The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
when u guys took the practice... wat did u usually get.. wat do u think a 31/48 wud be in percentile..

I'm gonna guess... that if you can't spell words like "would" and "what"... even on an informal forum... you don't need to worry about a 31/48. I would try a different career. I'm not trying to be mean, but pharmacy school is HARD and if you need to shift into proper spelling mode it's going to be a lot harder.

I'm posting my multiple-choice scores as a point of reference. I know they're good enough to get in:
Verbal 99
Biology 98
Reading 99
Quant 97
Chem 99
Composite 99

My GPA is a 3.5+ with the science a little harder. I have a BA in English; I know how to express myself. What's confusing is this part:

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 2.5

I didn't want to blow a composite 99 just to get a 3.5 on the written portion, so I didn't retake, but I'm still confused about HOW I could do so well and then bomb the written like that, and will such a huge disparity actually negatively impact my admissions chances?

quick question (i know very little about the PCAT): do all schools count only your highest score from each category? so if you were to take the test 5 times, would they count the highest score from each section for consideration for admission?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they only look at scores from one test date. I dont think any school will mix and match scores.

I'm posting my multiple-choice scores as a point of reference. I know they're good enough to get in:
Verbal 99
Biology 98
Reading 99
Quant 97
Chem 99
Composite 99

My GPA is a 3.5+ with the science a little harder. I have a BA in English; I know how to express myself. What's confusing is this part:

Problem Solving 2.5

I didn't want to blow a composite 99 just to get a 3.5 on the written portion, so I didn't retake, but I'm still confused about HOW I could do so well and then bomb the written like that, and will such a huge disparity actually negatively impact my admissions chances?

You should definitely not retake. You have excellent scores. You would be able to get admitted to any school of your choice. Retaking the PCAT might hurt you because you may not produce the same scores the next time. You are a smart person as proven by your scores, but i personally believe that retaking the pcat might hurt you

Hi I took the PCAT for the first time in January. My scores are
Verbal 92
Biology 88
Reading Comprehension 80
Quantitative 75 :(
Chemistry 58 :scared:
Composite 85

Convention of language 3
Problem Solving 2.5

My GPA is rather low by comparison - a 3.35. I'm a biochemistry and biophysics major so I have no idea why my chemistry is so low and I am retaking the PCAT. But I don't know if I'm good enough to get into pharmacy school. I have no experience working in a pharmaceutical setting but I do undergraduate research.

Hi I took the PCAT for the first time in January. My scores are
Verbal 92
Biology 88
Reading Comprehension 80
Quantitative 75 :(
Chemistry 58 :scared:
Composite 85

Convention of language 3
Problem Solving 2.5

My GPA is rather low by comparison - a 3.35. I'm a biochemistry and biophysics major so I have no idea why my chemistry is so low and I am retaking the PCAT. But I don't know if I'm good enough to get into pharmacy school. I have no experience working in a pharmaceutical setting but I do undergraduate research.

You can get in with an improved chem score, especially if you're applying for the fall. I would try to get some pharm experience, though, as soon as you can. And write a great essay. You should get interviews with those numbers, and then it's up to you to get yourself in from there.

verbal 78
bio 85
reading 89
quantitative 83
chem 68
composite= 85
writing language/prob solving: 3/2.5 (mean 2.8)GPA: 3.271 thus far.

I wish I researched pharmacy sooner... I will be in the 2010 admission cycle.

a lot of the posts here are intimidating. seriously, 90% of the posters here have awesome stats.

Verbal 99
Biology 98
Reading 99
Quant 97
Chem 99
Composite 99

My GPA is a 3.5+
random.gif
with the science a little harder. I have a BA in English; I know how to express myself. What's confusing is this part:

Problem Solving 2.5

Those seem like damn good stats. Don't blame yourself for bombing that exam, it happens to the best of us. You should still do fairly well with admissions.

a lot of the posts here are intimidating. seriously, 90% of the posters here have awesome stats.

That's what I'm saying.... people at my school are having a hard time getting above a 70 composite... and they're are all kind of people on here with like near perfect scores... I'm scared... I'm still waiting on mine!!! Took it in June... THE AGONY!!!! :xf::oops:

should I even bother applying with my current scores? should I retake? or will my GPA make up for my score? I also have 2 awesome letters of rec.

I studied 6-8 hours a day for over a month for this damn test. man, these scores are quite embarrassing.

