The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
VA: 32 :eek:
Bio: 71
RC: 43 :confused:
QA: 88
Chem: 91
Comp: 73

[...]What are the odds that I get in?

Check to see if your schools have any section minimums, but 73 is a decent composite - about average for many accepted classes. It's on the border of retaking in my opinion, but make sure you've got a plan not only for improving the areas you struggled, but also for maintaining your highest scores.

To answer the question you asked, try posting in the WAMC thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=750492

Composite- 421/82
[...]Do you think I should retake?

No. Your lowest score is in the 40s, and is not a science score. 82 is a respectable composite. Check with the schools you're going to apply to & see if they have a section minimum, but I wouldn't retake.

Thank you for the response. My state school only requires a minimum composite of 50 and no scores below a 25 in each section. I was just trying to get the best possible scores to compensate for the lack of pharmacy experience.

henry, if you're applying for 2012 matriculation, January was the last date. If you're applying for 2013 matriculation, then you can rectify the pharmacy experience situation between now and next application cycle. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Jan 2012 PCAT

VA: 86
BIO: 75
RC:69
QA:78
CHEM: 85

Composite: 83

Writing 3/3

I'm applying this summer with a 3.2 cumulative and 2.8 science gpa... Am I good to go??
(I have been working in a pharmacy for about 2.5 yrs now, have some EC but very little volunteer experience). I know my PCAT is good but does it help boost my app with my non-competitive gpa??

Jan 2012 PCAT

Writing 3/3

I'm applying this summer with a 3.2 cumulative and 2.8 science gpa... Am I good to go??
(I have been working in a pharmacy for about 2.5 yrs now, have some EC but very little volunteer experience). I know my PCAT is good but does it help boost my app with my non-competitive gpa??

you are difinitely good to go. your pcat is excellent and work experienced is good as well. these are put into consideration. your gpa is not so bad.
however, I amplanning on taking pcat this july, I need a place where i can go for a preparatory class, do you have an idea? did you study for your pcat on your own ?:love:

Jan 2012 PCAT

Writing 3/3

The only concern that I would have his your science GPA; What is the trend for your science grades? Have you taken upper level courses?

you are difinitely good to go. your pcat is excellent and work experienced is good as well. these are put into consideration. your gpa is not so bad.
however, I amplanning on taking pcat this july, I need a place where i can go for a preparatory class, do you have an idea? did you study for your pcat on your own ?:love:

Thank you!! for the pcat i studied on my own and i used kaplan and i also used another book called pcat flashcards which was basically just a book full of questions. buying the pearson's practice tests helped me see what the exam will really be like. good luck!

The only concern that I would have his your science GPA; What is the trend for your science grades? Have you taken upper level courses?

That's what i'm afraid of the most cause its all over the place. For my chemistry courses gen chem 1&2, analytical and orgo 1 were Bs. Orgo 2, orgo lab and biochem (a 400 level so yes to the upper level courses) as well as anatomy&physiology 1 were Cs. Physics 1 was a B. For my math courses calc 1-A, calc 2- C, calc 3-B and stats - A....I took ap bio in high school so i haven't had any bio courses since then but i will be taking some bio classes next year. right now i'm taking physics 2, biochem 2 and anatomy&physiology 2 and i'm trying my best to get my gpa up...even if i were to get a B in biochem 2 and anatomy 2 thats still seen as an improvement over getting a C's in the previous course right? i'm a biochem major planning to graduate may 2013 so i have plenty of upper level science courses still to go...

thanks for your help!

Hey guys congrats to everyone who got in!

Currently, I am a Senior Chemical Engineering Major with GPA of 3.3 PCAT comp of 76
(Bio 82,
Math 80
Chem 92
Verbal 67
RC 17).
In addition, I have 3 years of volunteering experience including clinical and retail pharmacy. A semester of research experience and some leadership roles. I have taken the PCAT twice, but I was reconsidering this option, since it may possibly look bad taking it a third time or I may not do as well. Since, I feel I did pretty terrible on the RC, do you guys recommend that I take the PCAT once more?

Currently, I am a Senior Chemical Engineering Major with GPA of 3.3 PCAT comp of 76
(Bio 82,
Math 80
Chem 92
Verbal 67
RC 17).
In addition, I have 3 years of volunteering experience including clinical and retail pharmacy. A semester of research experience and some leadership roles. I have taken the PCAT twice, but I was reconsidering this option, since it may possibly look bad taking it a third time or I may not do as well. Since, I feel I did pretty terrible on the RC, do you guys recommend that I take the PCAT once more?

