The times they are a-changin': Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdragon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of respect for the evidence-based approach to change from many of our anesthesiology colleagues. After spearheading the use of checklists and leading the charge to learn from aviation safety, they have now responded to the ABIM controversy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...154a48-571f-11e5-abe9-27d53f250b11_story.html

ABEM, who's next?!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a ton of respect for the evidence-based approach to change from many of our anesthesiology colleagues. After spearheading the use of checklists and leading the charge to learn from aviation safety, they have now responded to the ABIM controversy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...154a48-571f-11e5-abe9-27d53f250b11_story.html

ABEM, who's next?!!

I like this approach...but then they still want to charge $2100 for it. They'll still get our money somehow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like this approach...but then they still want to charge $2100 for it. They'll still get our money somehow.

Oh yes they are. Don't you realize that it takes $2100 to set up a 10-year intermittent quiz plan just like it costs $2100 to set up a massive centralized exam and rent out a hotel?

It's all about money, and has nothing to do with "certification". These specialty boards need to justify their own existence, and keep their staff employed so they come up with arbitrary certification methods. Does anyone here really think a practicing EM physician needs to take a board exam? Does the board exam improve quality of care? No of course not but it's all about money.

It's all about money, and has nothing to do with "certification". These specialty boards need to justify their own existence, and keep their staff employed so they come up with arbitrary certification methods. Does anyone here really think a practicing EM physician needs to take a board exam? Does the board exam improve quality of care? No of course not but it's all about money.
There's probably something there in the "practicing" arena that would justify retaking the written boards. The LLSA basically acts like the quizzes the other specialties are proposing, so maybe reserve the recert exam for docs that fall below x hrs/year using a rolling 5 year average?

Edit: When the hell did they add a patient safety LLSA activity requirement? I guess they needed another $100 to finally afford the nice furniture for the boardroom.

Last edited:
I'd pay the 2100 to not have to take it! Considering the amount of money I could have made while cramming or just working a shift instead of test day.

Jeff Kline pretty much nailed it:
I take my 20 year boards on Wednesday. I wonder if they will ask any questions on PE. If so I will probably miss them.