The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aww Bisbee :( You are like the mom I wish I had, always supportive and reminding us that life goes on even after set backs. Good luck with your future plans :luck: I hope your kids know how lucky they are!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so sorry that vet school didn't work out for you Bisbee. I'm sure that you would have made an incredible vet. I applaud you for making such a huge sacrifice for your children and for trying again. More than that, you are brave in considering an alternative life path. I know many would be unwilling to move forward if placed in your position. Your compassion and wisdom (which is always evident in your comments) will lend itself to any path you choose. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will continue to bless us with your kind words here in the pre-vet forum. Now go out there and be the best DO there ever was! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg this is too touching :(. I never knew you were actually a student at Cornell. They are ALL missing out on such a wonderful lady. I will be sad that the DOs will have our SDN mom.

I agree with this 100%

Best of luck Bisbee on your new path!! Hope you still pop in every now and then for a chat. We'll miss having you around and I'll definitely miss all of your support and kind words. :love:

Bisbee, that was truly a touching message. I admire you for the strength you've had to keep working for you dreams. Your children are so lucky to have such a wonderful and endearing woman for a mother. Wherever this next journey takes you, I hope you encounter a community as great as the one here, because they are gaining a truly fantastic person. I wish this cycle could have turned out differently for you! Best of luck with medical school.

bisbee your post literally almost brought tears to my eyes. i truly wish you the best with your future endeavors -- please know that you're always the "mom" of pre-vet SDN!

in many ways you remind me of my own mother who had to forego some of her own dreams for me and my sister and i'm sure your children are forever grateful for that (i know i am)

please do stop by now and then and check up on us or for a small chat! i know you'll do great in whatever you choose to do now :) :luck:

Bisbee you are amazing. I admire you for your strength to pursue your dreams through all these years and trials and I hope I can find the strength to do the same. I will miss your "can do" attitude and positive spirit around here. I wish you the best of luck in your new career path, and hope you still visit us! :luck:

**Please forgive any typos - I'm playing two-thumbed wizard on my phone**

Bisbee - I have teared up. You remind me so much of my mother (who will be 70 this year)... She has always been supportive of my secondary career; and I found out just a few years ago that she was accepted to medical school but didn't attend due to reasons she's only willing to gloss over. I know she regrets not going even though she loved her job as an analytical chemist; and I can only begin to understand your position.

It's obvious you're an incredibly strong person - it takes a lot of guts to enter professional school w/ small children. My mentor did it after completing undergrad with an infant and toddler; and admits that if it hadn't been for the support of her husband, she may not have finished either.

What I want you to remember is that you didn't 'quit'. You made a heart wreching decision to do what you felt best for your family. You made a sacrifice for which you should be proud of. Leaving behind your dream is never easy regardless of the circumstances; and if you chose to follow the allopathic path now, I wish you nothing but the best. My brother-in-law is a DO and and a damn good doctor. He finished at 32; and now, at 36, will finally be realizing his dream of going into cardiology this summer. Thus, I have high respect for the field.

However, you have to follow your heart (no pun intended). So as much as it all stings right now (and believe me - I know the feeling all too well) please do a little soul searching to ensure that no matter what plan you follow that you will be happy in the end. Because in the end, you being happy is what I can say we ALL here wish for you. You've been an amazing support pillar for this group; and I'm positive the veterinary profession would be better with you in it. You will be missed; but know you will always have the support of we vet folks regardless of where life leads you next.

All the best to you, my friend. Now and always. :luck::luck:

Bisbee - I have teared up. You remind me so much of my mother (who will be 70 this year)... She has always been supportive of my secondary career; and I found out just a few years ago that she was accepted to medical school but didn't attend due to reasons she's only willing to gloss over. I know she regrets not going even though she loved her job as an analytical chemist; and I can only begin to understand your position.

It's obvious you're an incredibly strong person - it takes a lot of guts to enter professional school w/ small children. My mentor did it after completing undergrad with an infant and toddler; and admits that if it hadn't been for the support of her husband, she may not have finished either.

What I want you to remember is that you didn't 'quit'. You made a heart wreching decision to do what you felt best for your family. You made a sacrifice for which you should be proud of. Leaving behind your dream is never easy regardless of the circumstances; and if you chose to follow the allopathic path now, I wish you nothing but the best. My brother-in-law is a DO and and a damn good doctor. He finished at 32; and now, at 36, will finally be realizing his dream of going into cardiology this summer. Thus, I have high respect for the field.

However, you have to follow your heart (no pun intended). So as much as it all stings right now (and believe me - I know the feeling all too well) please do a little soul searching to ensure that no matter what plan you follow that you will be happy in the end. Because in the end, you being happy is what I can say we ALL here wish for you. You've been an amazing support pillar for this group; and I'm positive the veterinary profession would be better with you in it. You will be missed; but know you will always have the support of we vet folks regardless of where life leads you next.

couldn't have said it any better myself LMMS (and in fact, i didn't!)

ditto to everything LMMS said here bisbee. seriously.

I know! My previous post sounds lame. But at least I'm the brave TigerWillow !!

