The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be better posted on the rant thread but it is mostly admissions rated.

I'm really starting to feel burnt out. I work 2 part-time jobs, go to school full-time, and volunteer at a vet clinic. The clinic has offered me more volunteer hours this semester which I gladly took because I'm seriously lacking vet hours. I already do two twelve hour days a week, these extra clinic hours would make it four 12 hour days a week. The other three days would only be 8-9 hour days. I'm willing to work hard to be a vet but lately I find it very difficult to get through the day.

I don't enjoy things like I used to and I even dislike coming home. My bedroom still isn't fixed, the apartment is a mess, and the radiator in my 11 year old car was destroyed. It seems like too much. Meanwhile my sisters live in a brand new house, have brand new cars, and little stress. Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it.

As others have said, it may be time to drop something. Last semester I was working three different jobs, seven days a week, on top of going to classes. Not to mention I also got married in October (and a destination wedding at that since I'm only allowed to be married in certain places - ugh, but that's a different topic), so I had all of the work related to that to "deal with" also. At the very end of the semester I decided to drop one of the jobs (left on extremely good terms, could probably go back if I wanted to), and while I'm still working 7 days a week on top of school, its been incredibly helpful to have one less thing to worry about.

I think its important to push yourself, but its also just as important to know your limit. Don't burn yourself out. And think of it this way, letting go of one thing isn't a failure (I know some people look at this type of situation that way). Instead, its a success because you're taking a step back, analyzing the situation, and determining a better course of action.

Members don't see this ad.

ky261682 darling: burn out is painful. A minor true story: I almost gave up on vet school. I didn't withdraw from Tufts (THANK GOD) but I ALMOST did. Instead, I'm now on a year off. Because of burn-out. I want to have my affairs squared away before this fall AND I am making MAJOR efforts to scale back personally so I don't end up so destroyed like I was a few months ago.

Vet school involves HUGE commitment. It also involves YOU. If you can't cut back or sacrifice something that doesnotneedtobedonebyyou, vet school might kick your butt before you even get there. Just my take on being too over-committed to too many things. Even now, I'm still letting my workaholic tendencies take over by working PT and reading some textbooks so my brain doesn't COMPLETELY atrophy. But, every day I make time for ME. It's good to do and difficult to practice sometimes but well worth it:)

I can't agree more with Kaydubs...putting your life in "balance" in my motto. I know things will lean towards school while you're in it, but taking time out is a must or you will burn out. Balance, balance, balance (work and leisure) for a happy life!

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be slightly immature, so I will apologize in advance.
I just found out that somone who worked at a vet clinic that I volunteered at got into the same vet school that I did. This person was never very nice to me and frequently tried to shut me in the dog kennels and squirt ethanol at me (sometimes in inappropriate places). He made fun of my personal life, is racist, sexist, and just generally not a very nice person. I once saw him drag a clients dog down the hall by a slip lead while the dog was pankicked and chocking. I am worried that he is going to ruin the next four years of my life. I know that the class size is rather small and we will have to work together frequently. I am seriously considering taking another option and paying 3times as much to avoid him!

I just found out that somone who worked at a vet clinic that I volunteered at got into the same vet school that I did. This person was never very nice to me and frequently tried to shut me in the dog kennels and squirt ethanol at me (sometimes in inappropriate places). He made fun of my personal life, is racist, sexist, and just generally not a very nice person. I once saw him drag a clients dog down the hall by a slip lead while the dog was pankicked and chocking. I am worried that he is going to ruin the next four years of my life. I know that the class size is rather small and we will have to work together frequently. I am seriously considering taking another option and paying 3times as much to avoid him!

i feel ya fireflysushi.

i know for a fact that my ex-roommate from college who kicked me out of our living situation at the end of junior year is 1st year at Penn. meaning when she's a 2nd year i'll be a 1st year. and i'll probably still run into her and see her and it'll mess with my head.

the thing is, if you go to the same school with this person i think it'll give you the opportunity to be the bigger person. and once you settle into the groove at school and make your own group of friends/lab partners/study people etc. i think it would be easier to have to go to school with that person. and then you can kick his ***** in class :D

think about it this way: while the class size is small, there's still like 100 other people in your class who you can interact with and be friends with. don't actively try to avoid him, but if you see him just be cordial. plus, when you're a vet you'll have to deal with clients/co-workers/bosses etc. that you don't get along with and whose methods you don't agree with but you'll still have to work with them or for them side by side...this will be good practice! :cool:

i feel ya fireflysushi.

