The "Should I retake? What do my scores mean? Are my scores any good?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnione

SDN Pharmoderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:Well, it's that time of the year again when PCAT examinees rush to their mailboxes every day hoping to receive those elusive PCAT score reports.

To assist future PCAT test takers, it would be best if there was one thread where people can view or request other opinions on their own PCAT scores rather than having to search multiple threads with obscure titles. So, here goes (this is a work in progress:))! Please, please, please keep the score reports and "Yay! I got my scores!" to this thread.

Note: If you really know how the scoring works and just want an opinion on your scores, then just go to Section V in the second post in this thread.:)

Thread Outline
I. Your Score Report
II. Your Scores
III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.
IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question
V. The Final Verdict
VI. Your Score Versus Your School's Average

I. Your Score Report

You should receive a regular, letter-sized envelope with about a sheet or two of paper. One that them should be a plain sheet with your scores. Basically, this sheet lists each scaled score with the accompanying percentile score for each section followed by your composite score which is a percentile based on the averaged scale score from the five sections. You will see your writing score separate from the other sections. Rather self-explanatory to me......

II. Your Scores

You mostly want to focus on your percentile rank, most particularly the composite score. That is the number that adcoms focus on during the primary review that determines if you get an interview. Some schools may go in-depth into your scores, but that composite score is the first tell.

Just as a reminder, your percentile score distinguishes your performance from examinees from a 1998-2003 standard testing group. However, adcoms compare your score to everyone in their applicant pool. Simply put, a 70th percentile means that you performed better than about 70% of the examinees during the aforementioned 1998-2003 period. The higher the score, the better off you will be.

Addendum: There have been many questions on SDN inquiring about the nature of the three-digit scaled scores one finds on the score report and how that score is used to get one's percentile score. To be honest, nobody outside of relations with Harcourt understands the system or even the true number of questions needed to earn a 90th percentile or any other score. Perhaps this is best explained in a hypothetical situation. After each exam, Harcourt examines the pool of test takers and derives a scale that corresponds to a scaled score. One earns a certain scaled score based on the number of correct questions answered. This scale is different between examinations and between sections to account for the slight differences in difficulty across test dates and perhaps even test forms within the same testing date. Te scaled score one gets corresponds to the aforementioned 1998-2003 pool. Based on past research on this forum, it seems that a 400 in any section will result in a 50th percentile and a 430 is "worth" the same for every testing date for example. Therefore, one is being compared to that standard testing group but any changes in the exam now versus back then is accounted for through the derivation of a new scale that accounts for that. It's just that the number of correct questions needed to earn a certain scaled score fluctuates and is determined for each PCAT administration separately. So, nobody really knows how many questions need to be answered correctly in order to be in a certain percentile.

III. The popular "Are my scores good?" question.

The most prevalent question that examinees have after receiving their scores is whether the scores are good enough for admission into pharmacy school. That leads to the corollary question to whether the examinee should retake the PCAT. Before we continue, it's best to establish some guidelines. The criteria I am about to present is not a strict rule. It is based on generalizations of PCAT worthiness at schools. This is just advice.

First of all, averages are just that = averages. Just because you don't make your school's PCAT average doesn't mean your application is doomed. People get in with low PCAT scores due to a number of reasons, like:
  • Having a high GPA with great pharmacy experience and LORs
  • Having a great interview
  • ..and...having great "contacts" in the adcom, like a dad or someone
If one looked at the PCAT score distribution at each school, it would probably resemble something like a grade distribution we often see after taking an exam. That is, a few students get As, many get around Bs to Ds with the peak at Cs or the average and/or median score, and a few fantastically bomb the exam. So for competitive PCAT scores, you do have to meet the average score for competitiveness, you want to literally be in the middle of the pack. Sure, you want your scores to stand out, but the answer to the question "Are my PCAT scores good enough" simply asks whether your scores are a liability on your application making a retake of the PCAT prudent and advisable.