Seriously. Talk about hitting the nail on the head. LMMS, your response puts mine to shame.

Seriously. Talk about hitting the nail on the head. LMMS, your response puts mine to shame.

Yep, Bisbee is the best! And we all appreciate her! Thanks for putting how we all feel into words, LMMS!

I know! My previous post sounds lame. But at least I'm the brave TigerWillow !!

Yep, Bisbee is the best! And we all appreciate her! Thanks for putting how we all feel into words, LMMS!

Aw, guys, ALL of you said wonderful things. Guess my 'big sister' role just kinda took over. I never intended to make anyone feel badly; but am glad that my words resonate with so many of you in regard to our friend Bisbee. And, Tiger, your post is nowhere near lame. This is lame:

Me sitting on my couch in pj's with my ancient kitty eating Girl Scout cookies (Tagalongs aka Peanut Butter Patties) for dinner while watching The Biggest Loser. Makes me glad I'm single! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Bisbee, you rock. Although I was really hoping we could be classmates and one day colleagues! Your story, your optimism, and your unyielding support of all of us on this forum are inspiring. Best of luck to you!!

Me sitting on my couch in pj's with my ancient kitty eating Girl Scout cookies (Tagalongs aka Peanut Butter Patties) for dinner while watching The Biggest Loser. Makes me glad I'm single! :laugh:

I.... bought myself an entire Baskin Robins ice cream cake today...... days of enjoyment..... (waiting for Biggest Loser to come on over here on the west coast in an hour lol) :smuggrin:

I.... bought myself an entire Baskin Robins ice cream cake today...... days of enjoyment..... (waiting for Biggest Loser to come on over here on the west coast in an hour lol) :smuggrin:

You are the second person I've read today that is eating ice cream as you watch the Biggest Loser... :laugh: kind of ironic ;)

Bisbee, I probably won't be able to add anything new, but I just wanted to say that your post made me very sad. I can't belive how hard it must be to be told "No" after already having been accepted years earlier. I also respect you so much for the descisions that you have made, both for your family and for yourself. As others have said this community will truely miss your wonderful/ motherly advice, and I think we have all benefited from it in the past, whether it was directed at our posts or not. Thank you for being a part of the pre-vet SDN.

Oh my gosh! You guys make me feel like it's Mothers Day in February! I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of understanding, love and support. Reading all these posts has been better than getting flowers, candy and Mothers Day cards. LLMS, you seem to know my heart; you're an insightful person, indeed. I will keep you all posted on my new journey, and I surely cannot keep myself from checking up on all of you as we go along. Wishing the best for all of you because you are the best!!!

Oh my gosh! You guys make me feel like it's Mothers Day in February! I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of understanding, love and support. Reading all these posts has been better than getting flowers, candy and Mothers Day cards. LLMS, you seem to know my heart; you're an insightful person, indeed. I will keep you all posted on my new journey, and I surely cannot keep myself from checking up on all of you as we go along. Wishing the best for all of you because you are the best!!!

Bisbee, you're totally deserving! You're a big and important part of our family here; and we would hope you would come back and check on us regardless of where you are. We've had a couple of folks jump ship, and we've wished them well. But every time they come by we're all delighted to see them. So please, be sure to check in from time to time and let us know how things are going with you. That way we won't have to hunt you down. ;) Take care; and best of luck finding the 'right' path. We'll all be here if you need us...

First: I wish I had gotten on here earlier so I could have gotten to know Bisbee.

Second: Is there a thread for people declining schools. Trying to expedite the process of giving myself an ulcer and obsessing every day by checking to see if people are declining the schools I'm waitlisted at.

First: I wish I had gotten on here earlier so I could have gotten to know Bisbee.

Second: Is there a thread for people declining schools. Trying to expedite the process of giving myself an ulcer and obsessing every day by checking to see if people are declining the schools I'm waitlisted at.

Not really. I think it's for good reasons, such as preventing stress ulcers. ;) Don't do that to yourself, and also, don't start worrying about it until at LEAST the end of April. A lot of schools won't call anyone until after the April 16th deadline. WHOOOOSA!!!!!!!!!!!! :sleep:

Plus, all its gonna do is get you excited when you see someone decline a spot, when there could be 23 ahead of you still. The same reason most schools don't tell you your waitlist position...

Oh Emiloo, you are so wise!!!! I guess I didn't really think the implications through... Just wondering about my odds. :oops: I know I shouldn't stress but it's like asking someone who's falling not to worry about hitting the ground... lol :smack:

Oh Emiloo, you are so wise!!!! I guess I didn't really think the implications through... Just wondering about my odds. :oops: I know I shouldn't stress but it's like asking someone who's falling not to worry about hitting the ground... lol :smack:

Oh yes, we all know how it feels!!! Welcome to our community of panic attacks :eek:

P.S. I'm JUST like you, so I understand that knowing makes you feel better.... let me be the first to tell you, sometimes it really only drives you more crazy! I have learned the hard way! Hang in there!