i know for a fact that my ex-roommate from college who kicked me out of our living situation at the end of junior year is 1st year at Penn. meaning when she's a 2nd year i'll be a 1st year. and i'll probably still run into her and see her and it'll mess with my head.

the thing is, if you go to the same school with this person i think it'll give you the opportunity to be the bigger person. and once you settle into the groove at school and make your own group of friends/lab partners/study people etc. i think it would be easier to have to go to school with that person. and then you can kick his ***** in class :D

think about it this way: while the class size is small, there's still like 100 other people in your class who you can interact with and be friends with. don't actively try to avoid him, but if you see him just be cordial. plus, when you're a vet you'll have to deal with clients/co-workers/bosses etc. that you don't get along with and whose methods you don't agree with but you'll still have to work with them or for them side by side...this will be good practice! :cool:

Thank you Sunnex. May cooler heads prevail. I do know several other people in the class and I will throughly enjoy kicking his a** on tests.

And while I totally agree that this will be good practice for difficult/terrible clients/coworkers I do hope that none of then try to shove me in a kennel.:laugh:

How is it that people like THAT get into vet school, but there are so many other worthy candidates that get rejected?

If he pulls that crap in vet school, report his ass. The very first time. No second chances.
Doesnt CSU have a pretty strict honor code?

I hope so. He probably felt free to behave this way because he was essentially in a position of authority over me- I was a volunteer and he was a golden boy employee, so now that the playing field is more level he will be better. However I worry about how much of an a** he will be once he is a vet and can run his own practice.:(

How is it that people like THAT get into vet school, but there are so many other worthy candidates that get rejected?

I completly agree. I wish there was a way I could report him to the school. He applied about 7 times before he got in and I really wish the school had gone with their initial gut feeling about him. The only good that I can see in it is that there was another guy at the clinic who is just as bad as this guy and atleast he didn't get in too. That would be torture.

I hope so. He probably felt free to behave this way because he was essentially in a position of authority over me- I was a volunteer and he was a golden boy employee, so now that the playing field is more level he will be better.

Or.... maybe he had a crush on you and this was his way of expressing it... kind of like a 3rd grade "ew girls" thing ;) :p

Or.... maybe he had a crush on you and this was his way of expressing it... kind of like a 3rd grade "ew girls" thing ;) :p

I really don't think so because he is happily married with a kid now. You never know though, some people are just nasty like that. My gut says that he was just intimidated by me because I was his competition for getting in. He and the other guy would always ask what grades I got in my classes and when I refused to tell them they would say that I must have done really badly. They would also talk about my chances of getting in every time I came in. Maybe he will be nice now that he finally got what he wanted, but I don't think people are capable of changing their views on race, gender, sexual orientation that easily.

I really don't think so because he is happily married with a kid now. You never know though, some people are just nasty like that. My gut says that he was just intimidated by me because I was his competition for getting in. He and the other guy would always ask what grades I got in my classes and when I refused to tell them they would say that I must have done really badly. They would also talk about my chances of getting in every time I came in. Maybe he will be nice now that he finally got what he wanted, but I don't think people are capable of changing their views on race, gender, sexual orientation that easily.

Yeah he sounds like an *ss... kill him with kindness and better grades! ;)
I had a group of lab partners in Chem 1 make fun of me for getting a 98 on a test... who makes fun of someone for that? Isn't getting good grades the whole point? lol They nicknamed me "98" and then stopped later in the term when they realized it was actually a compliment and it wasn't bothering me one bit... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice and support everyone! I've been in this situation before with too much on my plate and I almost didn't finish my first degree ; you think I would have learned from that but I guess not :rolleyes:

I made an Excel sheet of my schedule and it was packed. I thought maybe I could pull it off then realized I forgot to put in travel time, eating, hygiene routines and any leisure time...so, probably not going to work. I think part-time job #2 will be cut first and I'll have to bite the bullet and borrow some money. Next time I'm at the clinic I'll talk to the manager about my hours. Initially it was 3 hours volunteering then they offered me 5 more hours and then 7 more. 15 hours per week volunteering seems like a lot but I was hoping my dedication would lead to a paying gig in the summer. They have hinted at that but no confirmation. I'll get an answer next time I'm in.

