The Republic of Texas XXXIII: Lone Star State Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
9 days!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a valid question though. The fact of the matter is, a school wants to know if you are genuinely interested in attending and have a decent likelihood of enrolling if you are offered an acceptance. Schools would probably prefer an applicant with lower stats who really wants to be there over someone win higher stats who would be disappointed if that was the only school they got into. Bottom line, going into interviews you should always have an answer as to why you would want to attend that specific school in addition to why you want to be in medical school at all.

I feel like there are more tactful ways of assessing how interested an applicant is in your program than how I was asked at these two programs. Of course you should prepare to answer for why you want to attend a particular school, but how many people expect to get directly asked "would you attend our program instead of X and why." To me, putting it so bluntly is invasive and unprofessional.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a valid question though. The fact of the matter is, a school wants to know if you are genuinely interested in attending and have a decent likelihood of enrolling if you are offered an acceptance. Schools would probably prefer an applicant with lower stats who really wants to be there over someone win higher stats who would be disappointed if that was the only school they got into. Bottom line, going into interviews you should always have an answer as to why you would want to attend that specific school in addition to why you want to be in medical school at all.
The school can directly ask questions to gauge interest, asking whether one has interviewed at other schools doesn't answer the "why our school" question. I doubt it that schools are simply asking this question to select applicants who've had 0 other interviews and would be highly likely to attend their school.

The school can directly ask questions to gauge interest, asking whether one has interviewed at other schools doesn't answer the "why our school" question. I doubt it that schools are simply asking this question to select applicants who've had 0 other interviews and would be highly likely to attend their school.

The post I replied to said something about being asked if he had a good enough application to go to basically any school, why would he pick theirs, which I think is a valid question. I never said anything about an interviewer wanting you to list specific schools you've interviewed at.

The post I replied to said something about being asked if he had a good enough application to go to basically any school, why would he pick theirs, which I think is a valid question. I never said anything about an interviewer wanting you to list specific schools you've interviewed at.
Thanks for the clarification!

Any interest in forming an chat for those of us on this thread? :hardy:

My thoughts exactly lol

Edit: I vote @Make Or Break to make it as long as he/she wants to. Since I didn't even know what IRC was I don't think I'm the one for the job. :laugh:
haha. I honestly would if I knew how. I have joined a few but I have never made my own. I suppose we could always start some type of chatroom somewhere. Hopefully it will save everyones conversations until November 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the chatroom will be saved as long as the link can be accessed.

Happy to join the waiting after the long time of lurking. Good luck to everyone

Reactions: 1 users
Only 6 days left! Get pumped, everyone! :zip:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm heading to Galveston on Thursday for my UTMB interview... not sure if having an interview the night before pre-match will keep my mind off of it or increase my anxiety even more. :p

Is it common for interviewers at Texas schools to ask where else one has interviewed? Wondering if folks have experienced this during their Texas school interviews.
I am OOS and was asked at San Antonio where else I was applying.... I answered very generally

Just went through last year's threads to find out time of day everyone releases:

UTH - Morning, rolling

Foster – Afternoon

Lubbock - Morning

A&M - Midnight

UTHSCSA - Morning, rolling

UTMB - Midnight

UTSW - Midnight

Also I think last year BCM started getting back to people the Monday before prematch so good luck everybody!

Edited to include information for Foster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Just went through last year's threads to find out time of day everyone releases:

UTH - Morning, rolling

Foster – Couldn’t Tell

Lubbock - Morning

A&M - Midnight

UTMB - Midnight

UTSW - Midnight

Also I think last year BCM started getting back to people the Monday before prematch so good luck everybody!

Nice work! Last year the first people posting their pre match acceptance emails at Foster was on Nov 15 around 3 pm

UTH - Morning, rolling

Foster – Afternoon

Lubbock - Morning

A&M - Midnight

UTMB - Midnight

UTSW - Midnight

Edited to include information for Foster.
Basically you're telling me that I'm going to be on this forum Friday until midnight with the rest of you.

Reactions: 6 users
Basically you're telling me that I'm going to be on this forum Friday until midnight with the rest of you.

You forgot the part about pulling an all-nighter until 8am! :corny::corny::corny:

Ahhhh so close, yet so far away..
Hoping we all get some UTSW love on Friday at midnight!! :):)

Does anyone else read "rolling" as "trolling"? Because they are truly trolling us when they don't send them all out at once. :-/

I don't know why all Texas schools don't switch to P/F. Getting a UTSW acceptance would be so awesome.

When you say rolling, you mean rolling throughout the day, right?

Yeah! I mean it didn't seem like they came in a batch but over a couple of hours. Stressful but we're so close!

I am an OOS applicant interviewed in early to mid October at a few Texas schools. Is it normal that I have not heard anything back from the schools before in-state pre-match offers? When will I be notified that I got wait-listed?

What are you guys doing this week to make the time roll by faster? I don't have much school work so I am gonna eat a bunch of good food and watch a bunch of T.V.

What are you guys doing this week to make the time roll by faster? I don't have much school work so I am gonna eat a bunch of good food and watch a bunch of T.V.

Same! If you're a Netflix guy, I recommend House of Cards or Sherlock if you really want to get addicted.

Same! If you're a Netflix guy, I recommend House of Cards or Sherlock if you really want to get addicted.

If you've never watched the sopranos , that's a great one to get hooked on too.

This wait is driving me crazy. I keep replaying my interviews in my head :/ I can't even imagine waiting till February

Reactions: 4 users
That is so funny… I had an awesome experience at UTMB but during my interview both of my interviewers asked me where all I had interviews at. It was right as I was leaving and it felt kinda forced so I was pretty uncomfortable answering. I wondered if anybody else had this experience and sure enough!

This chat is going to be needed more than ever this week!

This is how I feel:

56123885.jpg

We need more trolls to keep us entertained until pre match.

I've seen Sherlock already and it was amazing. I'm starting to get into Gilmore Girls though.

If you've never watched the sopranos , that's a great one to get hooked on too.

Definitely, re-watching it now.

I've seen Sherlock already and it was amazing. I'm starting to get into Gilmore Girls though.

Definitely, re-watching it now.
Gilmore girls is my favorite show from childhood. I also suggest scandal!

I am not prepared to handle the next few days (PS BoJack Horseman on Netflix is FANTASTIC)

Most people have probably already seen these, but I recommend Scrubs and Arrested Development.

If you don't watch Arrested Development you miss out on 65% of my jokes.

A lot of people think I'm not funny.

If you don't watch Arrested Development you miss out on 65% of my jokes.

A lot of people think I'm not funny.

I always tell people, "No touching!" in the perfect setting but I get blank stares :/

I always tell people, "No touching!" in the perfect setting but I get blank stares :/
I always tell people about the time I was by myself and I had that dream about the orange tree but instead of oranges it had babies on it.

I get a bit of a sinking feeling in my stomach whenever I think about pre-match this weekend. Not because I'm pessimistic, just because I want to hear something from someone so badly. ._.

Reactions: 4 users
I get a bit of a sinking feeling in my stomach whenever I think about pre-match this weekend. Not because I'm pessimistic, just because I want to hear something from someone so badly. ._.

I have that sinking feeling, but it's because I'm pessimistic. I'm worried about not pre-matching anywhere.