about the eye surgery than she did over the abortion without question.

I am not saying it is right or wrong - simply that it does, in fact, happen; just because your case wasn't superficial, I don't see how you can take offense to his post.

Example: I had a friend who "became Jewish" in the military to get out of Friday evening formations (Jewish sabath). Just because one may spend years of dedicated study to adopt a religion for spiritual reasons, how can s/he become offended at my observation that this action occurs. It doesn't undermine her/his decision, but simply states that it happens.

I get the feeling that you think this is personal for me, but I have never had to choose whether to carry on with a pregnancy or abort. I support the pro choice agenda and volunteer for organizations like planned parenthood. I only say that because you seem to say I am only one person so what I say carries no weight. Fortunately everything I have experienced has been from the outside. While I am sure the decision may not take long to come to, there are still often emotional ramifications. Maybe for some there are not, but for many there are. I have never met a woman whose sole reason for abortion was her fear of sagging breasts. That's all I'm saying...it's a subject in my opinion that requires sensitivity.

And sno...my second post was not in response to you. Sorry for the confusion.

Also it seemed that sno initially saw nothing "off" about only considering physical attractiveness when considering abortion. While it may often be a reason among others, it is rarely the only reason or the main reason. That your friend "converted" for what may be considered the wrong reasons may be a fact, but is that behavior something you see nothing wrong with or something you would condone?

I already apologized for the posting. But you need to realize that it's not a big and difficult decision for all females who choose abortion. The friend I posted about didn't have a hard time making the decision. She's 19, single, and not financially stable so the decision was obvious to her. Plus she doesn't believe in god or souls or anything else magical so that didn't add unnecessary pain for her. Her cousin (also a friend of mine) also recently had an abortion and said that the decision was not difficult for her. But I do understand that for many females it would be a tough decision (mainly because of how Americans think about humans, unlike most first world countries) so that's why I apologized for coming off as insensitive.

troll.jpg

Do you care to back that second bold-faced postulation with any kind of facts? Do you have proof that a majority of first born countries don't believe that unborn children are alive? What do you mean by think about humans? That we're one of the few and far between countries that values life? I think murder is illegal in most first world countries. But whatever.

Wow, huge Congrats! And the waitlist movement begins.. IS or OOS?

EDIT: IS I gather? Again, congratsulations!

Last edited:
Also it seemed that sno initially saw nothing "off" about only considering physical attractiveness when considering abortion. While it may often be a reason among others, it is rarely the only reason or the main reason. That your friend "converted" for what may be considered the wrong reasons may be a fact, but is that behavior something you see nothing wrong with or something you would condone?

It is not my place to condone it - any of it. We allow freedom of religion in this country, so who cares the reasoning as to why you choose your religion? You have the freedom to choose. How can anyone say that his reason is better or worse than anyone else's? In the same argument, we allow abortions in this country. If it is legal to have one, who cares as to the reason. Whether the child has a terminal disease or a mother cares about her physical appearance, she has the right to choose.

Therefore, I still maintain, how do you take offense to it?

Gratz! Best of luck to you, and hope I get that seat :D

It is not my place to condone it - any of it. We allow freedom of religion in this country, so who cares the reasoning as to why you choose your religion? You have the freedom to choose. How can anyone say that his reason is better or worse than anyone else's? In the same argument, we allow abortions in this country. If it is legal to have one, who cares as to the reason. Whether the child has a terminal disease or a mother cares about her physical appearance, she has the right to choose.

Therefore, I still maintain, how do you take offense to it?

First off, sorry to anyone that finds this conversation to be annoying. I think it will be over soon.

I do not disagree with you about having the right to change religion or have an abortion based on your own values. I've said from the beginning that I'm pro choice after all. I also support the rights of the girl who had the abortion to stay "tight". I just think that from experience with other women, treating an abortion as a flippant superficial decision can be offensive. I think there was a lack of sensitivty towards a very sensitive subject is all. It's my opinion and I would never want to force you or anyone else to have to live by it. I was just sharing my thoughts.

Again sorry to anyone put off by this topic. I'm not usually so serious, I just felt like throwing in my .02.

Good luck to all waiting on schools!

I personally can't say anything about the legitimacy of these arguments. However, it does seem, to me, there are a few grumblers about the 'representativeness'.