Before I'd retake a 76, I'd check with my pharma school of choice & see if that's going to matter. You scored exceptionally well on the Chem section & strongly on everything else. Some schools only look at composite, then maybe have minimums in the science scores. kcwang gave some great advice slightly upthread to hiting56 which might also apply to your situation.

Oct 2010 PCAT

VA: 416/73%
BIO: 435/91%
RC:401/47% :laugh:
QA:419/73%
CHEM: 426/81%

Composite: 419/79%

Writing 3.5/3.5

Seems like a long time since I took the PCAT so I just registered to retake it again in July. The scores of QA, RC, and CHEM are what scare me. I know I can score better than that but is it really worth it to retake the exam? I have a BA in Management Information Systems and have completed all of my prereqs for Pharmacy and my post bac gpa is 3.3, gpa for my BA was 3.18. I'm applying at Washington State, Creighton, and Kansas.

(Bio 82,
Math 80
Chem 92
Verbal 67
RC 17).

I noticed you are planning on applying to University of Maryland. You should note that Maryland accepts the highest PCAT score per category. So it helps you significantly to retake the PCAT and do better. They also understand that you are happy with your scores in other sections, so if you solely focus on the RC section and the other scores go down, it doesn't hurt you.

However, while a comp of 76 is far from bad, doing as well on all the sections and improving the RC will boost your comp significantly and make your application look even better.

I know what ChemE can do to your grades... so a 3.3 is a pretty good showing!

This post is not to bash the person who posted the "ranking" of the PCAT scores. It was a good attempt to quantify a nerve racking test. But reading through the percentiles I felt the need to bring people back to the main reason for taking the test. In order to give myself cred...I am in pharmacy school (one of the top five) to toot a horn. But who cares! Doing well on the PCAT or having a high GPA did nothing more than keep me from being tossed out in the first round. Look at it this way...a pharmacy school has a minimum...if you pass that "weed out" process then you need to focus on bigger fish. Articulating exactly why you are the candidate "they" are looking for is more important. I will tell everyone I meet; I spent more time on my PharmCAS and supplemental essays than time spent studying for the PCAT! You could take it to the nth power and it still wouldn't match up.

I have my own convictions for becoming a pharmacist and believe me...if you think you can sit down in front of a veteran of the practice and bull**** them...you are up for a rude awakening. Here are the facts, I have a 3.26 GPA, got a 76 overall on the PCAT (with a 35 on reading!) and people tried to convince me I wouldn't make it. I did start a pre-pharmacy club, did research, worked as a technician and tried to learn the practice. We had a girl in our pre-pharmacy club who was one of the smartest in the department (honor student with a 4.0, and 95 on PCAT). She was placed on the wait list, why? Because after talking to her about the interview and the questions she was asked, she was unable to account for what she had put down on paper.

I have friends that served as students on the admissions board and they comment on the repeated rejections they had to send out to 4.0's. Mind you this is at one of the premiere pharmacy schools in the nation. Not all 4.0's are this way but typically and more relevantly, there is little substance to these applicants (speaking for some on the actual admissions board). Focus on learning the profession and certainly get a job in the field prior to applying to improve your chances. After all, how do you know you want to be a pharmacist without actually working in one?!

The moral here, I am far from the smartest guy in the room, but I can rival anyone on my aptitude or convictions for wanting to become a pharmacist. I did so not because of the application process, but to hopefully be at an ailing patient's bedside and have the spirit to look them (and their family) in the eye and give all my knowledge to help see them through. Trust me, if you make it in... and start practicing...you will be presented with this type of situation (could be an APPE or actual job). Pharmacy is a practice; it is a practice that many people confide in and consider one of the most trusted healthcare professions. So although it is important to do reasonably well academically, there are some things you can't BS. Therefore, get through the weed out and focus on articulating your reasons for becoming a pharmacist. You will find not only the interviews are easier, but a see your own remedial reasoning for undertaking an immense responsibility. Good luck!