So, I think a better gauge for "competitiveness" is through the competitive range. Simply put, this range represents the majority of the school's incoming class. Ideally, you want a score that is at least in the range occupied by the middle 50% of students that takes out the top 25% PCAT students that get in and the bottom 25% who get in due to the other factors I mentioned earlier. Since each school has different distributions, I roughly set a range of five percentiles plus or minus the school's PCAT average. So for a school with an average of 80, the competitive range is about 75-85. Your score is competitive in that range, but it doesn't stand out from other applications nor is it a blemish on your application. Remember, I am speaking in general.

IV. The popular "Do I need to retake the PCAT?" question

You need to consider your whole package as it affects the answer to this question:
  • Your stats (GPA, pharmacy hours worked) and LORs
  • Your interpersonal ability needed for an effective interview
  • Your writing skills (PCAT writing score, school-specific essays, PS)
  • Your "contacts"
If you have greatness in the above, than having a lower than competitive PCAT won't hurt as much versus the average applicant. If you lack some of the above, then you probably need a higher PCAT to compensate. For the purposes of this thread, we'll just consider how the scores look without any influence from other factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. But that excuse is overused.

Yeah I suppose it is. There is a point where one has to say "I just have to improve my English even more so to become competitive in these sections". I've known secondary English speakers that can write better than most native students here, so it can be done.

thank you fullmetalphrm and jack rabbit for your insights. I will send in my application and see how everything goes. Maybe i should keep my hope up.

I don't blame english is not my first language as an excuse. though it definitely has as impact on my ability to do well for those two sections. maybe i was out of luck studying for the vocab words that didn't even show up on the pcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you fullmetalphrm and jack rabbit for your insights. I will send in my application and see how everything goes. Maybe i should keep my hope up.

I don't blame english is not my first language as an excuse. though it definitely has as impact on my ability to do well for those two sections. maybe i was out of luck studying for the vocab words that didn't even show up on the pcat.

Good luck, I think you're very competitive and you may surprise yourself as to how much you'll really stand out with a 3.95 GPA.

My GPA is right around where yours is, and I've been told by a pharmacy school adviser that anything above a 3.5 really is incredibly good and sets you apart.

Just make sure to list every extracurricular activity/club you've been a part of, every bit helps.

1st time test taker here. I have ~2.98 GPA and will be graduating with Bachelors in Chemical Science in the Spring from Florida State. I have about 6 months pharmacy experience (CVS) and am a registered Pham Tech. I have had to retake both Organic II and Analytical Chemistry.

I took the PCAT in October, here's my scores:

Writing 3.0/3.0
Verbal 432 89
Biology 418 76 (thought I bombed this, no bio classes since 2007 :eek:)
QA 410 59 (Didn't finish)
Read Comp 404 52 (yuck, thought I did much better)
Chemistry 434 88 :D
Composite 420 80 ;)

I feel like I may have really lucked out in Biology, and gotten a little screwed in Reading. The Math I did not finish the last 12 and just bubbled in.

I have sent my scores to PharmCAS, but have not applied anywhere yet. Here's the schools I am interested in:

In-State
LECOM - Bradenton
NOVA
UF
FAMU (does not accept PCAT. Seriously.)

Out of State

Mercer (GA)
P-COM - GA campus
Belmont (TN)
Lipscomb (TN)

I know several people who are in the same boat as me (low GPA and above average PCAT). I have read many other threads but most date back to 2007 and earlier.

With a PCAT of 80 and good Bio and Chem scores, has anyone else gotten in with specs comparable to this? I know there are many more Pharm programs up north, but I would really like to stay in the south.

Beyond that, is it possible that I could at least get interviewed to all these schools? I am very confident in an interview setting and think I would be able to do very well.

Thanks to all who reply! To those in similar situations, I will keep you updated!

I took my first PCAT in October and my scores came out as:

Verbal - 77
Biology - 80
Reading - 87
Quantitative - 69
Chemistry - 88
Composite - 85

PharmCAS says my GPAs are a 2.86 both science and cumulative. Is the score good enough to keep even with the horrendous GPA? Thank you for any input!

