The Republic of Texas XXVI: Big Trucks, Big Guns, Big Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on second thought, this article can't be real...

Members don't see this ad.

You have GOT to be kidding me!! this is the most hilarious thing i've ever heard :rofl:

I read something similar to this, where the couple was infertile because they had just been having anal, and not vaginal, sex.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read something similar to this, where the couple was infertile because they had just been having anal, and not vaginal, sex.

Wow. I guess that's Darwin at work.

Since it's quiet around here, let me share something that should scare you for the parent's of your future (or current) children's friends.

http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/f...spx?MsdVisit=1

How do you get to the age where you marry & have kids and be that ignorant about your body.....

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/archive/tags/Irish+Twins/default.aspx

"six or seven months" apart...while its clearly wrong (they are more like 15 months apart), people honestly think this can and does happen. 9 months to make a baby, 6 or 7 months apart...I guess you can kinda see her concern...if nothing else, at least she is attempting to learn more about pregnancy...much more than can be said about way too many mothers

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/archive/tags/Irish+Twins/default.aspx

"six or seven months" apart...while its clearly wrong (they are more like 15 months apart), people honestly think this can and does happen. 9 months to make a baby, 6 or 7 months apart...I guess you can kinda see her concern...if nothing else, at least she is attempting to learn more about pregnancy...much more than can be said about way too many mothers
irish twins are born within the same year. so the mother would have to get pregnant within 2-3 months of giving birth.

I remember hearing a News From Lake Woebegone where two kids were born 9 months and 10 minutes apart. :D

Anyone else with acceptances feel like saying **** school? Senioritis is really starting to get me, bad. C's get degrees I guess :D

Anyone else with acceptances feel like saying **** school? Senioritis is really starting to get me, bad. C's get degrees I guess :D

Haha, I guess so!

I have to do some final number crunching for my senior project that I have had three months to do. I haven't even looked at the binder since December, haha.

Morning classes are also seeming very hard to get to on time, if at all :laugh:.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wanting to just pass/fail my developmental bio class...everything seems so "out there"...Bicoid, morphogens, A/P patterning...blah :thumbdown:
(however, neural tube closure defects are quite interesting) :thumbup:

OMG I have senioritis so freakin bad. My problem is I have to make A's in my 2 classes (yes, 2, I'm pathetic but in my defense I'm working like 30 hours a week and they are hard classes) this semester to graduate w/ honors cause I kinda slacked last semester. I don't particularly care about 2 words on my diploma but my mom is on my case EVERY DAY about it. I just feel like telling her to bug off cause I'm already in and basically I want to relax now while I can. She thinks I should bust my butt this semester because she's allowing me to quit my job to take 1 whole month off (woo a month)....I just don't see it that way.

OMG I have senioritis so freakin bad. My problem is I have to make A's in my 2 classes (yes, 2, I'm pathetic but in my defense I'm working like 30 hours a week and they are hard classes) this semester to graduate w/ honors cause I kinda slacked last semester. I don't particularly care about 2 words on my diploma but my mom is on my case EVERY DAY about it. I just feel like telling her to bug off cause I'm already in and basically I want to relax now while I can. She thinks I should bust my butt this semester because she's allowing me to quit my job to take 1 whole month off (woo a month)....I just don't see it that way.

Those two little words are nice...speaking as someone who didn't go str8 from UG to med school, those two words add a lot to your resume

holy crap! i'm in the exact same position! got a C last semester which brought my gpa down to a 3.497

3.497!!!!

i'm an honors research fellow graduate--already wrote my frikin thesis..

i've also already completed all my 30 extra hours of honors course work to get the university studies distinction.

but if i dont get my gpa up those 3/1000ths, i lose it all.

plus i'm taking 16 hours of some crazy tough s***.