I'm taking the PCAT this July and my last practice test scores are:
Overall: 416
Verbal: 468
Bio: 435
Reading Comp: 410
Quant: 395 (still working on it)
Chem: 422

Any comments on what admissions will think? I have to work on the math section, it's been a while since I was in a class room.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the PCAT this July and my last practice test scores are:
Overall: 416
Verbal: 468
Bio: 435
Reading Comp: 410
Quant: 395 (still working on it)
Chem: 422

Any comments on what admissions will think? I have to work on the math section, it's been a while since I was in a class room.
This thread is for people who have taken the real PCAT and are asking if they should retake. From what you posted that would be a 73 Composite score...you're borderline here on whether to retake or not. If your GPA is strong and every other part of your application is strong, then I wouldn't retake. 73 is above the minimum of most schools (if they have one) with most being around 55-65 minimum scores.

This post is not to bash the person who posted the "ranking" of the PCAT scores. It was a good attempt to quantify a nerve racking test. But reading through the percentiles I felt the need to bring people back to the main reason for taking the test. In order to give myself cred...I am in pharmacy school (one of the top five) to toot a horn. But who cares! Doing well on the PCAT or having a high GPA did nothing more than keep me from being tossed out in the first round. Look at it this way...a pharmacy school has a minimum...if you pass that "weed out" process then you need to focus on bigger fish. Articulating exactly why you are the candidate "they" are looking for is more important. I will tell everyone I meet; I spent more time on my PharmCAS and supplemental essays than time spent studying for the PCAT! You could take it to the nth power and it still wouldn't match up.

I have my own convictions for becoming a pharmacist and believe me...if you think you can sit down in front of a veteran of the practice and bull**** them...you are up for a rude awakening. Here are the facts, I have a 3.26 GPA, got a 76 overall on the PCAT (with a 35 on reading!) and people tried to convince me I wouldn't make it. I did start a pre-pharmacy club, did research, worked as a technician and tried to learn the practice. We had a girl in our pre-pharmacy club who was one of the smartest in the department (honor student with a 4.0, and 95 on PCAT). She was placed on the wait list, why? Because after talking to her about the interview and the questions she was asked, she was unable to account for what she had put down on paper.

I have friends that served as students on the admissions board and they comment on the repeated rejections they had to send out to 4.0's. Mind you this is at one of the premiere pharmacy schools in the nation. Not all 4.0's are this way but typically and more relevantly, there is little substance to these applicants (speaking for some on the actual admissions board). Focus on learning the profession and certainly get a job in the field prior to applying to improve your chances. After all, how do you know you want to be a pharmacist without actually working in one?!

The moral here, I am far from the smartest guy in the room, but I can rival anyone on my aptitude or convictions for wanting to become a pharmacist. I did so not because of the application process, but to hopefully be at an ailing patient's bedside and have the spirit to look them (and their family) in the eye and give all my knowledge to help see them through. Trust me, if you make it in... and start practicing...you will be presented with this type of situation (could be an APPE or actual job). Pharmacy is a practice; it is a practice that many people confide in and consider one of the most trusted healthcare professions. So although it is important to do reasonably well academically, there are some things you can't BS. Therefore, get through the weed out and focus on articulating your reasons for becoming a pharmacist. You will find not only the interviews are easier, but a see your own remedial reasoning for undertaking an immense responsibility. Good luck!

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm highly intimidated by academic competition especially when it comes to national standardized testing. I can produce excellent grades in school, but fail miserably on a test at this level. I have strong convictions about becoming a pharmacist as well, and I'm hoping someone will perceive that in my personal statements and essays. I'm still going to try to practice for the PCAT and just hope I'm able to make an accepted list into pharmacy school.

Okay, here we go

Verbal=82%
Biology=89%
RC=60%
QA=77%
Chem=56% :mad:
Comp.=79%

So what do all of you think? Should I retake the PCAT or just stick with my score??

Applying to UNC, Campbell, Univ of Maryland, and VCU

Overall GPA: 3.93

LOR: Calculus Professor
Employer
Doctor
Faculty Advisos

PCAT Scores: VA 412 68%
Biology 414 69%
RC 426 91%
QA 420 82%
Chemistry 408 61%
Composite 416 79%

Experience: 50 volunteer hours in pharmacy

Strong Personal Statement

just completed the exam.
Verbal: ss 427 pr 87
biology: ss 447 pr 97
reading: ss 369 pr 8:mad:
quant: 423 pr 85
chem 485 pr 99
composite 94
I'm so disappointed with the reading. could not believe my eyes. my practice test is from 60 to 80. Must retake. :(.
user_online.gif
progress.gif
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=12813954

I just got back from taking my PCAT today... so this is my unofficial score report.

