The Republic of Texas XXVI: Big Trucks, Big Guns, Big Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That beer has yet to grow on me, but I'm not the biggest dirt...I mean dark beer fan. I think I like 1554 much better.

:confused:

1554 is about as dark as they come, if you rule out things like imp. stouts

Members don't see this ad.

:confused:

1554 is about as dark as they come, if you rule out things like imp. stouts

I know...I that's why I used it as a comparison. For some reason I don't mind it, which is why I like it better than the Shiner:). I just don't get excited about most dark beers.

Hi guys, I'm applying for the next cycle and although I'm primarily doing AMCAS, I'm also thinking about doing the Texas application. However, I have a question I hope you all can answer first:

My situation is that I took a community college course (calculus) back in high school, but I never submitted it to my undergraduate school. However, I WILL be sending that CC transcript to AMCAS/TX app. Will that look weird to the medical schools when they see my undergraduate transcript and see that it does NOT have that community college course on it? Also, I ended up taking calculus again during undergrad so I'll have that listed on separate transcripts. Is that alright, or does it look bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I'm applying for the next cycle and although I'm primarily doing AMCAS, I'm also thinking about doing the Texas application. However, I have a question I hope you all can answer first:

My situation is that I took a community college course (calculus) back in high school, but I never submitted it to my undergraduate school. However, I WILL be sending that CC transcript to AMCAS/TX app. Will that look weird to the medical schools when they see my undergraduate transcript and see that it does NOT have that community college course on it? Also, I ended up taking calculus again during undergrad so I'll have that listed on separate transcripts. Is that alright, or does it look bad?

If you retook it as an undergrad, why even list the CC course? Why not just send the one transcript, end of story?

If you retook it as an undergrad, why even list the CC course? Why not just send the one transcript, end of story?
Well, AMCAS says I have to send in all my college transcripts, regardless of when I took them/if it was for a degree, so I assume I have to send in the CC transcript. I never sent my CC transcript to my undergrad b/c I didn't know it "counted," and was really just taking it for practice (very poor decision in hindsight). I'm wondering if I have to have that particular CC course on my undergrad transcipt, or if it's alright to keep it separate and just send it to the TX app service?

Well, AMCAS says I have to send in all my college transcripts, regardless of when I took them/if it was for a degree, so I assume I have to send in the CC transcript. I never sent my CC transcript to my undergrad b/c I didn't know it "counted," and was really just taking it for practice (very poor decision in hindsight). I'm wondering if I have to have that particular CC course on my undergrad transcipt, or if it's alright to keep it separate and just send it to the TX app service?

You clearly aren't using it for your degree. Its no different than if you took a caligraphy class from your CC at this point. I would just not include it.

You clearly aren't using it for your degree. Its no different than if you took a caligraphy class from your CC at this point. I would just not include it.
I see. You make a good point. So I guess as long as I send it in with my undergrad transcripts, I'll be fine? Like the TX med schools won't find it terribly odd? I hope some others can chime in.

I see. You make a good point. So I guess as long as I send it in with my undergrad transcripts, I'll be fine? Like the TX med schools won't find it terribly odd? I hope some others can chime in.

I'm sorry - *takes foot out of mouth* - I just read the TMDSAS website:

"Official college transcript(s) from ALL institutions attended must be submitted to TMDSAS directly from EACH academic institution attended. Official transcripts will be necessary for all undergraduate, graduate and professional coursework. Transcripts must be submitted from each school attended even if:

• Coursework appears as transfer credit on another school’s transcript
    • Coursework does not count toward a degree
    • Coursework was taken while attending high school"
List it.

I'm sorry - *takes foot out of mouth* - I just read the TMDSAS website:

"Official college transcript(s) from ALL institutions attended must be submitted to TMDSAS directly from EACH academic institution attended. Official transcripts will be necessary for all undergraduate, graduate and professional coursework. Transcripts must be submitted from each school attended even if:

• Coursework appears as transfer credit on another school’s transcript
    • Coursework does not count toward a degree
    • Coursework was taken while attending high school"
List it.
I see. Thanks for the information. I would've sent in both transcripts anyway. I'm just wondering if it looks odd to the medical schools to see that I didn't transfer a "for a grade" class from CC to undergrad? Does not transferring "usable" credits from CC-to-undergrad happen often?

