The Republic of Texas XXXIII: Lone Star State Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm having some trouble locating some information online or through searching the forum, any help would be appreciated.

First, can anyone find the Manziel School of Medicine's match list (TAMU)? I keep searching it and the top result is almost always TTUHSC's matches, which is not exactly what I need.

Second, and this may be a bit more, does anyone have a compiled list of match scores for the Texas schools?

I'm having a tough time figuring out my rankings between TTEP, UTHSCSA, and A&M. A bit of objective numbers might be a bit more helpful than my fretting.

Thanks

A&M gave us their match list on interview day. I don't think they published it online.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is any TX med school increasing the first year class size this year?

I don't think so. And if so, then not by much. Dell should be opening in the not so distant future to bring more docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
On my interview day at TCOM they mentioned that they are working to increase their class size to 240/year. It was awhile ago, but I vaguely remember them mentioning that all schools are working to increase their capacity as well.

On my interview day at TCOM they mentioned that they are working to increase their class size to 240/year. It was awhile ago, but I vaguely remember them mentioning that all schools are working to increase their capacity as well.
I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Tech Lubbock increased from 150 to 180 for either the entering class of 2014 or 2015, can't remember which one was said.

I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing...
I think it is a good thing. There are probably a lot of people who would be excellent physicians that are left on the outside looking in. When you get down towards the last few admissions to a class, I have a feeling that they are just splitting hairs in regards to who should be accepted. I'm willing to guess that the last 5 people that get into a class are just as qualified as the 20 below them who did not get in. The idea behind increasing class size is to fill the need of primary care providers in rural Texas, so again, I think it is a good thing. There is a need and they are trying to address it.

I'm reading old threads on Texas med schools and came across a 2008 thread about the atmospheres of each school (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...baylor-utmb-utsw-etc-tell-me-about-em.520646/), Since a lot can change in 7 years, I thought it'd be cool to add some updated opinions before we all have to submit ranks. Here's my 2 cents:

UTSW: Surprisingly nice students and faculty. This school has a lot of freaking money at its disposal.

UTH: I wasn't a fan of the people I met here. The students and the faculty involved in interview day were nice, but everyone else seemed to hate life. The TMC is top notch, though.

UTHSCSA: Students seem happy. Wasn't super impressed with the facilities. San Antonio seems like a nice place to live.

UTMB: Students are super chill, but Galveston seems like a run-down beach town.

Texas Tech Lubbock: Nicest people by far. Very accommodating. And the facilities were quaint (at least compared to UTSW) and well maintained. Cheap cost of living.

Texas Tech El Paso (Paul L. Foster): This school surprised me. Awesome curriculum and facilities. The people seemed laid back. Cheap lost of living. Better learn to speak Spanish.

Texas A&M: (Disclaimer: I interviewed in Temple) Everything here seemed pretty average to me. I do remember being impressed by the stimulation center, though.

I'm reading old threads on Texas med schools and came across a 2008 thread about the atmospheres of each school (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...baylor-utmb-utsw-etc-tell-me-about-em.520646/), Since a lot can change in 7 years, I thought it'd be cool to add some updated opinions before we all have to submit ranks. Here's my 2 cents:

UTSW: Surprisingly nice students and faculty. This school has a lot of freaking money at its disposal.

UTH: I wasn't a fan of the people I met here. The students and the faculty involved in interview day were nice, but everyone else seemed to hate life. The TMC is top notch, though.

UTHSCSA: Students seem happy. Wasn't super impressed with the facilities. San Antonio seems like a nice place to live.

Texas Tech Lubbock: Nicest people by far. Very accommodating. And the facilities were quaint (at least compared to UTSW) and well maintained. Cheap cost of living.

Texas Tech El Paso (Paul L. Foster): This school surprised me. Awesome curriculum and facilities. The people seemed laid back. Cheap lost of living. Better learn to speak Spanish.

Texas A&M: (Disclaimer: I interviewed in Temple) Everything here seemed pretty average to me. I do remember being impressed by the stimulation center, though.
Idk what was going on in that thread towards the end...