Verbal SS 495/PR 99
Biology SS 407/PR 55
Reading SS 452/PR 99
Quant SS 402/PR 51
Chemistry SS 443/PR 95
Composite SS 440/PR 98

Obviously, I'm happy with the composite score, but the large disparity on the QA and Bio subsections concern me. Do you think the lower scores in those subsections warrants taking the test again?

Other info:
My GPA is iffy (in the low 3 range) because of my first stint in college (~10 years ago) when I had no idea what I wanted to do. My grades from the last few years of taking/re-taking pre-reqs are good, almost all A's.

VA:427/87
BIO:401/44
RC:418/82
QA:407/61
CHEM:389/28
COMP:408/64

Current GPA is around 3.1, I had a ****ty first semester. Got a C- in calc and retook this past month for an A and I got a C in gen chem due to a bad teacher. I also have a W from a class that just wasn't working out for me.

VA:427/87
BIO:401/44
RC:418/82
QA:407/61
CHEM:389/28
COMP:408/64

Current GPA is around 3.1, I had a ****ty first semester. Got a C- in calc and retook this past month for an A and I got a C in gen chem due to a bad teacher. I also have a W from a class that just wasn't working out for me.

You guys get really good in VA and RC, all my sciences are really good but VA and RC are really low. They dropped my composite to the bottom. If you do not mind, do you plan to retake the PCAT on this September. I registered again right after the test :mad:

You guys get really good in VA and RC, all my sciences are really good but VA and RC are really low. They dropped my composite to the bottom. If you do not mind, do you plan to retake the PCAT on this September. I registered again right after the test :mad:

Yes im definitely taking it again. I have a question though, at my college im in an accelerated program where its 2 undergrad years prepping me for pharm school, and I don't even take ochem or ap&p before I take the PCAT the first 2x. Is that the same with any of you?

Maybe... Dunno If I should retake but:
85 - QA
79- Verb
79- Bio
75-Reading
60- Chem
80 Comp.
Should I? Applying to TTU, Texas A&M, UT (work in research here), and OUHSC

Should I retake?

Verbal Ability: 413/70th percentile
Biology: 447/97th percentile
Chemistry: 439/93rd percentile
Reading Comprehension: 398/47th percentile
Quantitative Ability: 399/45th percentile
Composite: 419/84th percentile

QPA: 3.43

I plan on staying at Duq but am wondering if I'm competitive to other pharmacy programs like Pitt or WVU. I am entering my second year of pre-pharmacy so didn't have any experience in organic chemistry or biochemistry so I just taught myself as much as I could. I know my quantitative and reading comprehension scores are low and my verbal ability is nothing special either.

Verbal - 412 / 68
Biology - 407 / 55
Reading - 452 / 99
Quant - 434 / 93
Chemistry - 438 / 93
Composite - 429 / 94

GPA's at about a 3.57, I don't exactly know the math and science GPA, probably around the 3.2-3.3 range. I'm mainly interested in staying at UMich for pharm school, but I'm also possibly looking at Wayne State, Wisconsin, UNC, Pitt, and Kentucky. I'm happy with the composite, but the biology score gives me a lot of worry.

Well here goes nothing...

VA: 78
Bio: 63
RC:91
QA:51:confused:
Chem:81
Comp:79

I got so stressed in the QA section, completely ran out of time... Should I retake I am stressed beyond belief right now. I have a ~3.28 GPA and 3 years of pharmacy experience. If you really feel I should retake tell me, I give you premission to hurt my feelings.

Hi person above, I am stressed too! :scared:

Verbal 439/94
Bio 425/84
R Comp 450/99
Quant 407/61
Chem 415/72

Composite 427/92

WIll the lower Quant and Chem scores hurt? Should I retake it? (Ugh, what a horrible thought!) :(

Thanks so much in advance for analyzing, guys.

Okay. This is little embarrassing.

I've got a 96% composite. I should be happy, right?

But I bombed not only one, but two. And they are not even close to 50%.

Here are my scores.

VA 30% :(
RC 13% :(
Bio 97%
Chem 99%
QA 99%
Comp 96% :eek::confused:

I am targeting mainly at UT. And their advisor said that all the subtests' scores should be over 70%. According to that, I should retake it but I am not very confident about improving my English in two months. Main problem is that I read really slow.

If you were me, would you retake it?

I know this sounds even worse; I have 4.0/4.0 GPA and that makes my VA & RC scores even more stand out.

Just took my first PCAT and I need someone to explain to me what this means, and if I can get in anywhere based on my PCAT

TOPIC / SS / PR
Verbal / 390 / 30
Biology / 404 / 49
Reading / 388 / 29
QA / 413 / 72
Chemistry / 405 / 56
Composite / 400 / 45

All I could find online is that 400 is the median for the PCAT

It's weird how bad I did in the verbal/reading portions, considering how I got an 8 on my MCAT exam -- which isn't great but, not really a bad score.

Last edited:
just completed the exam.
Verbal: ss 427 pr 87
biology: ss 447 pr 97
reading: ss 369 pr 8:mad:
quant: 423 pr 85
chem 485 pr 99
composite 94
I'm so disappointed with the reading. could not believe my eyes. my practice test is from 60 to 80. Must retake. :(.
user_online.gif
progress.gif
my reading is just 6 :mad: and i dont know if i should retake it

Okay. This is little embarrassing.

I've got a 96% composite. I should be happy, right?

But I bombed not only one, but two. And they are not even close to 50%.

Here are my scores.

VA 30% :(
RC 13% :(
Bio 97%
Chem 99%
QA 99%
Comp 96% :eek::confused:

I am targeting mainly at UT. And their advisor said that all the subtests' scores should be over 70%. According to that, I should retake it but I am not very confident about improving my English in two months. Main problem is that I read really slow.

If you were me, would you retake it?

I know this sounds even worse; I have 4.0/4.0 GPA and that makes my VA & RC scores even more stand out.

I really don't know too, i have that question right now too;
VA is 22
RC is 6
Bio 91
Chem 97
QA 96

But i may not retake it, i will ask the school if they will consider the rest of the subtest....:(

I took the test on the 18th, not sure if I should retake the test in September.
GPA is 2.79

Verbal 416 - 74
Biology 424 - 82
Reading 400 - 51
Math 407 - 61
Chemistry 426 - 85
Composite 415 - 78

What do you guys think? And what schools would I stand a chance if I applied? (I've also done research and over 400 hours volunteering in a hospital pharmacy.)

Disappointing results: July 19
VA 416 / 74
Bio 434 / 91
RC 403 / 56
QA 407 / 61
CH 408 / 61
Composite: 414 / 76

Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.6

Working full time and taking classes in the fall, I'm going to try again in September.

Last edited:
Just took the PCAT and my score is a little lower than what I'd expected.

Composite-82
verbal- 82
quant- 51
chem- 92
Bio- 85
Reading- 68

Sooo I know my composite is "competitive" but my GPA is fairly mediocre. I haven't fully calculated my GPA, but I suspect my SCI gpa is around a 3.3 and my cum IS a 3.5.

However my pharmacy pre-req gpa might be lower because I got a C in both micro and orgo 1....

I've been working as pharmacy tech for almost 2 years now. Doing research at my university. Have various volunteer experience.

I know the deadline for sept signup is today I believe... So just looking at what yall think I should do? Maybe a retake? I intend to apply to Texas Schools. input would be helpful!!! Going to work and won't be back till 9 tonight so hopefully I get some replies lol

Took the PCAT yesterday. My preliminary scores are:

VER: 63
QA: 40
BIO: 20 :scared:
CHEM: 28 :scared:
RA: 35
COMP: 29 :eek:

I should probably take it again in Sept, huh?

verbal ability 54
bio 91
chem 51 (haven't had organic yet)
quant 61
reading 86
composite 76

overall gpa is 3.95. math and science gpa is 4.0., 2 years of pharmacy experience and ptcb certified.

should i retake? applying to Samford

I did fairly well on the PCAT and was wondering if I would have any trouble getting into pharmacy school provided the rest of my application was up to par.

Verbal Ability- 432/91
Biology 418/74
Reading Comprehension 413/75
Quantitative Ability 423/85
Chemistry 430/88
Composite 423/89

I know I can do better, the power went out in the middle of the Reading Comprehension subtest, usually my strongest subtest. They "saved" our time but I had to reread the passage I was on and it kinda threw me for a loop. Also I'm pretty sure I could improve my Biology score, because I haven't taken Anatomy & Physiology or Microbiology yet.

Anyways I'm trying to get into Campbell University because it is close by, but I want to keep my options open.

Can anyone help me on this one? I have a big dilemma...

Verbal Ability: 10
Reading Comprehension: 47
Quantitative: 67
Biology: 97
Chemistry: 76

Composite: 66

Yeah, as you can see I scored really high on Bio, but horribly low on Verbal Ability. I studied so hard for VA section, but I still got a low score. English is my second language. However, I took all required English Compositions/Literatures and ended up with all A's. And I even got A- for COM101... I just finished up my first year of college. I think I did pretty well on Chem section, considering I haven't taken any Ochems yet.

Could someone please give me their opinions on this one? I'm really worried right now. And I'm hoping to get into Roseman.

Last edited:
Verbal Ability: 52
Biology: 92
Reading Comprehension: 68
Quantitative Ability: 45
Chemistry: 93
Composite: 81

Can someone help me on this?
My quantitative score is really bad...not to mention my verbal and reading. :bang:
Should I retake the PCAT? Would a low quantitative score reflect badly?
If I were to retake the PCAT and I receive lower scores on my science sections, would that look bad as well?
Advice please?

I took PCAT yesterday. My scores are
VA - 18 %tile :(
Bio - 92
RC - 25 :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:
QA - 85
Chem - 99

Composite - 82 %tile :annoyed:

I am so stressed out since I saw my Verbal and Reading score. I even cried like an hour before I post this. ( I know I am crazy!! :( ) My GPA is 3.7 and English is my second language.
Should I retake it? What do you guys think?

I took PCAT yesterday. My scores are
VA - 18 %tile :(
Bio - 92
RC - 25 :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:
QA - 85
Chem - 99

Composite - 82 %tile :annoyed:

I am so stressed out since I saw my Verbal and Reading score. I even cried like an hour before I post this. ( I know I am crazy!! :( ) My GPA is 3.7 and English is my second language.
Should I retake it? What do you guys think?
I could cry harder than you did when i looked at my score :(
VA 22
Bio 91
RC 6 :eek::thumbdown:
QA 96
Chem 97

Composite 78

It would be great if someone can give me some advice about my score also :scared:.

how the school will think when they look at it if English also is my second language, and how many percent i can get in with GPA 3.73 and 3 years pharmacy experience. And i really dont want to retake it at all. I studied it along with 5 classes at school for this whole summer and i am so exhausted to retake it.
btw, I'm planning to apply to Mercer in GA; I called and ask them yesterday about my score. they said they just care if the composite is above 70...but i dont think that will be really what they mean when they look at the applications right?

Here is my situation. I want to apply early to my top pick school. My school has an average pcat score of 73 from those accepted last year and an average GPA of 3.5

My PCAT is depressing
Reading 60
Quant 16 :)eek:) I was so sick when i took this section...still horrified)
Bio 69
Chem 76
Verbal 78

Composite 64

Still waiting on the writing. These scores are miserable by most standards but not too far from what my school averages. Also, my school states in it's catalog uses a regression formula that only takes into account my chem, bio and reading with my GPA. My GPA is a 3.98 and I have As in Calculus, Trig. I have no idea how quant happened to be 16 :( I also have great letters of recommendation. How likely is it that my GPA can override this God awful score and that my reading, bio and chem are good enough in that regression formula to get me an interview?

Still waiting on the writing. These scores are miserable by most standards but not too far from what my school averages. Also, my school states in it's catalog uses a regression formula that only takes into account my chem, bio and reading with my GPA. My GPA is a 3.98 and I have As in Calculus, Trig. I have no idea how quant happened to be 16 :( I also have great letters of recommendation. How likely is it that my GPA can override this God awful score and that my reading, bio and chem are good enough in that regression formula to get me an interview?
i got A in all of my science classes too but one thing i know that you will forget about those in 3 months if you dont use them at all. therefore, if you ask me why you just have 16, that would be my answer :thumbup:.
from what i research for last year, ppl usually use PCAT score to cover up their suck GPA though. If you have too high GPA and bad score it may look bad since the school may wonder how did you get an A in the class :idea:. that is just my opinion, i have my problem to deal with also, which is worse than yours though :)

