The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I chose not to tell a lot of people that I'm applying, other than my close friends and family, though it seems it somehow got out that I applied because somehow TONS of people know. I'm a private person, and while I'm glad I shared it with those closest to me, I wish other people didn't know, it makes the pressure so much worse knowing that so many people will know if I don't get it

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh, I told everyone that I was applying. My eye doctor even tried to talk me out of it. I guess I'm pretty blessed to have supportive family, friends, and co-workers. I think the only quixotic crowd I have is my friends at work. They seem sure that I'll get in, even if some of them were there two years ago when I didn't get in. But here's the thing, I told everyone because I am (or was) pretty confident that I'll get in somewhere. Now, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll have to see what December brings...and then January, February, and March. I don't want to let these people around me down, but I really don't want to fail myself. That's why I'm doing this, right?

Gosh, I told everyone that I was applying. My eye doctor even tried to talk me out of it. I guess I'm pretty blessed to have supportive family, friends, and co-workers. I think the only quixotic crowd I have is my friends at work. They seem sure that I'll get in, even if some of them were there two years ago when I didn't get in. But here's the thing, I told everyone because I am (or was) pretty confident that I'll get in somewhere. Now, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll have to see what December brings...and then January, February, and March. I don't want to let these people around me down, but I really don't want to fail myself. That's why I'm doing this, right?

That is so strange... my eye doctor tried to talk me out of it too :laugh: must be a conspiracy

Members don't see this ad :)
It was kinda hard for me to keep it a secret because I had to go from full time to part time at work to take my prerequisites and it wasn't just like leave early or anything, I had some days I'd come in late others I'd leave early, so people asked. Plus I'd take my books to study and everyone was like O. Chem why are you taking that, I thought you already graduated. So, everyone knew and then I quit to go work at a vet clinic and had to ask for eLORs and they do NOT keep secrets well there, plus the manager knew and I think told everyone before I even started :(. So, I have been getting the oh you'll get in for sure.

Then I left the clinic to go back to the electronics company I worked for before and you will not believe what multiple people have asked me....................... Am I a vet now. These people are serious, they have like no clue! Then I say I'm waiting to hear and they are like oh I'm sure you'll get in. Then there are those that think that I am in vet school now... AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE! :laugh: So, yeah, I do NOT want to have to tell everyone I didn't get in. And if that isn't bad enough my boss has been introducing me to knew people and telling them that I will only be with the company until August because I'm gonna be going to vet school :eek:. Then me, well hopefully if I get in, I haven't heard yet. And my boss is like oh I know she'll get in.

So, yeah, the waiting hasn't been too easy. I go from feeling really confident at times because I was invited to the early interview at Ohio State, to feeling like I'm not gonna get in because the other 3 people from here that were at the early interview have all already gotten acceptances.

In general, I've been going with the don't think about it and just be surprised if I get good news before Christmas :thumbup:.

Squirrelsrule-I like your story. I hope you hear from Ohio soon with an acceptance. I'm rooting for you!

I told a lot of people as well (both last year and this year) and I kind of liked having the support system. Yeah, everyone told me I would get in (ended up on 4 different wait lists=torture) but it was nice to have people get excited with me when I heard about interviews last year. For this year, everyone pretty much assumed I was going to try again since it's something I've pretty much wanted to do since I was like 5. I'm just nervous that I've set myself up for failure. After last year, I feel like I'm overly confident and it didn't help that after talking to a member of admissions at my IS school (who also happened to be one of the people who interviewed me) about last year's application that he felt I shouldn't have problems this year either. I just feel like it was a little too much false hope. I'm definitely glad he seemed confident in me, but it still makes me extremely nervous.

Squirrelsrule-I like your story. I hope you hear from Ohio soon with an acceptance. I'm rooting for you!

Thanks bisbee. I'm rooting for you too. Hoping this is gonna be the year for SDN! Everyone on here will be accepted somewhere, how awesome would that be!

