The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Verbal - 412 - 71
Biology - 449 - 96
Reading - 406 - 60
Quantitative - 407 - 55
Chemistry - 407 - 65
Composite - 415 - 78

Convention of Language - 3
Problem Solving - 4

GPA Overall 3.8
Science is a 3.67.

You tell me if I should retake because my scores are so lobsided.

Should I retake?

verbal ability: 93
biology: 90
reading comp: 89
quant ability: 91
chemistry: 69
composite: 92

4 and 3 on the writing

UT Austin. I have a overall GPA 3.91, science GPA 3.8.

Don't forget that UT doesn't seem put as much weight in the PCAT as most other schools do.

Their chemistry scores from last year were an average of 75.5 with a standard deviation of 22. So a number of people in their entering class probably had 50s for their chemistry sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that UT doesn't seem put as much weight in the PCAT as most other schools do.

Their chemistry scores from last year were an average of 75.5 with a standard deviation of 22. So a number of people in their entering class probably had 50s for their chemistry sections.

Oh I love you knickerbocker. You've just made my day! Here I was thinking I have no chance against you guys with your 90+ scores feeling pretty bad for myself and pretty stupid for not studying more (especially chem... why did I not study more for chem :confused:) but you've given me hope :oops:

I guess if I'm lucky enough to get an interview I'll just have to do AMAZING in the interview.

This is a great blog. You guys have already helped me so much. Please tell me what you think of my scores. Most of my top choice schools don't even require the PCAT (top schools include san francisco, USC, Rutgers, South Carolina, and Seattle) I'm interested in hearing an objective view on what you think of my chances?
Verbal 431 89%
Bio 441 94%
Reading 419 79%
Quant. 408 67% (ouch)
Chem 431 89%
Composite 426 90%
Conventions of Language 3.0 (mean=2.88)
Problem solving 3.0 (mean=2.76)

Undergrad GPA = 3.2
major chemistry minor statistics
employed as a chemist at a pharmaceutical company (3 years)
have a patent and a publication
The only course I ever failed was multivariable calculus i took it again and got a B+ so with my low quantitative score do you think its important to take the PCATs again. I sent these scores out, can I take the exam again THEN decide if I want to send out the scores in June?
Thanks!

So I have been lurking and reading this forum for some time now, and I thought now was the time to get some input on the January examination. First, I suppose it is in order for me to tell you all a bit about my GPA and things because ultimately, I want to know if I should retake the exam.

At a very good school known for Chemistry and Engineering:
Overall GPA: 3.68 (no "C's", just many "B's".)
Pre-req GPA: 3.83
I have a published piece of work with a patent on the actual material.
The former fact was accomplished with undergraduate research; 2 semesters of it, and more this summer.
Involved in many campus organizations, and started one my own.
In some honor societies, but I am sure they just want money and don't mean much.
I have been a Supplemental Instructor (basically an undergraduate TA) in Chemistry, Biology, and Calculus.
I am pretty good with interviews, but....
I HAVE NO PHARMACY EXPERIENCE!!!

The most recent examination of the PCAT (January) was my first time taking it. I would ultimately like to get into a school that is close to home (the Peach state; Georgia.) So I am applying (for sure, but it may be more) in the Fall of 2009 to:

University of Florida (Out of state but father and grandfather both attended there)
University of Georgia (In state residence wise, yet I go to school out of state)
MUSC (Charleston) (I have a pretty famous relative there with a building named after him; I also have much of my family in the beautiful coast of South Carolina in Charleston.)
Auburn (Very close to home, but east Alabama is comparable to a third world country.)

My PCAT went well for my first time in my opinion. The following are the percentages:

Verbal Ability: 81
Biology: 83
Reading Comprehension: 96
Quantitative Ability: 75
Chemistry: 74
Composite: 87

Conventions of Language: 3
Problem Solving: 3

I am very surprised that I scored so well in reading comprehension. That has usually been my weakest area, and I was pleased to see that I did well. Regardless, both Math and Science are stereotypically my best areas of study, and yet I didn't do too well on either. With all that being said, should I retake with what you have read about me to get in the schools formally mentioned? Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated; I am a bit naive when it comes this process, and what I need to do. Thanks.

