The Resistance "WW" Official Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chillbo Baggins

HEYYEYAAEYAYAYA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Times were good. Or so President @LetItSnow would have the citizens believe. Who knew how better to run a country than he? No one, he had convinced himself long ago. Once he had risen to power, he changed a few laws here and there, made the media love him, bribed the right people…”persuaded” a few more, and eventually all of his detractors disappeared. One way or another. So obviously he knew what it took to run a country. An iron fist.

But President LIS knew that another season of resistance was coming, and soon. The past year had been hard on both agriculture and industry, and no matter what he had the newspaper print, there were bound to be those who thought some change would do the country good. LIS knew the plebeians would fall apart themselves before they could amount to anything. But he was wrong.

The ordinary folk began to talk. First in private, then a little louder. Eventually they started fighting back against LIS’s regime. To the government’s surprise, the mobs were not easily quelled. LIS realized the best way to take down the resistance was from inside, so he established an elite group of spies tasked with embedding themselves within the rebel’s ranks. The spies were well trained, but it would take time for them to gain enough clearance to truly shatter the resistance. All that mattered to LIS was that they make the usurpers fall before they reach the capital.

The wind howled over the snow-covered landscape. Far off in the distance, the lights from the capital twinkled like a tiny sea of flames. But Escalla and WildZoo paid no attention to that as they ran back towards the forest. They hurried through the last bit of open air, the snow coming down with force. The two began weaving through the trees at a quick tempo, knowing they hadn’t been followed, but not wanting to spend any longer than necessary in the wintry air.

Escalla reached the bunker door first and heaved it open. She and WildZoo raced inside and threw off their now completely white cloaks. “Come on, let’s get to the meeting room,” Escalla said, an involuntary shake knocking some powder from her hair. As they walked into the main chamber, more than a dozen faces met theirs. “Well, how’d it go?” asked devyn. “It looks good,” replied WZ, “The city’s got a decent amount of perimeter defenses, but we’ll definitely be able to sneak past them. “Glad to hear it,” piped up 98cats, “I can’t wait to finish this and overthrow LIS.”

Lissa walked up to a large, round table in the middle of the room and laid out a map of the city. “As long as we can take out 3, maybe 4, of the capital’s major defense facilities, we’re poised to make an easy run with our main force.” Mad Jack spoke up next, “We won’t be able to do it all at once, though, we don’t have enough of us in this advance force, but that’s ok,” he grinned, “each time we blow something up, their morale will shake.”

“Very true,” said Hedgie, “We’ll have to do it one at a time. For each mission, one of us will choose who should go.” Hedgie was a little nervous; she had heard the gossip just like everyone else: there were spies in their midst. If the spies went on missions, everything could end up having been for nothing. But it’s not like they could just lynch people and see if they were spies; everyone in the advance force was crucial to the resistance, they couldn’t afford to kill their own.

There were five significant targets around the city they could take out, though the group figured they would only need three to weaken the capital for attack. The group put their names in a bowl and five slips of paper were drawn out.

FFM
Rojo
Cracker Jack
Devyn
Lissa

These people would choose (in that order) who to send on missions. But of course, since everyone knew about the spies, the group as a whole would have to approve the mission squads.

The first target was picked from the map. The group agreed that it didn’t look too terribly difficult to take out, so they would need 5 squad members.

“Well, no time to waste,” FFM said as he stood, “Now who shall I pick?”

The Rules

The current squad selector will choose the appropriate number of players to go on the mission. They can choose themselves. You are free to persuade them to choose you or whoever else you like.

After the selector has a group they are confident with, they will list their official selections in bold (***or stars***). At this point EVERY player must vote on whether or not they approve the squad. You will vote either Approve or Reject.

Once all players have voted, if there is majority approval, the squad will go on the mission. If the majority rejects, the choice of squad will pass to the next person in line (Note: if this happens, more names will be drawn to select later missions). If the vote fails 5 times in a row, the spies will have broken the resistance.

Once a squad is approved, each member of the squad will PM me. They will state in their PM either Success or Fail. Members of the resistance must vote Success. Spies may vote either success or fail, to try to keep their cover.

Generally, a single Fail vote will cause the entire mission to fail, so be careful.

· If it’s not clear from the write-up, this is a best 3-out-of-5
· Because of the risk of information falling into the wrong hands, there are NO PMs, even between spies (especially between spies!)
· I say again, NO PMs
· Don't edit your posts
· Vote in bold or ***stars***
· There are no lynches, so everyone gets to stay involved, even if people are pretty sure you’re a spy
· No avatar requirements, but feel free to use something related if you want
· Deadlines are entirely when you make them, since every vote counts!

The Players

1. @devyn
2. @Lissarae06
3. @dyachei
4. @hedgiehog
5. @thedrjojo
6. @Escalla
7. @allieh8607
8. @WildZoo
9. @Cyndia
10. @Mad Jack
11. @sayabear3
12. @98cats
13. @SummerTheLynx
14. @Flim Flam Man
15. @Cracker.Jack.
16. @wolfspeaker

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully everyone got their role PM, if not let me know.

I'm pretty sure I got everything and said everything I needed to. *fingers crossed*

You can start trying to convince FFM to send you on the mission!

ooo ooo pick me! :hello:
I'm a great sniper and would be an asset to the team. :thumbup:
(I am actually pretty darn good with aim IRL)

Members don't see this ad :)
aragorn.jpg

I'm reliable. No way in hell I'm going to live the rest of my life under LIS's watch.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm dedicated!! I read 7 hours worth of WW in the first newb game to catch up and replace someone, and then I was killed after the first night I played. And I STILL followed the thread after. I won't stop until we succeed.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey FFM, if you pick me, I have to vote success if you catch my drift!

