The September 10th, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlugMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is early but its never too early to start "warming up" before you actually start studying. I bought the Kaplan MCAT flash cards and I just look at couple of them everyday to review topics before I start studying in mid June. What materials is everyone using/going to use?

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

My highest for aamc's was 28/40. I did all of TPR's Hyperlearning verbal workbook, mostly all the EK Verbal FL's, and TPR Practice FL's. Going over each question to see what I did right and wrong. Frustrating, feel like I can do better. But then again, have been seeing steady improvement over tests...
How are you on timing? You might want to focus a majority of your time on six of the passages that you find the easiest so that you can ensure you get those questions right and then put C for all of the answers to the hard passage. I have to say that in my experience it will eventually just start to click and the passages will become easier.

@sxogriff820 , thanks for the advice. It was clicking, and then it un-clicked... I think it is a timing issue - once that went bad with a long second passage, I got anxious and slipped, sliding out of confidence, technique, and gut feelings - which all result in lower VR scores. Also, sleeping horribly, not really understanding what the question is asking isn't good. I just hope none of that happens in 4 days. I think the VR on 11 was a little different because the questions were a little bit more ambiguous causing one to make 1-2 more logical connections than normal, I wasn't used to it and starting playing on a logical jungle-gym... which led to sliding down the slide way to fast and right out of logic all together.

Also, I posted a question on the AAMC 11 BS 105, any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 11: 10,8,10
I thought AAMC 11 was really hard. PS was harder than the other ones due to some topics I wasn't comfortable with, verbal was same difficulty, and BS was a bit frustrating.

@sxogriff820 , thanks for the advice. It was clicking, and then it un-clicked... I think it is a timing issue - once that went bad with a long second passage, I got anxious and slipped, sliding out of confidence, technique, and gut feelings - which all result in lower VR scores. Also, sleeping horribly, not really understanding what the question is asking isn't good. I just hope none of that happens in 4 days. I think the VR on 11 was a little different because the questions were a little bit more ambiguous causing one to make 1-2 more logical connections than normal, I wasn't used to it and starting playing on a logical jungle-gym... which led to sliding down the slide way to fast and right out of logic all together.

Also, I posted a question on the AAMC 11 BS 105, any thoughts?
no problem :) and what's the bio question, i don't see it?

I'm going over ALL my test notes again to work on things I haven't completely mastered. Taking Tuesday off besides some light flashcard work...skipping classes Wednesday.

Just took AAMC 11 yesterday and thought it was different than the others...the PS seemed more calculation heavy. Ended up scoring close to my top score, so hope the test is kind of like that.

I'm seriously just looking forward to drinking Wednesday night...alcoholic much? hm...

Reactions: 2 users
I just finished up my last AAMC test yesterday and my average has stayed at ~25 for the past 2 weeks (8-9 PS, 9-10 VR, 7-8 BS). My goal is a 27 so I'm close.

I'm annoyed that as a molecular bio major, BS is my worst section but oh well...

At this point, I think positivity, rest, confidence, and luck is what is going to get me that 27. Anyone else feel the same way?

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished up my last AAMC test yesterday and my average has stayed at ~25 for the past 2 weeks (8-9 PS, 9-10 VR, 7-8 BS). My goal is a 27 so I'm close.

I'm annoyed that as a molecular bio major, BS is my worst section but oh well...

At this point, I think positivity, rest, confidence, and luck is what is going to get me that 27. Anyone else feel the same way?
I agree, I think so much of it is mental at this point. You know what you know, and you just have to stay positive to get your best possible score.

are you only applying to d.o. schools?

Western or Touro-CA, as I'm from California but I honestly don't care what school I go to. I just want to be a physician. Next cycle, I'm going to apply to almost all the DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woowie - Took AAMC 11

11 - 11 - 12

That makes my totals of AAMC 8 - 11

AAMC # 8
(13 - 10 - 11)

AAMC #9
(12 - 9 - 13)

AAMC #10
(11 - 10 - 14)

AAMC # 11
(11 - 11 - 12).

Looks like I'm getting 34+/- 2 on this thing. Disappointed with BS & PS in #11 to say the least but ecstatic about Verbal.