You should definitely give it a shot and apply. Your GPA and extracurricular activities definitely make you a competitive applicant. Some schools view your PCAT differently as well. For example, the University of Buffalo adds up all of your percentile scales and looks at that number rather than your composite score. Make sure you find out how the school to which you are applying analyzes PCAT scores. The interview also counts for a lot too. Just show you're interested and determined!

I took my first PCAT in October and my scores came out as:

Verbal - 77
Biology - 80
Reading - 87
Quantitative - 69
Chemistry - 88
Composite - 85

PharmCAS says my GPAs are a 2.86 both science and cumulative. Is the score good enough to keep even with the horrendous GPA? Thank you for any input!

Anybody? I'd really appreciate any input. I'm applying to Thomas Jefferson, USP, Temple, and Notre Dame in Maryland.

I have a pretty low GPA (due to some excessive partying during my undergrad years...thank god I've outgrown that :oops:) - overall GPA 3.1, science GPA 3.1. I earned a BS in Biology from Texas A&M in May of 2006. I've only got 1.5 years of tech experience under my belt but I'm a fast learner and have excelled to the lead tech position. I've accumulated 200+ hours of volunteer hours and currently work at a pharmacy full time. I've also got great letters of recommendation.

Here are my most recent PCAT scores in comparison to the last time I took the PCAT in Jan 2009 (scores in brackets are my old scores)

Verbal 86 (55)
Bio 84 (14)
Reading 31 (40) yikes!!!
Quant 81 (57)
Chem 85 (37)

Composite 80 (37)

Writing: 3.0/3.0

I'm applying to UT-Austin, UT-Houston, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M. I did apply last year but, not surprisingly, didn't get any interviews due to my terrible PCAT scores. Can anyone please chime in an honest opinion on my chances of getting an interview this year? I'm very concerned about my low GPAs. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Im in a little dilemna here, I studied real hard for the pcat, did very well in chem and bio, decent in math, and writing, and horrible in reading and verbal?? Should i retake it?? Is it worth trying to get my reading and verbal scores up when taking a risk lowering my current chem and bio scores>>> HELP!!!:eek:

MY SCORES % S.Score

COMPOSITE 71 414
VERBAL 24 385
READING 15 378
CHEMISTRY 93 443
BIOLOGY 94 440
QUANTITATIVE 77 422

WRITING 3.0 2.87
3.0 2.82

Last edited:
from what i hear you dont really improve on reading and verbal. your scores are awesome for chem and bio i would say def keep. The schools dont only look at overall composite they see the break down. If you seen my scores you would cry for a week and be glad for your :) lol
i would advise to keep, but thats my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I'm currently in pharmacy school but I'm helping my friend apply this year. She just took the PCAT again and got her score - but she did worse than the previous year. Does she need to do anything to get PharmCAS to send all of the scores to the schools? Or, the highest? Or.. what is the procedure?

She wants to make sure the school gets the best score, but isn't sure how to go about it.

What does PCAT normally do after a re-take - send both, send the best.. or do they only send the latest?

Thanks!

Got my scores, Ok-but quant was bad.

Verbal 92
Biology 96
Reading Comp 87
Quant Analysis 48
Chemistry 95
Composite 93

Should I be concerned about the low quant score? Will Auburn care? I am going back to school after a PhD in medicinal chem cause the jobs are all moving east. That and family and don't want to live in Boston or San Francisco. Everyone says I'm golden but darn that math was tough. Got the ones right that I did but didn't have enough time to finish half. Its been 20 yrs since calculus.

Last edited:
Got my scores, Ok-but quant was bad.

Verbal 92
Biology 96
Reading Comp 87
Quant Analysis 48
Chemistry 95
Composite 93

Should I be concerned about the low quant score? Will Auburn care? I am going back to school after a PhD in medicinal chem cause the jobs are all moving east. That and family and don't want to live in Boston or San Francisco. Everyone says I'm golden but darn that math was tough. Got the ones right that I did but didn't have enough time to finish half. Its been 20 yrs since calculus.
You did stella! I wouldn't concern about the QA score, if I were you, because u have an awesome composite. Maybe you can explain it in your essay why it is you score low.
I thought I bomb QA but I got higher score than expected. The key was to solve/guess quickly, you don't have to work the problem in details to find the exact answer to bubble it in. That's what I remember doing when I raced through QA section. Everyone feels the QA was tough not just you.