On my own, i can do it... but for two of my classes (thermodynamcs lab and quantum mechanics lab) and we have these massive lab reports (40-60pages) that have to be submitted every three weeks. it's literally too much work for one person, so we're placed in groups of 4, and the reports have to be submitted together.

plus, out of some random scheduling quirk (or joke of satan's), each time my lab reports are due at 11am on the SAME FRICKIN DAY every single time... (this is despite the fact that one of the classes is on a tues and one is on a thurs)

and i'm the only one in either of my groups that gives a crap this semester... they all just want to graduate and/or settle for a B, and the effort they're putting forth on the lab reports show it. BUT WE'RE GRADED AS A WHOLE GROUP!!! I already wrote one of them on my own because my group refused to put out quality work (had to pull 3 all-nighters in row, yes THREE, and that was in addition to working on it all day when not in class)... but for the rest of the semester i have tests the same week as they're due, so i can't keep putting in that kind of time.

ok end ranting novel.

i'm getting off sdn to go do some more homework... FML.

Last edited:
I wish my job didn't pay so well, or that I was independently wealthy. I would love to quit work right about now

At least I'm not still in school :p

I wish my job didn't pay so well, or that I was independently wealthy. I would love to quit work right about now

At least I'm not still in school :p
Agreed. My tolerance for my less capable coworkers is dwindling.

Agreed. My tolerance for my less capable coworkers is dwindling.
fortunately/unfortunately, the only person who is incapable and intolerable is my direct supervisor. which wasn't pay for the first 9 months or so, but lately she's gone into crazy mode and is constantly griping at me. work has been nearly unbearable for the last couple of months.

Is it true that you can transfer between the state medical schools in the Texas system, third year? As some of you guys know, I'm interested in a very competitive specialty, and I'm pretty sure I can make the grade, as I've already taken most of the first year medical school classes in a masters program. (and scored the A, med school classes are easy)

So, my main fear is that if my ERAS application says "Texas Tech", I won't be perceived the same as someone with identical boards with an ERAS that said "higher ranked Texas State school". Also, historically, UT-Houston has a much nicer match list.

I really liked Tech, I have no problems with finishing my degree there...but I also want a chance to achieve my dream. If I manage to honor every course and hit above 250 on the boards, is it likely that I would be able to transfer third year?

It kind of seems highly probable : only the top ~5% of the class is likely to achieve numbers that high, and even UTSW is going to have someone who drops out by third year. It's like swapping players on a sports team.

Is it true that you can transfer between the state medical schools in the Texas system, third year? As some of you guys know, I'm interested in a very competitive specialty, and I'm pretty sure I can make the grade, as I've already taken most of the first year medical school classes in a masters program. (and scored the A, med school classes are easy)

So, my main fear is that if my ERAS application says "Texas Tech", I won't be perceived the same as someone with identical boards with an ERAS that said "higher ranked Texas State school". Also, historically, UT-Houston has a much nicer match list.

I really liked Tech, I have no problems with finishing my degree there...but I also want a chance to achieve my dream. If I manage to honor every course and hit above 250 on the boards, is it likely that I would be able to transfer third year?

It kind of seems highly probable : only the top ~5% of the class is likely to achieve numbers that high, and even UTSW is going to have someone who drops out by third year. It's like swapping players on a sports team.

then why exactly are you going to tech in the first place?

also, i keep hearing really conflicting things about stepI / grades and their importance in residency placement...

some seem to think they have about the same weight as mcat/ugrad grades did on matriculation... but then i've heard others flat out say they're irrelevent and what really matters is what you do 3-4th yrs...

got any insight on this?

then why exactly are you going to tech in the first place?

Did you read my post? I said "med school classes are easy". I also said "in a Master's program".

Ergo, one can deduce that I have the academic talent to excel, but must have scored a low undergrad GPA, such that Tech is the only school that accepted me. (since if I had scored a low MCAT, I would not be so certain of my ability to spank the USMLE, and I would have the option of retaking a low MCAT and reapplying. But, it's possible to make mistakes that ruin your GPA in a single semester, making it impossible to recover from then onwards.)

Did you read my post? I said "med school classes are easy". I also said "in a Master's program".

Ergo, one can deduce that I have the academic talent to excel, but must have scored a low undergrad GPA, such that Tech is the only school that accepted me.

i know, habeed... we've both been around here together long enough for me to know your story.

i just wanted to hear you say something exactly like ya did! lol! :laugh: :cool:

I have no idea about transfer policies, but the "even UTSW has someone that drops out" rationale doesn't really work for me because for the handful that drop out, you probably have a handful coming back from leaves of absence, MD/PhD, etc.

