The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those of you who have had to do this....is it appropriate to email and officially withdraw my application/decline my acceptance from a school? i'm scared to call and all -- i have this irrational fear that they're like going to yell at me on the phone about how i shouldn't have wasted their time or whatever :(

just trying to get this done before it goes any further...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you definitely should let them know. I just did it for Ross and they wished me luck and that was that. It is nice to do it as early as possible just for the sake of the applicant taking your place.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who have had to do this....is it appropriate to email and officially withdraw my application/decline my acceptance from a school? i'm scared to call and all -- i have this irrational fear that they're like going to yell at me on the phone about how i shouldn't have wasted their time or whatever :(

I took care of my Iowa withdrawal via their "portal"/status page, and they were really nice (which surprised me because they were a little snippy with me on other communications!). JUST DO IT. ;) The other applicants waiting for a spot will thank you! :laugh:

yeah i know, i want to do it quickly so other applicants can snatch up my spot! it's hard for me to it because it means i'm making it official where i'm attending in the fall!!!!! just sent the email to VMRCVM though so hopefully the rest will just be easy...gotta figure out if there's a way i can do the others online without email/phone.

yeah i know, i want to do it quickly so other applicants can snatch up my spot! it's hard for me to it because it means i'm making it official where i'm attending in the fall!!!!! just sent the email to VMRCVM though so hopefully the rest will just be easy...gotta figure out if there's a way i can do the others online without email/phone.

Dooooooo it! Me want your CSU spot :p but in all honesty, I think it will clear your head and make you say, yes I FINALLY chose a school. I'm sticking with that choice! Don't look back

I called most of my schools (that didn't provide a form) and they told me to do it via email, since they need it written form. The ones I talked to were very nice, and congratulated me!

Sunnex I withdrew everywhere via e-mail. I think it is totally appropriate. For CSU you can just e-mail janet janke @ [email protected]
It is such a relief to make your decision final!

Still waiting to hear from UW, my one and only . Can I please go into a medically induced coma until the letter comes? The waiting gets worse every day.

Still waiting to hear from UW, my one and only . Can I please go into a medically induced coma until the letter comes? The waiting gets worse every day.
That's hard if it's your only one. But don't worry, this too shall pass. You will hear something soon enough and be put out of your misery. I hope you hear very good news!

When does UW let people know? I was under the impression it was fairly late? Not sure where that got stuck in my head?

Letters will be mailed by late February.... which is an unfathomable number of disappointing empty mailboxes away.

Members don't see this ad :)
43 days... and counting that I've been waiting. Good God K-State ... make haste, my sanity is at stake!!!

:scared:

43 days... and counting that I've been waiting. Good God K-State ... make haste, my sanity is at stake!!!

:scared:

It seems as though they started sending out letters! Keep an eye out, I have my :xf: for you!

That IS a long wait. Best of luck to you guys this week! Good news soon, please.

I think all the vet schools have gotten together and decided to torture applicants by making them wait absurdly long amounts of time before telling them if they're in or not. I had to wait 65 days from interview to acceptance for OSU and have found that several others had the same wait (from our facebook group). And Kansas is doing the same long wait thing :thumbdown:

New favorite thing: Ohio updated by status page to "rejected." They have not actually bothered to notify me in any way, ie - mail, email, phone call, etc.

Seriously?

New favorite thing: Ohio updated by status page to "rejected." They have not actually bothered to notify me in any way, ie - mail, email, phone call, etc.

Seriously?

Have you heard anything from tufts?? I'm going to check out ohio buckeye link just to have a laugh.

Well, that's got to be one of the rudest things I've ever heard, not to even email and just to update your status with "rejected"....geesh!

Mine still says decision. And not approved. But I agree with Bisbee on this one. The word "rejected" gives me a picture of a big L on your head (not that you are a loser, just saying it's a poor choice of words)

Question (I posted on Penn's page too but I want to hear as many opinions as possible):

I have not heard anything from Penn. I am waitlisted at Oregon State (which I am THRILLED about).

I am currently scheduled to take 14 credits this semester (mostly online) and work 32 hours a week. I am trying to stave off loan payments by being a full time student (I cant work enough to pay for things while finishing some pre-reqs). I suck at math and I am scheduled to take Calculus online this semester and Oregon State does not require calc.