Hello. I'm currently in pharmacy school but I'm helping my friend apply this year. She just took the PCAT again and got her score - but she did worse than the previous year. Does she need to do anything to get PharmCAS to send all of the scores to the schools? Or, the highest? Or.. what is the procedure?

She wants to make sure the school gets the best score, but isn't sure how to go about it.

What does PCAT normally do after a re-take - send both, send the best.. or do they only send the latest?

Thanks!
I believe they send everything within the last 5 years of taking PCAT. So the school will see bad scores.
Just a hint, if next time she feels she does worse, she could choose not to send her score to the school. They'll send her the grade but the school wouldn't receive it.
But hopefully she'll do well next time. Good luck.

Hello-

I just got my October PCAT score and I am too happy with it.

I got 95 on Chemistry, 71 in Biology and 77 in math. My composite is 77.
My writing score is both 3.

I did better in biology when I took practice tests. I usually missed 3-4 questions. I thought I would get around 80 or higher. I knew biology section was hard for me but this is not good.

Should I retake it? My number one choice is University of Washington and their average PCAT grade is quite high, around 86?

Do pharmacy schools look at chemistry grade more?

I feel discouraged and now wonder if I should apply at all for 2011.

My prereq GPA is around 3.90. MY overall is around 3.5.

Let me know!! I feel discouraged right now!

Verbal 416 73
Bio 418 76
Reading 420 76
Math 407 54
Chem 418 72
Composite 416 74

Convention of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I'm only applying to UMaryland, Baltimore, which requires that you have 60 percentile or higher in Chem and Bio. The average cumulative PCAT composite of people who are admitted there is 77.5. So my composite is lower than their average, but I do have 4.00 GPA. What do you think?

Here is my score.

Verbal ability 416 73
Biology 412 80
Reading 430 87
Quant 419 73
Chemistry 449 95
composite 427 88

Conventions of language 3.0 mean=2.82
Problem solving 3.0 mean=2.87

My overall gpa is a 3.6, with my grades in science courses being my highest ones. How is my pcat score looking? Will those 73's in verbal and quant hurt me much?

well i gues i'm next, this was the first time i took the PCAT, so here goes.

i got a compistie of a 58 for the PCAT
currently have 3.8 GPA
will have worked 9 months in a pharmacy as a pharm tech before fall classes start. if i get accepted.

however i am a non-traditional student. i have worked my way through college and as a result of having two jobs plus school my PCAT suffered.

what are my odds?

i am applying to PC in clinton, sc and to MUSC in charleston, sc.

should i redo the pcat and wait another year or should i just send in what i have.

thanks for the replies.

currently have 3.8 GPA
will have worked 9 months in a pharmacy as a pharm tech before fall classes start. if i get accepted.

however i am a non-traditional student. i have worked my way through college and as a result of having two jobs plus school my PCAT suffered.

what are my odds?

should i redo the pcat and wait another year or should i just send in what i have.

thanks for the replies.

You have experience and a very high GPA. 58 isn't high, but it's still above the average, especially if you have higher chem/bio/quant scores. I would apply because you don't really have much (except like 300 bucks) to lose, and that could potentially save you an entire year.

so here are my scores....
Verbal 401 50
Bio 408 61
Reading 374 11
QA 398 38
Chem 395 37
COMPOSITE 395 33%

Yes, i know is horrible. I studied for the exam in the summer time but took it in October. Between the time the semester started and the exam i didnt study at all. I just wanted to give it a shot and see how i did.
My GPA is 3.0 and i dont have a BS yet
i was just wondering if i should even try to apply?
There are some schools around me which just opened or do not specify a PCAT score (although some say be competitive).
I would really appreciate the advice.

Also would it be better to go ahead and finish up with a degree or re-take the pre-reqs i got C's in???

