the school or the student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKendrickLamar

Army Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After gaining acceptance to one school and with the possibility of gaining acceptance to another school, I have been in a dilemma on deciding where to go.

From some of the current physicians that i work with and my advisors and friends, they suggest that to succeed on the COMLEX or USMLE it is all about the student's effort. Because a medical student say at UPenn or Harvard will probably obtain the best education, but if they do not prep for the Boards, they will fail miserably.

What are your perspectives on this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Every school teaches the same science. Ivies don't get the "real" medical information and everyone else gets stiffed. A person can fail or do poorly on exams no matter where they go. The NBME doesn't tack on an extra 50 points based on the school a person attends.

In other words, a student's effort is paramount.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the majority view here. I'd have to say that it's not completely either way. Sure, I agree that it's very heavily weighted toward the student's individual effort, even to the point where I'd say that it's probably like 90/10, but I don't think it's a good idea to discount how a given school helps prepare you for your boards. That 10% won't make you or break you, but it can make a difference in your experience. Not all schools are created equal and not all people are equally suited for a given school's style. If things don't go so well for you for your first two years, I don't care how hard you push it for your board review, it's going to be very hard to catch up (I might know a little something about that). You aren't supposed to be learning new things during your review time, but, if your education is deficient, then that's exactly what you'll be doing and trust me, it's not fun. For example, there are some schools that hardly cover any medical biochemistry and/or genetics and this makes it VERY hard for some without a strong background in these subjects to learn it well enough for the boards. When faced with this sort of situation, you have to either put in more work than usual during your first two years to make up for the lack, or you'll be putting it in when you are doing your review. It's still possible to do really well, of course, with the appropriate effort, but it's just good to know that you'll have to put in more work in certain areas right from the start.

All that said, medical schools tend to be more alike than different and the education is generally pretty equivalent. I would suggest attending the school you feel more comfortable attending as that will probably make it easier for you to learn and perform as well as possible. Having a supportive environment that fits you well is something I think is pretty important, even beyond what is taught specifically. Ideally, it should feel like a collaborative effort.

Last edited:
It depends on how you prefer to learn.

Certainly HIGHLY competitive schools, for example, attract the type of students that are self-motivated and need less guidance when presented with less structured curricula that require extensive independent research.

Other schools prefer a highly structured pure basic science curriculum that maintains a traditional lecture-style with more comprehensive case studies towards the end of MSII.

If both of your options offer similar teaching styles, then go to the one that has an environment that makes you the most comfortable.

I don't have the majority view here. I'd have to say that it's not completely either way. Sure, I agree that it's very heavily weighted toward the student's individual effort, even to the point where I'd say that it's probably like 90/10, but I don't think it's a good idea to discount how a given school helps prepare you for your boards. That 10% won't make you or break you, but it can make a difference in your experience. Not all schools are created equal and not all people are equally suited for a given school's style. If things don't go so well for you for your first two years, I don't care how hard you push it for your board review, it's going to be very hard to catch up (I might know a little something about that). You aren't supposed to be learning new things during your review time, but, if your education is deficient, then that's exactly what you'll be doing and trust me, it's not fun. For example, there are some schools that hardly cover any medical biochemistry and/or genetics and this makes it VERY hard for some without a strong background in these subjects to learn it well enough for the boards. When faced with this sort of situation, you have to either put in more work than usual during your first two years to make up for the lack, or you'll be putting it in when you are doing your review. It's still possible to do really well, of course, with the appropriate effort, but it's just good to know that you'll have to put in more work in certain areas right from the start.

All that said, medical schools tend to be more alike than different and the education is generally pretty equivalent. I would suggest attending the school you feel more comfortable attending as that will probably make it easier for you to learn and perform as well as possible. Having a supportive environment that fits you well is something I think is pretty important, even beyond what is taught specifically. Ideally, it should feel like a collaborative effort.

I completely agree with you. I just want to clarify to the premeds that Ivies or highly ranked schools don't necessarily teach biochem or genetics for the boards better than elsewhere. If anything lower ranked schools teach more for the boards (in my state).

So yes, 90/10 student/school

Its the student.. but the school you go to does help. Some schools expect a lot from you during your first two years and better prepare you for USMLE step 1 (or in your case Comlex).

Also the curriculum of some places is more geared towards the boards. Again better preparing you for the real thing. Examination that are more closely resembling step1/shelf exams always help.

Absolutely agree... my school does a terrible job with biochem and genetics. I take the exam in 5 days, so we'll see how well I was able to catch up on my own!