The Second Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a number of programs I'm really interested in and wouldn't be disappointed at all to go to any of my top 5 or 6. I tried to take my time on the interview trail and really take a good look at the ones at the top of my list. I'm probably not going to take a second look at anywhere. Is this a reasonable thing to do? (I.E., are most people doing second looks and do program directors actually move you up their rank list if you do a second look, or is it just for the indecisive to get a little more data?) Also, input from the interns/residents would be great too.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question: I found that it is different for each person......honestly, most programs do their rankings as they go along through the interview season and the second look is more for you to decide if their program is right for you, not the other way around. I think very few programs will change their opinion of you based on a second look.
I do suggest two options based on to opposing theories: 1) 2nd look at your 2 favorite programs to show continued interest (thus believing that your 2nd look will refresh their memory of you and hence improve you status) or 2) 2nd look at the 1 or 2 programs (at most 3) that you are unsure how you will rank them (hence using the 2nd look for your own education).
Whatever you believe I would avoid second looking all of them, it takes too much time, money and effort.

The interview itself in my opinion is for you to figure out if you like the program and now for the program to see if it likes you.
Again my own opinion. Decide for your self.
ooops gotta go just got paged........

The other other option........quit medicine and become a bartender..........Death to all pagers!!!!!!!!!

I'm giving a second look at a program today, actually. I like the program, but I'm also doing it because, well, I live in the city that the program in. (Shhhh, try not to figure out what program it is. No! Don't look at the location under MY picture on the left of this message).

I am just gonna spend a few hours there, get a good feel of the attendings and the teaching that goes on, as well as the ancillary staff. I'll let you know.

Man am I glad Step 2 is over. You MD students have it easy. The DO version (COMLEX) is such a poorly written, crappy 2 day 8hrs a day test with unbearable pictures. I can't tell you how many times I stared at this one picture to figure out if it was a vaginal bleed or a rectal bleed (that bad, yes!).

And we all know I know my vaginas. Since I have one...
oh... wait...:laugh:
Q

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing a second look at two spots. Due to lack of funds, these aren't my top two programs....I can't afford to go out there again. I'm using the second look to determine how I'll rank them, I interviewed at both of these programs in November and my memory fades quickly.

I did some second looks in the middle of my interview trail. I went to my top two programs. I think they hurt more than they helped, not me but the program. I think I will move them from the top of my list .