There is also a broad academic theory called 'Orientalism' by Edward Sa'id about how the ability to represent others in the way you choose is a form of power: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism

this post is going to sound a bit rambling, so i'll apologize in advance. i just don't feel like putting too much thought into this.

anyways, i'll say right off that i thought slumdog was better than benjamin button. the story was fast-paced, well-edited, and - although it was a rather typical love story - managed to fit in so many original elements that it never felt contrived. benjamin button was good, but it was a bit too long, was an underwhelming adaptation of a story, and reminiscent of forrest gump (same screenwriter).

as to its offensiveness - i think it's about 50-50. many of my indian friends recommended it, if only b/c A.R. Rahman's song at the end; and if any of my friends didn't like it, they haven't told me. a few months ago i browsed an indian news website and readers' comments on the movie ranged from:
1) it's a great love story, go see it!
2) i'm glad americans are getting a glimpse of our movie experiences, bollywood, meet hollywood!
3) omg, anil kapoor!
4) this movie is offensive and totally unrepresentative of our country. people will believe we all live in slums
5) (and if you were a poor person) how dare you call me a "slumdog!"

anyways, my take on it was that it's basically an american adaptation of an indian experience. it's fiction, and an american attempt to see through indian eyes. i've never personally been inside an indian "slum," but i've been in similar ones in different parts of the world. i would say it was pretty accurate, aside from the violence and abuse (one at least hopes). i can see how some people from india may not be too keen on the idea that one of america's greatest hits happens to be on their slums and not of their beautiful assets, but that's assuming the people who are watching are not cultured in any way.

anyhoot, it doesn't surprise me it's won a lot of awards. some people like it, some people hate it, and for an array of reasons. i personally enjoyed it, but it's always a good idea to know what you're watching before you see it.

Life is easier with the ignore button.

this post is going to sound a bit rambling, so i'll apologize in advance. i just don't feel like putting too much thought into this.

anyways, i'll say right off that i thought slumdog was better than benjamin button. the story was fast-paced, well-edited, and - although it was a rather typical love story - managed to fit in so many original elements that it never felt contrived. benjamin button was good, but it was a bit too long, was an underwhelming adaptation of a story, and reminiscent of forrest gump (same screenwriter).

as to its offensiveness - i think it's about 50-50. many of my indian friends recommended it, if only b/c A.R. Rahman's song at the end; and if any of my friends didn't like it, they haven't told me. a few months ago i browsed an indian news website and readers' comments on the movie ranged from:
1) it's a great love story, go see it!
2) i'm glad americans are getting a glimpse of our movie experiences, bollywood, meet hollywood!
3) omg, anil kapoor!
4) this movie is offensive and totally unrepresentative of our country. people will believe we all live in slums
5) (and if you were a poor person) how dare you call me a "slumdog!"

anyways, my take on it was that it's basically an american adaptation of an indian experience. it's fiction, and an american attempt to see through indian eyes. i've never personally been inside an indian "slum," but i've been in similar ones in different parts of the world. i would say it was pretty accurate, aside from the violence and abuse (one at least hopes). i can see how some people from india may not be too keen on the idea that one of america's greatest hits happens to be on their slums and not of their beautiful assets, but that's assuming the people who are watching are not cultured in any way.

anyhoot, it doesn't surprise me it's won a lot of awards. some people like it, some people hate it, and for an array of reasons. i personally enjoyed it, but it's always a good idea to know what you're watching before you see it.

Greeeat post! :) if the medicine thing doesn't work out you should take a career as a movie critic. :p

So... I have been MIA from SDN for a while... and wow, things have changed on this board.
I wanted to come back and share some news for those of you about to apply to UTMB. UTMB now "officially" has the option of doing your whole 3rd year in Houston at St. Luke's. You can do all of 3rd year in Austin (about 40 spots), all of 3rd year in Galveston, or all of it in Houston. You also have the option of picking and choosing certain rotations away from your "home" site based on availability.

Alright, in keeping with my waitlist questions... when did A&M and company start moving waitlisters last year? I remember someone mentioning something about that, but I can't seem to find the post atm.

wow, things have changed on this board.
So, so true.

So I tried Shiner Black the other day. Fan-flipping-tastic. Nice dark, smoky taste. What a dark beer should be!

So, so true.

So I tried Shiner Black the other day. Fan-flipping-tastic. Nice dark, smoky taste. What a dark beer should be!

Haha, smoky? That somehow sounds very much unlike any flavor anyone would want to drink, but I guess I'll try it after Lent (gave up all booze besides the Sacramental kind) to give it a fair shot :p.

And AggieSean... I reckon you're right.

So, so true.

I love Shiner Black. One thing to note is that it's MUCH better from the bottle than the tap - it's hit or miss on tap.

I tried The Czar Imperial Stout by Avery the other day - that was a delicious beer. Very dark and chocolatey. Tried Anchor Porter as well, and it was kind of meh - not much flavor but alright.

So... I have been MIA from SDN for a while... and wow, things have changed on this board.
I wanted to come back and share some news for those of you about to apply to UTMB. UTMB now "officially" has the option of doing your whole 3rd year in Houston at St. Luke's. You can do all of 3rd year in Austin (about 40 spots), all of 3rd year in Galveston, or all of it in Houston. You also have the option of picking and choosing certain rotations away from your "home" site based on availability.

Sweet. Med school a la carte, very nice. I bet I know which option you'll be taking haha. Take care my friend.

That beer has yet to grow on me, but I'm not the biggest dirt...I mean dark beer fan. I think I like 1554 much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.