The Review/Showing-Off Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically this is supposed to be a review game. Someone says a topic like, "What is Ksp" or "What are the major functions of the liver" or "What solvent is used in a Grignard reaction"

The user below quotes this, gives his/her explanation, and the recommends another topic they think is important/want to know more about. Try sticking to important topics so the game is useful.

If you don't know, feel free to look it up. If you have a mnemonic, you can add that too, especially if it is funny.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I'll start:

What effect does vasopressin have?

Members don't see this ad.

I like this game! Do we have to stay in the same topic or is it all random?

"What effect does vasopressin have?"
Vasopressin has an anti-diuretic effect, which promotes the kidneys to retain water. This also causes vasoconstriction!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happens to hemoglobin when an oxygen molecule binds to it, and how does this affect it's affinity for oxygen?

Reactions: 1 user
What happens to hemoglobin when an oxygen molecule binds to it, and how does this affect it's affinity for oxygen?

Its affinity for oxygen goes up, hemoglobin can hold up to four oxygen molecules.

What trends are there for comparing the relative acidity of two substances?

This is a great idea!

Since hemoglobin is composed of four subunits, it shows cooperative binding. This means that when it binds one oxygen molecule (which attaches to a heme group), its affinity for oxygen at the other sites increases. This explains why the hemoglobin binding curve is sigmoidal (S-shaped). The MCAT loves to ask about myoglobin, which only has one subunit - so it doesn't display cooperative binding.

Alanine has an isoelectric point of 6.0, and its R group is -CH3. What will be the net charge on an alanine molecule at a pH of 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alanine has an isoelectric point of 6.0, and its R group is -CH3. What will be the net charge on an alanine molecule at a pH of 3?

The pKa of COOH group is around 2 and pKa of amino group is around 9. At a pH of 3, the COOH group will be deprotonated (with a charge of -1) and amino group would be protonated (+1 charge). Therefore, the net charge is 0.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
What are the main functions of medulla, pons, midbrain, cerebellum, epithalamus, thalamus, hypothalamus, lobes of cerebral cortex and corpus callosum?

What are the main functions of medulla, pons, midbrain, cerebellum, epithalamus, thalamus, hypothalamus, lobes of cerebral cortex and corpus callosum?

Pons = conduit and automatic life processes. without your pons you stop respond(ing)

Midbrain = influences temps, body functions, and has an affect on senses like sight.

Cerebellum = balance. (Bellum reminds me of a ballerina, ballerinas have good balance.)

Epithalamus = had to look it up, houses pineal gland

Thalamus= conduit of senses and motor function to cerebral cortex. (train to the cerebral cortex and parts of the body with motor and senses)

hypothalamus= controls autonomic nervous system, pituitary gland control, and thermostat. thalamus sounds like thermostat.

Lobes of cerebral cortex =
frontal=critical thinking (people in the front seat of the car do all the thinking when driving)
parietal=sensory perception, feeling textures
temporal=hearing,smell (hear the tempo)
occipital=sight (occ comes in front of a lot of seeing words)

corpus callosum = communication between left and right side

_________________________________________________________-

What characteristics do you look for when comparing acids to determine which is the stronger acid?

What characteristics do you look for when comparing acids to determine which is the stronger acid?

Lower the pH, stronger the acid. Also, more stable(therefore weaker) the conjugate base of the acid, stronger the acid. List of Strong acids: HCl, HBr, HI, nitric acid, sulfuric acid and perchloric acid. Anything outside of these 6 are weak acids. Between the first three acids above, acidity trend increases (acidity of HI>HBr>HCl) because the bigger size of the Iodine atom which makes the conjugate base to be stable by delocalization of electrons.
________________________________________________________________________________________

What is cardiac output? How can it be calculated? How does it affect blood pressure? What is Starling's law of the Heart?

Last edited:
This game officially sucks! I was just about to answer Havoc's Q :( I quit, hmph!