Goodbye unrealistic dream of 42 lol. I'll be happy to just not bomb it.

Seeing a fair amount of fluctuation in my scores :/ It seems I either score high or low thirties! I think the biggest thing that's bothering me right now is all my friends who have already taken the MCAT have told me they were doing extremely well on the practice AAMCs (like high thirties/into the forties) and then on the real thing they did a few points worse than their average. Trying really hard to forget they told me this! It's making me more nervous :(

Have extreme confidence in yourself guys! You are all very smart!!

Best of luck to all of us! Keep pushin' until your designated rest time!

Reactions: 1 users
Seeing a fair amount of fluctuation in my scores :/ It seems I either score high or low thirties! I think the biggest thing that's bothering me right now is all my friends who have already taken the MCAT have told me they were doing extremely well on the practice AAMCs (like high thirties/into the forties) and then on the real thing they did a few points worse than their average. Trying really hard to forget they told me this! It's making me more nervous :(

I've heard stories of people scoring 2-3 points higher than their AAMC averages. It honestly can go both ways - don't get down for "what your friends are saying". Scoring high thirties is something to be proud of and very indicative of your capabilities!

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard stories of people scoring 2-3 points higher than their AAMC averages. It honestly can go both ways - don't get down for "what your friends are saying". Scoring high thirties is something to be proud of and very indicative of your capabilities!
I totally agree with this - the issue is we see a bias here on SDN - we see MORE posts about "how hard, how unfair, how difficult the REAL mcat is" vs. the people who studied hard and honestly, prepared, and aced the mcat with a HUGE score boost on the real thing - it only makes sense that people talk about the negatives and hardships, we tend to remember those vividly, than the passages and exams we killed! Keep your chins up people, we got this!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with this - the issue is we see a bias here on SDN - we see MORE posts about "how hard, how unfair, how difficult the REAL mcat is" vs. the people who studied hard and honestly, prepared, and aced the mcat with a HUGE score boost on the real thing - it only makes sense that people talk about the negatives and hardships, we tend to remember those vividly, than the passages and exams we killed! Keep your chins up people, we got this!!!!!!!!

100%

Don't got to the vodka, it messes with your liver or something.

Go for whiskey.

Seriously though, don't hit the EtOH, it won't do you we'll on Wednesday. Also, AAMC 10 today PS 9 VR 7 BS 11. I think I'm gonna go back to my old strategy on Verbal, except skim the questions ahead of time to know the keyword to highlight. If only the passages were as short as the Bio passages, if only... Also, trust your guts. I changed 5 answers from the right to the wrong because I tried to explain my answer from the passage. I will say though, if the VR section is more like the later tests than the former, they seem more like "main idea" questions.

Good luck guys! You can do it. If you've studied hard, trust your foundation of knowledge.

Anxiety has no place in my mind and I hope any of you who are stressed and in my AAMC 32 score boat can approach this exam with monastic obsession and a zen-like adrenaline rush.

Memorize your solubility rules, immune system agents, hormones, and organic reagents if you put those off like me, haha.

Also as soon as I get out the exam I'm gonna buy Destiny and an Xbox and cook a steak and take Thursday off.

good luck to you :)

Monastic obsession - too late for that. Zen-like adrenaline rush, that would be nice. Immune system agents? What are you referring to? Never Let Monkey's Eat Bananas (Neut, Leuk, Mono, Eosin, Baso)?

Ouch, just took AAMC 11 and saw a 6 on Verbal (9/6/11), don't really know what happened here. Lol and for PS, they really made you work to get those calculations... On the bright side, I got my highest score in Bio 11. I actually like all the experimental passages (finally my lab experience equates to something useful in real life)...

Range for AAMC 8-11: 26-30
Avg = 28

My highs for each section are now:

PS 12
V 9
BS 11

I'd be thrilled if I can pull this off.. I've heard of people getting 4 or 5 points higher than their average so, hey, it's not impossible...

And jk, about the lab experience only being useful for taking the MCAT if somehow I'm identified..

#32+dreams

Last edited:
I'm doing a 1 hour verbal section right now and just reviewing my science study guide I've made from AAMC 3-11.