I am worried I will get a B and I dont want to burn my GPA if I have to apply again next year.

What are my odds at this point of hearing anything positive from Penn?! Honestly, I was planning on moving to Oregon if I didn't get into vet school this year... and I know that I will go to Oregon if I make it off of the waitlist.

Should I drop calc and accept that I am withdrawing from Penn?!

How would a W look on my application (I have never withdrawn from a course before)?

Question (I posted on Penn's page too but I want to hear as many opinions as possible):

I have not heard anything from Penn. I am waitlisted at Oregon State (which I am THRILLED about).

I am currently scheduled to take 14 credits this semester (mostly online) and work 32 hours a week. I am trying to stave off loan payments by being a full time student (I cant work enough to pay for things while finishing some pre-reqs). I suck at math and I am scheduled to take Calculus online this semester and Oregon State does not require calc.

I am worried I will get a B and I dont want to burn my GPA if I have to apply again next year.

What are my odds at this point of hearing anything positive from Penn?! Honestly, I was planning on moving to Oregon if I didn't get into vet school this year... and I know that I will go to Oregon if I make it off of the waitlist.

How would a W look on my application (I have never withdrawn from a course before)?

Congrats on getting on the Oregon waitlist!! I can't even begin to tell you what your chances are for Penn, but as far as how W's look I don't think they will hurt you too much. I had two on my transcript (one actually brought the semester down to 12 credits) and I still got accepted and offered interviews at multiple places. I also don't think a B or so in calc will kill your chances. Many vet schools understand that math and/or chem is not a pre-vet's prerogative and they accept slightly lower grades in these areas. As long as you do well in your other classes. I think it would be safest to take calc so that if you do get accepted to Penn you won't have to worry about taking it over the summer, but I understand not wanting to!Good Luck!

Virginger, I'm so excited you made the waitlist!!! That is AWESOME!!
About the W, I mean, you may as well wait until you hear back from Penn, right? I mean, you can take the W now or take the W later, but it will still be a W either way. (I have 2 or 3 W's on my transcript- I'm not in anywhere though, so I can't say that it's bad..) however, you will have a good reason for your W if you choose to take it, and you can easily explain that to adcoms... Good Luck! :luck::luck::luck:

I think all the vet schools have gotten together and decided to torture applicants by making them wait absurdly long amounts of time before telling them if they're in or not. I had to wait 65 days from interview to acceptance for OSU and have found that several others had the same wait (from our facebook group). And Kansas is doing the same long wait thing :thumbdown:

If I develop hypertension...I'm pointing my fingers at the vet schools! :p

Virginger.... I smiled so wide when I read that you're on the waitlist for Oregon. Congrats!

Virginger-
It's easy to just drop a class and take a W, but it's hard (and shows character) to take a class that you know will challenge you and get a 3.0. I would say stick it out and try as hard as you can to do well. How many exams are there in the class? Maybe you can take the first one, see how you do, and then make a decision? I would say a 3.0 looks better than a W. To me, a W looks like "I gave up" unless you have a real reason as to why you dropped it (medical, personal, family, etc). Good luck! Spartan love:luck:

Seriously?

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :confused:

I took calc last semester and was terrified of it. I posted here about it. I stuck with it because I had to kind of, and guess what? All throughout the semester I had a middle A average! I always sucked at math, but somehow this one worked out. I ended up with a B-, because I majorly bombed the final, but just study a little bit every day, and it's really not that bad. Making study guides for each quiz and test really helped me. :)

Thanks for the advice PetPony, psilovethomas, LittleWiz, jemappellejane, and Fireflysushi :) !!!!

You all made good points. I think it does make sense to try. If I wanted to avoid a W, I would have to drop by Feb 7 which means I didnt give the class a chance. I found out that I have till March 13th (after midterms) to decide to withdraw. Worst case scenario is Im not good at calc, take a W, and then I start fresh another semester.

:xf: I wont need clac and will have some official good news :luck:

I don't normally give people a hard time for typos, but I was :confused:..wtf is clac. I thought it was some other new acronym I had never heard of. :laugh:

AGH! lol ... oops, yes I was trying to type Calc. :rofl:

Well, that's got to be one of the rudest things I've ever heard, not to even email and just to update your status with "rejected"....geesh!