So, I guess I join this thread with a rant of my own. I am starting to get extremely worried and nervous about my upcoming interview at Ohio State. It is less than two weeks away and I am freaking out. I got my outfit over the weekend and it is a gray business suit with a dark gray undershirt. I asked someone I know for a second opinion on my outfit and she said that the gray undershirt made me look boring. So, now I am thinking about going and getting a new shirt.

On top of that, I feel like I cannot talk to anyone I know about how worried I am. Everytime I talk about my vet school related things I always get the "Oh, you will do fine." or "How could they not accept you?" I don't think they understand how difficult it is to get into veterinary school. Ugh, I like the encouragement but at the same time I just want someone to understand how I feel.

So, I guess I join this thread with a rant of my own. I am starting to get extremely worried and nervous about my upcoming interview at Ohio State. It is less than two weeks away and I am freaking out. I got my outfit over the weekend and it is a gray business suit with a dark gray undershirt. I asked someone I know for a second opinion on my outfit and she said that the gray undershirt made me look boring. So, now I am thinking about going and getting a new shirt.

On top of that, I feel like I cannot talk to anyone I know about how worried I am. Everytime I talk about my vet school related things I always get the "Oh, you will do fine." or "How could they not accept you?" I don't think they understand how difficult it is to get into veterinary school. Ugh, I like the encouragement but at the same time I just want someone to understand how I feel.

I think the gray suit and gray undershirt should be fine, so long as they're not the same gray. After all, interviews are about getting to know the person, not how snazzy their outfit is.

And ugh, I know the feeling! The most annoying part is, a lot of the people who are telling me "you'll get in, you'll get in" are pre-vet students themselves...

I really think that as long as you are wearing a suit and professional ish shoes for the interview you're good. They're not going to deduct points because your fashion was too boring--in fact, it's probably better to be boring than be too off the wall in some ways. You'll be fine!! They'll remember your personality and answers more than your clothes. Your interviewers are vets and vet students, not fashion majors. :)

Found this for you, my dear. A lot of good advice in this thread. Try and relax a little and make sure you read the interview feedback section to prepare!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=694720&highlight=interview+attire

While I think what everyone has been saying is true, I also don't think you can completely ignore a person's outfit. As much as we try not, everyone (at one point or another) judges based on appearance. I don't really think anything like grey on grey is going to be an issue, so this comment is more just about interview outfits and stuff in general, but you do kind of want to draw some attention to yourself, but in a positive way of course. I did a mock interview with one of my female professors and she told me that my shoes should be professional but also fashionable in case I have a female interviewer since that is something she is more likely to notice. I also dressed in a summery business outfit when I went to review my application with Penn in August and received a comment about how I looked like I was there for an interview, which was kind of how I wanted to treat the review especially since it was with the person who interviewed me earlier in the year.

What day is your interview? Morning or afternoon? I ask because I'll be there doing tours and panels for the people who have afternoon interviews on the 9th and 10th, so if that's you and I can answer any questions that day that will put your mind at ease, let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)

You need some other pre-vet friends. You're going to find that pretty much nobody else 'gets it'. And once (if, hopefully!) you get into school, you'll find that pretty much nobody outside of school (other than vets, I 'spose) 'gets it' as well. Just the way it is. :)

Regarding dress: Dress professionally. Don't preoccupy yourself with whether you look 'boring' or 'snappy' or whatever - just be professional.

More importantly, 'professional' isn't limited to your clothes. Shake hands, smile, make the right amount of small talk, stick with only positive topics of conversation (i.e. don't let someone overhear you griping about the process, or some aspect of the school, etc.). All of that 'interviewing for a job' stuff. :)

As far as attire, go with what makes you most comfortable and you feel the best in. Your confidence will definitely get a boost if you're wearing something you really like. Fashion is different for everyone! :)

SDN is made for spazzing out about vet medicine related topics (and some that aren't so much haha). Welcome to a place where most of us can relate, understand or just nod reassuringly ;)

Well, since we are on the subject of interview attire...