If you're so concerned about name, do an away rotation at Hopkins or somewhere in the specialty you are interested in. If you are as much of a superstar as you've convinced yourself that you are, then I seriously doubt the simple presence of "Texas Tech" would inhibit you from "achieving your dream".

Really, the way I see it, the whole acceptance to Texas Tech thing is actually helping you towards you dream, being that it is an accredited and fairly well regarded allopathic medical school that will give you every opportunity to graduate with an MD. That's my two cents, at least.

Those two little words are nice...speaking as someone who didn't go str8 from UG to med school, those two words add a lot to your resume

Yeah, and I'd probably care a lot more if I wasn't going straight there, ya know? It just seems like my med school GPA is going to be the one that matters in the long run.

Maggie....oh man I feel for ya, you've got a lot riding on those 3/1000ths! You make me feel like I'm complaining for nothing. :laugh: Good luck!!!! At least food tox will be an easy A!

Ergo, one can deduce that I have the academic talent to excel, but must have scored a low undergrad GPA, such that Tech is the only school that accepted me. (since if I had scored a low MCAT, I would not be so certain of my ability to spank the USMLE, and I would have the option of retaking a low MCAT and reapplying. But, it's possible to make mistakes that ruin your GPA in a single semester, making it impossible to recover from then onwards.)

I would be hesitant to be so confident that you will do well on Step 1 simply based on your (I presume) stellar performance on the MCAT. Upper-level med student friends of mine said that Step 1 makes the MCAT look like a cosmo love quiz. While this is, of course, an exaggeration, the take-home point is that just because you're a good standardized test taker does not automatically mean you will ace the test and don't have to worry about it. It's a different kind of test (less reasoning-based like the SAT and MCAT and more just over loads and loads of content). Also, just because the classes you took were easy for you does not mean the classes you take in an actual med school will be comparable. I don't know, I guess you just can't gauge how difficult it's gonna be until you are atually there...

Habeed, even though Tech may not be your first choice (it wasn't mine, either, and unless I get in off a waitlist at another school, that's where I will be going as well, which is fine...just not thrilled about Lubbock....perhaps we'll be classmates), you have to understand that residency matches cannot be predicted simply based on the school you go to and the matchings of students before you. Situations are different every year, and, as I am sure you've been told, it's your performance in med school, not the name of the institution, that really matters.

Relax. You're in medical school (congratulations!), which is truly a blessing and it's not something a lot of deserving--but unfortunate--applicants can say. I don't care what you want to do, whatever medical school you go to you will have just as good a chance of matching into that residency as the next guy given that you perform well enough. My point is, going to Tech will not put you at a disadvantage. I am sure there are kids who go to schools that are considered more prestigious but are unsuccessful in matching into their first-choice residency. Once you're in med school, it's like a clean slate.

And who knows...you may get in somewhere else in the near future. It's only early March for goodness' sake! You never know what could happen...

Maggie....oh man I feel for ya, you've got a lot riding on those 3/1000ths! You make me feel like I'm complaining for nothing. :laugh: Good luck!!!! At least food tox will be an easy A!

oh no, i'd say working 30hrs/week is definately worth complaining about... that youve got on me!

instead i think we should turn our complaining club into a hack-the-a&m-honors-office-ninja-club!!! haha!

hang in there... 8 more weeks.

lets hope it all goes down well :corny:

I hope you transfer well before third year.

Nope.

There are only a couple of reasons where the school admin will even consider thinking about allowing a transfer: moving to be with a spouse or a severe family illness. Not liking a school or wanting to transfer to a "better" school will just make the admin LOL at you. Sorry but that's how it is.

Also, not to be rude or anything, but I think you shouldn't complain about Tech. At least you have an acceptance. A TON of people would kill to be in your situation.

As it has been said a billion times on SDN, it does not matter where you go. What matters is your Step 1 score, LORs, and grades.

I hope you transfer well before third year.
people can only transfer between 2nd and 3rd year because everyone has taken the step 1 and are at the same level.

also, i keep hearing really conflicting things about stepI / grades and their importance in residency placement...

some seem to think they have about the same weight as mcat/ugrad grades did on matriculation... but then i've heard others flat out say they're irrelevent and what really matters is what you do 3-4th yrs...

got any insight on this?
Step 1 is extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely important. Some residencies won't even consider you unless you have a minimum score. People who say that your Step 1 score is irrelevant are 100% wrong.

