The saturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeeSee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did it really start or become apparent?

I'm guessing around 2009 or so in the large cities

Members don't see this ad.

It started after the 2007 grads grabbed jobs. It intensified in 2009 with the recession. Its actually getting better, though. Its not as bad as it was 2009-2013.

I believe that the market hit saturation in 2010, when the chains stopped sponsoring international students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its actually getting better, though. Its not as bad as it was 2009-2013.

Anecdotal evidence, but my institution seems to have a lot of open positions right now. Things probably won't get back to the insane early 2000 levels, but hopefully it normalizes to where a decent pharmacist won't be treated as dispensable by their employer.

Reactions: 1 user
Anecdotal evidence, but my institution seems to have a lot of open positions right now. Things probably won't get back to the insane early 2000 levels, but hopefully it normalizes to where a decent pharmacist won't be treated as dispensable by their employer.

Old Timer can feel free to correct me, but I think we had like 8 or so pharmacists leave in the last year or so for another job.

Old Timer can feel free to correct me, but I think we had like 8 or so pharmacists leave in the last year or so for another job.

I don't know the exact number, but it's quite a few.........

We are currently hiring for 13 new pharmacist positions throughout the health system, plus filling positions for our usual annual mass exodus, but there are also a ton of applicants everywhere because of all the new schools and new residencies, so I haven't been able to land other jobs. There are definitely more positions out there, but the market is still getting more saturated.