I've seen lots of discussion about what constitutes appropriate interview attire for women, but us boys, there hasn't been much. I can't shake the feeling that a full on suit might be a bit much for a vet school interview. I was thinking of doing a sports jacket/dress pants/tie combo instead. Any thoughts from the ladies and gents on that approach? Still nice, but not I'm-interviewing-for-a-Wall-Street-job. For the guys, or for the women who have seen guys at vet school interviews, do guys always show up in suits, or would it be ok to do something a bit less intense?

I've seen lots of discussion about what constitutes appropriate interview attire for women, but us boys, there hasn't been much. I can't shake the feeling that a full on suit might be a bit much for a vet school interview. I was thinking of doing a sports jacket/dress pants/tie combo instead. Any thoughts from the ladies and gents on that approach? Still nice, but not I'm-interviewing-for-a-Wall-Street-job. For the guys, or for the women who have seen guys at vet school interviews, do guys always show up in suits, or would it be ok to do something a bit less intense?

I definitely saw guys in similar outfits to what you described when I interviewed last year. I also saw men in full out suits and I feel like they tended to be older than just right out of college/college jr and sr. One in particular is standing out and veterinary medicine was his 2nd career choice (he was an architect previously). I think as longs are your dressed in business/professional attire, you should be okay. Just no jeans. I saw a girl show up in jeans and a turtle neck sweater...

If I were a guy, I'd probably wear a suit. At Ohio, all the guys I saw had suits, some even had the little handkerchief thing in their pocket haha. If the girls are mostly all wearing suits, I don't see a reason why the guys shouldn't be able to and all my pre med/dent/vet friends who are guys have worn suits to their interviews. If you're uncomfortable with that I'm sure the jacket/dress pants combo would be fine but I don't think a suit would be overkill.

If I were a guy, I'd probably wear a suit. At Ohio, all the guys I saw had suits, some even had the little handkerchief thing in their pocket haha. If the girls are mostly all wearing suits, I don't see a reason why the guys shouldn't be able to and all my pre med/dent/vet friends who are guys have worn suits to their interviews. If you're uncomfortable with that I'm sure the jacket/dress pants combo would be fine but I don't think a suit would be overkill.
This is good scoop. Thanks guys. I'm also a 2nd career guy (5 years as a lawyer - eek!). Most vet people seem to be sooo much more laid back than my previous colleagues that I was thinking I would feel silly in a suit. Sounds like I might be wrong on that, though. Thanks!

As for the jeans/turtleneck combo, just wow.

Is it wrong to say I would be angry/annoyed/upset if she did? As much as I want everyone to get in, I just think that's unacceptable when you're applying to a professional program.

Nah, I don't think its wrong to get annoyed. Its probably the same annoyance I get when I know my friend was out at the bar getting drunk when I was in studying and he still lands a better score then me.

This is good scoop. Thanks guys. I'm also a 2nd career guy (5 years as a lawyer - eek!). Most vet people seem to be sooo much more laid back than my previous colleagues that I was thinking I would feel silly in a suit. Sounds like I might be wrong on that, though. Thanks!

As for the jeans/turtleneck combo, just wow.

Wow 5yrs as a lawyer?:eek: What made you jump ship?

Nah, I don't think its wrong to get annoyed. Its probably the same annoyance I get when I know my friend was out at the bar getting drunk when I was in studying and he still lands a better score then me.

That's always frustrating.I definitely knew people who could do that. My roommate from senior year once took her French notes with her to the bar to occasionally study. I think she got an A on her test. She's also just good at languages. She's pretty much fluent in Spanish and knows a good bit of Italian after taking a year of it and studying in Rome for a semester. I could never pull anything like that off. I'm usually too dead/tired the next day to be capable of that kind of brain function and focus.

Soooo not what I was meant to be doing with my life. I was absolutely, 100% miserable. Every. Single. Day.

Understandable.

That's always frustrating.I definitely knew people who could do that. My roommate from senior year once took her French notes with her to the bar to occasionally study. I think she got an A on her test. She's also just good at languages. She's pretty much fluent in Spanish and knows a good bit of Italian after taking a year of it and studying in Rome for a semester. I could never pull anything like that off. I'm usually too dead/tired the next day to be capable of that kind of brain function and focus.