My goal is to make my application as strong as possible for next year, which I think is a good idea but sometimes I forget that I applied this year and still have a chance so maybe all this work is overkill. I need to calm down, prioritize, and keep my sanity :cool:

It could be worse...imagine being married to someone like that. He probably doesnt treat his wife much better than he treats other people.

It could be worse...imagine being married to someone like that. He probably doesnt treat his wife much better than he treats other people.
Maybe he actually locks her in a cage....

Kind of worried I havn't heard from Tufts yet :( they are my in-state and my first choice... blah.

Fireflysushi - as long as you're far enough away in the alphabet from him, you're golden. If you're not in the same cube as someone, interaction is kind of rare unless you make it happen. I can't remember anywhere in the first-year that I had to work with anyone other than people with last names close to me. If you're semi-avoiding someone, you really shouldn't run into him/her unless he/she is actively pursuing you. If you are veeery close in the alphabet and end up in the same anatomy group, you may want to consider getting married before school starts ;). You never know though, he could be a nicer person now. And the social pressures of vet school (due to being stuck wiht the same 130 people everyday) are such that it favors making people behave. If he is indeed an ass to you, I'm sure other people will notice... and chances are he'll also be an ass to others and he'll have it coming for him when the rest of the class shuns him.

spoon - i haven't heard either. let's hang in there.

Gah. I don't like being on waitlists for interviews. Worse than being on a waitlist for being accepted!

Yeah, but what if she's the type of person who enjoys that sort of destructive and negative relationship though... :slap: :smack:

spoon - i haven't heard either. let's hang in there.

Good luck Spoon and Bisbee -- hope you hear good news very soon.

Congrats to everyone who heard good news from Penn today :)

This process is hard...

Just a good firm shove (maybe tough love) will shake me from being a debbie downer...

Last edited:
Spoon - I only applied to 3 schools: Tufts, Cornell and Penn. I was rejected at Cornell and waiting to hear from Tufts and Penn. And you?

Spoon - I only applied to 3 schools: Tufts, Cornell and Penn. I was rejected at Cornell and waiting to hear from Tufts and Penn. And you?

I applied to 10 schools lol heard back from 5 and still waiting to hear from 5... Tufts and Penn are my top choices but I'm also waiting to hear from FL, Tenn, and Mich

I hope we get some good news soon :luck:

Fireflysushi - as long as you're far enough away in the alphabet from him, you're golden. If you're not in the same cube as someone, interaction is kind of rare unless you make it happen. I can't remember anywhere in the first-year that I had to work with anyone other than people with last names close to me. If you're semi-avoiding someone, you really shouldn't run into him/her unless he/she is actively pursuing you. If you are veeery close in the alphabet and end up in the same anatomy group, you may want to consider getting married before school starts ;). You never know though, he could be a nicer person now. And the social pressures of vet school (due to being stuck wiht the same 130 people everyday) are such that it favors making people behave. If he is indeed an ass to you, I'm sure other people will notice... and chances are he'll also be an ass to others and he'll have it coming for him when the rest of the class shuns him.

HaHa Thanks. I would actually probably be guaranteed to be in his group if I married my bf. Reason enough not to get married til after vet school lol :laugh: I will stay safely away from him alphabetically at least.

HaHa Thanks. I would actually probably be guaranteed to be in his group if I married my bf. Reason enough not to get married til after vet school lol :laugh: I will stay safely away from him alphabetically at least.

No need to wait that long. As long as school's already started, they're not going to shift everyone's cube locations and move you ;)

I am so seriously done with this process. Out of the 8 schools I applied to, I have 1 interview and only 3 more to hear from. Of course, I have a snowman's chance in hell getting into Wisconsin and who am I joking if I think that Penn will bat an eye at me. So it's really one school which is my IS, but also incredibly competitive. Am I the only one who is thinking I can't do this again? The only things I would have changed is that I would not have gotten my Bachelor's since it obviously pulled down my GPA. I would probably also have picked different schools, but I don't think that would help much. I am so exhausted from the rejection. I think it's the universe sending me a message.

I am so seriously done with this process. Out of the 8 schools I applied to, I have 1 interview and only 3 more to hear from. Of course, I have a snowman's chance in hell getting into Wisconsin and who am I joking if I think that Penn will bat an eye at me. So it's really one school which is my IS, but also incredibly competitive. Am I the only one who is thinking I can't do this again? The only things I would have changed is that I would not have gotten my Bachelor's since it obviously pulled down my GPA. I would probably also have picked different schools, but I don't think that would help much. I am so exhausted from the rejection. I think it's the universe sending me a message.