Bisbee: [apologies for being late on this!] - you have been a wonderful presence here this cycle and I truly admire all of your sacrifices you made to raise your family :biglove: I wish you all of the warmest & BEST luck with your future endeavors! Like others have mentioned, please do keep us informed about how everything goes. Us here at pre-vet will always be rooting for you :luck::luck::luck: :hug:

Omgosh, Bisbee, I had no idea all of this love was pouring out for you on this thread... I feel like such a jerk for being away for so long. But you read my post on the rejection thread, so you know how I feel! I will pm you soon, mama bear!!! Lol :)

THere is a thread in pre-allo
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1007

would you eat a poop hotdog to get into med school?

I thought you might like to discuss amongst yourselves!

(thread has lasted 10 years)

Fine, I will be the first to comment on this matter. It would totally be dependent on the species of origin of the pooh. Cat pooh, would take a lot of convincing, however, rabbit looks a lot like coco puffs.

Fine, I will be the first to comment on this matter. It would totally be dependent on the species of origin of the pooh. Cat pooh, would take a lot of convincing, however, rabbit looks a lot like coco puffs.
bbeventer nooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I was hoping that this line of discussion would die!! Pooping eating is one of my absolute most despised things!!!:barf:

bbeventer nooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I was hoping that this line of discussion would die!! Pooping eating is one of my absolute most despised things!!!:barf:

Oh, please. Being around animals has made me very comfortable with pooh. I can think of several worst things to eat :rolleyes:

Oh, please. Being around animals has made me very comfortable with pooh. I can think of several worst things to eat :rolleyes:
Haha! You are a far braver soul than I!! I have worked at a vet hospital for 5 years and at best I have grown to tolerate it. You'd think I was a prissy, girly, silly princess but I come a-runnin when there's abscesses and maggots!! lol

Cat, dog, and chicken (or any avian species actually) poo disturbs me far more than cattle or horse poo. And yeah, I can see the "coco puffs" quality to the rabbit poo-balls.

However, I seriously doubt I would knowingly chow down on a big plate of feces.

Cat, dog, and chicken (or any avian species actually) poo disturbs me far more than cattle or horse poo.

I am quite the opposite. I'd rather deal with avian poop. Not that I'd ever - EVER - eat it, mind you. But, yes, avian poop can be pretty darn gross.

I was told by a ranger in S. Africa, that elephant poo is mostly undigested grass (especially older elephants). He said it wouldn't be as bad as eating carnivore poo.

I think I'd eat rabbit droppings for maybe...a hundred dollars? maybe less if I'm a poor vet student....

I was told by a ranger in S. Africa, that elephant poo is mostly undigested grass (especially older elephants). He said it wouldn't be as bad as eating carnivore poo.

Horses are pretty much the same, cow, though has a liquid quality to it that is beyond reason.

Avian poop defiantly takes the cake for most disturbing poo quality.

Horses are pretty much the same, cow, though has a liquid quality to it that is beyond reason.

Avian poop defiantly takes the cake for most disturbing poo quality.
The snake poop I've seen has this barfalicious large curd cottage cheese quality to it that is awfully nightmare inducing...... lol

The snake poop I've seen has this barfalicious large curd cottage cheese quality to it that is awfully nightmare inducing...... lol

euuuuulllllllghhhhhh

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY Did SOV bring this discussion in????? It's like he wants to torment us!!!

I think I'd eat rabbit droppings for maybe...a hundred dollars? maybe less if I'm a poor vet student....

Sorry to invade the thread since I'm new to SDN :) I would eat rabbit poop too. In fact, rabbits pass two type of droppings: fecal pellets and something that's called cecotropes. Cecotropes are very nutritious and rabbits normally eat them, so if I had to eat any feces it would be rabbit poop and ingest some vitamins along the way :)

Sorry to invade the thread since I'm new to SDN :) I would eat rabbit poop too. In fact, rabbits pass two type of droppings: fecal pellets and something that's called cecotropes. Cecotropes are very nutritious and rabbits normally eat them, so if I had to eat any feces it would be rabbit poop and ingest some vitamins along the way :)

I'm pretty sure I accidentally ate rabbit poo. Not sure how. I had four rabbits in my room once. Maybe I inhaled it.

It definitely tasted Blegh. But wasn't Absolutely dreadful.

I'm pretty sure I accidentally ate rabbit poo. Not sure how. I had four rabbits in my room once. Maybe I inhaled it.

It definitely tasted Blegh. But wasn't Absolutely dreadful.

Ever had to deal with rabbit puss? Two words... cream cheese. :barf:

Ever had to deal with rabbit puss? Two words... cream cheese. :barf:

I've been really really lucky. I haven't.

I'm down to one :( and he's 12. But it's safe to say he's not getting any cream cheese anytime soon.

I've been really really lucky. I haven't.

I'm down to one :( and he's 12. But it's safe to say he's not getting any cream cheese anytime soon.

We had a rabbit come in with a huge abscess on it's face, and when we cut into it, I felt like I should've had a bagel handy. It was literally like cream cheese or laughing cow cheese color and texture. I haven't eaten either since.... :barf:
And the poor little guy never made it, the infection was throughout his whole face :(

Can I just say that this discussion would only be held on a pre-vet forum.

Continue...