Excellent answer uvrsol, I would like to add Ka >> 1 and pKa < 0 as well. (HCl's pKa is -7 if my memory serves me well).

What is cardiac output? How can it be calculated? How does it affect blood pressure? What is Starling's law of the Heart?

Cardiac output is the amount of blood pumped by each ventricle in 1 minute.
CO = HR (heart rate) x SV(stroke volume)

(CO can be considered a "company", HR (is the human resource department). SV is a sad victim. Helps me remember it, the product of a sad victim and the human resource department, is a better CO.)

Cardiac output increases, blood pressure increases.

Starling law of the heart = more blood comes in during diastole, greater volume ejected during systolic contraction. (I know the bird, starling, incorporates surrounding sounds into its calls, so I think the law shows how the more blood that is incorporated, becomes more blood coming out).

How/where is aldosterone released and why? Where does it act on and how? What is the relationship between aldosterone, blood volume and blood pressure?

How/where is aldosterone released and why? Where does it act on and how? What is the relationship between aldosterone, blood volume and blood pressure?

Aldosterone is released from the adrenal cortex when blood pressure or blood volume is low. It works by causing reabsorption of sodium in the distal tubules leading to increased plasma osmolarity, increasing fluid retention and thus increasing blood volume and blood pressure.

Question:
How is resistance added in series and in parallel. What about capacitance?

How is resistance added in series and in parallel. What about capacitance?

Series: R1 + R2 = Rtotal
Parallel 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rtotal

Series: 1/C1 + 1/C2 = 1/Ctotal
Parallel: C1 + C2 = Ctotal

Last edited:

Possible triggers:1) Low blood pressure 2) Sympathetic nerves 3) Low Sodium ion concentration
Macula Densa cells in Distal Convoluted Tubule releases Prostaglandin which causes the release of Renin in the Justa glomerular cells into the Efferent arteriole in the kidney and in blood supply. Liver releases angiotensigen and renin converts angiotensinogen to angiotensin 1 which gets converted to angiotensin 2 in the endothelial cells of the blood vessels.

Angiotensin 2 does 3 things: 1) It increases the resistance of the smooth muscles 2) Acts on Pituitary gland to release ADH which increases the stroke volume (which increases the CO "company" and therefore the blood pressure) 3) It acts on adrenal gland which releases Aldosterone which increases reabsorption of sodium in the distal tubules leading to increased plasma osmolarity, increasing fluid retention which increases blood volume and blood pressure.

^ Extra points for mentioning angiotensin-renin.

Describe the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Describe the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

V = U/q0 = kq/r
Electric Potential or the absolute potential (V) is the amount of energy per charge that something possesses
Electric Potential energy (U) is the amount of energy possessed by test charge q0.
V is caused by q and experienced by qo. U is potential energy possessed by q0.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Describe the following, including approximate volume: Tidal volume, residual volume, vital capacity, and the total lung capacity.

Pons = conduit and automatic life processes. without your pons you stop respond(ing)

Midbrain = influences temps, body functions, and has an affect on senses like sight.

Cerebellum = balance. (Bellum reminds me of a ballerina, ballerinas have good balance.)

Epithalamus = had to look it up, houses pineal gland

Thalamus= conduit of senses and motor function to cerebral cortex. (train to the cerebral cortex and parts of the body with motor and senses)

hypothalamus= controls autonomic nervous system, pituitary gland control, and thermostat. thalamus sounds like thermostat.

Lobes of cerebral cortex =
frontal=critical thinking (people in the front seat of the car do all the thinking when driving)
parietal=sensory perception, feeling textures
temporal=hearing,smell (hear the tempo)
occipital=sight (occ comes in front of a lot of seeing words)

corpus callosum = communication between left and right side
For the brain functions, some mnemonics I remember from high school:
hypothalamus = 4 F's --> feeding, fighting, fleeing, f**ing
thalamus = main relay center --> post office

temporal lobe is located just under the ears
occipital lobe is like having eyes in the back