Along the same vein, I'll give my thoughts and opinions of each of the 4 Texas school I interviewed at (in the order of my match rankings). I'll try and exclude how I felt about how friendly the students and staff were because I think that those things can be potentially subjective and circumstantial.

1) UTMB: Loved this school. You could tell a lot of thought and research went into their integrated block and problem-based learning curriculum. The administration provided many examples of working with the students to improve the school. The option to do clinical rotations in Houston or Austin is very nice.

2) UTSW: Definitely the most prestigious school I interviewed at. The emphasis on clinical training is a very intriguing and modern approach (they have a 1.5/2.5 year system instead of the traditional 2 years of lecture/2 years of clinicals). Like deeproots mentioned, they have the have a ridiculous amount of money, and their facilities are incredible. The school's history and NSF funding speaks for itself.

3) UT Houston: The ability to do clinical rotations and go to medical school in the Texas Medical Center in Houston is amazing, but I didn't want to put too much stock into this single factor as ultimately, the school itself and faculty will be the most important parts of your medical education. Their current curriculum is very outdated, adds to the stress level of the students, and is definitely a big minus of the school for me. Their administration has seemed little slow to change and listen to students (students have wanted the curriculum to change for years now), but are only just changing it for the class of 2020. Overall, I still liked the school, but it had some question marks for me.

4) Texas Tech Lubbock: I'll come forward and say that I'm currently a Texas Tech student, so that may make me a little against toward Lubbock (haha). The other three schools I interviewed at simply had more resources and opportunity. Not that Texas Tech doesn't have these things, but I could definitely notice the difference. The school splits its class into four groups for its 3rd year clinical rotations: one in Lubbock at UMC, one in Lubbock at Covenant Hospital (right across the street from the school), one in Amarillo, and another in Odessa (Permian Basin). The fact that you can only have a preference to choose where you go for that third year is a big minus. Texas Tech is obviously still a good medical school, but it is my last choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'll give my input to the schools I interviewed at, in no particular order since I still have no idea how to rank them for the match. I would honestly be happy attending any of them, they're all outstanding.

UTMB - Probably my favorite curriculum - awesome class and exam schedule, though students either love or hate the required PBL, easily the school with the most laid back atmosphere in TX, students all agree they have plenty of time outside of school. The only reason this school isn't easily my #1 choice is Galveston. Coming from a big city and after speaking with many students there....there's nothing to do in Galveston, city is pretty run down, buildings/classrooms seem outdated. As A&M and TT Lubbock, about half of UTMB's class splits up after year 2 to Austin or Houston. I asked plenty of students what they do outside of school and the only thing they really said was "well Houston is an hour away," so that's disappointing, since I loved the school otherwise.

UT Houston - All I can say is that the school and opportunity to rotate/research in the TMC is absolutely amazing. I think most would agree on that, but also the huge downside is obviously the curriculum and exam schedule for most people. Like mentioned in the post above, if you can get the same degree and (generally) the same opportunities at any school - why put yourself through way more stress doing it with such an unfortunate curriculum? Future students applying here are very lucky haha.

A&M - I interviewed in B/CS so I can't speak about Scott and White, though I hear it's amazing and is a top 15 teaching hospital in the country. A&M is growing rapidly and seemed the friendliest of any school I interviewed at - all their facilities in B/CS are new and top notch - and class of 2019 is getting a brand new anatomy lab building. Switching to 1.5 year preclinical/2.5 year clinical curriculum and has a good class/exam schedule. By far my favorite thing is the fact that the class spends year 1 in B/CS before choosing to spend years 2-4 in Dallas, Houston, Round Rock, Temple, or remain in B/CS - 3 of those cities A&M rotates at have the best hospitals in Texas, which I think would be huge for rotation experience/residency apps. It's unfortunate that the class gets split up between 30-50 at each site, though the ability to spend 3 years at the TMC without UTH's curriculum would be pretty amazing. Similar to Tech Lubbock, you have access to all of A&M's undergrad facilities - rec center, sporting events, libraries, etc.