I am feeling really overwhelmed here and the pharm-advisor at my school is no good...he just says go look things up online.
i really appreciate the help guys:thumbup:

Verbal Ability 412/ 68
Biology 425/ 84
Reading Comp 416/ 71
Quantitative 407/ 54
Chemistry 438/ 90
Composite 420/ 80

Writing: both 3's

GPA is 3.30
7 years in pharmacy experience
certified in pharmacy compounding

Applying to all Georgia schools: Mercer, PCOM, University of GA.
What do you think are my chances, considering my GPA is a little lower?

so here are my scores....
Verbal 401 50
Bio 408 61
Reading 374 11
QA 398 38
Chem 395 37
COMPOSITE 395 33%

Yes, i know is horrible. I studied for the exam in the summer time but took it in October. Between the time the semester started and the exam i didnt study at all. I just wanted to give it a shot and see how i did.
My GPA is 3.0 and i dont have a BS yet
i was just wondering if i should even try to apply?
There are some schools around me which just opened or do not specify a PCAT score (although some say be competitive).
I would really appreciate the advice.

Also would it be better to go ahead and finish up with a degree or re-take the pre-reqs i got C's in???

I am feeling really overwhelmed here and the pharm-advisor at my school is no good...he just says go look things up online.
i really appreciate the help guys:thumbup:

What is your sGPA? If it isn't much higher, say at least around 3.4 or so, IF it were me (take with a grain of salt) I wouldn't apply this year unless you're willing to attend a school which does not have pre-cand status yet. Remember that this can be risky though. Although your bio is decent, your QA and Chem are low, and combined with a low composite and a lower than average GPA, things can look a bit difficult.

If you have a good explanation, lots of experience in a pharmacy, stellar LORs, and impressive EC's, I would consider taking the January PCAT (with lots of studying over the holidays) and to apply to schools that consider the Jan PCAT. You never know and if you don't mind spending a bit of cash, that's always an option.

But again, since you don't have a degree, it wouldn't hurt to skip applying this year and to get your degree first. It would give you a chance to raise your GPA more as well as applying with a degree under your belt which would make you a stronger candidate at a good number of schools. This gives you more time to study for your PCAT as well & to work on your ECs if you need to. Also, when you apply next year, you can apply early which gives you a better chance at interviews/acceptances at rolling schools! + you can apply to CA schools which don't really look at the PCAT. Just work on raising that GPA a bit. Good luck

Verbal Ability 412/ 68
Biology 425/ 84
Reading Comp 416/ 71
Quantitative 407/ 54
Chemistry 438/ 90
Composite 420/ 80

Writing: both 3's

GPA is 3.30
7 years in pharmacy experience
certified in pharmacy compounding

Applying to all Georgia schools: Mercer, PCOM, University of GA.
What do you think are my chances, considering my GPA is a little lower?

Personally, I think you'll be in good shape. High chem/bio look very nice + very good composite. Your GPA is competitive in my opinion and I would think that your experience would help you greatly also. :luck:

currently have 3.8 GPA

what are my odds?

thanks for the replies.

You have experience and a very high GPA. 58 isn't high, but it's still above the average, especially if you have higher chem/bio/quant scores. I would apply because you don't really have much (except like 300 bucks) to lose, and that could potentially save you an entire year.

thanks for the reply and the words of encourgement. hopefully i will get accepted and keep moving towards my goals.

Here is my score.

Verbal ability 416 73
Biology 412 80
Reading 430 87
Quant 419 73
Chemistry 449 95
composite 427 88

Conventions of language 3.0 mean=2.82
Problem solving 3.0 mean=2.87

My overall gpa is a 3.6, with my grades in science courses being my highest ones. How is my pcat score looking? Will those 73's in verbal and quant hurt me much?

You have very good stats, go ahead & apply. I don't know , but someone correct me if i'm wrong. u have good scores in chem & bio which is what they look at.

