The Republic of Texas XXXIII: Lone Star State Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dozed off on the couch watching Wives with Knives - the only way I could sleep was with my mind trained on something else. This hour is killing me!

Reactions: 1 user
I dozed off on the couch watching Wives with Knives - the only way I could sleep was with my mind trained on something else. This hour is killing me!
I forced myself to try and sleep by listening to youtube sleep vids. I'm running on 2 hours of it lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm soooo glad I didn't try to go to work today! I wouldn't have been able to find out results until almost 9:00!

I'm soooo glad I didn't try to go to work today! I wouldn't have been able to find out results until almost 9:00!
I'm a teacher - there is NO WAY I would've been able to look at these results while having 35 high schoolers in front of me...

Ahhhh!!! I'm so exited! Good luck everybody!

10 minutes left!!! ahhhh. good luck everyone!

Good luck in the next few minutes! I was in y'all's shoes last year and now I'm sitting in my Physio class waiting for it to start! Enjoy the ride!!

MATCHED TO A&M!!! MY SECOND HIGHEST RANK!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
UT Houston! I'm just glad I didn't mess up submitting my preferences :)

Reactions: 6 users
UTHSCSA! My number 3, but I'm still really happy!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so what happens if you don't match at your top choice? Are you on the wait list? Or rejected? Does the school contact you and let you know?

UTHSCSA. Absolutely thrilled, they were my second rank but I was super hesitant about putting number 1 above them. This'll be good.

Reactions: 5 users
matched into my fourth ranked school...in shock

Reactions: 2 users
I matched! Thank god, I'm incredibly relieved.

Matched into Texas Tech - Lubbock. Admittedly it was last on my list of 5 schools but I still liked it a lot and am incredibly thankful!

Reactions: 10 users
UTHSCSA. Absolutely thrilled, they were my second rank but I was super hesitant about putting number 1 above them. This'll be good.
Same for me. They were third, but I agonized over 2 and 3 so I'm still really excited. Whoohoo!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure more people will be posting after they calm down/wake up, but as I'm finally going to bed, I just want to say congrats to everyone who matched, and chin up to everyone who didn't. I've talked to a number of students and even had a close friend who didn't match and ended up only getting in from the waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys, I don't know if someone can help me but Im feeling a bit lost right now.
Although I interviewed at 6 Texas schools I didn't match to a single one. I interviewed at SW, UTH, UTMB, UTHSCSA, A&M, and Tech (and Baylor). All of them, besides UTH and A&M, were before November 15th as well. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 33 MCAT, I have substantial research experience as well as shadowing and volunteering. I'm really freaking out because I honestly didn't expect this at all.
If anyone has someone words of advice or anything I would really appreciate, I'm just not sure what could have happened.

Matched at TCOM. Guess I'll never be an MD :(Great job everyone, you guys deserve it!! UTHSCSA just threw me an interview for kicks like I predicted. Great school though, and at least we will all be doctors. sigh.

Matched at TCOM. Guess I'll never be an MD :(Great job everyone, you guys deserve it!! UTHSCSA just threw me an interview for kicks like I predicted. Great school though, and at least we will all be doctors. sigh.

Hey now, TCOM is an amazing school. The top 5 DO schools in the country! My friend goes there and he loves it. Plus you'll be near the museum, botanical gardens, and the zoo. It's a wonderful school, and a DO is just as qualified as an MD. So don't feel sad or disappointed. You should be celebrating this wonderful milestone in your life :)

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys, I don't know if someone can help me but Im feeling a bit lost right now.
Although I interviewed at 6 Texas schools I didn't match to a single one. I interviewed at SW, UTH, UTMB, UTHSCSA, A&M, and Tech (and Baylor). All of them, besides UTH and A&M, were before November 15th as well. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 33 MCAT, I have substantial research experience as well as shadowing and volunteering. I'm really freaking out because I honestly didn't expect this at all.
If anyone has someone words of advice or anything I would really appreciate, I'm just not sure what could have happened.
no match here either =(

Everyone be proud of yourselves for matching anywhere. It's a huge accomplishment and the fact that the school believes in you to make an excellent physician speaks volumes about you! To those still waiting, hang in there, it's not over!