I see. Thanks for the information. I would've sent in both transcripts anyway. I'm just wondering if it looks odd to the medical schools to see that I didn't transfer a "for a grade" class from CC to undergrad? Does not transferring "usable" credits from CC-to-undergrad happen often?

I have had friends who have had this happen and it was no biggie. For all that they know, they will probably assume it wasn't transferrable. Just list it all and send the transcripts and I am almost sure it won't be an issue.

By the way--apply early. If you are going to do tmdsas , be ready to submit in may. Get organized with all your letters of rec, ecs, transcripts etc NOW so you can submit early as poosible. Good luck!!!!!

I know...I that's why I used it as a comparison. For some reason I don't mind it, which is why I like it better than the Shiner:). I just don't get excited about most dark beers.

Ahh, gotcha :cool:

I have had friends who have had this happen and it was no biggie. For all that they know, they will probably assume it wasn't transferrable. Just list it all and send the transcripts and I am almost sure it won't be an issue.

By the way--apply early. If you are going to do tmdsas , be ready to submit in may. Get organized with all your letters of rec, ecs, transcripts etc NOW so you can submit early as poosible. Good luck!!!!!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: (s)he speaks truth.

Is arthurg the first c/o '14 person to drop by our thread?

Thank you! I was worried that not transferring that CC calculus class was going to look suspicious. I honestly just never transferred it when I applied to college becuase I didn't know it "counted." So as long as I send it in with my undergrad transcripts, I'll be safe, and the medical schools won't think twice about why that CC calculus class isn't listed as a transfer credit on my undergrad transcript?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: (s)he speaks truth.

Is arthurg the first c/o '14 person to drop by our thread?
Wow, really? I feel so special. :D To be honest, I've been lurking for awhile before I finally decided to make an account, and chances are, I may go back to lurking unless I have any big questions later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Introducing: Bizkit the sleepwalking dog

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QrGDmJdaeI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BgjH_CtIA[/youtube]

hahaha awesome. :D i wonder what he was... catching.

Introducing: Bizkit the sleepwalking dog

[youtube]6QrGDmJdaeI[/youtube]

[youtube]z2BgjH_CtIA[/youtube]

This second one is by far the best video I've seen in the last few months.

Dog is probably having a seizure

Dog is probably having a seizure
in what, a central pattern generator?

a lot of animals have little muscle twitches that look like they're running or talking when they sleep, this dog obviously just has much worse inhibition over its movement

in what, a central pattern generator?

a lot of animals have little muscle twitches that look like they're running or talking when they sleep, this dog obviously just has much worse inhibition over its movement

I'm sure the owners will be happy a vet has just diagnosed their dog and they have nothing to worry about.

as opposed to the guy who determined it to be a seizure....

why be a jerk about it?

Cujo...named after a big mean dog....being mean to a big dog....whatever :laugh:

had an amazing discovery today:
http://www.fmylife.com/

enjoy.

This is what I do in class on my ipod touch when I am bored, which is pretty much all the time. Some of the stories are crude but they're all hilarious. Actually me an my friends now use that phrase on a regular basis haha

Haha, that reminds me of this. I wonder if this is classified as a Schedule 1 drug? Two of these a day keeps everything away.

fukitol.jpg

Oh oh oh I found one!

#122918: "Today, while working on a medical school application, I asked my mom what she thought my greatest challenge in life had been. She replied, 'Trying to lose your virginity.' FML"

:laugh:

If you get addicted to things easily, don't go to this site:

http://www.listverse.com

edit: or this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_articles
Peanut butter as a shaving gel. This is the kind of stuff my friends hate having to listen to LOL

Because I am on this stupid iPod touch I can't post the link, but the wiki link above has the article to square root day! A friend sent it to me and her other "science/math nerd" friends. Yesterday was one....3/3/09. Get it?