I took the pcat in october and did alright for my first try (85% composite). Would it be unwise to take the Jan PCAT, if i've already submitted my PharmCAS application on 12/1 (all my materials are received, in GPA Calc stage)? I feel by the time the Jan PCAT grade is processed, that interview decisions would already be made and it wont be taken into consideration. Any experienced input would be much appreciated!

I took the pcat in october and did alright for my first try (85% composite). Would it be unwise to take the Jan PCAT, if i've already submitted my PharmCAS application on 12/1 (all my materials are received, in GPA Calc stage)? I feel by the time the Jan PCAT grade is processed, that interview decisions would already be made and it wont be taken into consideration. Any experienced input would be much appreciated!

A lot of schools don't consider Jan PCAT scores so you would need to check up on that for each of your schools. However, I'm really wondering why you are considering re-taking a 85 composite o_O Did you completely bomb chem or bio or something? 85 is strong and with a decent GPA & a few other things to round yourself out, I think you should be fine.

A lot of schools don't consider Jan PCAT scores so you would need to check up on that for each of your schools. However, I'm really wondering why you are considering re-taking a 85 composite o_O Did you completely bomb chem or bio or something? 85 is strong and with a decent GPA & a few other things to round yourself out, I think you should be fine.

bio n chem were not weak areas (~85). i am confident i can get a 90+ composite w/more preparation time, but i wonder if it would matter and be worth the $150 fee. the rest of my application is competitive in regards to gpa and pharmacy experience.

bio n chem were not weak areas (~85). i am confident i can get a 90+ composite w/more preparation time, but i wonder if it would matter and be worth the $150 fee. the rest of my application is competitive in regards to gpa and pharmacy experience.

Honestly, if your GPA is competitive, and you have good grades (+pharmacy experience!), I highly doubt the adcom will really care about a difference between 85 and 90. Personally, considering your chem/bio were around 85 as well, I wouldn't bother wasting the time or money taking it again. But if it makes you really uneasy, I suppose go ahead... I just think you scored high enough that you don't need to worry about the PCAT anymore :)

I am trying to decide if I need to retake in January or not. I scored an 85 composite with no subsection lower than a 69, which was the quantitative. My chem section was an 87 and my bio was an 80. My GPA pretty much stinks at a 2.86, both cumulative and science. Does anyone think its worth retaking or is an 85 decent enough?

I am trying to decide if I need to retake in January or not. I scored an 85 composite with no subsection lower than a 69, which was the quantitative. My chem section was an 87 and my bio was an 80. My GPA pretty much stinks at a 2.86, both cumulative and science. Does anyone think its worth retaking or is an 85 decent enough?

I think it depends on which schools you're aiming for. Are they big (& usually more competitive) state schools? Or newer, candidate private schools?

To be the most competitive, considering your GPA, if you think you can do better for sure, (this is just what I would do so take with a grain of salt) I would re-take it to try and get a 90+ composite with your bio/chem/quant subsets higher than 85-90.

However, do you know if your schools take the Jan PCAT? Make sure of that too otherwise, there would be no point in re-taking it.

For what it's worth though, my GPA was really low too, but with a 91 PCAT (chem 81, bio 94, quant 90) I was accepted to 3 schools, 2 of them top 5... so I would analyze why your GPA is low, look at your EC/leadership, PS, LORs, work experience and make sure you're strong everywhere else also. PCAT may get you the interview, but you need solid everything else since your GPA lacks, for that acceptance. (I think a lot of people who lack in other departments end up getting wait-listed... which actually isn't the end of the world either for many) Good luck!

I think it depends on which schools you're aiming for. Are they big (& usually more competitive) state schools? Or newer, candidate private schools?

To be the most competitive, considering your GPA, if you think you can do better for sure, (this is just what I would do so take with a grain of salt) I would re-take it to try and get a 90+ composite with your bio/chem/quant subsets higher than 85-90.

However, do you know if your schools take the Jan PCAT? Make sure of that too otherwise, there would be no point in re-taking it.