Verbal - 412 - 71
Biology - 449 - 96
Reading - 406 - 60
Quantitative - 407 - 55
Chemistry - 407 - 65
Composite - 415 - 78

Problem Solving - 4

GPA Overall 3.8
Science is a 3.67.

I think your score will make you a competitive applicant for next year's application cycle. I'd say you should apply early in the cycle (July) and should focus most of your time on securing LOR's and gaining more quality experience for your application.

Should I retake?

4 and 3 on the writing

Great score! With your score there really is no need for you to retake... If you want to prove your chemistry knowledge to ADCOMs just do well in your chemistry courses. I wouldn't risk your high composite/sections for a better chemistry sub-section score. I know some schools focus more on chemistry, but it just depends on the admissions committee - contact the school for the most accurate info. Great job!

This is a great blog. You guys have already helped me so much. Please tell me what you think of my scores. Most of my top choice schools don't even require the PCAT (top schools include san francisco, USC, Rutgers, South Carolina, and Seattle) I'm interested in hearing an objective view on what you think of my chances?
Verbal 431 89%
Bio 441 94%
Reading 419 79%
Quant. 408 67% (ouch)
Chem 431 89%
Composite 426 90%

Undergrad GPA = 3.2
The only course I ever failed was multivariable calculus i took it again and got a B+ so with my low quantitative score do you think its important to take the PCATs again. I sent these scores out, can I take the exam again THEN decide if I want to send out the scores in June?
Thanks!

Well your PCAT score looks great to me...I wouldn't think twice about retaking. If I'm not mistaken, non-PCAT schools usually have pretty high GPA standards for admission (just because it's the only solid criteria they have to judge you on), but like I said, it depends on the school. Always talk to your school before you rely on other people's advice. Since you did so well on the PCAT, why not apply to some more PCAT-requiring schools. If you're looking into CALI schools, why not try Midwestern CPG and University of Arizona? Best of luck!

My mother just told me these scores:

These are the percentiles:
Verbal: 40
Biology: 65
Reading Composition: 53
Quantitative: 67
Chemistry: 42

Composite: 53

My GPA is 3.48 and I'm a double major(BS) in Biology and Biochemistry.

I've applied to these universities:

Touro University
LECOM Bradenton School of Pharmacy
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy - Boston
Minnesota, University of
Campbell University
Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University
St. John Fisher College
Long Island University
Buffalo - SUNY, University at
Temple University
LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy
Shenandoah University
Appalachia, University of
Charleston, University of

This was my first taking the PCATs, It seems to be a very bad score... Any chance of getting in anywhere???

Here's a list of activities that I've done: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=470849

Hi all,

So im mostly applying to cali schools which dont require pcats but i took them for the few out of states im applying to and in case any of the cali schools want to peek.

my scores were

verbal 445 96
biology 441 94
reading comp 414 71
math 429 89
chemistry 403 59
composite 426 90

writing 4,3

what do you recommend?

Overall, your scores are very solid. Its that pesky 59 I think is bothering you. If you're taking classes and can show you have a number of A's in chem classes, I think you might be fine. Also, for Cali schools it doesnt matter much because they dont ever look at the scores if they say they dont. Do you have any brilliant friends you can appeal to for help? Im sure theyd be more than happy to impart some wisdom if only you would stop pointing out their socially awkward moments, thereby magnifying the situation twenty-fold. jerk.
:p

Hi all,

So im mostly applying to cali schools which dont require pcats but i took them for the few out of states im applying to and in case any of the cali schools want to peek.

my scores were

verbal 445 96
biology 441 94
reading comp 414 71
math 429 89
chemistry 403 59
composite 426 90

writing 4,3

what do you recommend?

OCT 07' JAN 08'
verbal ability 368/10%----- 405 / 60%
biology 415/74%----------- 419/ 78%
Reading Comprehension 397/44%--- 381/ 23% :oops:
Quantitative Ability 405/62%------- 414/ 75%
Chemistry 404/60%---------- 418/ 79%
composite 398/47%---------- 407/ 64%

writing scores
convention of language 3------ 3
problem solving 3----------- 2 oh my God!!!

