The Strong Acids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good mneumonic for memorizing all the strong acids? I end up having to remember my mneumonic.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a good mneumonic for memorizing all the strong acids? I end up having to remember my mneumonic.

As you go down the periodic table acidity increases. Take for example HF, which is a very strong acid . In general, you need to know that HF, HNO3 ,
H2SO4, HCL are all strong acids. Any comments out there ?

Once a proton is removed and is capable of forming a stable conjugate base then it is considered strong acid. For instance of HF and HCl being a strong acid, it could be explained by this; because once the proton is removed, the electronegativity of the halogen group stabilizes anionic conjugate base.

This type of stabilization is also used to describe acidity of carbonic acids and acidity of the protons on the alpha carbon of the carbonyl compounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link. I will never forget the HF is not a strong acid and the reason why.

---wikipedia.com---

Dilute hydrogen fluoride solution is a weak acid due to the extensive intermolecular H-bonds present. The molecules tend to remain in chains rather than ionize to form H+ and F− ions.
But in a more concentrated hydrogen fluoride solution, F− ions forms a soluble [HF2]−(aq) complex with HF molecules. HF molecules remaining ionize to compensate the loss of F− ions. More H+ ions are thus formed, making concentrated HF an effectively strong acid.