For what it's worth though, my GPA was really low too, but with a 91 PCAT (chem 81, bio 94, quant 90) I was accepted to 3 schools, 2 of them top 5... so I would analyze why your GPA is low, look at your EC/leadership, PS, LORs, work experience and make sure you're strong everywhere else also. PCAT may get you the interview, but you need solid everything else since your GPA lacks, for that acceptance. (I think a lot of people who lack in other departments end up getting wait-listed... which actually isn't the end of the world either for many) Good luck!

I applied to Thomas Jefferson, Temple, USP (I know its a reach), and Notre Dame of Maryland. I feel like I'm pretty strong everywhere else in my application. My letters of recommendation come from good sources and they are excellent letters, my GPA is low because of a family medical emergency in my first year of college (and has been decent since then), and I have almost 500 volunteer hours, with about 250 in a hospital. Its good to hear from someone who was in a similar situation as me and it gives me hope.

My only question though is, will adcoms see much of a difference between an 85 PCAT and a 90 PCAT? Thank you so much for your input!

I applied to Thomas Jefferson, Temple, USP (I know its a reach), and Notre Dame of Maryland. I feel like I'm pretty strong everywhere else in my application. My letters of recommendation come from good sources and they are excellent letters, my GPA is low because of a family medical emergency in my first year of college (and has been decent since then), and I have almost 500 volunteer hours, with about 250 in a hospital. Its good to hear from someone who was in a similar situation as me and it gives me hope.

My only question though is, will adcoms see much of a difference between an 85 PCAT and a 90 PCAT? Thank you so much for your input!

In most cases, I would say no... (although I would see a diff between 85 and 95+ or something) but for me personally, I made sure and did everything possible to get a score above 90 since I felt I needed to make up for that GPA in every way possible. Honestly, I think you have a great chance at those schools especially if you have strong LORs + EC's and a good reason as to why your grades suffered earlier. I really do believe that they value grade trends greatly (I started with a 2.6 or something my first year but my last 2 years averaged a 3.7) so sounds like in you're great shape there!

I think the only slightly questionable section would be your quant, but if you have good grades in math, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

For another small reference, I know a friend who got into Jefferson last year with a 3.0 and a 82 PCAT.

Best of luck on your interviews! :luck:

In most cases, I would say no... (although I would see a diff between 85 and 95+ or something) but for me personally, I made sure and did everything possible to get a score above 90 since I felt I needed to make up for that GPA in every way possible. Honestly, I think you have a great chance at those schools especially if you have strong LORs + EC's and a good reason as to why your grades suffered earlier. I really do believe that they value grade trends greatly (I started with a 2.6 or something my first year but my last 2 years averaged a 3.7) so sounds like in you're great shape there!

I think the only slightly questionable section would be your quant, but if you have good grades in math, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

For another small reference, I know a friend who got into Jefferson last year with a 3.0 and a 82 PCAT.

Best of luck on your interviews! :luck:

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it. It helps to know that someone else has gotten in to Jefferson with stats similar to mine. Its honestly my first choice. I love their program structure. Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

This is my first post on SDN and wondering what my chances are against my competition (SDN users :D)

I took the August 2010 PCAT
VA: 82%
Bio: 88%
RC: 71%
QA: 61%
Chem: 81%
Writing: 3/3
Comp: 82%

I was fairly pleased with my composite but was slightly disappointed with my RC since that I did very well in that area on practice tests but whatever. I wasn't expecting QA to go well and it did not lol.

I have a 3.62 GPA and will graduate with my bachelors in pharmaceutical sciences this spring.
PharmCAS puts my science GPA at 3.53 and non-science at 3.87.

Received 3 LOR from pharmacist, club advisor, and professor (turns out he is on adcom :))

I have good pharmacy experience working as a tech for 3 months last summer at Omnicare in compounding and narcotics. My other ECs are good but not entirely pharmacy related but they are health care and volunteer related.

I am just looking for some general feedback on my overall application with interviews coming up soon.

Already submitted PharmCAS and applied to Ohio State:xf:, UCinci, NEOUCOP, UIChicago, UPitt, and Purdue.

