The Republic of Texas XXXIII: Lone Star State Pride

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It should do so automatically. It will be as if you ranked your schools and got into your top ranked school
Sheeeeeshh. Just took a look at your MDapps. You are in an awesome situation.

Members don't see this ad.

If we accept the prematch offers and rank them below another prematch offer on match day, do we still have to contact each school to decline their offer or will it do it for us automatically?
To add to what Panther said, unless you need all the way till January 21st to rank your prematches (which is fine!) you should drop the ones you don't want sooner, just so other people can filter into that spot.

Reactions: 3 users
To add to what Panther said, unless you need all the way till January 21st to rank your prematches (which is fine!) you should drop the ones you don't want sooner, just so other people can filter into that spot.

I'll be going over the schools this week and dropping prematches. I think others should be doing the same too.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know is scholarship offers always come along with the acceptance to the TMDSAS schools? Seems like for @PantherPride they did, but I'm not sure. This would be helpful to know when evaluating schools before dropping any offers!

Does anyone know is scholarship offers always come along with the acceptance to the TMDSAS schools? Seems like for @PantherPride they did, but I'm not sure. This would be helpful to know when evaluating schools before dropping any offers!
I think for UTMB there is a separate application you fill out once you are accepted.

I think for UTMB there is a separate application you fill out once you are accepted.

As in prematch accepted or match day accepted? I'm hoping we get a cost of attendance estimate because if not, I wouldn't be able to make a fully informed decision on what school to select on match day. As much as I would like to decline acceptances so others can get them, I don't want to until I know where I stand financially at each school.

I recall UTSW mentioning during their financial aid talk that they let you know your financial package sometime in march/april I think?

Schools can hand out merit scholarships until match day. I would only drop them if you're for sure you don't want to attend even if they offer you money. Someone last year got a scholarship in December.

As in prematch accepted or match day accepted? I'm hoping we get a cost of attendance estimate because if not, I wouldn't be able to make a fully informed decision on what school to select on match day. As much as I would like to decline acceptances so others can get them, I don't want to until I know where I stand financially at each school.

I recall UTSW mentioning during their financial aid talk that they let you know your financial package sometime in march/april I think?
I think it's just after you get accepted in general.
http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservices/scholarships.asp

And if you are selecting based on cost, doesn't the msar have all of that information?

Last edited:
I almost dropped one of my two pre-matches on Sunday after talking to my parents and knowing which school I would attend out of those two, and then that school sent me a big scholarship yesterday so now I have to re-evaluate. While it's not ideal for other applicants, I feel like you earned your prematches and have a right to wait for bonuses.

Reactions: 1 user
Are schools still sending out II's? It feels like the end is near...

Yes, definitely. I received an interview late last week. I do anticipate that interview invites will start to die down a little since the first round of pre-match is over, but if you look at the school websites and their all their remaining dates for interviews, I'd imagine that there are still a lot of interview opportunities out there for at least the next month and a half.

I just got an interview at A&M on Monday. The interview is for Thursday so I imagine they're filling in for dropped interview slots after people prematched to a preferred school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just any to make sure, but we're allowed to accept prematch offers from
Multiple schools, right? I'm about to hit the accept button for UT Houston and Texas A&M, but I wanna make sure these aren't binding for whenever I pick one over the other or even a different school.

I just any to make sure, but we're allowed to accept prematch offers from
Multiple schools, right? I'm about to hit the accept button for UT Houston and Texas A&M, but I wanna make sure these aren't binding for whenever I pick one over the other or even a different school.
Correct.

I am VERY EXCITED about next year... but I'm still deciding which school is best for me. For those of you who have fallen in love with a particular Texas school, what made it your favorite/best fit?

Reactions: 1 users
I am VERY EXCITED about next year... but I'm still deciding which school is best for me. For those of you who have fallen in love with a particular Texas school, what made it your favorite/best fit?

Looking back, I think the two biggest factors for me should have been true pass/fail preclinicals and plenty of elective time before 4th year. The former should eliminate a good amount of the stress that comes with being graded, while the latter takes away the stress of possibly having to choose a specialty before you've even done a rotation in it.

Which schools have true pass/fail grading systems? Thanks

Looking back, I think the two biggest factors for me should have been true pass/fail preclinicals and plenty of elective time before 4th year. The former should eliminate a good amount of the stress that comes with being graded, while the latter takes away the stress of possibly having to choose a specialty before you've even done a rotation in it.

Which schools have true pass/fail grading systems? Thanks

TT Foster - true P/F
UTMB - Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail (in talks of moving to P/F)
TAMHSC - Honors, Pass, Fail
TT Lubbock - Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail
UTSW- currently has first semester true pass/fail and next year the first 1.5 years will be true pass/fail too

not sure about UTH or UTHSCSA.