Yeah, I actually miss school.

Last edited:
A heads up for next year's male interviewees: Sickdeals.net has posted an incredible deal on some shirts at JC Penny. 2 for $10. At this point you may have to settle for an "athletic" cut, but at worst, you may just end up with some nice shirts for charity.

A heads up for next year's male interviewees: Sickdeals.net has posted an incredible deal on some shirts at JC Penny. 2 for $10. At this point you may have to settle for an "athletic" cut, but at worst, you may just end up with some nice shirts for charity.
they also say it's only on the striped shirts, which would be unusual/different for an interview shirt.

they also say it's only on the striped shirts, which would be unusual/different for an interview shirt.

Eh. There is nothing wrong with a striped shirt. I wore striped shirts to a couple of interviews (still fairly conservative though; not flamboyant). I would guess the adcom and interviewers get tired of seeing black suites with white shirts after a while.

Eh. There is nothing wrong with a striped shirt. I wore striped shirts to a couple of interviews (still fairly conservative though; not flamboyant). I would guess the adcom and interviewers get tired of seeing black suites with white shirts after a while.

I personally liked a nice, solid light blue shirt for my interviews :)

there's no doubt that they can be pulled off nicely. one of my favorite shirts to wear with a tie is a nice fine-striped shirt. the emphasis is on pulling off nicely though, not wearing a loud shirt with a hideous tie.

though from what I've seen at interviews, it's pretty apparent that acceptances cannot be based on fashion sense.

there's no doubt that they can be pulled off nicely. one of my favorite shirts to wear with a tie is a nice fine-striped shirt. the emphasis is on pulling off nicely though, not wearing a loud shirt with a hideous tie.

though from what I've seen at interviews, it's pretty apparent that acceptances cannot be based on fashion sense.

srsly, i saw some girls wearing ill-fitting, frumpy suits with hideous orthopedic type shoes. some of them couldn't manage to even put a comb through their hair.

i also saw a girl at San Antonio that was wearing a sleeveless sparkly halter clubbing type top with a REALLY bad sunburn. I could see the girl's entire back and she was all pasty with red splotches.

srsly, i saw some girls wearing ill-fitting, frumpy suits with hideous orthopedic type shoes. some of them couldn't manage to even put a comb through their hair.

i also saw a girl at San Antonio that was wearing a sleeveless sparkly halter clubbing type top with a REALLY bad sunburn. I could see the girl's entire back and she was all pasty with red splotches.

:eek:

Epic fail.

I saw a girl wearing shorts. SHORTS.

when i was meeting with interviewees this year, i spotted this one guy in a blue striped seersucker jacket with khaki pants. i thought maybe he was a friend of somebody or a student helping or something. then, i realized that he was an applicant.

he looked like the good humor man or something.

when i was meeting with interviewees this year, i spotted this one guy in a blue striped seersucker jacket with khaki pants. i thought maybe he was a friend of somebody or a student helping or something. then, i realized that he was an applicant.

he looked like the good humor man or something.

I saw some guy on one of my interviews wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I could tell he was VERY embarrassed that he didn't "get the memo" that you wear suits to this sort of thing when he showed up and saw everyone looking like they were at a funeral. I really felt bad for him.

had an amazing discovery today:
http://www.fmylife.com/

enjoy.

haha. yes the fmylife website. what's sad is that after being introduced to this site a few weeks back i was chatting online to a good friend of mine. i introduced him to the site and we were sending each other some back and forth we thought we really funny. well i sent him one that kinda went like "Today, my mom and I were fighting and I told her I was a lesbian. As she stormed off I yelled f*** y** and she replied that I bet I would love to". well, he thought I meant myself. i was like wtf. FML.... i've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years!

:rolleyes:

You forgot to start off with "Today," :)

Status
Not open for further replies.