Texas Tech Lubbock - Along with A&M, TTL was extremely friendly and welcoming. Their facilities were very nice - and the attached UMC hospital seemed like it had good opportunities for students early on. I actually don't mind Lubbock at all, though since almost half their class splits between Amarillo, Permian Basin, and Lubbock, 2/3 of the rotation cities are pretty suspect, and it's a bit worrisome to see that UMC - where most students rotate at - was ranked as one of the worst teaching hospitals in the entire country. Curriculum/exam schedule is great here as well. Along with A&M, you have access to all of TT's undergrad facilities which is a huge plus!

Texas Tech Foster - I think most people would agree that Foster surprised them immensely. The students seemed to love their time there and had plenty of time outside of school - similar to UTMB. The facilities and sim center are top notch - along with their extremely unique and awesome curriculum style. I think this shows with the success their students already have on board exams - their USMLE Step 1 scores are similar to Baylor and UTSW. I think the only doubts some people may have are due to the fact the school has only graduated 2 classes I believe so their match lists can't be compared to other schools....and El Paso obviously. You're in the middle of nowhere surrounded by no other city, though a city of 1 million and unique patient population is a plus. Sin embargo, fue muy impresionante.

TCOM - Overall TCOM seemed like a great school, met a lot of doctors who graduated from here that are outstanding physicians and people. Great facilities, no splitting of the classes like the other 3, great city to be in for 4 years. I really disliked TCOM's curriculum with classes 8-5 most days, and even though I've seen online that most classes aren't required - most students I talked to on interview day told me they were required since they call on you to answer in class. Up to the individual if they're excited to learn about OMM, though the reality of probably having to take 2 sets of board exams definitely isn't thrilling.

Sorry for the long post. Bottom line: every school is amazing. Pick where you like the curriculum/where you want to be, every school gives generally the same opportunities and will get you where you want to be if you're willing to work hard for it. Dez caught it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, long time lurker here, and I'm having a really hard time ranking these schools and would appreciate any insight.

1. UTH
2a. Texas A&M
2b. UTHSCSA
4. TCOM (prematched)
5. UTMB
6. UTHSCSA (South)

As you can see, I'm going back and forth between TAMU and UTHSCSA. Really would appreciate anyone's opinions on the two.

For those of you who are ranking UTH number one, do you mind sharing your reasons for it? I keep going back and forth between UTH and A&M as my #1 and want to hear y'all's thoughts. I'm not a huge fan of Houston's curriculum but I also don't know how I feel about the class split at A&M...

For those of you who are ranking UTH number one, do you mind sharing your reasons for it? I keep going back and forth between UTH and A&M as my #1 and want to hear y'all's thoughts. I'm not a huge fan of Houston's curriculum but I also don't know how I feel about the class split at A&M...

Spending four years at the TMC is the biggest reason for me. The sheer amount of opportunities available would be amazing. While the curriculum may not be ideal for some, most of the complaints I've seen have been from premeds. The med students I know at UTH admit testing week itself is rough but the overall curriculum is not as bad as people make it out to be since there's plenty of time in between test weeks.

With that said, why are so many people ranking UTSW number 1? Are all of y'all aspiring nobel laureates or something?

Like above, I don't really mind the curriculum. My MS2 friend had a good point, you're going to learn all the same material as all of the other medical schools. TAMU's class split doesn't really bother me as much as the idea of being the first class in the new curriculum. I'm torn between TAMU and UTHSCSA because I think they are somewhat similar. Anyone else?

Spending four years at the TMC is the biggest reason for me. The sheer amount of opportunities available would be amazing. While the curriculum may not be ideal for some, most of the complaints I've seen have been from premeds. The med students I know at UTH admit testing week itself is rough but the overall curriculum is not as bad as people make it out to be since there's plenty of time in between test weeks.

With that said, why are so many people ranking UTSW number 1? Are all of y'all aspiring nobel laureates or something?
I'm putting UTSW first because it really impressed me overall. Their facilities are the best of any of the schools I interviewed at, and opening two brand-new, state of the art hospitals that we'll get to rotate through is a huge draw. I also really connected with the students there, though part of that may be because I simply got to talk with them more than any other school due to their two-day interviews. They have my favorite curriculum as well. Plus, I lived in Dallas till I was 12 and have really fond memories of the city, not to mention some friends I'd love to reconnect with.