I could cry harder than you did when i looked at my score :(
VA 22
Bio 91
RC 6 :eek::thumbdown:
QA 96
Chem 97

Composite 78

It would be great if someone can give me some advice about my score also :scared:.

how the school will think when they look at it if English also is my second language, and how many percent i can get in with GPA 3.73 and 3 years pharmacy experience. And i really dont want to retake it at all. I studied it along with 5 classes at school for this whole summer and i am so exhausted to retake it.
btw, I'm planning to apply to Mercer in GA; I called and ask them yesterday about my score. they said they just care if the composite is above 70...but i dont think that will be really what they mean when they look at the applications right?

Oh wow! I don't know what to say. You are right, you could cry harder. That would be really great if they don't really look at the subtest score. But I doubt that. I asked my advisor and she said, they look at the highest composite score and then the sub-scores that are tied to that highest composite. She recommend me to retake it. But like you said, I am so exhausted to retake it too. :scared:

Took the PCAT yesterday. My preliminary scores are:

VER: 63
QA: 40
BIO: 20 :scared:
CHEM: 28 :scared:
RA: 35
COMP: 29 :eek:

I should probably take it again in Sept, huh?

My question to you is, how do you think you will better prepare yourself in only 9-10 weeks? I was considering retaking the PCAT as well after seeing my score from a few days ago, but I had to ask myself some questions...
1. Will I have enough time available to study enough to improve?
2. Will I be able to study for the PCAT and also focus on my fall courses?
3. Would it be better to wait until the January PCAT? (which can get in the way of applying/interviews/etc)

In short, evaluate why you didn't do well. Did you not study (enough or at all)? Have you not taken all of the necessary classes to succeed on the PCAT? Do you need more practice? Was time constraint an issue on each section?

Lastly, my first PCAT was January of 2012 and my score was bad too. Evaluate your weaknesses and that will help you for the next time. Don't rush into the September PCAT if you are not ready. There is no point in spending $200 if you aren't well prepared. I picked up the Princeton Review's Cracking the PCAT 2012-2013 book and it gave a lot of helpful tips for test taking skills. I found it quite helpful and was able to raise my score by a lot (not as high as I'd like, but a significant improvement from the first time)

Oh wow! I don't know what to say. You are right, you could cry harder. That would be really great if they don't really look at the subtest score. But I doubt that. I asked my advisor and she said, they look at the highest composite score and then the sub-scores that are tied to that highest composite. She recommend me to retake it. But like you said, I am so exhausted to retake it too. :scared:
I will ask randomly 5 ppl and see what they say. If 3 out of 5 say just keep it then i wont retake it

The only real way to know if you should retake the test is to look at the the requirements for the schools you wish to apply to.

Verbal Ability: 63
Biology: 99
Reading Comprehension: 60
Quantitative Ability: 72
Chemistry: 85
Composite: 90

I'm trying to applying early decision to UMB, I didn't do too well on all the non-science section. I was wondering if they would affect my chances. Should I retake?

My GPA is 3.3. I have gone on three medical missions where i was able to get some experience working in the pharmacy, but the setting is very different and limited.

I agree with everything you said, but keep in mind that if you take Jan 2013 PCAT you can't apply to most schools!!
If Sept PCAT seems too soon then should prepare to wait a year to apply next year..

My question to you is, how do you think you will better prepare yourself in only 9-10 weeks? I was considering retaking the PCAT as well after seeing my score from a few days ago, but I had to ask myself some questions...
1. Will I have enough time available to study enough to improve?
2. Will I be able to study for the PCAT and also focus on my fall courses?
3. Would it be better to wait until the January PCAT? (which can get in the way of applying/interviews/etc)

In short, evaluate why you didn't do well. Did you not study (enough or at all)? Have you not taken all of the necessary classes to succeed on the PCAT? Do you need more practice? Was time constraint an issue on each section?

Lastly, my first PCAT was January of 2012 and my score was bad too. Evaluate your weaknesses and that will help you for the next time. Don't rush into the September PCAT if you are not ready. There is no point in spending $200 if you aren't well prepared. I picked up the Princeton Review's Cracking the PCAT 2012-2013 book and it gave a lot of helpful tips for test taking skills. I found it quite helpful and was able to raise my score by a lot (not as high as I'd like, but a significant improvement from the first time)