I'm sure the wording was less tragic than that, but still-at least actually notify me!

And no, no word from Tufts. I am really trying not to be bitter and angry. But I am anyways. Snarl.

So after a week of bitterness, pity, and forcing myself to think about a new plan B, I got a call from Tufts while I was at work today.

I got offered an interview! :D I am legit pee-my-pants happy, guys. This'll be my third year interviewing there, and they had better be prepared for my awesomeness.
Also, better make sure my suit pants still fit...ruh roh.

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!! :D
I'm sure you will kick some butt!!!!

WEN - I said it in the other thread, and I'm saying it here again: I knew they would get you off the waitlist. Now, I bet you are nervous and all after going through all of this before, but you will do well. You know what to expect, you've been through, in your mind many times over, what you said and didn't say last year. So, you know what to say. Best of luck. I want to see you in the acceptance threat soon!

I mean acceptance thread (not threat...sorry).

So after a week of bitterness, pity, and forcing myself to think about a new plan B, I got a call from Tufts while I was at work today.

I got offered an interview! :D I am legit pee-my-pants happy, guys. This'll be my third year interviewing there, and they had better be prepared for my awesomeness.
Happy to hear it. Somehow I always expected you to end up there. So please end up there!

:love::highfive::highfive::clap::clap: :soexcited::soexcited::bow:

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!! Congrats WEN!!!!! You are going to rock it. omg, omg, omg....when is it???

That's awesome, Whyevernot! Congratulations!!!

:highfive:

WAHOO! So excited for you whyevernot! Go show them your awesomeness. Hoping you get accepted, you deserve it!

Woot woot Whyevernot!! You will rock the pants off that interview!!!!:soexcited: I'm soo happy to see you got it!!

I know it's early for Davis, and I know Western isn't done yet, but I can't shake the feeling that I've got a thin envelope from Davis on it's way already and Western chances are dwindling day by day.

I know I'm not alone in this terrible march of uncertainty, there are others that feel it too. I just really, really want it to be over so I can lick my wounds and move on to next year/SGU applications. I'm also starting to question myself again. Self? why did you ever think you had a chance at vet school?

Not my best day. Sorry if I brought anyone down, and congrats to those who did get interview offers.

Don't give up! The waiting game makes me question every decision I've made. Some days I'm like I'm not going to get into vet school, so why did I bother with college? Try to find someone outside the app process to give you some perspective. You can do it! Worst thing that can happen is they say not this year, you do a file review, and spend the year improving the weaker parts of your app. Also try to stay busy and distracted. I find great comfort in Say Yes to the Dress :)

The waiting really does bring you down...me, too. Everyone always says to do a file review and see what they have to say and then work to change those things. Then we hear about friends here who have done that and actually end up rejected (when they were interviewed and waitlisted the previous year, or interview waitlisted when they were straight-out interviewed and then waitlisted the previous year). Maybe the file review is good for some people, but I think it makes others feel like if they just do these things that the admissions person said, they'll get in next time. But that just doesn't seem to be the case. And don't we really all already pretty much know what the weak points of our applications are. Also, during the application process the first time didn't we already investigate what each school looks for (grades, gpa, experience). I hope this isn't too much of a downer, but this is how it's looking to me right now. I've already started my Plan B, but I'm still keeping the fingers crossed for a Penn interview. It's not the end of the world not to get in if there is a real way to fix what's wrong; it's really the randomness and the waiting that bothers me so much.

I know it's early for Davis, and I know Western isn't done yet, but I can't shake the feeling that I've got a thin envelope from Davis on it's way already and Western chances are dwindling day by day.

REALLY early! Try not to lose hope!

I got my interview invite from Davis super late in the first week they were sending them out. I know 2 classmates who got theirs on the very last day they went out! Not over yet!

REALLY early! Try not to lose hope!

I got my interview invite from Davis super late in the first week they were sending them out. I know 2 classmates who got theirs on the very last day they went out! Not over yet!

I've been sending my mother and all my friends LOLcats with really, ridiculously sad faces.

You think I'm bugging them yet??