STILL waffling back and forth between UTH or UTMB for my second place. I may have to call up some friends who go there and pick their brains. Again.

My advice.....Your school rank should be your assessment and yours only. It is OK to post your rationale for your rank list but nothing anyone says here should influence your rank list. Only you know what is best fit for you.
Every case is different and every rationale for/against a school makes sense in context and filter of the individual.....

All the best

Reactions: 3 users

is there anything in particular you didn't like about UTSW?

Like above, I don't really mind the curriculum. My MS2 friend had a good point, you're going to learn all the same material as all of the other medical schools. TAMU's class split doesn't really bother me as much as the idea of being the first class in the new curriculum. I'm torn between TAMU and UTHSCSA because I think they are somewhat similar. Anyone else?

I wouldn't let the new curriculum be a huge concern, especially since comparing the old/new curriculum for year 2 side by side shows you just how similar they are:

35d955_269c95de969c4d25b74bf5a1158e75da.jpg_650

It seems like the changes are pretty minor, and mostly limited to 1st semester and summer break of year 1. The rest of year 1 and all of year 2 look identical class wise, you just have 2.5 years of clinicals in the new curriculum.

I think most would be happy at both UTHSCSA and A&M. I also had trouble ranking since I could see myself at any school. Other than UTH and TCOM, all the other schools had curriculums and class/exam schedules that seemed great (to me personally), and every school has plenty of opportunities for their students. A large deciding factor for me ended up being location since everything else was too close to decide one school over the other.

is there anything in particular you didn't like about UTSW?

Let me preface by saying that I think UTSW is a great school, one of the best in the nation.

There were a couple of things:
1. The competitive reputation that's so bad the admissions people have to address it. I asked an MS2 what his least favorite aspect of the school was and he straight up said he hated the competitive atmosphere that looms around everything. Hopefully switching to P/F helps.
2. They talked about ranks/prestige/accolades a little too much. I interviewed at places ranked much higher than UTSW and none of them talked about their ranks as much.

These are somewhat non-issues, but I feel like I can start splitting hairs between programs now that I have multiple acceptances ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I've finally finished my rankings on TMDSAS. Hopefully I will match to UTSW, but if not, I'll just have to pray I get in through rolling admissions.

1. UTSW
2. A&M
3. UTMB
4. TCOM (Prematch)
5. UTHSCSA

I've lived in San Antonio for many years, and u want to explore a new city and try something different. Even though TCOM is DO, I loved their facilities and the students appeared to be very happy there. And the area of the city they are at is to die for. Honestly though, I would be over the moon to go to any of my top three picks!

Good luck everyone!!!!

1. UTSW
2. UTHSCSA-main
3. UTHSCSA-south campus
4. UTH

Only two more weeks! Good luck all!

Not that it matters, but if you match to your #1 choice, will you ever find out if you got accepted to the other schools on your ranking list? Or will it always be a mystery? Lol

I'm a bit worried about TCOM's curriculum. They have class rank and all classes are numerically/letter graded, which I feel may foster a more competitive environment. Only the first year lectures are audio recorded while the second year lectures are not and mandatory to attend. This curriculum structure is not as good for someone like me who needs to rewatch lectures to really nail things down. Also having to take both USMLE and COMLEX and the uncertainty of the residency position availability due to the allopathic and osteopathic residency merger are concerning to me.

Last edited:
My experience at each of the schools (*very subjective*):

TCOM: It was my very first interview, so I was nervous. However, they definitely made me feel more than comfortable while I was there. The facilities were nice, although the campus was a little smaller than I had anticipated. What stuck to me was the 3D imaging scans that were available in the library, and the "technology package" that each student paid $2500 for which I was not that big a fan of. Still a great place that seemed interested in serving Texas, not just cranking out docs.

A&M: I had this interview 2 days later. I was really surprised by how personable my experience here was. From the beginning I was greeted warmly, the students seemed very relaxed, and it was overall a great experience. One thing I did not like was the way the anatomy class was going to be graded, and it seemed that the school was still going to be going through a growing pain these upcoming years. One thing both my interviewers said that they would like to see changed would be greater community participation/communication/acknowledgement with the medical school.

Southwestern: Only there half of Friday, and then interview day. Overall, seemed to have a lot to offer, however it took a good amount of effort on the students part to take advantage of it. They do know their position and recognition medical school wise, and really seemed to be looking for "bright" students. Hospitals will be great, only a couple of miles away from downtown, honestly hard to find some negative aspects about the school. As someone who is really only looking to practice medicine and not go to far into academia, miiiight not be the best fit for me. Met some great interviewees there, but also some who weren't as southernly-welcoming as you would hope.

UTH: Honestly, I had a blast at this day. Other interviewees here seemed to be the most "normal" in that we talked more about Kim Kardashian's new pictures than our pre-med history. TMC is great, and that is essentially a fact. One student giving a tour said that although the schools were partnered with certain hospitals/teaching facilities, it is hard to find any facility that will not welcome you regardless of which school in the area you are from. Students really emphasized the free time between block weeks that they have, and that block weeks are nowhere near as bad as we are making them out to be. One student even said that they work part-time while doing just fine there as well.

UTHSCSA: I am from San Antonio, and so I initially had biases against the school at the start of my day. From the very start of the day I was kind of surprised in Dr. Jones eagerness to meet interviewees. Facilities are a bit older, with new buildings to open starting in fall. By far the greatest diversity of any group of interviewees I had encountered. Student panel was very honest and transparent about their experience and UTHSCSA over-eagerness to change at the recommendation of the students. I always ask current students how nervous they were about upcoming match season, and I got a resounding "not at all" from every student here. Opportunity for greater responsibility/hands on experience during some rotations by going down to the south campus is really enticing.

My ranking:
UTSW(doubtful)
UTHSCSA (prematched)
UTH (prematched)
A&M (prematched)
TCOM (prematched)

I really am doubtful that I will get into UTSW and might just switch it to 3rd since I don't care too much for academia. I debated between UTH and UTHSCSA for weeks. From many current students I was advised to let facilities only factor in as around 10% of my choice, and although UTH does offer TMC, I do not think that alone will provide a substantially greater experience/growth for me.Overall I chose San Antonio because I really think I will be more comfortable here at home (while also saving a good chunk of change) and overall happier. The PBL and curriculum feel like a better fit to my thought process. Also, the students seemed to be more like people that studied medicine as opposed to defining themselves as medical students.

As a side note, I was told your favorite medical school should be the one that you are accepted to. And frankly; here in the great nation of Texas, we honestly can't make a bad choice. Best of luck everyone!!

Reactions: 7 users
Not that it matters, but if you match to your #1 choice, will you ever find out if you got accepted to the other schools on your ranking list? Or will it always be a mystery? Lol
I assume once a top-ranked school takes you off the match, you disappear forever from the thoughts of schools ranked lower. Dust in the wind.

You'll never know...

It's relatively difficult to place the Texas school into tiers, as they are all great and offer a unique variety of things (and they are all super cheap for Texas residents!), but I'll give you some 2014 admissions information about the schools so you can see where each school is from a pure numbers standpoint. Below is a sorted list of the Texas schools with their LizzyM scores (median GPA x 10 + MCAT Score; ie a 3.8 cGPA and 31 MCAT would be a 69):

1) Baylor - 73.8 (3.88, 35)
2) UT Southwestern - 72.8 (3.88, 34)
3) UT Houston - 71.4 (3.84, 33)
4) UTMB - 70.7 (3.87, 32)
5) TTU Lubbock - 69.8 (3.78, 32)
6) UT San Antonio - 69.4 (3.74, 32)
7) TTU El Paso - 67.6 (3.76, 30)
8) Texas A&M - 67.4 (3.74, 30)
9) TCOM - 64 (3.60, 28)

Again, this list is strictly from a numbers standpoint (GPA and MCAT). There is no real good way to rank the Texas schools, but this is just one objective way to do it. I do not think one school is necessarily better than another because it has higher admissions standards, though I do admit that there is probably a little to be said for that. (Harvard is harder to get into than "x", or Johns Hopkins is harder to get into than "y", probably because they are the "better" schools). People will argue this point extensively, and it's very crucial to not read too much into these numbers. However, they do exist, and I'll argue that there is at least a little bit something to them because they are here for us to see and schools will flat out reject certain applicants because they do not meet a minimum GPA or MCAT requirement.