Reactions: 2 users
Baylor is true pass/fail too, but they have AOA

TT Foster - true P/F
UTMB - Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail (in talks of moving to P/F)
TAMHSC - Honors, Pass, Fail
TT Lubbock - Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail
UTSW- currently has first semester true pass/fail and next year the first 1.5 years will be true pass/fail too

not sure about UTH or UTHSCSA.
UTHSCSA has letter grades.

So this is completely conjecture, but I was thinking yesterday that if around 5,000 apply each year on TMDSAS and somewhere around 25% of those receive interviews, that means somewhere just above 1000 are interviewing in total. You have to assume that the majority of people interviewing at any given Texas are most likely interviewing at one or more other Texas schools, so the 800 or so interviewing at each school are not individual applicant pools. So, if each school has about 200 spots to give out, it seems that there are essentially enough spots in the state for nearly all interviewing applicants to receive a spot somewhere in the state. Does that make sense?

So this is completely conjecture, but I was thinking yesterday that if around 5,000 apply each year on TMDSAS and somewhere around 25% of those receive interviews, that means somewhere just above 1000 are interviewing in total. You have to assume that the majority of people interviewing at any given Texas are most likely interviewing at one or more other Texas schools, so the 800 or so interviewing at each school are not individual applicant pools. So, if each school has about 200 spots to give out, it seems that there are essentially enough spots in the state for nearly all interviewing applicants to receive a spot somewhere in the state. Does that make sense?

Where do you get the 25% receive interviews stat?

Just to fill the class of 9 Texas medical schools each with around 200 students and 80-90% Texas residents, then over 1500 Texas residents get acceptances so it's definitely way more than 25% getting interviews if only 5000 applied.

At least in 2013 (I believe, I looked at the stats yesterday), 4813 people applied using TMDSAS and a total of 1587 matriculated. Each school lists stats of interviewing around 800 people, a large portion of which are likely interviewing at multiple Texas schools. Those 800 also include out of state applicants. The missing stat is that of the total number of unique interviewees interviewing across Texas, which would give us a clear idea of the percentage of interviewees who are accepted somewhere in the state. However, it seems to me, that considering that some people will also likely ultimately go to a school out of state and that most people are interviewing at multiple schools, there aren't likely to be significantly more interviewees than there are spots available within the state. So, hopefully at least, the vast majority of those who interview (particularly those who interview at multiple schools within the state) will be accepted somewhere.

I just got one from A&M on Wednesday for one of their December interviews. Its definitely nearing the end of interview offers, but there are still a few more to go.

Anyone know what schools are still sending out ii's? I've seen a&m and TCOM send some out but what about the others?

Anyone know what schools are still sending out ii's? I've seen a&m and TCOM send some out but what about the others?

UTMB sent more interview invites out last Friday, according to a poster in the UTMB school-specific thread.

Predictions on when the second batch of prematch offers go out?

I think it will largely depend on each school, but from looking over past years threads, it sounds like it's usually a batch in early december and then one more right before prematch ends.

I called the two Techs and they both said that they interview into January and are still sending out invites. Lubbock also said that they accept update letters, in case anyone was wondering!

Judging from last year's UTSW thread, another batch might go out this Tuesday, November 25th

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! May you have a holiday season filled with family, friends, food, and med school acceptances!

Reactions: 4 users
Heartbroken over southwestern..hopefully those of us that haven't prematched yet get in around the holidays! It'll be a true Christmas Miracle :)

Pretty good. Had thanksgiving dinner at golden coral for a change. The only downside is that now I can't feast on the scrumptious left overs.
That must have been interesting, I don't think I've ever had a Thanksgiving meal that wasn't homecooked! I liked Golden Corral when I went there a few years ago though, so I'm sure it was delicious.

Thanksgiving was great, but it was just a tease. I want Christmas break

Since I'm on a gap year with little-to-no responsibilities, I actually enjoyed Thanksgiving even more than normal for exactly that reason. For the past four years I've either had to study over the break or feel guilty for not studying over the break; this year I just got to enjoy seeing family and relaxing. Pretty sweet!

Since I'm on a gap year with little-to-no responsibilities, I actually enjoyed Thanksgiving even more than normal for exactly that reason. For the past four years I've either had to study over the break or feel guilty for not studying over the break; this year I just got to enjoy seeing family and relaxing. Pretty sweet!
Cannot wait until winter and summer breaks for that very reason - no MCAT, no additional coursework, just fun!

Now that it's December, anyone have any ideas when the next round of prematches will go out for TX schools?

is it too late to get IIs in texas? I'm IS
Definitely not impossible, a friend of mine got a Tech - Lubbock interview just a few days ago.

It's pretty unlikely though. I'd probably consider any schools you haven't heard from rejections at this point, and it'll be a happy surprise if you do hear something.