Step 1 score >>>>>>>> 1st and 2nd year grades

Other things of high importance in residency placement are LORs and 3rd and 4th year grades.

people can only transfer between 2nd and 3rd year because everyone has taken the step 1 and are at the same level.
Actually, I believe Tulane allows transfers after 1st year, according to the AAMC website.

To add to my previous post, I knew this one guy that went to a UT medical school and wanted to transfer to a different UT med school because he hated the one that he was at and all of his friends were at the other one. Ironically, he was at a "higher ranked" TX school and wanted to go to a "lower ranked" one. This guy was incredibly smart but he was given a :thumbdown:

Transfers don't happen that often, and I suspect that you need a pretty dang good reason, which yours isn't.:)

You can't read match lists, but even if you could it'd be largely irrelevant. Statisically, there's no evidence that going to a higher ranked school will get you into a competitive specialty (there's some that suggests it can help you with moderate and lesser competitive ones...see the nrmp data), probably because the people who get into those are superstars that don't need the crutch a of school's name. You just need to focus on you, and you'll do fine if you have the stuff.

holy crap! i'm in the exact same position! got a C last semester which brought my gpa down to a 3.497

3.497!!!!

but if i dont get my gpa up those 3/1000ths, i lose it all.

Duuuuuuude.....

got any insight on this?

Yes, Step 1 is probably the most important single factor in getting an int, and slightly less but still important in getting ranked. It also depends a lot on specialty...FM programs may not emphasize it quite as much as say radiology. Remember that some programs use a Step 1 cutoff in their ERAS application filter. For example, UTMB's radiology program states upfont on their site that they don't int people with less than a 230 (national avg is about 217 I think), which means they probably never even see your app because it wouldn't make it past the filter. Step 1 and 3rd year grades are the most important by far.

Upper-level med student friends of mine said that Step 1 makes the MCAT look like a cosmo love quiz.

What the...do I have a twin somewhere?:)

Army, I'm citing you for avatar fail...it's like over a month since that event....

Upper-level med student friends of mine said that Step 1 makes the MCAT look like a cosmo love quiz. While this is, of course, an exaggeration
I certainly don't think it's an exaggeration :scared:

Hypothetically, say you were required to send in CC grades you had from HS when you applied for undergrad and did not, and then subsequently graduated, what would happen? If you sent those CC grades to TMDSAS would everything be alright?

just for the record, despite that one might think houston should have a "nicer" match list, they're actually not that different:

I just compared the two lists. UT-Houston does seem to have an edge, but the difference is not huge. And you're right about there being minimal statistical difference between medical schools on the national match statistics for competitive residencies. I got too lazy to count every single graduating student on the 2008 list you linked, since statistics are unavailable for that year.

If you scored well on the boards, it's partially a reflection of the medical school's ability to prepare students with the knowledge they need for the clinical years and residency. So the Residency director may think that Tech is a great medical school instead of it's "low ranked compared to other schools". Like others have said, you can do rotations and sub-I's at the programs you are interested in and SHOW that program that you have what it takes to be a sucess. That's my plan. Don't worry about where you are going, enjoy having a fresh start! :)

Haha, from late Dec...

I swear I didn't rip it!!! Brilliant minds.....

Perhaps you and my friend came up with it independently? He's never heard of SDN so...maybe a coincidence? Regardless, it's funny.

Perhaps you and my friend came up with it independently? He's never heard of SDN so...maybe a coincidence? Regardless, it's funny.

Well sure...like I said, brilliant minds;). Where does he attend?

just for the record, despite that one might think houston should have a "nicer" match list, they're actually not that different:

Houston

Tech

What criteria does one use to see how match lists compare? (First there's the normal "they don't mean a single thing" and then there's the battle royale between the two lists...) Is it where the residency is? or the specialty? combination? I feel like us pre-meds know nothing to be able to make any sense of it.

Please don't just flame me and say the lists don't matter, just answer the questions ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.