Hey everyone. I got my scores finally:

Comp: 87
VA: 48
BIO: 88
RC: 65
QA: 89
Chem : 96

2/2

Definitely a little weaker in english. I feel like I have room for improvement as I did not study those three areas much at all.

I took alot of classes at a community college. Skip through the sad story and I ended up with a gpa ~3.1. I have attended a 4 year university for the last 2 years with a gpa ~3.6. I think overall my gpa will be between a 3.2 to 3.3.

Is the low VA score going to be an issue? Should I retake the test? I am going to apply to wyoming, southern nevada, and mid western. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, just got my scores back from the January PCAT.

Verbal Ability 86
Biology 91
Reading Comp 65
Quant Ability 62
Chemistry 88

Composite 85

Writing 3/3

My GPA is quite low, due to some family issues during school (2.5 right now), how do you think my PCAT helps/hurts me, and should I take it again?

I am working on getting my GPA up and retaking a couple classes, and plan on graduating with a BS in Biology. Currently work as a Pharm Tech in a clinical pharmacy at a local hospital, should be able to get really good LOR also.

Thanks

Are you guys serious? For those of you that are expressing concerns with an 80+ Composite PCAT, you're fine and don't need to worry about studying for the dreadful test again. End of story.

I agree with pharmdog, I myself just scored a composite of 90 with scores of 98 in chem, 89 in math, and 84 in biology. If you have scores that are good why would you retake again unless your gpa was like abysmal like 2.0 and wanted to score perfect. I believe a score of 80+ as well is a GREAT score in most cases if you look at schools around the country thats well in the average range for acceptance. Atleast for where im applying. Good luck to all.

Hi guys:
I just got my Jan test score back. I am wondering if I should retake, since I sucked both VA and RC

Verbal Ability 406 58%
Biology 430 88%
Reading Comprehension 397 40%
Quantitative Ability 435 89%
Chemistry 505 99%
Composite 435 94%

So, I did quite well in Chem, but my VA and RC sucked so bad. I don't know if I should retake with a 94 composite though. I am an International Student, and English is not my native language. Depend on my green card application, I may need to take TOEFL (Test of English for Foreign Language speakers).

Thaks

Hey Pharmschooler, I sent you a private message - lets keep in touch, think we are both applying to same school

I did really well on most everything besides chemistry.

My scores other than chem and QA were all in the 90+ range, as was my composite, but my chemistry was just at the 64th percentile. QA was 79th, which I think is probably ok for the purposes of applying. I was happy with my scores at first, but now I'm getting doubts about that chemistry score.

Should I be concerned about the chemistry, or just forget about it? I'm really thinking I'm just going to be happy with what I got, since I can't imagine scoring higher on all the other sections if I took the test again.

My grades, letters of recommendation and experience are all solid. I don't have to take this annoying test again, do I? :confused:

It should get you an interview at the least depending on the schools(Research the schools and see what the PCAT data is like for the ones you want to apply for). You will most likely be asked why you scored the lowest on the chemistry section, so be prepared to explain why you felt you did not do so well on that section. Had you already taken both Chem's and Organic Chem's? Why do you feel that was your lowest section?

I agree with pharmdog, I myself just scored a composite of 90 with scores of 98 in chem, 89 in math, and 84 in biology. If you have scores that are good why would you retake again unless your gpa was like abysmal like 2.0 and wanted to score perfect. I believe a score of 80+ as well is a GREAT score in most cases if you look at schools around the country thats well in the average range for acceptance. Atleast for where im applying. Good luck to all.

I agree to a point. It really all depends on the colleges they are applying for. The lower your GPA, the higher your PCAT score needs to be and vice versa. Now if you are below a 3.0 GPA then you will most likely need to aim for a 90% or better. And if your GPA is below 2.5 it probably does not matter anyhow since most schools have a minimum GPA above that.

Also schools look differently on the PCAT. UGA uses the PCAT and GPA to rank their applicants which they then use to setup interviews, so for UGA both are equally important to get your foot in the door. Every college is different so for the most part people need to research the schools they want to apply to. That will then basically tell them how competitive their particular PCAT score is for that college.