Reactions: 3 users
UTHSCSA!!!

UTHSCSA!!!!

Matched to San Antonio!

Awesome! So much UTHSCSA matching going on. I'm actually really happy to have matched here. I ultimately put UTH as #2 and UTHSCSA as #3 but I definitely like the environment and curriculum at UTHSCSA more. UTH might have a little better reputation but I think I will be happier at UTHSCSA. I would still be happy with getting in off UTSW's waitlist or into Baylor though!

I'm sorry to hear that, that really sucks. But I would still try to remain optimistic. You should be on 6 waitlists which definitely gives you a good shot of getting in somewhere. No idea how you didn't get a match anywhere, did you feel good about your interviews? Our interview list is identical and I have the same GPA and my MCAT is within one point of yours so I honestly have no idea how you didn't get in somewhere.

This is unheard of in Texas with your stats. Do you have any insight ? I am shocked with your post..Mathematically you should get in even with low stats of you had so many interviews....Unless your LORs were bad and that's only thing common or your interviewed poorly at all schools...which is also unlikely

Congrats to everyone who matched!

I didn't match anywhere either :(. I interviewed at three schools, and my last two interviews went really well. MCAT is a little low-27, science GPA- 3.8. Any advice? Should I start working on retaking my mcat for next cycle?

Got into UT Southwestern! Definitely floored.

Reactions: 2 users
I still can't get over the excitement! Congrats to everyone who matched, you all deserve it

Only interviewed at one school. Didn't match. Can someone give me insight as to what the chances are of getting off the alternate list? A little below Avg stats for the school. Interview went amazing.. Is there much movement after match day or is it just one of those things where a spot or two opens up every so often?

Congratulations that's amazing! Did you not prematch beforehand?
Thanks! No, I didn't. I didn't get accepted through the match either, which I didn't know was possible.

Thanks! No, I didn't. I didn't get accepted through the match either, which I didn't know was possible.

Haha that's crazy if you're in state, you just randomly got an acceptance email after the prematch period?

Haha that's crazy if you're in state, you just randomly got an acceptance email after the prematch period?

Maybe it was a second letter, the first one went unanswered lol.

So if you're accepted off the waitlist at your top school, but you already matched at a different school, does that mean you automatically give up the other seat? Or do you have time to deliberate and choose?

So if you're accepted off the waitlist at your top school, but you already matched at a different school, does that mean you automatically give up the other seat? Or do you have time to deliberate and choose?
You have time to deliberate and choose.

Only interviewed at one school. Didn't match. Can someone give me insight as to what the chances are of getting off the alternate list? A little below Avg stats for the school. Interview went amazing.. Is there much movement after match day or is it just one of those things where a spot or two opens up every so often?

+1

I'm in the same position. Would y'all recommend contacting the school regarding the current status or writing a letter of intent or anything?

If I didn't hear about being on a waitlist today, does that mean I'm NOT on it at all? Or can you hear back later like tomorrow?

If I didn't hear about being on a waitlist today, does that mean I'm NOT on it at all? Or can you hear back later like tomorrow?
I think it varies by school!

For example. I scrolled through the old UTMB, and they released the emails a few days after match day. Some schools have already sent emails out today

I can tell you that the A&M wait list emails were sent out today. I'd like to know if anyone got a UTSW wait list email.

I think it varies by school!

For example. I scrolled through the old UTMB, and they released the emails a few days after match day. Some schools have already sent emails out today

I'm on TAMU's waitlist, but I was wondering about Houston since it was my #1. Thanks!

Since previous match lists are sometimes hard to find, this site shows 2011-2013 match lists of every TX school by speciality, though it doesn't show which hospital the residency is completed at, if anyone was curious about any of them:

2011: http://www.texmed.org/template.aspx?id=25183
2012: http://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=25836
2013: http://www.texmed.org/template.aspx?id=30222

This is jumping the gun by a few years, but what does the PGY1/PGY2/PGY1 Only/Categorical mean? I know PGY1 or PGY2 means the first or second year of residency, but if it says someone matched to Neurology-PGY2, does that mean they just jumped right into year 2? Or did they do their first year of residency (general IM stuff) at their current school, then went on to residency? Or...?