Major: Chemistry
Cumulative GPA: 3.79
Science GPA: 3.79

Composite 64
Verbal 72
Biology 49 (yuck!)
Reading Comp 37 (wtf?!!)
Quant 69 (better than I thought, but still embarrassing)
Chem 77 (For shame! I'm a chem major!)
Writing Sample 3.0 and 3.0

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I got my PCAT scores for June 2009:

Chem 68
Composite: 95

I realize that while my composite is high, I fear for my chemistry score. The school I want to apply to has a 60 min for Chemistry and Bio.

Thanks for all the help on the forums!

Last edited:
Hi, I just got my scores for June 2009 and I'm not sure if I should apply or retake in october.

Verbal: 81
Biology: 60
Reading: 68
Quant: 84
Chem: 58
Comp: 74

I'm not sure if the scores look at the individuals scores more for each section or if the emphasis is on the composite, if anyone knows :)

Just bought my scores and im not really sure how to feel about them, but here they are:

Verbal - 72
Bio - 75
Reading - 48
Quant- 81
Chem - 88
Composite- 79

I have a year of pharmacy experience at CVS, A lot of volunteer and extracurricular activities. I'm a chemistry major with a GPA of 3.5 and a science of about 3.65. Should i retake? Is the reading a very important party of my score? I would hate to have to do this again, what should i do?!

So i just got my scores today. Surprised and disappointed at the same time.

Verbal - 46...
Bio - 66
Reading - 68
Quant- 81
Chem - 93
Composite- 79

writing 3/3

I'm a bio major so kinda disappointed about that 66 and i knew verbal would be bad. I have about 3.5 gpa and my science gpa is a little better. I think I'm gonna retake but any advice would be helpful.

i'm a little confused as what to do as my scores are good except for my terrible reading comprehension score:

composite: 436/95%
chemistry: 485/99%
quant: 426/81%
reading comp: 402/48%
biology: 425/84%
verbal: 442/95%

should i retake or will my other scores overrule my reading comp score?

I'm pretty disappointed in my scores, but I'm still trying to decide whether to retake.

Verbal: 81
Biology: 88
Reading Comp: 42
Quantitative: 73
Chemistry: 77
Composite: 77

Writing 2.5/2.5 WHYYYY

3.6 cum gpa, 3.3 science

I'm torn. I'm afraid of retaking it because my score may drop. Also, I'd rather not go through the greuling study process again and would rather just focus on completing my application. But deep down I feel that I don't have a great chance of acceptance with a 77 and 2.5's for the writing. Please, somebody offer me some advice, anything.

Last edited:
It's not possible to get a 2.5 for Conventions of Language. You can only get a whole number of conventions of language, b/c it's only scored by one reader. You can get a decimal for the Problem Solving, b/c it's scored by two readers.

I'm looking at my sheet right now, 2.5 for both categories. That policy has probably been recently changed is what I'm guessing.

Just wanted to say this thread is awesome!! Props to the guy who started it :D I've been studying for the PCAT using Kaplan on-line; on the diagnostic and mid-term I scored in the 400's across the board and thought I was doing badly, but you guys have given me hope - thanks everyone I'll be taking the october test wish me luck :xf:

The moral here, I am far from the smartest guy in the room, but I can rival anyone on my aptitude or convictions for wanting to become a pharmacist. I did so not because of the application process, but to hopefully be at an ailing patient's bedside and have the spirit to look them (and their family) in the eye and give all my knowledge to help see them through. Trust me, if you make it in... and start practicing...you will be presented with this type of situation (could be an APPE or actual job). Pharmacy is a practice; it is a practice that many people confide in and consider one of the most trusted healthcare professions. So although it is important to do reasonably well academically, there are some things you can't BS. Therefore, get through the weed out and focus on articulating your reasons for becoming a pharmacist. You will find not only the interviews are easier, but a see your own remedial reasoning for undertaking an immense responsibility. Good luck!

Thanks so much for this!! I've been so caught up in the application process and test and everything else that I was starting to forget why I wanted to go into this field in the first place.

I haven't worked in a pharmacy but I have worked with pharmacists inpatient (I was a unit coordinator for a surgical unit and an ICU/CCU), and would often run meds, labs, and results for diagnostic tests in emergency situations - I've seen people die, and cried behind my chart while our efforts failed, but I've also seen people survive and come back to thank us. I miss working with patients and hopefully if I get into pharmacy school I'll acquire a wider knowledge base to help them :)

wow, i'm not even going to post my scores in here. i feel like everyone will laugh at me...lol *backs out sheepishly*

congrats everyone! there are some awesome scores in here! :)

Here's my scores for June 2009. 1st time taking, definitely happy.