But again, there is a ton of gray area here. And it's important to not just choose a school over another based on these numbers. Choosing a medical school is a very personal and complicated decision. However, when you are applying, it's good to know these numbers because they can be good indicators on whether you have a good shot or not. Just something to consider. Thanks and good luck!

I understand what you're saying, valid point. Just for future applicants to see though, I'm not sure if you used MSAR (which is only accepted statistics, not stats for those who matriculated), but the correct LizzyM scores for matriculated students are:

1) Baylor - 73.4 (3.84, 35)
2) UT Southwestern - 72.4 (3.85, 33.9)
3) UT Houston - 69.3 (3.76, 31.7)
4) UT San Antonio - 69.1 (3.73, 31.8)
5) UTMB - 67.7 (3.87, 29)
6) TTU Lubbock - 67.5 (3.65, 31)
7) Texas A&M - 66.7 (3.66, 30.1)
8) TTU El Paso - 64.8 (3.6, 28.8)
9) TCOM - 64 (3.60, 28)

Good luck with the Match everybody!

sources, for those wanting to see it (which lists 2013 or 2014 entering class statistics)

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/faq
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/medical-school/admissions/our-students.html
https://www.uth.edu/fact-book/education/school-of-dentistry-medical-school-applicant-scores.htm
http://som.uthscsa.edu/admissions/
https://www.utmbhealth.com/doc/Page.asp?PageID=DOC000445
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/admissions/faq.aspx#grades
http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/
http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fostersom/admissions/plfsom_stats_ey_2009.aspx
http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200679/admissions_and_outreach/1547/entering_class_statistics

Is anyone else sitting at no prematches? How are all of y'all faring so far? I'm trying not to think about it but the fact that I might just not hear anything on the 2nd terrifies me.

Is anyone else sitting at no prematches? How are all of y'all faring so far? I'm trying not to think about it but the fact that I might just not hear anything on the 2nd terrifies me.

no pre matches here. it's a constant source of anxiety/stress. i interviewed at tamhsc, uthscsa & tcom. i'll also be in nyc the time the match results come out with some friends that also have no pre match offers, so it can either turn out to be the best trip of our lives or hella awkward.

current rank list:

1. uthscsa - sa campus
2. tamhsc
3. uthscsa - south texas
4. tcom

constantly going back and forth between uthscsa and tamhsc. guess i have 24 hours to make up my mind.

no pre-matches here, and I have been a ball of nerves.
I hv been trying to think about it less by hardcore binging on Netflix... I finished most of the good shows.

no pre matches here. it's a constant source of anxiety/stress. i interviewed at tamhsc, uthscsa & tcom. i'll also be in nyc the time the match results come out with some friends that also have no pre match offers, so it can either turn out to be the best trip of our lives or hella awkward.

current rank list:

1. uthscsa - sa campus
2. tamhsc
3. uthscsa - south texas
4. tcom

constantly going back and forth between uthscsa and tamhsc. guess i have 24 hours to make up my mind.

I've heard so many great things about TAMHSC from friends that currently attend! It goes against my longhorn sensibilities but....I feel obligated to let you know how much they love it :p Though UTHSCSA is def a great school too!!!

Those without prematches hang in there! Even though supposedly some schools are "prematch heavy,"people on this thread (even though it's a limited sample) have shown that they have multiple acceptances already, so one person alone may end up resulting in 4-5 additional people getting acceptances once they decline everything ranked under their #1 choice on match day!

Reactions: 4 users

current rank list:

1. uthscsa - sa campus
2. tamhsc
3. uthscsa - south texas
4. tcom

If it makes y'all feel better - I think, for TMDSAS, since it has common application and same application pool for match list, the prob for acceptance is ((1- (0.5*n)) where n= no. of interviews and 0.5 represents 50% of interviews acceptance for each school on average.... So, If you have 3 interviews, Your odds of acceptance are 87.5%...Relax...

the prob for acceptance is ((1- (0.5*n)) where n= no. of interviews and 0.5 represents 50% of interviews acceptance for each school on average.... So, If you have 3 interviews, Your odds of acceptance are 87.5%...Relax...
I think you meant: 1- (0.5^n)

Great formula. 0.5 is probability of NOTgetting accepted, so I'll use higher numbers, say 0.6 or 0.7, if you're a weaker applicant: below average scores, ECs, late interviews, etc.