I've averaged a 25-26 the past 2 weeks

As for my highs on every section
PS: 9 (1 away from a 10 on multiple tests)
VR: 11
BS: 9

My dream is 27, I'm only applying to DO schools and a 27 will ensure that I don't have to retake so I can focus on getting my 3.1 gpa up to a 3.3 by next spring without having to worry about retaking in January.

Good luck everyone!

Today has felt so surreal. Just trying to keep a clear head and pump myself up for tomorrow. Also trying to decide how best to apologize to myself for putting myself through this lol. Alcohol and a new PS4 game sounds about right.

My scores have been:
3:13,8,12 [33]
7: 12, 8, 10 [30]
5R:13, 9, 11 [33]
6r:12, 6, 12 [30]
10r: 10, 9, 11 [30]
9R: 10, 9, 11 [30]
11:12, 11, 10 [33] (just took yesterday)
I honestly can't tell if my 33's are outliers or not, or well the verbal of 11 at least ):

So I just realized that my ID has my middle name on it but my registration doesn't.... Will I be okay or should I try to get my passport from my parents who live a few hours away lol.

Just took the last AAMC test #11. Thought it was the hardest yet but I got my second best score! 14 12 15.

Also you need your correct ID so go get your passport.

Congrats! Talked to a few friends who actually did the same thing and they were fine. First and last name match, so I don't think it will be an issue. If not I'll let you guys know tomorrow lolz

Just took the last AAMC test #11. Thought it was the hardest yet but I got my second best score! 14 12 15.

Also you need your correct ID so go get your passport.

This is amazing. Great job.

...And great job to us all. Don't be nervous, get a good night's rest and own this thing. Good luck everyone!! :thumbup: See you tomorrow afternoon ;).

This is amazing. Great job.

...And great job to us all. Don't be nervous, get a good night's rest and own this thing. Good luck everyone!! :thumbup: See you tomorrow afternoon ;).

Wow that's really nice to hear! Thanks! Good job everyone, let all that studying pour out of you unhindered tomorrow!

General feeling...

PS : it was ok...I was unlucky to get questions and passages I was weak in..thinking 9-10
Verbal : easier than I anticipated...probably a rough curve. thinking 10-11
BS : whew...this was a tough one...one passage in particular was full of data...had a tough time deciphering that one. Additionally...some of the stand alone questions were reactions I forgot..thinking 9-10

Anticipate 28-31. Not happy...averaged 32 on Aamcs...I feel like at the end of the day...it truly is a luck of the draw. If the material is your strong suit...you'll fly through and have time for the harder passages...if you get a topic you aren't familiar with...it only gets harder from there...I'm just glad I improved my verbal (hopefully lol)

Wow I thought verbal was difficult! Didn't find bio as bad though... Was really glad I recently reviewed a few concepts for PS because one passage felt out of left field lol.

Felt bio was pretty hard. Apparently some guy walked out after the verbal passage in my test center.

i felt the first passage of verbal was really rough and made me not have enough time for the last couple questions on the final passage. i averaged 10 on aamc verbals but I definitely feel like I did worse on this one :(

phys / bio felt average for me

i felt the first passage of verbal was really rough and made me not have enough time for the last couple questions on the final passage. i averaged 10 on aamc verbals but I definitely feel like I did worse on this one :(

You never know! A lot of the time in my practice exams I felt like I had no idea what I was reading or answering but it can end up okay just be process of elimination. WE GOT THIS (I'm also 4 drinks in but I get wiser with alcohol).

So I just made an account to post about this...but is anyone else freaking out about that PS section? I felt like it was the hardest I've taken...BS seemed easy to me because of the fact that it was mostly interpretation of passage info. VS seemed normal with the usual one or two difficult passages. But seriously the PS section threw me off bad...

My interpretation:

PS: Pretty fair - my fault for not being as comfortable with certain topics.
VR: Holy **** it this section was a nightmare. NIGHTMARE.
BS: Not bad at all if you were comfortable with Data interpretation. Orgo was a joke.

Same boat here bud.

hey everyone. im new to this... take mine 9/12. how was orgo for both the 8 am and 2 pm session. Scared about this part as its my weakness. Did they just focus on couple topics through each section???

AAMC Average: 28