Verbal Ability 422 81
Biology 434 90
Reading Comprehension 422 79
Quantitative Ability 429 84
Chemistry 485 99
Composite 438 96

GPA: 3.55

With these stats, what are the chances for some out of state schools that admit a majority in-state students? (university of washington, university of colorado, maryland, etc..) If you're a resident of these states, I'm expecting a 'don't even bother to apply' response :).

Posting my June scores...I'm pretty happy, but my GPA is not that great. How do you guys like my chances?

Verbal 92
Biology 98
Reading 84
Quant 92
Chem 99
Composite 96

My CGPA is only 3.4.

Here's my scores for June 2009. 1st time taking, definitely happy.

Verbal Ability 422 81
Biology 434 90
Reading Comprehension 422 79
Quantitative Ability 429 84
Chemistry 485 99
Composite 438 96

GPA: 3.55

With these stats, what are the chances for some out of state schools that admit a majority in-state students? (university of washington, university of colorado, maryland, etc..) If you're a resident of these states, I'm expecting a 'don't even bother to apply' response :).

Oddly enough, I got into Colorado with very similar stats (99 composite, but close enough). I am, however, a 15-year CO resident. This year's class had a record-high 50% of its class come out-of-state (80 and 80). Your stats are good enough to get an interview here; what does the rest of your app look like? Pharm experience? science GPA?

Hi All,

I took paid the $20 to see my score "early" I would have never known if not for this forum! :) It's been awhile since I've been on here, but here are my scores and i am really really well :confused::scared:

Verbal Ability: 86
Biology: 87
Reading Comprehension 37 :scared:
Quantitative Ability 81
Chemistry 85
Writing 3/3 on both
Overall: 82.

So what do I do? retake or not?? The 37 was the huge kicker. Yet all the other science sections were around the same.

I have around a 3.5 cumulative GPA between my undergrad USC and community college courses from summer and post BA. I was a double major at USC (biology + psych), 3 years of pharmacy experience: community, managed care, and pharma sales. in my undergrad: Resident Advisor, Director of a mentoring organization, 2 research labs, some clubs, so my point of asking is, is my composite score 82 + my really low reading comprehension score: 37...and not so super shiny gpa going to harm me?? Should I be taking this test again to become more competitive??

Here are my August 2009 scores:

Composite 86
Verbal 92
Biology 75
RC 48 :scared:
Quant 88
Chem 90
Writing 3/3

cGPA: 3.80 / scienceGPA: ~3.52 / mathGPA: 4.0

Should I retake in October? I'm worried about my RC subscore. How will these scores do for UW and UNC?

82 421 Composite
81 426 Chemistry:confused:
81 426 Quantitative Ability
48 402 Reading Comprehension :mad:
87 429 Biology
81 422 Verbal Ability

3/3

RETAKE?????????? freak......
i was a chem major. did better in bio???

Here are my August 2009 scores:

Composite 86
Verbal 92
Biology 75
RC 48 :scared:
Quant 88
Chem 90
Writing 3/3

cGPA: 3.80 / scienceGPA: ~3.52 / mathGPA: 4.0

Should I retake in October? I'm worried about my RC subscore. How will these scores do for UW and UNC?

a question I'm personally considering in deciding to retake is that, can you duplicate your good performance on the sections you did well this last test? Is it worth the risk? is that one bad score bad enough to risk the other sections?

Verbal Ability 77
Biology 80
Reading Comprehension 31
Quantitative Ability 95
Chemistry 88
Composite 83
essay 2.5/2.5

i'm super bummed about the RC and a bit in my essay... I knew that i was bad at it, but i didn't think i was THAT bad.. :( I am quite surprised for my bio and verbal because i wasn't really that confident about those after i finished. iono if i should retake or not...:confused:

Last edited:
Verbal Ability 89
Biology 94
Reading Comp 18 :(
Quantitative 99
Chemistry 96
Composite 95

So, overall I am really happy with my August 2009 results. I'm worried about the reading comp though. I knew this would be my weakest score, and I'm scared that if I retake I won't get a composite as high as a 95. Any advice?

I took it in August 2009 and the last time I took it was October 2006. I realize that many pharmacy schools will not look at the October one (because it is 4 years from 2010) but they can see my scores.