Hey! You have an Interview :)

It means a lot that at least one school wants to meet you.

I have had 4 rejections... 7 more left... Iowa State has not rejected me or given me an interview (if I have unknowingly been wait-listed for an interview, I am porb screwed because no one is going to turn down the invite --> thus, passive-aggressive rejection) ... Penn and Tufts probably laughed at my application and trashed it long ago ... Auburn prob wont read my application either ... who knows w Oregon ... and for my IS school VT, Im really scared some of my things didnt come through with my app and I am praying that it doesnt kill by best chance of getting in :scared:

So, for all of us that are having hard time with apps and especially for yourself, Go rock that interview!! that is a lot to look forward :D:thumbup:

I feel the exact same way. I love SDN, but I feel like it's part of the reason I'm so down on myself...because I'm comparing myself to people with exceptional stats. It's a whirlwird and it tugs at your emotions. I feel for you :( Is this your 1st app cycle?

Hey! You have an Interview :)

It means a lot that at least one school wants to meet you.

I have had 4 rejections... 7 more left... Iowa State has not rejected me or given me an interview (if I have unknowingly been wait-listed for an interview, I am porb screwed because no one is going to turn down the invite --> thus, passive-aggressive rejection) ... Penn and Tufts probably laughed at my application and trashed it long ago ... Auburn prob wont read my application either ... who knows w Oregon ... and for my IS school VT, Im really scared some of my things didnt come through with my app and I am praying that it doesnt kill by best chance of getting in :scared:

So, for all of us that are having hard time with apps and especially for yourself, Go rock that interview!! that is a lot to look forward in its self :D:thumbup:

Ditto with Iowa State. What are they stalling for?!

Ditto with Iowa State. What are they stalling for?!

Sigh... I dont know... I cant even get in contact with someone... and no one answers the portal emails...

its way dressing.

CFC: About this time two years ago I felt pretty terrible as well. I think that how long Davis takes to start the process really gets to us ISers where this is our best chance! Given enough time you can really convince yourself that you're doomed. Feel free to PM me if you really need to vent, you know I get it.

Good luck with your other interview and I hope you hear good news from here soon too!! :luck:

Sigh... I dont know... I cant even get in contact with someone... and no one answers the portal emails...

its way dressing.

Damn it! Website says interviews are done in January...I think. So I have a feeling they're done inviting. :mad:

Yeah, it's getting hard. I've been rejected by my IS (Cornell) which is also my UG alma mater (from which I graduated with distinction..3.9 gpa). Granted, my prereqs were taken 15 years ago, so I'm thinking that's the problem here. I chose vet schools to apply to, though, which don't have grade expiration, so I really thought I had a good chance. I've always been proud of my academic abilities and accomplishments, so this whole process is making me feel like there's no fool like an old fool. What was I even thinking putting myself through it? Couldn't I just leave well enough alone and remain proud of my accomplishments and leave my self-esteem intact?

Yeah, it's getting hard. I've been rejected by my IS (Cornell) which is also my UG alma mater (from which I graduated with distinction..3.9 gpa). Granted, my prereqs were taken 15 years ago, so I'm thinking that's the problem here. I chose vet schools to apply to, though, which don't have grade expiration, so I really thought I had a good chance. I've always been proud of my academic abilities and accomplishments, so this whole process is making me feel like there's no fool like an old fool. What was I even thinking putting myself through it? Couldn't I just leave well enough alone and remain proud of my accomplishments and leave my self-esteem intact?

There is no shame in going for it. You DO have a lot to be proud of :) I wish I could have been as talented at school. You should be able to walk through those doors next year! that just doesnt make sense...

I always seem to get in over my head and I can never free myself of personal problems. My life literally has been referred to as a "soap opera" by many people.

I leaned too late that I should have cut all distractions out an look out for myself. ... I used research as an outlet instead of my studies (which one would hope would help with applications at least a little bit) ... but I would have been better off not expanding my horizons and just shoved my face in a book/turned off my phone/lived by myself.

... its really bad at work because our clients and my co-workers are so excited about me applying and think I am a shoo-in ... all I have is bad news, there just seems to be more every week.

... and to Iowa State a courtesy email would be appreciated.

i'm so sorry you guys are going through such a rough time :( i know it's tough but keep your chins up and push on through! :xf: :luck:

... and to Iowa State a courtesy email would be appreciated.

Seriously. There's only 11-12 days until the next interviews. Realistically I know I'm not getting an interview but the longer I go without hearing anything is starting to give me some (false) hope. At this point I just wish they would finally reject me instead of just leaving me in committee review with no real chance of an interview.

I feel the exact same way. I love SDN, but I feel like it's part of the reason I'm so down on myself...because I'm comparing myself to people with exceptional stats. It's a whirlwird and it tugs at your emotions. I feel for you :( Is this your 1st app cycle?

This. I know once we're all in vet school, it won't matter how many schools wanted us, but right now it's more like a contest. It feels good to be wanted and to have a glorious hand of options in front of us. I am grateful to have an interview, but it doesn't exactly mean it makes all of these rejections better.

nyanko said:
CFC: About this time two years ago I felt pretty terrible as well. I think that how long Davis takes to start the process really gets to us ISers where this is our best chance! Given enough time you can really convince yourself that you're doomed. Feel free to PM me if you really need to vent, you know I get it.

Good luck with your other interview and I hope you hear good news from here soon too!! :luck:

^^^^ This means a lot to me. Thanks, nyanko.

I dont know if this helps at all, but 2 years ago, I didnt even have my first interview until January 23rd of that year. Certainly didn't have any acceptances before that, but definitely had a large handful of rejections. After that interview, had a few more interview offers magically appear- including Iowa after I thought they were completely done interviewing.
Went on to get into a few schools and waitlisted at a few more. Keep your fingers crossed and your hopes up!

I dont know if this helps at all, but 2 years ago, I didnt even have my first interview until January 23rd of that year. Certainly didn't have any acceptances before that, but definitely had a large handful of rejections. After that interview, had a few more interview offers magically appear- including Iowa after I thought they were completely done interviewing.
Went on to get into a few schools and waitlisted at a few more. Keep your fingers crossed and your hopes up!

I can hold on to that, it helps :xf:

I have been asked to provide a letter explaining the reason why my physics pre-req is expired. The school that I am applying to requires all science courses to be taken within the last 6 years. This course is now 6.5 years old. My explanation? Basically, I've returned to undergrad twice since I graduated for the purpose of upgrading and renewing my science courses (Biology and Chemistry). I simply can not afford to keep going back to replace courses that were expiring. Instead, I re-took the GRE and I've chose to work full time in a in a position that will count as veterinary experience as well as a part time job that would count as animal related experience. Thus strengthening other parts of my application.

Does this sound like an acceptable explanation?

Has anyone else ever written an explanation letter? If so, could you share yours with me so I have an idea of the format?

Thank you.

Lab Rat - Can you just say that at the time of application (several months ago) the course was not expired as yet? I wouldn't, personally go into all this other stuff like your job and finances...those aren't usually grounds for exemptions from requirements.

I totally feel where youre coming from :( between SDN and facebook I'm starting to feel like such crap these days... a bunch of girls from my class have interviews at Penn and now they're starting to get them for Tufts, I'm of course happy for everything and I love the community here at SDN but I'm just so frustrated with all the rejections especially when my peers are getting interviews :(

I am so seriously done with this process

Yeah, it's getting hard.

I totally feel where youre coming from :( between SDN and facebook I'm starting to feel like such crap these days...

So sorry, Bisbee, CFC and Spoondiggity -- and I know exactly where you are coming from. I am extremely happy for those who have gotten places already, but it's difficult to feel left in the wings. I went into this process knowing that I might not be successful this year, and I have a plan to bolster my application for next cycle (i.e. take a couple more courses, do some more volunteer work, use any feedback to strengthen my application), but it's still tough. I think the post-holiday period just isn't the best time to be going through this either.

Bisbee, I think that part of my problem is the same as yours -- the older prereqs, not the 3.9 GPA that is. (I WISH I had a 3.9 GPA!) Will Cornell give you any feedback? Either way, you should still be incredibly proud of your accomplishments. You have a stellar GPA from one of the best schools in the world! Don't let it get you down just yet. Hopefully Penn or Tufts will come through.

what about you now?

Sorry I missed this, B. (Took a day off SDN to regroup!) Nothing one way or the other. I'm trying to look at it as "no news is good news", though the success of this approach depends on what hour of the day it is... Thanks, Nyanko and Cowgirla for your support. It is really helpful to those of us firmly stuck in the process.