Reactions: 1 user
FFM you should pick me. Like Lissa I have to vote success if chosen for a mission.

What's with all the campaigning? Is someone actually going to say, nah, I'm going to vote to fail so you probably shouldn't pick me?

Now, the better posts should be, pick this person or don't pick that person...

FFM, how many people can you select on this mission?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's with all the campaigning? Is someone actually going to say, nah, I'm going to vote to fail so you probably shouldn't pick me?

Now, the better posts should be, pick this person or don't pick that person...

FFM, how many people can you select on this mission?

do you pay attention? o_O

I for one don't want to be in group one. Likelihood is group 1 is going to fail, and everyone in group 1 is going to be blacklisted from any future missions (at least I know my group won't contain anyone from a failed mission).

I for one don't want to be in group one. Likelihood is group 1 is going to fail, and everyone in group 1 is going to be blacklisted from any future missions (at least I know my group won't contain anyone from a failed mission).
Or any spies that end up in group 1 could choose to vote for success, so that they don't get blacklisted early on. It could go either way.

I will be most active during evening hours EDT due to my work schedule, but I will check in at my lunch break today.
Good luck with the group picking, FFM! I'm not envious of your position, picking the first group will probably be the hardest.

Or any spies that end up in group 1 could choose to vote for success, so that they don't get blacklisted early on. It could go either way.
Just read through the opening post again, so disregard this. That would be an awful strategy when we only need three successful missions.

So it would make sense that spies would want at least 1 spot in the mission, aka maybe it's best to select people that are not campaigning and staying fairly silent. Obviously after saying this, people may start doing this, but this is more for people who already started campaigning. Just my two cents

They would be smart to do so. I'm not risking being a part of rest of the game on that, if others would like to, be my guest.

I feel like jojo already failed resistance code.

*sees the paranoia beginning to form*

oooh.gif

Typically picking the first squad is pretty straightforward, just to see what will happen. After that, though... :naughty:

Reactions: 3 users
Tbh, jojo is the only one who hasn't failed resistance code, considering the writeup also mentioned having to vote success if you're part of the resistance. Anyways, I personally just want to be lead by someone I can trust not to lead me astray.

Yes, I know we were told by Chillbo to campaign, but what is the real point? Everyone is going to claim resistance member, especially spies, to convince ffm to select them...

I meant as far as # of people per mission. It was kind of laid out in first post.

Anyhow I am not entirely sure I understand the game yet lol.

I meant as far as # of people per mission. It was kind of laid out in first post.

Anyhow I am not entirely sure I understand the game yet lol.
yeah, i noticed that after i responded snarkly :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Resistance_(game)

this lays it out pretty well. Given there are 16 of us, my guess is 5 or 6 people are spies.
This round there are 5 people on the mission. Later rounds will likely increase to 6-8.
It seems round 4 it may take 2 fail votes for the mission to fail, which will be nice.

The tactics of the game seem interesting... a bit of a game of chicken round one for the spies, to put yourself in a hole but give yourself some credence, or get out to a head start but potentially screw up your ability to go on future missions?

My stance is unchanged. I want nothing to do with mission 1.

when is the deadline for @Flim Flam Man to propose a squad?

With this fuss that you're making about mission 1, I would not be surprised if the spies fail whatever mission you happen to join. :p

I am for overthrowing the regime, but just thought I'd comment. It's what I would do if I was in that position.

Reactions: 1 users
With this fuss that you're making about mission 1, I would not be surprised if the spies fail whatever mission you happen to join. :p

I am for overthrowing the regime, but just thought I'd comment. It's what I would do if I was in that position.
me and reverse psychology? no, never.

listen, if i can goad the spies into allowing a mission to succeed, then I'm going to try it. I know that if i was a spy and selected for mission 1 (or mission 2 for that matter), I would vote success.

Of course, the odds of this first mission succeeding are small unless the spies sabotage it by voting success. The basic structure is 33% of the resistance is actually spies. With no knowledge of who are the spies, the chances that FFM randomly selects a spy in group 1 is close to 100%. Now, whether those spies actually fail the mission is up to them.

After that first mission, we will have additional information to better serve selecting mission 2 group. I don't see any reason for mission 1 group to not be approved (although if I am in the group I will, in principle, disapprove), but I will very likely pick an entirely different group for mission 2, even if we succeed at mission 1, because we need to gain information from the first 2-3 missions. If we can get 2 successes from those first 3 missions, I will call it a great victory, considering mission 4 is really set up for a success if Chillbo is running this like the wiki describes. Even if we only have 1 success in the first 3 missions, we should gain some good information to set up for useful missions 4 and 5, which is where the game will be decided anyway, since I foresee no one sweeping the first 3 missions.

Reactions: 1 users
good strategy. If, in 3rd round, I pick the remaining ones you and FFM haven't touched yet, that will leave only one player not sent on a mission yet.

just reading stuff now. I'm on MST (same as PDT), and it's my first day back at work.

and I am exhaust.

so...I need to read through this again.

good strategy. If, in 3rd round, I pick the remaining ones you and FFM haven't touched yet, that will leave only one player not sent on a mission yet.
not necessarily. Next round there very well may be 6 people on the mission, and round 3 also 6 or even 7 people, meaning there will have to be some overlap in your selection.

If Chillbo is using Plot cards, that will also put some wrinkles into how things are played....

It will be interesting to see how this game scales up to 16 players after reading about it... i think there is more intrigue and mystery with the smaller game...

lissa
cyndia
mad jack
summerthelynx
wolfspeaker

I think I did that right. Now, no whammy no whammy no whammy STOP

whammy-o.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Approve

glad I don't have to track this...

Approve

Still trying to figure out what the heck is going on