October 2006 (don't remember them exactly and too lazy to look them up)
verbal - 77 (mid 70s)
bio - 66
reading - 74 (mid 70s)
quantitative - 87
chem - 93
writing - 2 or 3 (i don't remember)
composite - 86

August 2009
verbal - 89
bio - 99
reading - 79
quantitative - 64
chem - 93
writing 3/3
composite - 94

I am worried about my quant. score. I did have other things on my mind at the time (family illness) but it is still a little embarrassing, especially since I think that math is one of my strengths. I have a feeling that admissions will be "why the **** did you quant. score drop so much"

I am really surprised at the chem - i thought it would be a lot lower.

I am signed up for the Oct PCAT (in a city 2 hours away b/c the closest one filled up already :mad:) I am wondering if I should retake it to improve the math. I know I cam improve the math. I don't think that I will significantly decrease the bio/verbal/reading parts. (The bio going from a 99 to a 95 is not that much of a difference compared to raising the math by 20 or something). I am a little worried about possible lowering my chem score.

Does the quant score matter that much? Will it look terrible to see it go from a 87 to a 64?

Btw - I am relying on my pcat to carry me since I have a low gpa. I have a B.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology with a minor in biology. I have a 3.24 gpa with about a 3.0 science gpa :(. Since my gpa is low, I need my PCAT score to carry me. I am currently in grad school as a masters student. I got good grades in math courses - I got A's in Calc I/II and intro statistics and a B in calc III. I don't know if that will help offset the bad quant score.

It's not even the score itself that I am worried about - it's the huge dropoff.

Last edited:
So my scores were:

Verbal Ability: 77
Reading Comp: 66
Math: 88
Biology: 84
Chemistry: 81
Writing: 3.0
Composite: 84

I just want to know if these scores (combined with a good GPA) are enough to get me into your average pharmacy school.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I was highly dissatisfied with my scores that I received yesterday and plan to retake the test. Do you think it would be better to take the PCAT in October and January, or just wait until January and study more? Please let me know what you think! thanks!

Given that I'm a dental student, I bet NOBODY on here wants my opinion, but I'll just throw something completely objective out there after having gone through the Pre-Health process myself. Also, I have some friends who are currently Pre-Pharm and are studying for the Oct exam and so I'm involved in their test prep too.

Hi All,

I took paid the $20 to see my score "early" I would have never known if not for this forum! :) It's been awhile since I've been on here, but here are my scores and i am really really well :confused::scared:

Verbal Ability: 86
Reading Comprehension 37 :scared:
Quantitative Ability 81
Chemistry 85
Writing 3/3 on both
Overall: 82.

So what do I do? retake or not?? The 37 was the huge kicker. Yet all the other science sections were around the same.

I have around a 3.5 cumulative GPA between my undergrad USC and community college courses from summer and post BA. I was a double major at USC (biology + psych), 3 years of pharmacy experience: community, managed care, and pharma sales. in my undergrad: Resident Advisor, Director of a mentoring organization, 2 research labs, some clubs, so my point of asking is, is my composite score 82 + my really low reading comprehension score: 37...and not so super shiny gpa going to harm me?? Should I be taking this test again to become more competitive??

An overall of 82 is more than likely competitive, especially since one of your test scores had a relatively low percentile. I don't think its uncommon to have several above average sections and one that hurts you, which is why in addition to the individual scores, they look at the percentile of your composite and take that very seriously. Given that your Bio and Chem scores were very solid, I'd probably keep this score and :xf::xf: Also, your Essays and VA section show more than adequate mastery of the language IMHO, so I think one low percentile for reading should be okay. You still got what...390 ish or something on it? Could've been worse.

Verbal Ability 77
Biology 80
Reading Comprehension 31
Quantitative Ability 95
Chemistry 88
Composite 83
essay 2.5/2.5

i'm super bummed about the RC and a bit in my essay... I knew that i was bad at it, but i didn't think i was THAT bad.. :( I am quite surprised for my bio and verbal because i wasn't really that confident about those after i finished. iono if i should retake or not...:confused:

Like I mentioned above, the essays and VA section probably help counter a low RC score. However in your case your essays aren't at the passing level and your VA, while above average, may not be solid enough to counter the low RC score. Moreover, while the composite of 83 is definitely good, your biggest contributor to it is the QA, which MIGHT be considered not as important when compared to the Bio or Chem sections. So I would consider retaking if you think you can do as well if not better on your sciences, definitely improve the essays, and hopefully bring up that RC.