I applied to this schools:
MCPHS-boston-----waitlisted
NEU----Haven't heard
NOVA southeastern---No replies yet
Purdue and Shenandoah--Rejected:mad:
VCU---Nothing yet

Great LORS/ 1.5 years of research experience, Pharmacy volunteer experience, 3.51 overall GPA and 3.57 science GPA
Few extracurriculars.

What do you think is my outlook for the fall 2008 entering class? :scared:

Hey guys, this is my first time seeing this forum, but I noticed everyone was reviewing pcat scores and stuff and I wanted to see what people think my chances are of getting into UMKC's program. I'm a 3rd year student at Missouri Western State University in st. joe, mo and I have Org, Org2, and Micro Bio out of the way along with all of the prereqs. I've worked at a pharmacy for 5 years, 3 as a technician. Heres my pcat scores for my most recent test:

Verbal: 85%
Biology: 83%
Reading Comp: 89%
Quantitative Ability: 61% :mad:
Chemistry: 86%
Composite: 86%
Essays: 3/3

I have a GPA of 3.73 and a math/science GPA of 3.75
also, I'm an Eagle Scout if that helps, and I already have an interview. Just let me know what you guys think!

I'd say with that high a GPA, PCAT, and pharmacy and volunteer/leadership experience, you have a great chance.

People do realize that barely anyone is going to have a 95+ PCAT, 3.9+ GPA, and 1 yr+ experience, right? If you have a PCAT in the 80s AND an A average GPA AND experience AND volunteer work, what exactly do you think might hold you back?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am technically not the pharmacy student. My boyfriend took his PCAT and has been going through the whole process of interviews and he just interviewed at his top choice University of Colorado-Denver. He is biting his nails with worry so I thought I'd look around for some reassurance online. Hope you don't mind. So his score was a 97 and this is how it broke down:
Verbal ability:82
Biology:87
Reading comprehension:82
Quantitative ability:95
Chemistry:99
Writing scores were 3.0
He has interviewed at 3 private schools in Florida(where we live) and has been accepted to all 3 but their time has already passed for him to accept the invitation. He has interviewed at Mercer in Atlanta and was accepted there, he put down a deposit just in case. Maryland he interviewed at but they do not decide until April. He was invited for interviews to all the schools he applied to, and still has UF to interview for this month.
Colorado is our dream destination, and I guess I've come on here to ask how much the PCAT scores matter? What are the chances he WON'T get accepted to CO? Is being invited for an interview half the battle?
He has a 3.5 gpa and a 3.9 for his major. He is a molecular/micro Biology major with a minor in Chemistry. He is currently a senior at UCF.
Again, hope you don't mind I'm doing this for him and would appreciate any thoughts shared: )

I Recieved My Scores Today And They Were As Follows:
Verbal: 421/81
Biology: 424/83
Reading Comp: 437/94
Quant: 392/40:(
Chemisrty 422/82
Composite 419/83
Writing: 3/3.5

I Was A Biology Major In College ( With A Chemistry Minor) And My Grades Were Average. I Have Been Working In Pharmacies For The Last 5 Years Including Inpatient And Outpatient. I Have Extensive Knowledge Regarding The Pharmacy Profession But Am Only An Average Student. Please Somebody Respond To Let Me Know My Chances. I Am Starting To Get Dishearted By The Whole Thing.

Verbal - 412 - 71
Biology - 449 - 96
Reading - 406 - 60
Quantitative - 407 - 55
Chemistry - 407 - 65
Composite - 415 - 78

Problem Solving - 4

GPA Overall 3.8
Science is a 3.67.

Check your schools for section minimums as that 55 in math may be a problem. Your GPA, especially the strong science gpa, helps compensate well. Your high biology score seems to indicate that your biology skills are strong enough where even a drop to 90 on a retake might be worth the risk if you retake just to get over that 80. A 78 is presentable but you could retake as you're low enough where well rounded improvement could get you in the mid-80s if not higher.

Should I retake?

4 and 3 on the writing

I wouldn't. A lot of people would love to switch places with you given that you have a 90+ in many sections and the composite. I got into multiple schools with a 71 in bio. Good chemistry grades balance out a low chemistry score.

Verbal 431 89%
Bio 441 94%
Reading 419 79%
Quant. 408 67% (ouch)
Chem 431 89%
Composite 426 90%

Undergrad GPA = 3.2
Thanks!

You have a good composite and excellent science scores. It'll help balance out that 3.2 GPA to at least put you in the middle of the pack. Of course, the California schools won't care as much about the PCAT, so that GPA becomes more of an issue.

To answer your last question, you could not designate any schools and PharmCAS when registering for the PCAT. You then designate after seeing the score. Of course, that will take some time. Also note that your schools may only care about your highest score. Check with the PCAT schools.

So I have been lurking and reading this forum for some time now, and I thought now was the time to get some input on the January examination. First, I suppose it is in order for me to tell you all a bit about my GPA and things because ultimately, I want to know if I should retake the exam.

At a very good school known for Chemistry and Engineering:
Overall GPA: 3.68 (no "C's", just many "B's".)
Pre-req GPA: 3.83
I have a published piece of work with a patent on the actual material.
The former fact was accomplished with undergraduate research; 2 semesters of it, and more this summer.
Involved in many campus organizations, and started one my own.
In some honor societies, but I am sure they just want money and don't mean much.
I have been a Supplemental Instructor (basically an undergraduate TA) in Chemistry, Biology, and Calculus.
I am pretty good with interviews, but....
I HAVE NO PHARMACY EXPERIENCE!!!

The most recent examination of the PCAT (January) was my first time taking it. I would ultimately like to get into a school that is close to home (the Peach state; Georgia.) So I am applying (for sure, but it may be more) in the Fall of 2009 to:

University of Florida (Out of state but father and grandfather both attended there)
University of Georgia (In state residence wise, yet I go to school out of state)
MUSC (Charleston) (I have a pretty famous relative there with a building named after him; I also have much of my family in the beautiful coast of South Carolina in Charleston.)
Auburn (Very close to home, but east Alabama is comparable to a third world country.)

My PCAT went well for my first time in my opinion. The following are the percentages:

Verbal Ability: 81
Biology: 83
Reading Comprehension: 96
Quantitative Ability: 75
Chemistry: 74
Composite: 87

Conventions of Language: 3
Problem Solving: 3

I am very surprised that I scored so well in reading comprehension. That has usually been my weakest area, and I was pleased to see that I did well. Regardless, both Math and Science are stereotypically my best areas of study, and yet I didn't do too well on either. With all that being said, should I retake with what you have read about me to get in the schools formally mentioned? Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated; I am a bit naive when it comes this process, and what I need to do. Thanks.

You have a lot of in-state schools like U of Florida. Do note that those schools have a preference for in-state students making the out-of-state student competition super competitive even for those with a good GPA and PCAT score like you. The purpose of any retake would be to get into the 90 stratosphere for better visuals.

I got in without pharmacy experience with a worse GPA, but my schools weren't as competitive as yours. Also, note the numerous prereqs required for Auburn. I learned that the hard way.:oops:
My mother just told me these scores:

These are the percentiles:
Verbal: 40
Biology: 65
Reading Composition: 53
Quantitative: 67
Chemistry: 42

Composite: 53

My GPA is 3.48 and I'm a double major(BS) in Biology and Biochemistry.

I've applied to these universities:

Touro University
LECOM Bradenton School of Pharmacy
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy - Boston
Minnesota, University of
Campbell University
Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University
St. John Fisher College
Long Island University
Buffalo - SUNY, University at
Temple University
LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy
Shenandoah University
Appalachia, University of
Charleston, University of

This was my first taking the PCATs, It seems to be a very bad score... Any chance of getting in anywhere???

Here's a list of activities that I've done: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=470849

I recommend a retake as a 53 could scare a lot of those schools away even with a decent GPA. Aside from any personal or in-state advantage you may have, you have a tough road ahead.

Hi all,

my scores were

verbal 445 96
biology 441 94
reading comp 414 71
math 429 89
chemistry 403 59
composite 426 90

writing 4,3

what do you recommend?

Those Cali schools shouldn't really peak and they probably wouldn't care. It's a little tough call as you don't want to give up the 9 in the tens place of your score just to get that chemistry score up. Check with your schools to see how much importance they put on section scores.

OCT 07' JAN 08'
verbal ability 368/10%----- 405 / 60%
biology 415/74%----------- 419/ 78%
Reading Comprehension 397/44%--- 381/ 23% :oops:
Quantitative Ability 405/62%------- 414/ 75%
Chemistry 404/60%---------- 418/ 79%
composite 398/47%---------- 407/ 64%

writing scores
convention of language 3------ 3
problem solving 3----------- 2 oh my God!!!

I applied to this schools:
MCPHS-boston-----waitlisted
NEU----Haven't heard
NOVA southeastern---No replies yet
Purdue and Shenandoah--Rejected:mad:
VCU---Nothing yet

Great LORS/ 1.5 years of research experience, Pharmacy volunteer experience, 3.51 overall GPA and 3.57 science GPA
Few extracurriculars.

What do you think is my outlook for the fall 2008 entering class? :scared:

Given your pattern of rejections and waitlists, it's seems clear that your PCAT is your application's albatross. You have an above average GPA and science GPA. Though you may want to improve on your extracurriculars and pharmacy experience, people have gotten in with less. You should retake.

Hey guys, this is my first time seeing this forum, but I noticed everyone was reviewing pcat scores and stuff and I wanted to see what people think my chances are of getting into UMKC's program. I'm a 3rd year student at Missouri Western State University in st. joe, mo and I have Org, Org2, and Micro Bio out of the way along with all of the prereqs. I've worked at a pharmacy for 5 years, 3 as a technician. Heres my pcat scores for my most recent test:

Verbal: 85%
Biology: 83%
Reading Comp: 89%
Quantitative Ability: 61% :mad:
Chemistry: 86%
Composite: 86%
Essays: 3/3

I have a GPA of 3.73 and a math/science GPA of 3.75
also, I'm an Eagle Scout if that helps, and I already have an interview. Just let me know what you guys think!

I remember that UMKC is a little more unique in the way they consider PCAT scores. Your application is solid with great GPAs and well rounded PCAT section scores. That math school is a blemish but it can be overcome. I think that you'll be fine.

I am technically not the pharmacy student. My boyfriend took his PCAT and has been going through the whole process of interviews and he just interviewed at his top choice University of Colorado-Denver. He is biting his nails with worry so I thought I'd look around for some reassurance online. Hope you don't mind. So his score was a 97 and this is how it broke down:
Verbal ability:82
Biology:87
Reading comprehension:82
Quantitative ability:95
Chemistry:99
Writing scores were 3.0
He has interviewed at 3 private schools in Florida(where we live) and has been accepted to all 3 but their time has already passed for him to accept the invitation. He has interviewed at Mercer in Atlanta and was accepted there, he put down a deposit just in case. Maryland he interviewed at but they do not decide until April. He was invited for interviews to all the schools he applied to, and still has UF to interview for this month.
Colorado is our dream destination, and I guess I've come on here to ask how much the PCAT scores matter? What are the chances he WON'T get accepted to CO? Is being invited for an interview half the battle?
He has a 3.5 gpa and a 3.9 for his major. He is a molecular/micro Biology major with a minor in Chemistry. He is currently a senior at UCF.
Again, hope you don't mind I'm doing this for him and would appreciate any thoughts shared: )

Regarding your recent post, you just have to be patient. PCAT scores are just one part of the equation, and how much depends on the school. If he doesn't get into Colorado, it won't be due to his stellar and well rounded PCAT scores. It might be due to residency issues as Colorado likes their Colorado residing students.

I agree that getting an interview is winning half, if not more of the battle, not everybody gets an interview and some schools pare their pool by 3/4 to determine their interview pool.

I Recieved My Scores Today And They Were As Follows:
Verbal: 421/81
Biology: 424/83
Reading Comp: 437/94
Quant: 392/40:(
Chemisrty 422/82
Composite 419/83
Writing: 3/3.5

I Was A Biology Major In College ( With A Chemistry Minor) And My Grades Were Average. I Have Been Working In Pharmacies For The Last 5 Years Including Inpatient And Outpatient. I Have Extensive Knowledge Regarding The Pharmacy Profession But Am Only An Average Student. Please Somebody Respond To Let Me Know My Chances. I Am Starting To Get Dishearted By The Whole Thing.

I see your score as a middle-of-the-road score. They are good and the reading sort of balances the math. I'd look for schools that really look at only the science sections or composite only. Your pharmacy experience will help.

How's your GPA?

Only a 3.2... I sorta wonder if with that GPA I will never have a chance to get in. I mean even if one day I decided to retake the PCAT and scored awesome, and even with my extensive pharmacy knowledge...I don't think I will never get in. Oh well:mad:

I am a first time taker
here is my scores:
Verbal 387 31
biol434 90
reading 406 60
Quat 455 97
Chem 448 96
composite 436 90

My verbal is bloody and reading is terrible too. Will they admit me?:confused::confused:

Only a 3.2... I sorta wonder if with that GPA I will never have a chance to get in. I mean even if one day I decided to retake the PCAT and scored awesome, and even with my extensive pharmacy knowledge...I don't think I will never get in. Oh well:mad:
You pretty much have the exact score I did when I was accepted in November. Except where you scored high in reading and low in math, I scored low in reading and high in math. In the end, my first PCAT was an 83 composite and my gpa is a 3.2. My advice, apply to rolling admission schools at the beginning of the 09 cycle (July/August) and you do have a shot with the right extracurriculars and your experience.

So I guess my boyfriend's scores were great if no one bothered to reply.

Look at what I posted right before your first post - most people are not going to have absolutely amazing stats. You're posting a 97 in a "Should I retake?" thread. Do you really think anyone is going ot say "No, 97 stinks, you should retake"?

Sorry, that may come off as mean - what I'm trying to say is your boyfriend has good stats. It's impressive that even his lowest section score is an 82.

Honestly I was searching for Pharmacy forums and got linked into this thread so that is why I posted in it. I didn't really look around for other better suiting titles. I obviously didn't think he should retake it, I just wanted the other questions about the Pharmacy school process answered.

I am a first time taker
here is my scores:
Verbal 387 31
biol434 90
reading 406 60
Quat 455 97
Chem 448 96
composite 436 90

My verbal is bloody and reading is terrible too. Will they admit me?:confused::confused:
Target the schools that really look at the composite only. Some schools may look at individual scores and you should shy away from those given your low verbal score.

Verbal: 99
Quantitative: 99
Chemistry: 99
Biology: 99
Reading: 99
Writing: 5 and 5

You guys think anywhere will accept me? I have a 4.0 GPA.

It depends. If an applicant acts unprofessionally at the interviews, then I suppose schools could stay away from such a person.

LOL. Tell me you're kidding. You're asking to be slapped around by everyone in this thread.

I don't think those things really matter. I go to Ohio State and work as a pharm. tech, and the pharmacist I work with used to work with Jim Tressel's son. He said his son was rejected twice at Ohio State before finally going up to a different pharmacy school. And in case you don't know...Jim Tressel is the head football coach and the season tickets are sold out for football every year.

On the other hand, Good luck for pharmacy school! Auburn has an ED program that you might want to consider.

wow, how did you all do so well??????????????? im taking mine this august and am freaking out so badly,, any tips??

same here, unless u are joking, you may be asking to be slapped,,,!!!!!!!!!!1

hey guys,
I took my Kaplan Diagnostic on Saturday and I got a 407 as the composite score.
Is there there anyway I can predict what percentile that would be?
thanks.

hey guys,
I took my Kaplan Diagnostic on Saturday and I got a 407 as the composite score.
Is there there anyway I can predict what percentile that would be?
thanks.

You can predict a little. Ask Kaplan, the place where you took your exam; Out of all the people who took the Kaplan Diagnostic exam, how many percent performed worse than you? For example, Did you perform better than 50 percent of test takers who took the same exam?

You can go as far as asking: how many percent of test takers who scored 407 composite score on the Kaplan diagnostic received interviews or earned admission to pharmacy school?

I definitely think you have a chance at an interview with most schools with your experiences and pcat scores..once you have an interview bedazzled them lol its really important! my friend who had lower composite score of a 67 made it to South University 3 years accelerated program because she was a 26 years old with plenty of life experiences and aced her interviews, she got a call from them 2 days later!!!! I have a 3.2 also and although my pcat scores are a bit higher (and less pharmacy experiences) i was still wait-listed at the school i wanted to go, however i got accepted at other institution! I eventually got accepted to UB a month after they wait-listed me so it all ends well! =D take a chance and best of luck to you

You can predict a little. Ask Kaplan, the place where you took your exam; Out of all the people who took the Kaplan Diagnostic exam, how many percent performed worse than you? For example, Did you perform better than 50 percent of test takers who took the same exam?

You can go as far as asking: how many percent of test takers who scored 407 composite score on the Kaplan diagnostic received interviews or earned admission to pharmacy school?

thank you.
i called thm up and they said my score is around a range of 65 percentile.

thank you.
i called thm up and they said my score is around a range of 65 percentile.

Based on the percentiles they give in the Kaplan lesson book (I'm taking the class), a composite between 395-409 would be in the 50th-64th percentile.

I got my June 2008 PCAT Scores and was hoping to get some input. I have my thoughts and opinions too but thought I'd leave them out for an unbiased interpretation.

Verbal: 89 (431)
Biology: 94 (453)
Reading Comp: 32 (392)
Quantitative: 97 (456)
Chemistry: 95 (450)
Composite: 95 (436)

Writing scores:
Conventions of lanuage: 3.0 (2.9 mean)
Problem Solving: 3.0 (2.93 mean)

I got my June 2008 PCAT Scores and was hoping to get some input. I have my thoughts and opinions too but thought I'd leave them out for an unbiased interpretation.

Writing scores:

Many schools don't give a crap about your other scores and you have stellar scores all the way around. Other schools may look only at your best composite making a retake moot since you can't do much better.

I'd only retake if your #1 school looks at section scores. My school looked at the English sections and getting a 92 and 94 helped that cause.:)

Writing scores:

Wow, those are great scores! :)

Many schools don't give a crap about your other scores and you have stellar scores all the way around. Other schools may look only at your best composite making a retake moot since you can't do much better.

I'd only retake if your #1 school looks at section scores. My school looked at the English sections and getting a 92 and 94 helped that cause.:)

Sweet! Thanks for you input!

HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY! :laugh:

Make sure you check out my spreadsheet in the first posts to see if your schools consider section scores before you jump for joy. I need to reiterate that some schools do care about sections.

Will do. I'm heading to that post now. Thanks again!

Make sure you check out my spreadsheet in the first posts to see if your schools consider section scores before you jump for joy. I need to reiterate that some schools do care about sections.

Sorry if I'm blind, but I too am interested, but all I could find was "Average PCAT Scores by Institution-SDN Version 2-1.pdf".

Is this the right file? It doesn't list whether the schools look at only the composite score or at the section scores.

Thanks!

Sorry if I'm blind, but I too am interested, but all I could find was "Average PCAT Scores by Institution-SDN Version 2-1.pdf".

Is this the right file? It doesn't list whether the schools look at only the composite score or at the section scores.

Thanks!

It would be in the notes section. I found info for some schools, but not for others if I remember correctly.

I'll probably revise that list to incorporate that information.

Hey guys, first post here.

Just received my June 2008 PCAT scores. This was my first PCAT test.

I plan on applying to the University of Iowa (my #1 choice). Should I re-take?

Writing Scores:
Conventions of Language: 3.0 (Mean = 2.90)
Problem Solving: 3.0 (Mean = 2.93)

Verbal Ability: 411/66
Biology: 412/68
Reading Comprehension: 407/57
Quantitative Ability: 422/77
Chemistry: 443/93

Composite: 419/79

Currently, my cumulative GPA is 3.82 and my Math/Science GPA is 3.73

Hey guys, first post here.

Just received my June 2008 PCAT scores. This was my first PCAT test.

I plan on applying to the University of Iowa (my #1 choice). Should I re-take?

Writing Scores:
Conventions of Language: 3.0 (Mean = 2.90)
Problem Solving: 3.0 (Mean = 2.93)

Verbal Ability: 411/66
Biology: 412/68
Reading Comprehension: 407/57
Quantitative Ability: 422/77
Chemistry: 443/93

Composite: 419/79

Currently, my cumulative GPA is 3.82 and my Math/Science GPA is 3.73

I applied and got accepted into Iowa in 2007. I don't think you need to retake with your GPA especially if you go to Iowa right now. I forget Iowa's average PCAT but I believe that you are in the competitive range of that school.

I applied and got accepted into Iowa in 2007. I don't think you need to retake with your GPA especially if you go to Iowa right now. I forget Iowa's average PCAT but I believe that you are in the competitive range of that school.

Hey omnione, thanks for your reply! BTW, this thread was VERY helpful to me, thanks much for your help :)

I do go to Iowa right now. On your Excel sheet the average for Iowa in 2006 is listed at 83. That was a bit higher than I expected but it seems as though I am still somewhat in the competitive range. I also e-mailed my advisor to see how she felt. Let's hope for the best!

Hey omnione, thanks for your reply! BTW, this thread was VERY helpful to me, thanks much for your help :)

I do go to Iowa right now. On your Excel sheet the average for Iowa in 2006 is listed at 83. That was a bit higher than I expected but it seems as though I am still somewhat in the competitive range. I also e-mailed my advisor to see how she felt. Let's hope for the best!

Iowa takes a variety of students and friendly to out-of-staters. I guess the latter part doesn't bode well for you but your credentials at Iowa make you a prime candidate since they know undergrad Iowa pretty well. I somehow got in after bombing the end of the interview (FYI: DO answer the question "What questions do you have about Iowa?". I said I didn't have any questions and the faculty member gave me a dark stare.) It's a good school so I hope you get in there.

I am a senior chemistry major with one semester of college left. I will graduate in December with a BS in Chemistry and a minor in Human Biology. My GPA is 3.786 and my math/science GPA is 3.882. I unfortunately have no pharmacy/pharm tech experience short of a little bit of job shadowing.

My June PCAT scores are:

Verbal 431: 89%
Biology 433: 90%
Reading 399: 43%
Quantitative 419: 73%
Chemistry 432: 86%

Composite 423: 84%

Writing: 3.0 & 3.0

I will be applying to Midwestern CCP, UIC, UMN, maybe others. I am a resident of MN originally, but could probably prove IL residence if necessary.

Last edited:
Ok so here is the deal I want to go to a college that is precandidate. Their average pcat score on your sheet is 77. Then mean GPA for the 2006 entering class was 3.3 they are estimating 3.5 for the class entering 2009 on their web page. Ok so here's the million dollar question. Am I a competitive applicant? I do plan on putting in for early admissions.

Stats on me

Been in college since 2001 have about 140 semester hours of credit. The way pharmcas will calculate my gpa will look bad b/c I goofed off in the first bit taking 4 years to get an ASD so my pharmcas gpa for my assoiates is around a 2.3. Since then I have had a kid got married work full time and go to school and my GPA is only 2.9ish for my three years following that if calculated the pharmcas way however I had one really bad semester (good reasons for it too) if you take all the credits from the second college before that semester I have a 3.045 and if you take all the credits after that semester I have a 3.15. (the 3.15 is for about the last year and a half) I waived my right to see my lor's but I think they will be awesome. (have one from my ochem instructor one from a bio instructor one from a past coworker who is now my boss and one from a friend of the family thats known me since I was about 1 years old. I have no pharmacy experience but am planning on doing 2 days shadowing in each of research pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, and retail pharmacy to help demonstrate a broad perspective of the options available to pharmacists. Next Spring I will be either ready for a bachelors or 1-2 classes away from it haven't looked that close to see for sure.

Got my scores today I was shooting for a 95 percentile since my gpa is a bit low. Well here goes....

VA: 436/92%
B: 416/74%
RC: 446/96%
QA: 412/62%
C: 423/78%

Composite: 427/88%

Writing scores
Score Mean
Conventions of Language 3.0 2.90
Problem Solving 3.5 2.93

Well thats about it any chance I'm competitive?