Last edited:
Right there with you. I'm managing to keep my mind off of it for the most part, but when I do think about the possibility of not matching my gut sinks. Still, we just have to try to stay positive!

I'll be finalizing my rankings tonight... honestly, even now at the 11th hour, I'm not sure whether I want to put UTH or UTMB higher. I'd be happy with either school so it's silly to stress over it, but hard not to.

@Silverflash I would put UTMB above Houston as it seems that UTMB is basically what UTH is except that you dont have to deal with the annoying curriculum.Plus you get to rotate at the med center if you wish... so you are not missing out on the facilities either. I wish i interviewed at UTMB =(

I am going back and forth between UTHSCSA and UTMB. Can someone that has ranked one higher than the other give some insight on to why you ranked that way?

The main reason for my dilemma is that I see both as fairly equal except for location. Ahhh I need to decide since ranking is tonight!

Just to remind everyone, rankings are due at 5pm and not 11:59pm or whatever else!

For whatever it's worth to those agonizing over which school to rank where ---

There is no wrong decision here. At least, not one where you'll ever be able to know it now - or probably ever. If UTMB gets blown away by a hurricane or TAMU gets taken out by a tornado or UTH floods due to another Allison -- there's just no way of predicting that. And short of a disaster on that scale, any of the Texas schools are going to be good choices. Knowing that they're all good choices, pick the one where you feel you are most likely to thrive.
  • What type of environment brings out your own personal best performance? Big fish in a small pond? or Swimming with the sharks?
  • What type of environment makes you happiest? And is that a good thing or a bad thing? Are you prone to not studying enough if there are more enjoyable things to do?
  • How hung up are you on the relative prestige of one school versus another? To some people, that's important. Be honest with yourself about what it means to you.
  • Where did you feel the best "fit"? And what about the school or students felt right? Or wrong? Was is just that your first interview was scary and anxiety-provoking in general? Were you more comfortable in a smaller campus?
  • And finally, the locale. Will you thrive in a big city? Or one where there are fewer distractions?
  • How close do you want to be to your friends and family? Will Mom's cooking and laundry service make your life easier more than sister's drama makes it crazy?
And most importantly -- there is no wrong decision. No bad choice to make here --

Good luck to all

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
@Silverflash I think they are both great schools. For me it came down to which is worse: UTH's curriculum or Galveston (a city with nothing to do) where you have to be for either 2 or 4 years?

I'm loving this process so much! This is stressful and scary and tough, but we each get to pick out the places where we felt most at home. I've watched several classes before mine go through the match and seen how brave everyone was, ready to follow the careers that the Universe?/God?/their own Guiding Light? has led them to. Now, it's our turn to be brave.

It's almost the deadline ahhhhhhhhh (I'm in the chat room btw)

Currently being paranoid my ranking is not going to be submitted even though I've checked it 5 times day hahha

Last edited:
Currently being paranoid my ranking is going to be submitted even though I've checked it 5 times day hahha
I just triple checked it again and even screen shotted it to be sure it's really in there (so I can check with my paranoia for the next 12 days):cryi:

Yep. I even had a nightmare last night that I had misread the instructions and my rankings were reversed. After that, I even read them allowed to my sister to confirm I had done it right.

I just triple checked it again and even screen shotted it to be sure it's really in there (so I can check with my paranoia for the next 12 days):cryi:
I just screen shotted it too, thanks for the suggestion

I think the screenshot idea is really good. I took one, too, and I think it's going to really ease my mind if I get worried I did my rankings incorrectly. We are super paranoid pre-meds, after all (well, for the most part). :)

http://us19.chatzy.com/71337387564707

There is the link to the chat room if anyone wants to chat. Thanks!