Sometimes, okay most of the time, I wish I was like those people.

Soooo not what I was meant to be doing with my life. I was absolutely, 100% miserable. Every. Single. Day.

Props to you for having the guts to walk away to pursue something you love! :clap:

As for couture, I think that a suit, sans vest, is your best bet. I see the med school hopefuls every Tuesday... LOTS of guys... 99% in honest navy blue jackets and matching pants with white shirts and red/maroon ties. When I see something different (ie - charcoal) I sneak in a :thumbup: if I can catch his attention. Though it's kinda hard when they all look like dear in headlights... I did see a marvelous blue paisley tie a couple of weeks back - he almost got a whistle! :cool:

As far as female interview attire, can you be held accountable for being "too fashionable"? I adore clothes, am a sucker for high end designers, and I'm starting to get the feeling that if I'm not a little on the dowdy side it looks bad. I'm not talking about some outrageous outfit, but I prefer (dark) skirt suits (they are more flattering for my figure), obviously knee length, and heels. In most businesses, 4 in heels and under are considered appropriate for the workplace, but I'm getting the impression that that's not the case here???

What's everyone's experiences on heel length and skirts vs. pants???

As far as female interview attire, can you be held accountable for being "too fashionable"? I adore clothes, am a sucker for high end designers, and I'm starting to get the feeling that if I'm not a little on the dowdy side it looks bad. I'm not talking about some outrageous outfit, but I prefer (dark) skirt suits (they are more flattering for my figure), obviously knee length, and heels. In most businesses, 4 in heels and under are considered appropriate for the workplace, but I'm getting the impression that that's not the case here???

I was told by my professor to keep heels on the short side. You'll most likely be doing a tour through the facilities and she's had students come back to her from med school interviews thanking her for the advice. With the shorter heels, they were able to keep up with the student/faculty member giving the tour and weren't slipping on the floors or anything like that. I know I would definitely be a straggler if I wore higher heels on a tour. And I wore a skirt suit to my interviews last year. I don't think it really matters if you wear pants vs a skirt as long as it looks professional on you.

I was told by my professor to keep heels on the short side. You'll most likely be doing a tour through the facilities and she's had students come back to her from med school interviews thanking her for the advice. With the shorter heels, they were able to keep up with the student/faculty member giving the tour and weren't slipping on the floors or anything like that. I know I would definitely be a straggler if I wore higher heels on a tour. And I wore a skirt suit to my interviews last year. I don't think it really matters if you wear pants vs a skirt as long as it looks professional on you.

Thanks! I'll remember that about the tours. And hey, if I get invited to interview...I'll take any opportunity to buy new shoes!

What day is your interview? Morning or afternoon? I ask because I'll be there doing tours and panels for the people who have afternoon interviews on the 9th and 10th, so if that's you and I can answer any questions that day that will put your mind at ease, let me know!

My interview is on the 9th in the afternoon. I am a little more comfortable that you will be one of the students on the panel!

And thank you to everyone who gave me insight on my outfit. It is reassuring to know the feelings of others who are going through or have gone through this process. I was pretty confident about this interview a few days ago, but now I just have an overwhelming feeling that I am not going to get in. I hope I can regain my confidence at somepoint between my finals and my interview.

Having said that, I like what your boyfriend is saying. He isn't saying it isn't difficult, he is saying he unconditionally loves you regardless of the outcome. You really need someone like that who is detached from the outcome, and isn't being unrealistic about his expectations for you like the others around you are.

Sounds like you need someone to keep you grounded, whilst you (understandably) do the worrying!

This is so true :) All of it!

I think it depends a lot on the school. I heard that texas a&m says no to skirts and heels over an inch or two, but I think that's on the extreme side--mostly my schools' advising people tell us to just wear something professional and comfortable to you. I doubt you'll be judged for wearing designers, mostly because the people that know who the designers are are probably into them anyways, and the people who aren't will be ignorant of them so they won't even know you're wearing the designer, let alone judge you for it. :)

I think it depends a lot on the school. I heard that texas a&m says no to skirts and heels over an inch or two, but I think that's on the extreme side--mostly my schools' advising people tell us to just wear something professional and comfortable to you. I doubt you'll be judged for wearing designers, mostly because the people that know who the designers are are probably into them anyways, and the people who aren't will be ignorant of them so they won't even know you're wearing the designer, let alone judge you for it. :)

I agree with this... my best interview clothes (for any occasion) are a suit with pants and dress "loafers" (because I don't know proper shoe terminology hahaha) Skirts are difficult to sit in for me, I'm too afraid of flashing the poor interview board hahaha

I think it depends a lot on the school. I heard that texas a&m says no to skirts and heels over an inch or two, but I think that's on the extreme side

That's really interesting. When given the interview spiel in UG for both health professions related things and business/law type interview, I was told that you need to do your homework beforehand to figure out the culture at the particular interview site... and that some of the most conservative places find only the traditional skirt suit appropriate for females. Apparently, pant suits are a bit too edgy. Maybe none of the vet schools are that fuddy duddy and the more conservative vet schools instead worry more about the too sexy component? But then again, it may be that sexy gives females an edge in more male dominated fields? Men are such pigs. lol

I haven't told many people that I applied this year, but I seem to have the opposite problem as the rest of you. People keep telling me I'm NOT going to get in. Worst of all, they are strangers!

I was at the doctor's office and mentioned it, and the doc actually said that I wouldn't get in unless I knew a senator or donated money. In the Rant thread I posted about a stranger who overheard my husband and I talking about it last night and interrupted our conversation to tell me that I wouldn't get in. I met my mom's boss over the holidays (he's a radiologist), and he said there's no way I'd get in because - wait for it - I'm TOO OLD.

I'm not a vindictive person, so it will be really hard not to be a total jerk to them if I do get in.

On an unrelated note, I really wish I would have applied to more schools, particularly those that are sending interview invites, like, now. I just want to know something, anything!

I really wish you were kidding! People have no right to tell somebody else that they have no chance of getting into professional school.

You, however, have every right to rub it in their faces when you get in! :smuggrin:

People are jerks.

In a few months you'll have an acceptance to smack them in the face with. I had some negative nancy's in my neighborhood around this time last year, but they eventually had to eat their nasty words.

Keep your head up, guys! Honestly, you won't even notice or remember those people when you have a ticket to vet school. :)

There sure is a lot of jealousy out there! You just have to have your own confidence in what you're doing and ignore these naysayers.

On a different topic, I found out today that one of my colleges sent a transcript that belonged to someone with a similar name as mine to all three of the vet schools I applied to. Penn admissions alerted me. I called the registrar of the college which sent the wrong transcripts and they are sending out the correct one today. I had all A's at that college, too, so I hate to think that the admissions committees are using someone else's grades to evaluate me! I hope this will not have a bad influence on my outcome. So far Tufts and Penn have been great about it, realizing it wasn't my fault. I'm still waiting to see if Cornell is also sympathetic to the situation. Ugh!

This warms my heart that he cared so much, but I can also see the implications of "connections" that you might. To me, I would assume the PI giving the dean a piece of his mind would show the dean his frustration about you as an awesome person not getting in, rather than him trying to influence your app status. Did this PI write you a LOR? if not, you should totally tap him in the future for such (after we all get in this year, darn it!!)

She did write me a LOR this year and last. The file review that I got last year said that her letter was excellent as well, so I included her again this year. And Yes we will all get in this year!!!

That is so strange... my eye doctor tried to talk me out of it too :laugh: must be a conspiracy

So did my eye doctor!!! He said "You know vet school is hard to get into...."

I haven't told many people that I applied this year, but I seem to have the opposite problem as the rest of you. People keep telling me I'm NOT going to get in. Worst of all, they are strangers!

I got a lot of that last year from other pre-vet students. There were two guys working at a vet clinic that I volunteered at that had applied and been rejected 5 and 6 years in a row respectively. They both were like "You had better have a back-up plan because you're not getting in this year".

On an unrelated note, I really wish I would have applied to more schools, particularly those that are sending interview invites, like, now. I just want to know something, anything!

I truely don't think your stress level would go down if you had applied to more schools because you would either be concerned about interviews, or about not getting an interview. Concider yourself lucky that you are not hearing anything yet.

I told my doctor that I was a vet student. I do not recommend this.

The rest of my lady exam was spent with her talking about how her cat got cytauxzoon and asking questions about disease transmission by ticks. Speculum + pop quiz = pretty awkward.

I told my doctor that I was a vet student. I do not recommend this.

The rest of my lady exam was spent with her talking about how her cat got cytauxzoon and asking questions about disease transmission by ticks. Speculum + pop quiz = pretty awkward.

GAHH!! No thank you.

And, umm, what's with this eye doctor conspiracy?? And why is everyone going to the eye doctor? Do you all wear glasses/contacts? I don't even remember the last time I saw an eye doctor!!! :confused:

GAHH!! No thank you.

And, umm, what's with this eye doctor conspiracy?? And why is everyone going to the eye doctor? Do you all wear glasses/contacts? I don't even remember the last time I saw an eye doctor!!! :confused:

I thought you were confused - I was about to be like, "Nooooo I'm not taking about eyes here...." Lol.

I haven't seen an eye doc at all except for one time I got a bit of metal stuck under my eyelid (from reading a book while on my back - fell out of pages into my eye). No glasses. But maybe someday, if I spend some time behind a microscope...

I have an eye doc appointment on the 8th...I'm wondering if I should cancel it until this admissions rigamaroll is over, or if I should casually mention vet school to see if my eye doctor is part of this conspiracy!

I can't shake the feeling that a full on suit might be a bit much for a vet school interview. I was thinking of doing a sports jacket/dress pants/tie combo instead. Any thoughts from the ladies and gents on that approach? Still nice, but not I'm-interviewing-for-a-Wall-Street-job. For the guys, or for the women who have seen guys at vet school interviews, do guys always show up in suits, or would it be ok to do something a bit less intense?

Virtually every guy, including me, that I saw interviewing on my interview day was in a suit. I'm sure it's possible I'm forgetting the one oddball that may have shown up in ripped jeans and a tie-dye shirt, but.... ;)

A suit is absolutely appropriate, no question about it.

Virtually every guy, including me, that I saw interviewing on my interview day was in a suit. I'm sure it's possible I'm forgetting the one oddball that may have shown up in ripped jeans and a tie-dye shirt, but.... ;)

A suit is absolutely appropriate, no question about it.
:thumbup:

Saw the same at all 3 interviews I went to.

This is not a working interview for a vet job. Dress professionally and unfortunately for men there is only one option, dark suit, boring tie (ok I have to admit I may have worn an outlandish animal tie at least once).

My registration pass time for the CC which offers "Public Speaking" that is accepted by Western U is tomorrow at 8am. Registration for returning students began today, and ALL of the classes and wait lists are full already. I don't want to have spent $500 on applying to Western only to be denied a spot in a stupid CC class that is $36 a unit and be screwed. Why Western didn't like the course offered at the UC I work at is beyond me, but really, EVERYONE must be a comm major.

Blue's clues dress, scooby doo slippers......

My registration pass time for the CC which offers "Public Speaking" that is accepted by Western U is tomorrow at 8am. Registration for returning students began today, and ALL of the classes and wait lists are full already. I don't want to have spent $500 on applying to Western only to be denied a spot in a stupid CC class that is $36 a unit and be screwed. Why Western didn't like the course offered at the UC I work at is beyond me, but really, EVERYONE must be a comm major.

Call them, email professors, etc. I had the same thing happen with the statistics class I tried to sign up for (except my problem was that they took too long to process my transcript, leading to the class closing). I emailed the professor explaining that I needed to take the class to be able to apply to vet school and she manually added me.

(ok I have to admit I may have worn an outlandish animal tie at least once).

Ugh ties are the main reason I am jealous of male clothing. If I were male I would have the most ridiculous collection of crazy ties. I've just resorted to crazy socks as a girl.