Verbal Ability 89
Biology 94
Reading Comp 18 :(
Quantitative 99
Chemistry 96
Composite 95

So, overall I am really happy with my August 2009 results. I'm worried about the reading comp though. I knew this would be my weakest score, and I'm scared that if I retake I won't get a composite as high as a 95. Any advice?

Congrats on your fantastic score. I would keep that score in a heartbeat. Hopefully there isn't a single score percentile cutoff, which would be a shame, but 95% composite is AWESOME. I wouldn't risk catching lightning like that again, but again, just my non-pharm opinion.

Best of luck to you all. :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I was highly dissatisfied with my scores that I received yesterday and plan to retake the test. Do you think it would be better to take the PCAT in October and January, or just wait until January and study more? Please let me know what you think! thanks!

Are you applying for fall 2010? Because some schools do not accept the January '10 pcat for fall admission

Hi everyone,

I just took the PCAT for the first time. I graduated in 2008 with a degree in chemistry and I've been working in polymer research and development for a year and a half now. I also have experience working on breast cancer research and plant ecology research (I like my lab jobs). Anyway, my GPA is not the highest...a 3.2. It's a 3.2 in my math/science classes as well. Here are my PCAT scores:
Verbal: 99
Biology: 98
Reading Comp: 83
Quantitative Ability: 81
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 98
Writing: 3 in both categories

I guess I just wanted to know if my PCAT score would make up for any of my deficiencies (not the most competitive GPA/lack of pharmacy experience).

Thanks!

Are you applying for fall 2010? Because some schools do not accept the January '10 pcat for fall admission

I am applying for fall 2010, but only one school has Jan 5th deadline and they will accept scores from the January PCAT. I guess it would be better to wait and study more...

Hi everyone,

I am in a really tricky situation right now. I am going to apply to U of Toronto Pharmacy this year and I don't know if I should retake the PCAT.

Verbal: 71
Biology: 79
Reading Comp: 45
Quantitative Ability: 97
Chemistry: 82
Composite: 80
Writing: 2.5 in both categories :(

My main concerns is
-the 2.5 in writing, I am not sure how much UT emphasizes this or if this even meets the cut offs (which is not on site).
-I am afraid if I retake it my chem grade might go lower since I am quite weak on chem - I've only got low 70s in university chemistry courses
-Will my reading comp be a problem?
-Are my scores competitive?
-I am not sure if somewhat my balanced score is good?
--My cgpa is only 3.2

I would really really appreciate any advice

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am in a really tricky situation right now. I am going to apply to U of Toronto Pharmacy this year and I don't know if I should retake the PCAT.

Verbal: 71
Biology: 79
Reading Comp: 45
Quantitative Ability: 97
Chemistry: 82
Composite: 80
Writing: 2.5 in both categories :(

My main concerns is
-the 2.5 in writing, I am not sure how much UT emphasizes this or if this even meets the cut offs (which is not on site).
-I am afraid if I retake it my chem grade might go lower since I am quite weak on chem - I've only got low 70s in university chemistry courses
-Will my reading comp be a problem?
-Are my scores competitive?
-I am not sure if somewhat my balanced score is good?
--My cgpa is only 3.2

I would really really appreciate any advice

Thanks

Heya. Based on my own experience, my advice would be to retake the PCAT and aim for 3s in the writing section.

Last edited:
Verbal: 43
Biology: 75
Reading Comp: 26
Quantitative Ability: 91
Composite: 67
Writing: 3s on Both

GPA: 3.0
Science GPA: 2.8

Clearly i'm no better than an average student. I would like to know if I would even be considered for any school?

I have a quick question and I didn't want to start a new thread for this:

If I take the PCAT and don't do so well the first time, and then take it again, how does that impact my score? All else being equal, am I at a disadvantage? Or can I take it as many times as I want? Will my 2nd mark be compared to someone writing it the first time?

Thanks in advance!

Verbal: 86
Reading Comp: 53
Quantitative Ability: 54
Composite:77
Writing: 3 in both categories

Hopefully since I apparently can do verbal and write, they will see my reading as a fluke. And if they look at my SAT I got a 710, so obviously I can read.

Not retaking.

What do you all think?

Only 3.2 GPA though.

I am pretty sure the answer to this question is no but I wanted to ask anyway. Can the PCAT be taken on a "stand-by" bases if you missed registration deadline?

Also is there a such thing as rush scoring?:rolleyes: