The time has come

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc2tarheels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally. lol. I've sent my optomcas app in and it's been verified. I've completed 3 of the 5 supplemental apps. However, I take my OAT in 12 days. Here's my stats...
-GPA 3.16 (I started college at 18, and stopped going. I'm 26 now and am in my 3rd year. My GPA since starting back is a 3.54.
-I have 9 years of optical experience. Everything from a managerial lab position, to a wholesale lab, to someone that checks vision acuities.
-EC's are decent. I have "enough" but I worked 40 hours in optical during 80% of my college career.

With the only thing missing, my OAT, do you think I have a DECENT shot? I know it's hard to say without an OAT, but if I do decent and score 330 or so....? I won't have a bachelor's yet, but I will have pre-req's complete. I've only applied to schools that don't require bachelors.
-SCO
-PCO
-NOVA
-UAB
-SUNY

Members don't see this ad.

Finally. lol. I've sent my optomcas app in and it's been verified. I've completed 3 of the 5 supplemental apps. However, I take my OAT in 12 days. Here's my stats...
-GPA 3.16 (I started college at 18, and stopped going. I'm 26 now and am in my 3rd year. My GPA since starting back is a 3.54.
-I have 9 years of optical experience. Everything from a managerial lab position, to a wholesale lab, to someone that checks vision acuities.
-EC's are decent. I have "enough" but I worked 40 hours in optical during 80% of my college career.

With the only thing missing, my OAT, do you think I have a DECENT shot? I know it's hard to say without an OAT, but if I do decent and score 330 or so....? I won't have a bachelor's yet, but I will have pre-req's complete. I've only applied to schools that don't require bachelors.
-SCO
-PCO
-NOVA
-UAB
-SUNY

In general, schools that don't require a bachelors would require a higher GPA than what you have. So you may need a lot better than a 330 to override that. If you had your bachelors, your application would likely be as competitive as most other people's would be.

But apply anyways.....you never know.

Not sure if it matters, but the optomcas gpa shows a 3.16. My transcript GPA shows a 3.35. I started school back Jan of 2008 and my GPA for my 2 years of classes is a 3.54 and I do have an Associates in Science.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.96 and got a 360 on the OAT and am applying after my 3rd year and Im not even sure if I'll get in now or have to reapply after I finish this year

I would say if this is what you want to do, then it's very obviously worth a try. Sounds like you agree, because you've already gotten this far in the admissions process, good job! Try to do as well on the OAT as you possibly can; also, wasn't there a section in OptomCAS that let you add any additional info you think the schools should know? This is where you could mention your change in GPA-- how you've come back to school, are doing well now, have had to balance it all with a lot of work, and in the meantime have had a great opportunity to learn that optometry is for you, and so on.. Worst case scenario, things don't work out, and you ask the schools what would make you a stronger applicant. Likely they'd recommend continuing to go to school, working towards a bachelors while getting good grades, and reapplying in the next year or 2 (or whenever you'd be in your senior year of your bachelors degree).

Hope that helps, and good luck!!

It is pretty hard to say anything about where you stand without the rest of your application... but I think your returning GPA would most likely be considered more significant than the grades you got 8 years ago. Especially if you weren't taking science courses then (I have no idea, I'm just giving a hypothetical). Admissions committees always consider trends, and clearly you show that you're working hard to atone for digging yourself into a hole before.

You should use your non-traditional experiences to your advantage (during your interview/essays etc). Good luck on the OAT!

Yes, during my essay, I explained my situation as well. My son had health complications and required my time. He had "extensive" treatment and I explained that that was the reason for my lack of grades early in my college career.

I have a 3.96 and got a 360 on the OAT and am applying after my 3rd year and Im not even sure if I'll get in now or have to reapply after I finish this year

Wow, Congrats on the great GPA. However, I'm hoping that having NINE years of optical experience and training in the field from every aspect will give me a boost.